Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Was at my cousins a while ago , (hes not in the whole twitter thing) so I told him that it was all over twitter that the sanchez deal was done for 32 million pounds and that he was on the way you should of seen his face he almost jumped and punched the air , Then i finished with for Arsenal and his face almost dropped it was hilarious (he supports liverpool) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Campbell has Champions League and now World Cup experience, but he isnt ready to be second choice? :confused:

Yep that's my opinion, he isn't ready for 2nd choice striker at Arsenal FC, bags of potential a work horse but for now a 3rd choice not someone we can throw on and rely on for a title push if Giroud was injured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Was at my cousins a while ago , (hes not in the whole twitter thing) so I told him that it was all over twitter that the sanchez deal was done for 32 million pounds and that he was on the way you should of seen his face he almost jumped and punched the air , Then i finished with for Arsenal and his face almost dropped it was hilarious (he supports liverpool) :D

You cruel man :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Soups123 wrote: »
    Yep that's my opinion, he isn't ready for 2nd choice striker at Arsenal FC, bags of potential a work horse but for now a 3rd choice not someone we can throw on and rely on for a title push if Giroud was injured

So you'd rather go out and waste money on an average player instead of giving a player loaded with potential a chance to shine? Remy, who is constantly mentioned now, isnt the player you are describing. Campbell could be if he gets a chance and takes it. If Remy was anywhere close to that, other teams would be looking at him but nobody is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

So you'd rather go out and waste money on an average player instead of giving a player loaded with potential a chance to shine? Remy, who is constantly mentioned now, isnt the player you are describing. Campbell could be if he gets a chance and takes it. If Remy was anywhere close to that, other teams would be looking at him but nobody is.

See that logic doesn't work.. Sure Sanchez is one of the best wingers out there but there's only 3 teams after him.

Either way Remy could be picked up relatively cheap and will fill a position that's needed. There's really no downside to buying him.

Nope that's not what I said, I said in my opinion I'd be happy with a player of Remys ilk and I wouldn't see it as a waste of money. Dropping Campbell right in there now with very little experience plus he isn't a striker striker I think he will be used as a wide front 3. Another player to allow us rest Giroud for the not so hard games would be good sense.

I also didn't describe a player I just said I would be happy with a player of that caliber if Sanchez was signed doesn't have to be Remy

By the way how come Markovic to Liverpool is all over Sky Sports website and there zero zip nado on Sanchez or Debuchy to Arsenal you'd think they'd have some whiff of it at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I don't think Remy would be a waste at all. Hes ahead of Sanogo and Campbell and we need players who can perform this season. The development of those guys is exciting but we can't have another season where the best backup to Giroud is Sanogo..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

Looper007 wrote: »
    we can turn Sanchez into a world class striker. remember Henry wasn't a striker when he came to us. Look how he turned out, I take remy as backup but I think Walcott will be the third striker when he gets back.

How quick is Sanchez?

Henry/ Theo quick or more like Freddie, good over a few yards.

He's be being billed as a bit of a speed merchant?

Wise to spend 40mill on a 26 year old who's game is based on pace?

This is the reason we won't be getting Remy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    How quick is Sanchez?

fastest-players.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    How quick is Sanchez?

Henry/ Theo quick or more like Freddie, good over a few yards.

He's be being billed as a bit of a speed merchant?

Wise to spend 40mill on a 26 year old who's game is based on pace?

This is the reason we won't be getting Remy

He's quick but technically sound as well.

Good buy - still think we should try for a better striker than Remy, he'll still be there in August if we can't find one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I can't take another week of this, want to know tomorrow if we're getting him or not! Bloody sick of the Ozil criticism at this stage too. Hazard didn't register a shot on target and neither did Costa but why aren't the knives out for the likes of them? Cause they don't play for Arsenal that's why.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Apparently lars bender is the next target.

Oh my.

Bender Ramsey
    Walcott ozil sanchez

Oh my.

I'm getting the excitement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

fastest-players.jpg

Fatty at 7th immediately calls that into question :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

fastest-players.jpg

Rooney faster than robben? methinks someone somewhere made a boo boo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

fastest-players.jpg

Surprised at Rooney being so high on that list. He must be deceptively quick :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Back in for Lars Bender it seems. I really would be happy with either him, Khedira or Schneiderlin. Probably a slight personal preference for Bender though haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

We'res the Bender stuff coming from?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Who's tweeting this now? Crikey.

• Advertisement

I see John cross is going with it.
    I'd be delighted with bender, dunno how many shirts he'd sell though

fastest-players.jpg

I'd love to know what those "calculations" involve. 36 km/hr would be a 10-second 100m speed if maintained so I'd be awfully surprised if there are no players who can top that for a time at least. The fact that the 10th fastest in the world can only peak at a speed that corresponds to an 11.96-second 100m time makes the whole thing seem like, for want of a better term, bull****.

I've never heard of this Frack Ribery lad either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I wouldn't pass too much heat of what John Cross says.

I can feel it in my waters that there's a snag on the way in the Sanchez deal and this place will go into meltdown. Fingers crossed we can get things sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭egghead.

I wouldn't pass too much heat of what John Cross says.

I can feel it in my waters that there's a snag on the way in the Sanchez deal and this place will go into meltdown. Fingers crossed we can get things sorted.

Mail reporting barca is waiting to see if juve match our offer.

Wonder if he prefers a move to them.

egghead. wrote: »
    Mail reporting barca is waiting to see if juve match our offer.

Wonder if he prefers a move to them.

Quick Arsene tell him the Vidal plan before its too late !!

John Cross and Jeremy Wilson both reporting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Raf32 wrote: »
    John Cross and Jeremy Wilson both reporting it.

Jeremy Wilson is a bit more promising. Bender would be a very good signing. Though I think he said recently he wanted to stay put for another year

If these all come off I think people will stop questioning wenger's reluctance to spend too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

fastest-players.jpg

This is the players' top speed recorded running with the ball, not their overall stop speed.

If these all come off I think people will stop questioning wenger's reluctance to spend too

Agreed, tbh if we go big this summer we wont need to again for a while. Just add a piece or two every summer window and Ill be happy.

Bender and sanchez in one window would be amazing. Would make us a formidable side.

• Advertisement

And what a ****in squad we could have too we could almost afford a major injury or two (god forbid) but you know what I mean

I think we still need a reserve keeper and another CB option but other than that we'd be loaded well for the season ahead

And diaby. Like a totally new signing he is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

This is the players' top speed recorded running with the ball, not their overall stop speed.

No way Valencia had the ball under control.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

wawaman wrote: »
    Lads don't want to tempt fate here but I bought alexis and dubuchy in FIFA, within weeks they were both injured, if that's not a sign both aren't signing for us nothing is!!!

How did u afford them? u start with like 30mill in FIFA even tho were ****ing rich :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Turtwig wrote: »
    No way Valencia had the ball under control.:pac:

I'm guessing hitting a ball 20 meters ahead of yourself into a corner while running after it counts here... :)

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Bender and sanchez in one window would be amazing. Would make us a formidable side.

And financially achievable, exactly what we need why can we not just do it. How fcukin amazing would it be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭egghead.

Soups123 wrote: »
    And financially achievable, exactly what we need why can we not just do it. How fcukin amazing would it be

Are we getting a bit too excited over bender?

He admitted he hasn't had a season and wants to stay.

I'd love to know what those "calculations" involve. 36 km/hr would be a 10-second 100m speed if maintained so I'd be awfully surprised if there are no players who can top that for a time at least. The fact that the 10th fastest in the world can only peak at a speed that corresponds to an 11.96-second 100m time makes the whole thing seem like, for want of a better term, bull****.

I'm no expert in physics but I think it's a basic equation, something like: distance / time = speed.

The would use the lines on a pitch to calculate the distance the player covers during a dribble (I presume in a straight line) and then calculate how long it to him to run it.
    I've never heard of this Frack Ribery lad either.

Looking at my keyboard, it's a terrible typo. There's two keys between C and B, so I don't know how he or she pulled that one off.

Yeah, I believe they calculate their dribbles only.

I'm no expert in physics but I think it's a basic equation, something like: distance / time = speed.

The would use the lines on a pitch to calculate the distance the player covers during a dribble (I presume in a straight line) and then calculate how long it to him to run it.
    That is generally how it works. However if they actually are the fastest 10 players in the world then it suggests that soccer players are in much poorer physical condition than in other sports where the participants have much better measurables.
    Looking at my keyboard, it's a terrible typo. There's two keys between C and B, so I don't know how he or she pulled that one off.
    Not sure if your attempt at being dry backfired or if this is a layered bit of humour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

There not in poor condition, give usain bolt a ball and tell him to do a 100m sprint with in under control avoiding players, see how he gets on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Anyone of Bender, Scheinerlein and Khedira and I would be delighted.

That is generally how it works. However if they actually are the fastest 10 players in the world then it suggests that soccer players are in much poorer physical condition than in other sports where the participants have much better measurables.

Dribbling and sprinting are two different things. It's tough to keep the ball under control when you're at full sprint.
    Not sure if your attempt at being dry backfired or if this is a layered bit of humour.

No, I was just baffled that someone managed to make that typo considering that the keys aren't beside each other. I got it from the Joe.ie site: http://www.joe.ie/football/football-news/youll-never-guess-who-the-fastest-footballer-in-the-world-is/

No mention on there about the physics involved in this, but I'm also just after noticing Rooney is in there so I'm doubting the creditability of this article.

The main thing I'm getting at is what constitutes a "dribble" and what distance is measured means that these stats are useless. That there's such a difference between the 1st and 10th fastest in the entire world calls in into question massively for a start. If it's the speed between 2 touches when sprinting into space then there are thousands of players who would be topping 30km/h in most of their matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

"Alexis chooses arsenal". So this is apparently the front page of sport tomorrow, which is known as the mouthpiece of Barca.

1wHPxXi.jpg

Dare we believe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Jaafa wrote: »

Dare we believe?

No. We're not signing Sanchez. We're not signing Sanchez. We're not signing Sanchez.

big-ern-celebrating.gif?w=650

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Jaafa wrote: »
    "Alexis chooses arsenal". So this is apparently the front page of sport tomorrow, which is known as the mouthpiece of Barca.

Dare we believe?

I-dont-believe-you.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Surprised at Rooney being so high on that list. He must be deceptively quick :O

Only when chasing "Grannies"......:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

All the Italian papers keep linking Juve with Morata and Iturbe, not Sanchez. There's no way they can afford both of them and also get Sanchez. I hate to jinx things but Sanchez to Arsenal seems very feasible right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Barcelona press conference this morning. May find out more then....?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement