Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Connorzee wrote: »
    Am i the only that thinks buying the players top teams are trying to get rid of to buy better players is a tad strange. Why arent we competing with these better teams, like Real, to get the players they want (and obv we want) instead of buying the players they're offloading to fund other players!

Ideally yes but reality bites, I'm afraid. things are improving but we're not in their league financially

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Am i the only that thinks buying the players top teams are trying to get rid of to buy better players is a tad strange. Why arent we competing with these better teams, like Real, to get the players they want (and obv we want) instead of buying the players they're offloading to fund other players!
    Because we can't compete with Real and Barcelona, either financially or in terms of appealing to top players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

I'm sure if i googled it i could find some great examples of teams selling players they dont want and the players finding major success elsewhere, for me Kroos is not much better than Khedira, 2 slightly diff players aswell, we also don't need certain players that teams are bringing in.

Regardless of any of that we should be focused on what WE need and not on who other teams are bringing in, do we need a holding midfielder who can play with Ozil yes? So lets get him, do we need a Winger/Striker with pace skill and technique? yes, lets get him.
    Raf32 wrote: »
    Biggest loss of the summer for me :(

Absolute babe :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Real Madrid are nutjobs and this has always been their way, buying the flavour of the month players and shipping out players, who are still great themselves, to pay for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I'm sure if i googled it i could find some great examples of teams selling players they dont want and the players finding major success elsewhere, for me Kroos is not much better than Khedira, 2 slightly diff players aswell, we also don't need certain players that teams are bringing in.

Robben is one anyway, Real are always getting rid of great players.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Po4wPHI.jpg

"On this day in 2000, Arsenal signed Pires from Marseille. What are your favourite memories of him?" Lob vs Aston villa and that screamer against southampton?? we won like 16-0. What i'd give for a Robert Pires.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

"On this day in 2000, Arsenal signed Pires from Marseille. What are your favourite memories of him?" Lob vs Aston villa and that screamer against southampton?? we won like 16-0. What i'd give for a Robert Pires.

Winning that clear cut stone wall penalty against Portsmouth which acted as the catalyst to go on and win the league unbeaten. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

gandalf wrote: »

Too much of a distraction for the male players, that's why we didn't win the league last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Too much of a distraction for the male players, that's why we didn't win the league last year.

Sorry I can't understand what you're saying I'm too busy drooling at the screen :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Some people wear Superman pyjamas. Superman wears Bobby Pires pyjamas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Probably not as good as either of those goals, but my favourite of his is the winner against the Pool in a 2-1 victory at Anfield during the unbeaten season. I remember my Liverpool supporting mate telling me he was shít even after that. LOL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Jaafa wrote: »
    Apparently we've bid 30mil for Khedira and Ozil is whispering in his ear.

http://www.mundodeportivo.com/20140703/real-madrid/el-arsenal-a-por-khedira_54410682346.html

Seems a lot for someone whose contract ends next summer.. Even still he'd be perfect for us. Also having Ozil,Pod and BFG at the club would be a big reason for him to join.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭ronjo

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Seems a lot for someone whose contract ends next summer.. Even still he'd be perfect for us. Also having Ozil,Pod and BFG at the club would be a big reason for him to join.

dont care, doesnt matter to us.... Sign him up Arsene.
    Khedira, Sanchez and Debuchy...... then keep Vermaelen and sign a backup keeper and job pretty much done even without left winger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

ronjo wrote: »
    dont care, doesnt matter to us.... Sign him up Arsene.
    Khedira, Sanchez and Debuchy...... then keep Vermaelen and sign a backup keeper and job pretty much done even without left winger.

Sanchez is more of a winger than a striker

You couldnt go by Real though. They dont structure a team specifically, they just buy who is in vogue and ship out someone regardless of how good he is.

Ill have a bit of Khedira no bother. One mans trash is another mans treasure. And to be fair also we paid through the eyeballs for Ozil. They rated him going by his valuation for sure only they had a new toy to play with at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭egghead.

Really hope ozil finishes the world cup with some good performances.

The criticism lately has been unfair, last thing we need is it affecting him for the new season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

egghead. wrote: »

The criticism lately has been unfair, last thing we need is it affecting him for the new season.

WTF ?? He is playing very well. If he wasn't he'd be dropped.

• Advertisement

egghead. wrote: »

The English media dont appreciate a player like Ozil they would rather somebody like Robbie Savage who just runs around the pitch like a headless chicken for 90 minutes, its no wonder there national team do so poorly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

It has to be the peno he and Henry fk'd up against Man City was comedy gold. Absolute classic and there reaction after the game

Gringo180 wrote: »
    The English media dont appreciate a player like Ozil they would rather somebody like Robbie Savage who just runs around the pitch like a headless chicken for 90 minutes, its no wonder there national team do so poorly.

Id agree, however, Ozil can be a bit too laid back at times. He had a poor cup final though to be fair Hull came out of the traps like lunatics in that game. We might see the real Ozil next season. We only seen a fraction of what he is capable of.

Chile showed in this world cup that you can combine flair with industry.

Nice 'Chile' themed Puma boot for our impending signing ;)
    http://www.footyheadlines.com/2014/06/puma-arsenal-evopower-evospeed-tricks-boots.html

Puma-Arsenal-evoPOWER-Tricks-2014-Boot+%283%29.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭egghead.

WTF ?? He is playing very well. If he wasn't he'd be dropped.

Em I know he is hence me saying unfair criticism.

A lot of idiot pundits are slating him, all I'm saying is I hope it doesn't knock his confidence.

Debuchy removed all links to Newcastle on his Twitter account.. Make of it what you will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

And looks like Real are gona get Kroos so might need to offload the likes of Khedira. http://www.marca.com/2014/07/03/en/football/real_madrid/1404338408.html

Debuchy removed all links to Newcastle on his Twitter account.. Make of it what you will.

I'm pretty sure that's a done deal now. Doubt he'll be unveiled officially until France are out of/win the world cup though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

No way we get Vidal.

Vidal and Ramsey in midfield would be all kinds of awesome.

No way we get Vidal.

Agreed, but fingers crossed for Khedira over schneiderlin etc any day.

Promising stuff. I'm hopeful of a big Summer ahead.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭dinorebel

If Sanchez and Debuchy sign along with a back up goalie Cambell coming into the reckoning and Walcott being fit I would be happy enough with Remy and Schneiderlin.Someone like Richards to cover central defence that's a decent squad IMO.

Maybe even a fit Diaby as well :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

dinorebel wrote: »
    If Sanchez and Debuchy sign along with a back up goalie Cambell coming into the reckoning and Walcott being fit I would be happy enough with Remy and Schneiderlin.Someone like Richards to cover central defence that's a decent squad IMO.

Maybe even a fit Diaby as well :D

I'd use Remy as a sub for Sanchez. I wasn't sure about Sanchez until I seen that video yesterday. Afterwards, I was sold on him. Love him or hate him, his ability reminded van Persie's and van Persie can finish off a game by his lonesome- well, he used to. Hopefully, RVP is past his prime. I want Manchester United to fade away like they did in the '80s.

Needs a watch.

Bit unnecessarily long, can kinda start from 1:30

Just thought i'd tease us all some more, last time i promise :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

to temper your excitement:
    Liverpool are offering more for Alexis.
    Arsenal’s offer of €32m was apparently €25m + €7m of ridiculous “incentives”.

FCB will keep the player if they don’t get the €40m they want.
    Liverpool willing to go over that amount, if they can convince the player to sign.

And I wonder where Juve fit into all of this - his first choice apparently ?

Source?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

It will be truly unforgivable if we miss out on Sanchez over a couple of million.

I hope that's BS. The days of low ball offers should be well and truly behind us at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I'd rather we throw our £35m at Vidal first and see if it sticks before we try Sanchez.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭fulmer1984

Source?

Twitter :P

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

Sanchez says he likes beans on toast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

€40mill for Sanchez seems a lot.

• Advertisement

bad2dabone wrote: »
    to temper your excitement:

We really are tight bastard$ :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thats what 21 goals and 12 assists cost..
    Its a perfectly reasonable amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Source?

I've a friend who lives in barcelona, he says it's all over the catalan media and Graham hunter said as much yesterday.

it's not like we don't have history of penny pinching.

He is worth every penny in my opinion. This chap could win us a league and make us big contenders in the Champions Lge, a good friend of mine is a mad Barca fan and he reckons he has got a raw deal off the club and deserves to be one of the first players on there team sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Thats what 21 goals and 12 assists cost..
    Its a perfectly reasonable amount.

Giroud scored more with similar assists. Didn't cost 40mill.
    Don't get me wrong, i'd love to get him. I just thought early thirties would have been the value.
    That said, in world where David Luiz is 50mill, who the f*ck knows.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement