Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭seany212121

Dickerty wrote: »
    As a Pool fan (who came in to get a take on the Sanchez thing), I have to agree!

You win your first trophy in YONKS, and you think that gives you bragging rights. Even though you haven't broken into the top 2 in 10 years.
    Convenient how apparently that doesn't matter once you finish in the top 4?

I don't hate Arsenal fans, but a decade of "This is good enough" and selling your star players has made you look for every possible argument as to why this is really ok...

This is just plain stupid you can say arsenal haven't made the top 2 in 10 years but we can say Liverpool haven't won a league title in 22 years, paint it what ever way you like. Every fan will brag about winning a trophy and the days of Arsenal selling there best player are over really. Do you honestly think without Saurez next year Liverpool can challenge, unless they get the exact same player as him they more then likely wont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Yeh, cause you'd never do that.

Overmars
    Henry
    Fabregas
    Song
    Nasri
    RVP

Riiiiiight....
    You're going back 14 years here, absolutely hilarious. You do realise we won 5 trophies after we sold Overmars?

Regardless, I was talking about now :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭ronjo

Overmars
    Henry
    Fabregas
    Song
    Nasri
    RVP

Riiiiiight....

Thats in the past baby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Leave him alone, there'll be plenty of time for bragging when Liverpool are floundering in mid table after having sold their star player and replaced with the likes of Lallana - ala Spurs and Bale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

But we AREN'T bragging. You are. You haven't won the league in 10 years, what's the statute on no longer being a big team?

And we have won the CL and UEFA cup in that 22 years you mentioned, isn't that worth a lot more than qualifying ever year and getting nowhere?
    What's the point in that?

At the end of the day, neither one of us is in a position to say "We are far bigger/better/more attractive", which is what I was trying to say, but surprise surprise, someone doesn't want to be told that the Emporer has no clothes on....

I'm bragging? Jeeze that's news to me buddy. You won the CL and Uefa in 22 years yes, we lost in finals in both of those competitions, we haven't won the CL prob cause we were too busy doing 2 doubles winning 3 PL's and going an entire season unbeaten, something that no other team can "brag about" go back to the Liverpool discussion thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

So you're saying that Arsenal can't brag about winning the FA cup but Liverpool can for coming 2nd?

Nobody has been happy to be just finishing in the top 4 or having our players leave. But a lot of people can understand why it happened with the stadium being built.

And again - I never said we had bragging rights over you.

I am glad you understand that, but you shouldn't be satisfied that you have won something. You should be livid that it took this long. We are glad to be back in the CL, but not happy if it's not a springboard to something bigger...

ronjo wrote: »
    Thats in the past baby

Everything is in the past the moment it's done!
    But it's VERY rich of an Arsenal fan to make fun of a team for selling their star player.

I didn't bring it up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Can you read? I never claimed ANY bragging rights. I just said your team didn't have them either. Pretty simple really. :o

Grand you are not happy about where Liverpool are (no trophies, selling their best player). We get that. You want Arsenal fans to join you in unhappiness. We get that.

Unfortunately, we are F.A. Cup holders, are holding on to all of our best players, and are looking good for the next few seasons. Sorry, just can't give you your wish. We are in a better place than Liverpool and well, if that's all the bragging rights we have, so be it.

This is just plain stupid you can say arsenal haven't made the top 2 in 10 years but we can say Liverpool haven't won a league title in 22 years, paint it what ever way you like. Every fan will brag about winning a trophy and the days of Arsenal selling there best player are over really. Do you honestly think without Saurez next year Liverpool can challenge, unless they get the exact same player as him they more then likely wont.

Didn't you manage to retain your position in the table despite repeatedly selling your star players? No reason we couldn't do that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

I am glad you understand that, but you shouldn't be satisfied that you have won something. You should be livid that it took this long. We are glad to be back in the CL, but not happy if it's not a springboard to something bigger...

Don't get your hopes up.

Leave him alone, there'll be plenty of time for bragging when Liverpool are floundering in mid table after having sold their star player and replaced with the likes of Lallana - ala Spurs and Bale.

Ricky Lambert was bought to replace Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I can see them struggle the way Spurs did without Bale, there no replacing Suarez unless its Messi or Ronaldo, double that up with the congestion of 2 games a week next season I think Liverpool would be doing remarkably well to mount a serious title challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

I don't hate Arsenal fans, but a decade of "This is good enough" and selling your star players has made you look for every possible argument as to why this is really ok...

But that is whats happening to Liverpool, Owen, McManaman, Alonso, Torres, Mascherano, Suarez all arguably Liverpool's most recent stars who have been sold when a bigger club has come knocking.

Granted Liverpool have had better recent success (last 10 years) in terms of trophies, however Arsenal have remained in the top for while working off a much reduced budget. Lets see how Liverpool perform when Suarez is gone, as Arsenal have a track record of staying consistent even after losing their star players.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

Godge wrote: »
    We are in a better place than Liverpool and well, if that's all the bragging rights we have, so be it.

That's fine, you are entitled to your opinion. Let's wait and see what happens in the next 2 months (you are losing two starting defenders, yes?) and then decide who's better placed...

I'm so glad I came in here. Such a balance set of individuals...

Didn't you manage to retain your position in the table despite repeatedly selling your star players? No reason we couldn't do that...

Arsenal have never been a one man team though. Liverpool have been for years.

• Advertisement

He was, yep. :rolleyes:

That's fine, you are entitled to your opinion. Let's wait and see what happens in the next 2 months (you are losing two starting defenders, yes?) and then decide who's better placed...

Wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Overmars
    Henry
    Fabregas
    Song
    Nasri
    RVP

Riiiiiight....

Alonso
    Macherano
    Torres
    Gerrard begged to leave
    Suarez begged to leave

Name me any top players ye had that stayed

Any decent player ye had jumped ship or begged to jump ship

Arsenal have never been a one man team though. Liverpool have been for years.

Which one man? Gerrard? Suarez? Torres? Owen?

Weren't you a one man team with RVP carrying you, and you survived without him?

Nope, we have lost one starting defender Sagna, who was 31 and close to the end of his career. Natural evolution of the squad.

A second defender, back-up centre-half is heading into the final year of his contract, we are not likely to offer an extension, so everyone is looking at options, which include him running down his contract.

Debuchy, Aurier, or a promoted Jenkinson to replace Sagna, seems business as normal to me.

• Advertisement

Which one man? Gerrard? Suarez? Torres? Owen?

Weren't you a one man team with RVP carrying you, and you survived without him?

Suarez last couple of years, Torres before that, Gerrard before that (he's been ****e for years now)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Sure suarez has past his peak and is in decline according to some in the Liverpool thread

Wrong.

Sagna and Vermaelen? Or are you saying the latter isn't a first teamer??

Correct. He isn't. Also, he hasn't left yet.

Sagna leaving, as has been said above, is a natural evolution of the squad. I'd have liked to have kept him, but i think he'll be easily replaced.

Thomas Vermaelen played 14 of 38 league games last season, the majority as a sub. Not that's he's definitely leaving either. Oh, and Sagna looks to be replaced quite handily. Try again.

But that is whats happening to Liverpool, Owen, McManaman, Alonso, Torres, Mascherano, Suarez all arguably Liverpool's most recent stars who have been sold when a bigger club has come knocking.

Granted Liverpool have had better recent success (last 10 years) in terms of trophies, however Arsenal have remained in the top for while working off a much reduced budget. Lets see how Liverpool perform when Suarez is gone, as Arsenal have a track record of staying consistent even after losing their star players.

But I wasn't arguing that we don't sell players, I just thought it was hella-rich of an Arsenal fan to laugh at us selling our star player, when you do it probably every 2 seasons...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

You said two!!

I'm not too fussed about Sanga leaving. He's 31 and has broken his leg twice in two years. He ran his contract down. He will be replaced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

One starting defender. Liverpool hardly one to talk about defenders any way, they need a whole new back line.

But I wasn't arguing that we don't sell players, I just thought it was hella-rich of an Arsenal fan to laugh at us selling our star player, when you do it probably every 2 seasons...

Something we used to do. We have the clout now to avoid those things happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

The ignorance is killing me :mad:

• Advertisement

Thomas Vermaelen played 14 of 38 league games last season, the majority as a sub. Not that's he's definitely leaving either. Oh, and Sagna looks to be replaced quite handily. Try again.

Ah ok, so just because the Club Captain has a spell outside the first team, he is no longer a first team player? Whatever.

Sagna can be 68 years old, you are still losing a starting player, which is what I said...

The ignorance is killing me :mad:

Don't patronise me BOB. I know very well that he was out of the side, but he's still a first team player. In the way that Agger is for us.

Ah ok, so just because the Club Captain has a spell outside the first team, he is no longer a first team player? Whatever.

Sagna can be 68 years old, you are still losing a starting player, which is what I said...

He hasnt been a first team choice in a year and a half....
    Debuchy is every bit as good, good luck with glen johnson and flanagan (Cafu :pac: )

Any of you guys are welcome to bring your "we are better than you" arguments into the Pool forum, by the way. Will be a lot more sensible that's gone on in here...I'm out!

If you're going to come in here, don't spout nonsense please. Koscielny and Mertesacker have been our established centre halves for the last two years now.
    Any of you guys are welcome to bring your "we are better than you" arguments into the Pool forum, by the way. Will be a lot more sensible that's gone on in here...I'm out!
    Yes yes....bye now.

Must stop feeding this troll.

Must stop feeding this troll.

See, in our forum, that will get you a card. As I said, if you want a sensible discussion, you know where to go...

If you're going to come in here, don't spout nonsense please. Koscielny and Mertesacker have been our established centre halves for the last two years now.

Vermaelan started 29 games in 2012/13. But don't let things like facts get in the way...

See, in our forum, that will get you a card. As I said, if you want a sensible discussion, you know where to go...
    I thought you were leaving?
    Vermaelan started 29 games in 2012/13. But don't let things like facts get in the way...

Partially at leftback. Are you saying you know our team better than us?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭seany212121

Liverpool fans and sensible dont go in the same sentence :D

Like it or not Arsenal have always had a policy of not offering players over 30 a long term deal. Also Man City are just stupid with money. In Sagna's case he's a player I would prefer not to see go however with him being a free agent and most likely Arsenal only offering a 2 year contract it made financial sense for him to leave, get a longer contract at a higher wage and a nice signing on fee.

Vermaelen hasn't left, even if his wiki page suggests otherwise, nor is he a first team player any more. Club captaincy isn't like a starting place, it's not something that usually gets moved around, just because a player is dropped from the first team doesn't mean they are no longer the club captain.

Ok, thanks for that. G'bye now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

This was the funniest post

Cheek of Liverpool fans to say we are going overboard celebrating a trophy. If I remember correctly they were celebrating a trophy they didnt even win in the end last season, printing tshirts, the whole lot.

Not sure what his points were all about but was funny seeing him go back to share the exerpience in the Liverpool thread.

In fairness you cant go into an opposing teams thread, belittle there club, players or trophies and expect it to be met with open arms in this or any thread. there is just no discussion point there

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

If Sanchez has the option of LFC or us - under similar terms - then I'd see that as a barometer of which club is more fancied. The fact that the Suarez deal precludes Sanchez then I'd say he's not too keen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Liverpool fans and sensible dont go in the same sentence :D

Well that's just stupid for a variety of reasons.

Even from your perspective I can think of many, but lets go with two quick examples:

Liverpool fans are not sensible.

There is no such thing as a sensible Liverpool fan.

Now, while there merits of the above two sentences, can be left to pointless conjecture, yours on the otherhand is complete and utter bollocks.

Good day, Sir.

/Tips hat.

Yeah I'd a laugh when I looked at his post in the Liverpool thread "I went in to see their thoughts on Sanchez" leaving out the majority of his post and the fact we only talked about Liverpool because he started it off.

Hyzepher wrote: »
    If Sanchez has the option of LFC or us - under similar terms - then I'd see that as a barometer of which club is more fancied. The fact that the Suarez deal precludes Sanchez then I'd say he's not too keen

Not always it can come down to personnel, style of play etc.

Liverpool are an extremely appealing club to any player, anfield is a special place to play and they are back in CL.

We are the same just with different appeals. I would link player choice to club status.

ON the off chance Pool ever win the league again, I can't wait to use this line. "You won the league? Jesus, you must be FURIOUS!:mad:"

:pac:

edited/ Jesus, that's some amount of cards dished out. New record?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement