Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Will he pick us over Juve? If they're not selling Vidal I could see him going there instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Will he pick us over Juve? If they're not selling Vidal I could see him going there instead.

One easy way around that.

Buy Vidal too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

omega man wrote: »
    Raf32 wrote: »
    Would you blame him? :pac:
    However, it is not all good news for the Gunners, however, as Sanchez is also believed to prefer a move back to the Italian giants over a move to north London.

Don't get too excited Arsenal are masters at failing to close deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Wouldn't be at all surprised. It really is a dead end league at the moment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Raf32 wrote: »
    Ozil is performing better than all these lads who are all having great world cups. Being played out of position too.
    He really isn't tbh. He's not playing as bad as some make out, he's actually been decent but to say he's been better than Neymar or Rodriguez is nuts.

He kind of has been though. Ozil has been a constant threat, but his team mates play have kind of by passed though. Yesterday was a perfect example, he created two or three really good chances that should have resulted in goals but for sloppy play by his team mates. He's unlucky, in the sense most of his good work this tournament has been outside the box and facilitating the direct running of Muller and Schurrle when he comes on, and he's been prevented at times from joining those attacks by virtue of having to cover Kroos in particular. But if his team mates had been more clinical everybody would be talking about how Ozil is the player of the tournament.

And remember too, of the four above who played yesterday, Ozil is the only one you could say had a good game. At the quarter finals of the World Cup, that says a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

The **** Ozil gets on this forum is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

After going through all the latest Twitter/Paper/Other crap news sources.. It seems like Liverpool are out of the running for Sanchez.

A lot of Chilina News sources are reporting its between us and Juventus, which is weird because I heard they couldn't' afford Sanchez. Either Way most are saying our deal is more lucrative than Juve's (I'm guessing we're offer more cash upfront) but I think the option of playing with Vidal and moving back to Italy will be a big lure for Sanchez.

Edit: Also Debuchy is 100% gone! Newcastle just gave his number away to some other player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

I posted this earlier in the thread...
    I reckon any deal for Sanchez/Vidal could take ages. It's been clear since long before the season's end that both of them have a desire to play their club football together. Juventus could most likely facilitate this, but then there's reports of interest in both players from ourselves and Utd too which has gone and complicated things. So I reckon Sanchez will stall signing any deal until Vidals future becomes more certain. And I also reckon this is perhaps why Barca were also so willing to enter a cash only deal for Suarez so early in the negotiation process, even though Liverpool appear to place a higher valuation on him than any other club which would have made the deal a lot easier.

Then of course if Arsenal or someone else do bid for Vidal, he could stall until he knows what happens with his mate Sanchez... there's a risk it could all end up a bit of a Mexican standoff and nothing happens until 10pm deadline day! Oh joy!

So if the interest in Vidal from United and or ourselves is genuine I reckon Sanchez would come to Arsenal pretty quickly (given that whatever interest United had in Sanchez seems have faded). But if Vidal ends up staying, I reckon Sanchez will follow him to Juve. And I don't think it'll be resolved any time soon.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    After going through all the latest Twitter/Paper/Other crap news sources.. It seems like Liverpool are out of the running for Sanchez.

A lot of Chilina News sources are reporting its between us and Juventus, which is weird because I heard they couldn't' afford Sanchez. Either Way most are saying our deal is more lucrative than Juve's (I'm guessing we're offer more cash upfront) but I think the option of playing with Vidal and moving back to Italy will be a big lure for Sanchez.

Edit: Also Debuchy is 100% gone! Newcastle just gave his number away to some other player.

Vidal could be gone from Juve himself soon though

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If it starts looking like the Sanchez deal is going to turn into a 2 month saga then I think they'd be better off pulling the plug asap and going after Griezmann or Di Maria. Hopefully that won't happen though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

In that case the only sensible solution is to sign Vidal too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

If it starts looking like the Sanchez deal is going to turn into a 2 month saga then I think they'd be better off pulling the plug asap and going after Griezmann or Di Maria. Hopefully that won't happen though.

Gott agree. Be nice for any newbies to have some of a preseason. I don't think Wenger would like it to drawn out either after missing targets last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Yeah, Sanchez did great at Udinese so it's all really whether he views moving back there as a step backwards or a return to glory. Anybody's guess really.

I really don't see both of them moving to Utd either.

I mean they don't have CL plus they've spent 60 million already on two players. It'd be the guts of another 100 for Vidal and Sanchez. That's serious serious spend especially given last season they spent 70 on Fellaini and Mata.

Plus they need defenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

The feeling of Deja VU here is immense Arsenal closing in on a marquee signing and its down to us and an Italian team, a move to Italy considered a backwards step compared to us....yeah this Higuain all over again heres to a different end result

Ornstein has spoken! Pretty much confirming what has already been reported
    David Ornstein ‏@bbcsport_david 17m
    Arsenal in talks to sign Sanchez & Debouchy. AS complicated by #FCB Suarez move but #AFC confident. MD advanced but no fee agreed #LFC #NUFC
    David Ornstein ‏@bbcsport_david 18m
    Arsenal still in market for other targets, primarily holding midfielder & back-up goalkeeper, but Sanchez & Debouchy current priorities #AFC

I don't know much about Vidal. What position would he usually play?

I don't know much about Vidal. What position would he usually play?

Box to box midfielder. Not gonna happen though.

No chance of getting Vidal.
    Juve would want crazy money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Hopefully this should put an end to the Ozil not being good enough tosh...

Brxy41FCIAEd8h1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭seklly

Interesting article comparing Vidal with Schneiderlin: http://www.squawka.com/news/arturo-vidal-vs-morgan-schneiderlin-who-do-arsenal-need-more/135172

I'd love to see Sanchez and Vidal link up at Arsenal next season but can't see it happening with the price Juve will be looking for, I think Schneiderlin would be a good alternative though in that central holding position.

Priority has to be Sanchez though, will offer us another dimension in attack.

How much do ye rrckon Juve want?

How much do ye rrckon Juve want?

Minimum €60M i'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

greendom wrote: »
    Hopefully this should put an end to the Ozil not being good enough tosh...

Brxy41FCIAEd8h1.jpg

He is good enough. He could start adding a few more goals to his play tho. Look at Rodriguez getting 6

Minimum €60M i'd say.

Jaysis...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Schneiderlin fits what we actually need and he would be half the transfer fee and half the wages. Although Vidal is obviously the better player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

The Juve fans seem to think they have no chance for Sanchez so lets hope they're right.

The Juve fans seem to think they have no chance for Sanchez so lets hope they're right.

Personally I don't believe Juve can even afford Sanchez and its all paper talk.

That said.. I'd more worried that if they can afford him, the lure of Vidla and Italy would be to big to pass up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Personally I don't believe Juve can even afford Sanchez and its all paper talk.

That said.. I'd more worried that if they can afford him, the lure of Vidla and Italy would be to big to pass up.

Vidal is 27 now so will be moving soon I think.

Sanchez can buy a house next door to Cesc :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,416 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It sounds like Juve can only afford Sanchez if they sell Vidal and that would negate the reason for him joining them. Of course its possible that we don't know whats really going on, but Im feeling good about this not certain but still think it will probably happen. Think the next 2 weeks are going to be the time for us as it seems most of our targets are moving on regardless of if its us or not so I don't think they will drag on up to the end of the window.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Thank god we didn't go for Fellaini last summer. Some people seriously overrated him, such a technically limited player.

Some updates!

GeoffArsenal -
    Sanchez, Hearing personal terms agreed in principal before the WC, Transfer fee yet to be agreed with Barca but Arsenal are quietly confidnt

JWTelegraph -
    On Sanchez and Debuchy, situation fairly unchanged. Finals fees to be agreed but every indication that both players keen to join #afc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

We could easily afford Vidal, but there's no way we'd buy him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Some updates!

GeoffArsenal -

JWTelegraph -

Nice :) now that inspires some more confidence hopefully now we can agree fees. Can see Bar a really trying to push the fee up to help finance the Suarez deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Some updates!

GeoffArsenal -

JWTelegraph -

Nice - BBC reporting it is always a good sign.

Look, I really don't want to give Barca a penny more than necessary but surely Wenger realises at this stage that he cannot afford another Higuain transfer.

We need a very specific type of player and Snachez is the absolute best we could possibly hope for this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

shano_88 wrote: »
    The **** Ozil gets on this forum is ridiculous.

My main issue is that we've heard nothing about Aguero/Hazard/Hulk etc. all big money players who have had horrid world cups, Hazard in particular. Ozil just gets bizarre levels of criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭fulmer1984

Id still prefer Aurier to Debuchy. Anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Be nice to see a World Class player coming in the opposite direction after we've lost many to them down through the years

Petit, Overmars, Hleb, Henry, Song, Fabregas to name a few well maybe not Song but you get the message

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

fulmer1984 wrote: »
    Id still prefer Aurier to Debuchy. Anyone else?

Yeah, if we wanted experience we should have kept Sagna. I know everyone says he wanted to leave but if we gave him the pay day he was looking for he would definitely have stayed. As it stands we're spending money on someone who, at his peak and on a good day, is equal to Sagna. Aurier at least has the potential to exceed them and give us a longer service period.

Yeah, if we wanted experience we should have kept Sagna. I know everyone says he wanted to leave but if we gave him the pay day he was looking for he would definitelty have stayed. As it stands we're spending money on someone who, at his peak and on a good day, is equal to Sagna. Aurier at least has the potential to exceed them and give us a longer service period.

If we were paying Sagna 160k a week in 3 years time, I'd go mental.

Happy with Debuchy. Cheaper than Sagna and comparable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

What about the 12m up front to get him in the first place? It would have worked out cheaper in the long run as well as the short term.

What about the 12m up front to get him in the first place? It would have worked out cheaper in the long run as well as the short term.

Getting Debuchy is the right move.
    If we'd have kept Sagna we'd have been keeping a player who's on his last legs and he'd be getting 130K a week!!! Thats only 10K less than Ozil!

I'd rather get Debuchy who's hitting his peak and is (imo) better than Sagna.

It also gives Jenks and Bellerin time to get better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

I'm glad we got Debuchy. Already used to the PL. Keeping sanga out of the French team too.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I reckon we'll get Debuchy for 8 or 9 million which is fine. Good enough player that will allow us to focus on the higher priority stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I'd be happy with Debuchy. Similar enough level to Sagna but a little younger. He'll be first choice while Jenkinson and Bellerin grow a little more and take over in a few years time. It's what we should be doing rather than throwing the youngsters in before they are ready to be first choice.

After Sanchez, we should try for Vidal. Might not happen, but is worth a shot. He'd be worth the expense as those couple of signings will push us from potential contenders to definite contenders.

Should also be able to find a cheap/free/loan back up CB and GK to round it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Chilean journalist and TV presenter Felipe Bianchi has said sanchez is leaving barca for us.

The hopes rise by one notch

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Chilean journalist and TV presenter Felipe Bianchi has said sanchez is leaving barca for us.

The hopes rise by one notch

I really want to get my hopes up, but this feels so simliar to the Higuain transfer.

1st. BPL player has amazing season - Bale/Suarez

2nd. Spanish Club decide to buy that player - Real/Barca

3rd. Spanish team can't afford transfer so they sell there players - Hig/Sanchez

4th. 3 teams inquire about the player - Arsenal,Chelsea,Napoli - Arsenal,Liverpool,Juventus

5th. One English team backs out Chelsea/Liverpool

6th. Player looks set to sign for Arsenal...

And we'll you know the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Omeceron

I really want to get my hopes up, but this feels so simliar to the Higuain transfer.

1st. BPL player has amazing season - Bale/Suarez

2nd. Spanish Club decide to buy that player - Real/Barca

3rd. Spanish team can't afford transfer so they sell there players - Hig/Sanchez

4th. 3 teams inquire about the player - Arsenal,Chelsea,Napoli - Arsenal,Liverpool,Juventus

5th. One English team backs out Chelsea/Liverpool

6th. Player looks set to sign for Arsenal...

And we'll you know the rest.

7th Arsenal take their 2nd best player. Iniesta is on the way?

Omeceron wrote: »
    7th Arsenal take their 2nd best player. Iniesta is on the way?

Pfft.. Iniesta? Sure Sanchez was Barca's 2nd best player! Only Messi will do :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,423 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Lads this Campbell lad is going to be some player. Great brain and is a work-horse. he could have filled in for Walcott last season.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement