Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Was anticipating a load of Sanchez talk etc when I saw all the new pages in here!! To my disgust it was all feckin pool drivel. I really wouldn't take the bait lads, it's not worth the inevitable pollution of this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I don't think a player of Sanchez's quality would like to be used a make weight is any Suarez deal.

The Pool should just try to do two seperate deals. or jusy fcuk off and leave us Sanchez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Raf32 wrote: »

Ah now your fans petition was even funnier last year .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Linked to Khedira today, would he be a better option over Bender/morgan?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Don't see why people get the knickers in a twist over Liverpool fans

Banter is great craic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Don't see why people get the knickers in a twist over Liverpool fans

Banter is great craic

I like Liverpool fans, most are very knowledgeable about Soccer. They do tend to get a bit emotional at times though, but that is a good thing as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

5 pages in the last half an hour?

anchorman-well-that-escalated-quickly.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Dickerty wrote: »
    Don't patronise me BOB. I know very well that he was out of the side, but he's still a first team player. In the way that Agger is for us.

You said we were losing him, we're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Anyhow. Glad that's over.

Jesus, it's like an old firm game in here, yellow cards left right and centre, nobody even did anything :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Glad the bouncer came in to clear the dance floor there.

Anyways I think this is going to be a very successful transfer window for us. We seem to be linked with players who will do a great job for us to fill the holes in our team.

Still a bit worried about our striker options however.

Also Ozil this world cup. I think he has shown what he can do when around a solid attacking team. He's the oil needed for a powerful engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭ronjo

HazDanz wrote: »
    Also Ozil this world cup. I think he has shown what he can do when around a solid attacking team. He's the oil needed for a powerful engine.

Just how Wenger used to describe Pires

ronjo wrote: »
    Just how Wenger used to describe Pires

Now now, Ozil is no Pires, certainly not for Arsenal, i'm yet to be fully convinced by Ozil since coming here, i know it's only 1 year but he's been showing some really bad characteristics.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think he's suffered the same problem at the WC as he had all year with us, no pacey players making runs ahead of him. I think he's had an ok world cup though, some of the criticisms he's been getting were pretty exaggerated imo but he hasn't set the place alight for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

This was my favourite
    Don't patronise me BOB.

Sounds like something a wife would say

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I think he's suffered the same problem at the WC as he had all year with us, no pacey players making runs ahead of him. I think he's had an ok world cup though, some of the criticisms he's been getting were pretty exaggerated imo but he hasn't set the place alight for me.

I don't think he ever will set the place alight. I think he'll be very solid and clinical with what he does but won't do an amazing mazy run and score top corner. It's not his game and I don't think we should expect it.

Like you are saying if we manage to get speed near him - sanchez and walcott would be super. He would just provide and provide for them as long as they make the runs.

Clinical striker too would help, I like Giroud but he fell short on a few occasions this year. Ozil will stick the ball where you want it but it's up to the other boys to make the end product work. He's our quarter back in a sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Here was i thinking we're after signing some one with all the activity only to find just like my kitchen the window was left open two long and two flies came in and started that buzzing we heard last year :D

Now now, Ozil is no Pires, certainly not for Arsenal, i'm yet to be fully convinced by Ozil since coming here, i know it's only 1 year but he's been showing some really bad characteristics.

That really has nothing to do with what I wrote to be fair..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

his done hardly anything of note this WC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

his done hardly anything of note this WC.

Scored the winning goal in the last 16.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

I might just buck the trend here and say Ozil hasn't been a worldie nor has he been bad so far in the World Cup.
    He is doing as well as can be expected for playing on the wings imo.

That really has nothing to do with what I wrote to be fair..

You made a comparison between Ozil and Pires and i gave my thoughts? What's wrong with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

The truth is that Liverpool and Arsenal fans engage in oneupmanship because it's so close between us.

If either set of fans tried it with Chelsea or City, they'd just laugh.

We're ahead of them in terms of redevelopment and financing. They'd live to be in our position as it would mean they might not need to sell Suarez and they'd be buying more polished players rather than banking on potential.

They're ahead of us in terms of delivering on the pitch and have shown a couple of great spells of overachievement which we would have loved over the last ten years.

• Advertisement

Is their sound? I cant listen in work :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭egghead.

gosplan wrote: »
    The truth is that Liverpool and Arsenal fans engage in oneupmanship because it's so close between us.

If either set of fans tried it with Chelsea or City, they'd just laugh.

We're ahead of them in terms of redevelopment and financing. They'd live to be in our position as it would mean they might not need to sell Suarez and they'd be buying more polished players rather than banking on potential.

They're ahead of us in terms of delivering on the pitch and have shown a couple of great spells of overachievement which we would have loved over the last ten years.

Ahead of them in class and history too.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Invertpyramid

It's a good thing too. Those extra "history points" will be vital this year.

You made a comparison between Ozil and Pires and i gave my thoughts? What's wrong with that?

I actually didnt. I just mentioned that Wenger referred to Pires as the Oil also, which he did.

anyway, cracking days football today.... Cant wait for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Is their a bigger legend than Thierry Henry? rhetorical question btw :)
    Rhetorical or not, I'm answering it :pac:

Bergkamp-1.jpg

Favourite ever player, and for me there's not been a more technically talented player ever to play in the league.

• Advertisement

Is their sound? I cant listen in work :cool:

Just the crowd booing him and him booing them back :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

As a Pool fan (who came in to get a take on the Sanchez thing), I have to agree!

You win your first trophy in YONKS, and you think that gives you bragging rights. Even though you haven't broken into the top 2 in 10 years.
    Convenient how apparently that doesn't matter once you finish in the top 4?

I don't hate Arsenal fans, but a decade of "This is good enough" and selling your star players has made you look for every possible argument as to why this is really ok...

Like i said, do you get a trophy for becoming runners up in the title for the league?

Liverpool as runners up will be forgotten in a few months time. i cant even remember who was runners up the previous year of 12/13.

i do remember who won it though!

You wouldnt preach the same thing if liverpool won a cup this year and we finish runners up.

you be laughing at us not winning nout for 10 years and counting

I actually didnt. I just mentioned that Wenger referred to Pires as the Oil also, which he did.

anyway, cracking days football today.... Cant wait for it.

Comparison, mentioned in the same vain whatever, it's not like i insulted you or referred anything to you!

Sure is, can only catch the 2nd half tho :( who's the money on?

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

France and Columbia to go through, i hope Columbia go on to win it.

Comparison, mentioned in the same vain whatever, it's not like i insulted you or referred anything to you!

Sure is, can only catch the 2nd half tho :( who's the money on?

Germany and Columbia for me.

I think the germans will just be that little too strong for france who are yet to face a really class team, i hope to god Columbia win but i have a feeling Brazil will sneak through again.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Rocket_Man

Mertesacker dropped for today's game.

Rocket_Man wrote: »

Seems a bit silly being that France have no width and lack speed up top??

Rocket_Man wrote: »

Id say they are worried of the pace in that French team.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

They've started Griezmann who is pretty fast. I think Mert has suffered due to him having no-one fast like Kosc alongside him. Playing no natural fullbacks hasn't helped either though.

• Advertisement

i think its something we should look into in the away games against teams that are quick on the counter attack like Liverpool. Vermaelen is a great centre back and rotation wouldnt go a miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Maybe he got the flu worse than others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

As long as Low keeps playing 4 CB's in defence Mert can't start.

i think its something we should look into in the away games against teams that are quick on the counter attack like Liverpool. Vermaelen is a great centre back and rotation wouldnt go a miss.

I think Mert + Kosc or Verm works better than Kosc and Verm on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Breaking up the Mert Kos partnership is just crazy imo.

Have to agree with this, Vermaelen was my fav player in the world, and i hated Mertesacker and thought Kosc was alri but i was always begging for Kosc + Verm and anytime we got it they were poor :(

defo agree but just think Mert isnt suited to them games like the one at Anfield. We cant play a high line and push out because teams will just play in behind us. Only probably 3 or so games id go kos and vermaelen/whoever is third choice.

Breaking up the Mert Kos partnership is just crazy imo.

only for 2-3 games a year imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭yknaa

I see Anouk Hoogendijk has gone back to Ajax :(

You will be happy so to see Turid Knaak arrive then

• Advertisement

defo agree but just think Mert isnt suited to them games like the one at Anfield. We cant play a high line and push out because teams will just play in behind us. Only probably 3 or so games id go kos and vermaelen/whoever is third choice.

Could very well have worked better that day yeah, but Ii think the high line was the problem no Mert. Wenger needs to learn to change up his tactics against teams with such an attacking threat imo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement