Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

yknaa wrote: »
    You will be happy so to see Turid Knaak arrive then

Hah, I was just about to post that up actually :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Yup she's a quality bab... i mean footballer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

biobiochile.cl /2014/ 07/ 04/ arsenal- ofreceria- ostentoso- sueldo- para-quedarse -con -alexis -sanchez .shtml

Chilean Newspaper reporting that Alexis Sanchez has signed a 5 year deal 140k a week

...Rubbish?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭ronjo

byrneg28 wrote: »
    biobiochile.cl /2014/ 07/ 04/ arsenal- ofreceria- ostentoso- sueldo- para-quedarse -con -alexis -sanchez .shtml

Chilean Newspaper reporting that Alexis Sanchez has signed a 5 year deal 140k a week

...Rubbish?

It says he was offered it only

Google translate of article

Arsenal ostentatious salary offer to stay with Alexis Sánchez: $ 14 million per year

Alexis Sanchez's future seems far from Barcelona. Arsenal keep looking tocopillano services for next season, so it would offer a luxurious salary to sign for the national squad in London.

The "Gunners" tempt him with an annual salary of $ 14 million in a 5 year contract, similar to having the German Mesut Özil figure.

Thus, the "Boy Wonder" would gain much if staying in the Catalan squad, and that next season would charge U.S. $ 7.9 million and the next $ 8.5 million, has E

He was offered 5 years 140k per week, no signatures yet tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Doesn't say we have signed him, its says we have offered him a 5 year deal. Nothing new here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Raf32 wrote: »
    i think its something we should look into in the away games against teams that are quick on the counter attack like Liverpool. Vermaelen is a great centre back and rotation wouldnt go a miss.

I wouldn't really blame our defence on those defeats to be honest the problem was midfield left out defence wide open and stretched to the limit.

It why I think we're crying out for a DM or a player with a big physical presence who can Marshall the midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Bergkamp-1.jpg

Favourite ever player, and for me there's not been a more technically talented player ever to play in the league.

I'll go further. Bergkamp was the best player to have played the game in living memory. Sure, players like Maradon, Messi, Best were more likely to go on and win matches on their own, but Berkamp's technique was unparalled, and he used his intelligence and vision not to make himself stand out, but rather to make those around him stand out. And that wasn't just a by product of his style pf play, that's what he deliberately intended every time he got on the football. Henry, Pires, Vieira, Ljunberg, Kanu et al. would never have been the players they were if it weren't for Bergkamp. Even younger players like van Persie credit Bergkamp's influence for making them the players they are.

You can stick Messi/Maradona in an average team and they'll still be an average team, albiet with one player who can win things single handedly. You stick Bergkamp into an average team, and pretty soon they'll all turn into good players. Or to rephrase it, Messi and Maradona put in great match winning performances wherever they went. Bergkamp created great match winning performances in everyone else around him. That's why for me, he was the best.

Sorry, just after finishing Stillness and Speed and had to throw some love his way. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Interesting post above and I respect your views but I think that Messi and Maradona are both better than Bergkamp; no real dispute.

Better in what sense?

• Advertisement

cathalio11 wrote: »
    Interesting post above and I respect your views but I think that Messi and Maradona are both better than Bergkamp; no real dispute.

And I'm not going to argue with you, I completely respect your own opinion. Messi and Maradonna put in more match winning performances as individuals than Bergkamp ever did. But Bergkamp never wanted to be that kind of player.

Let me give you an example of this, most footballers are encouraged to practice shooting so that their finishing becomes automatic. Bergkamp did things differently, he practiced shooting to understand how the ball moved. Messi/Ronaldo et al. want their finishing to be instinctive, Bergkamp wanted his finishing to be deliberate. It's that approach that led to his decision making on the ball to being in a league of it's own and that for me is why he was the best.

Better in what sense?

I'm amazed that I have to explain why Messi and Maradona are better than Bergkamp.

They are magical footballers (Yes, Bergkamp can also be considered magical) who easily make the top 5 footballers of all time on most people's list.

Maradona is known for "single-handedly" winning the World Cup for Argentina. I think it's strange how he can be criticised for doing that because he didn't make other players look good.

They both achieved more individually and as a whole in their careers too. On its own, achievements don't win the argument; but coupled with the legacy they have left, it's very easy to say that they were an extra class above Bergkamp.

Bergkamp is in the top 3 Arsenal players of all-time. It's a huge, huge achievement because he was an awesome player.
    But Messi and Maradona are consistently in the top 5 players in the world. No romanticism in this thread will make me believe otherwise. Though, I am intrigued by the reasons behind the original post about it. I'm not rejecting it as a stupid argument because it is intelligent, but just something I don't believe.

I'm amazed that I have to explain why Messi and Maradona are better than Bergkamp.

They are magical footballers (Yes, Bergkamp can also be considered magical) who easily make the top 5 footballers of all time on most people's list.

Maradona is known for "single-handedly" winning the World Cup for Argentina. I think it's strange how he can be criticised for doing that because he didn't make other players look good.

They both achieved more individually and as a whole in their careers too. On its own, achievements don't win the argument; but coupled with the legacy they have left, it's very easy to say that they were an extra class above Bergkamp.

Bergkamp is in the top 3 Arsenal players of all-time. It's a huge, huge achievement because he was an awesome player.
    But Messi and Maradona are consistently in the top 5 players in the world. No romanticism in this thread will make me believe otherwise. Though, I am intrigued by the reasons behind the original post about it. I'm not rejecting it as a stupid argument because it is intelligent, but just something I don't believe.

I didn't ask what top 5 or top 10 bracket pop culture has put certain players in and i didn't ask for you to vaguely explain someone else's opinion on legacies.

Nobody has their own opinion on players anymore it's always just what there fed by the media, i asked a simple question and you didn't give me one example of how messi or maradonna are superior footballers to bergkamp?

For me the reason I would have Maradonna way ahead comes to big games.

Bergy got that fantastic goal against Argentina in the quarters but unfortuntely didnt show up in the semi really against Brazil.

Maradonna ran virtually every single game he played.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Reading the Germany v France match thread. Those people really hate Arsenal players!

Reading the Germany v France match thread. Those people really hate Arsenal players!

Probably a good chance the follow a team that was trophyless last year :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Not all of them !

greendom wrote: »
    Not all of them !

Ah yeah, you're a good skin!

I didn't ask what top 5 or top 10 bracket pop culture has put certain players in and i didn't ask for you to vaguely explain someone else's opinion on legacies.

I see no reason to argue with you because of the first line where you think you can eliminate my new points because you didn't ask me to make them. That's strange.
    Nobody has their own opinion on players anymore it's always just what there fed by the media, i asked a simple question and you didn't give me one example of how messi or maradonna are superior footballers to bergkamp?

I guess that's an example.

Honestly, I'd love to debate Bergkamp vs Messi/Maradona, but I don't want to debate on my ability to answer questions or how "vague" I am.

If I wanted my debating skills questioned, I wouldn't be on the Arsenal Forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Ah yeah, you're a good skin!

:-)

Although I want Ozil to have a stinker. Playing well at the moment though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Invertpyramid

Some people just judge players on their own merits, rather than what team they play for.

For example, one might say the German defence looks better since Mert was dropped and also say that Evra is a liability for the French defence.....without it being anything to do with Arsenal or United. I know conspiracies are sexier but usually its just people calling it as they see it.

I think it's strange how he can be criticised for doing that because he didn't make other players look good.

Whoah, whoah, whoah, whoah, whoah! Under no circumstances am I criticizing Maradona (well, for his performances on the pitch, off the field different story :pac:).

There are different ways to measure players contributions and performances. I value some aspects more than you do and vice versa, and my argument simply puts forward why I feel that way. That's all there is to it here. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Bromance
    BruAl0OCQAAAT42.jpg

So Suarez is gone, no sign of Sanchez moving the other way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Dafuq have I just read??!?!

Sakho :pac: how does he start above Kosc??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Time to **** or get off the pot now

Looking very good for us.

Has it been confirmed? Nothing on sky sports or BBC apps.

Sure if he's gone Liverpool will be fine sure they have Southhampton mk2 to step up and win the league :Pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Lots of outlets in Spain reporting it. Right Dick, get in there and get Sanchez sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

No-one else feeling really sorry for Jay Rodriguez?

Marca reporting that Sanchez deal will be done in hours and also that Kroos to Madrid is done.

The second part surely leaves the way open to nab someone good from them.

I said it all along - Wenger's out for world class talent. He has enough squad players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Mathieu Debuchy will join Arsenal from Newcastle for a fee in the region of £8m, according to L'Equipe.

shano_88 wrote: »
    Mathieu Debuchy will join Arsenal from Newcastle for a fee in the region of £8m, according to L'Equipe.

Crap, what will happen if Debuchy and Sanchez are done in the next day or two?

What will everyone moan about then?

gosplan wrote: »

This place will be buzzing!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

A few places reporting that we've put in a bid for khedira. Would make sense with Toni Kroos going to Madrid.

How much we're gonna win the league by!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

We'll start whinging because we haven't signed Messi or Neymar :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

Arsenal could be looking at their first summer in ages that the supporters are made really happy. Good for you guys, you deserve it after all the waiting and sensible business in the past. Sanchez would be an amazing asset to the team, what would it mean for Walcott though? (when he's not injured that is)

Arsenal could be looking at their first summer in ages that the supporters are made really happy. Good for you guys, you deserve it after all the waiting and sensible business in the past. Sanchez would be an amazing asset to the team, what would it mean for Walcott though? (when he's not injured that is)

Extra competition which is in no way a bad thing. Im expecting Walcott to have a huge season next year. He'll have a point to prove

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Sanchez on the left/CF and Walcott on the right surely? No need for them to be competing for a place.

And heaven forbid they get unveiled at the puma unveiling! Where would all the negative, "why haven't we signed anyone yet" brigade be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Lineup would be something like this should everything pan out.

http://lineupbuilder.com/?sk=3tx37

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Jaafa wrote: »

I just dribbled a bit.

Caz, Wilshere, Rosicky, Arteta, The Ox and Tommy V on the bench. Nice!

Shaping up to be a great squad. Keep it up and we'll be having a great tussle with Chelsea and City for the league.

Good to be a Gooner atm. These deals better get finalised quick though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Dont do it to yourselves lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

Sanchez on the left/CF and Walcott on the right surely? No need for them to be competing for a place.

That could work albeit he's never been played there in his career from what I've seen of him, to do that would mean that you'd be playing him as an inside forward cutting in on his right to shoot but that's never really been a feature of his play. It'll be interesting to see how they work him. If I was a gambling man I wouldn't bet on him playing on the left.

im confident on debuchy, nothing else tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

About Ozil being crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,416 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

back up goalie for me nothing less than the best goalie in the world to sit on our bench will do!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement