Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Not worried about the midfielder we bring in
    All 3 were linked too are quailty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭egghead.

Transfer windows have to be the worst for arsenal fans, patience is very much needed.

Just do it now please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

egghead. wrote: »
    Transfer windows have to be the worst for arsenal fans, patience is very much needed.

I get the feeling this one is going to be fantastic :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

maximoose wrote: »
    I get the feeling this one is going to be fantastic :)

And the way our finances are going this should be the norm for a few years to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Well Debuchy looks like a done deal being that he's said it himself, not too excited about this guy but hopefully he'll impress.

Sanchez to me looks about 70% likely, apparently he's interested in us and Juve, however Juve can't afford him unless they sell Pogba first but that will take some time, and knowing Wenger we might not have signed him by then, United can try all they want but i think Sanchez will be looking for CL football.

Bender, Scheiderlin and Khedira.... as been said by other's i wouldn't mind any of them, as long as we actually get one!

No real word of a CB or Goalkeeper however sky sports are saying that Casillas is interested in a move to Arsenal!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Well Debuchy looks like a done deal being that he's said it himself, not too excited about this guy but hopefully he'll impress.

Sanchez to me looks about 70% likely, apparently he's interested in us and Juve, however Juve can't afford him unless they sell Pogba first but that will take some time, and knowing Wenger we might not have signed him by then, United can try all they want but i think Sanchez will be looking for CL football.

Bender, Scheiderlin and Khedira.... as been said by other's i wouldn't mind any of them, as long as we actually get one!

No real word of a CB or Goalkeeper however sky sports are saying that Casillas is interested in a move to Arsenal!?

To sit on the bench?? Can't see that happening in a million years.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Akenny010

Really liking the Idea of Sánchez and Bender coming in, Debuchy looks to be done, Anyone agree that we still need an out and out striker aswell as these 3? or do you think Sánchez cna be converted into one? I'm starting to wonder is Sánchez going to be a replacement for Cazorla if he's on the way out.

It say's he wants to come here because he's sick of sitting on the bench at Madrid! In fairness i'd start him over Sczcesny any day.

It say's he wants to come here because he's sick of sitting on the bench at Madrid! In fairness i'd start him over Sczcesny any day.

Not me. I think Chesney was outstanding last year and is only getting better. The exact opposite of Casillas.

Never really liked Sczcesny he's a good shot stopper but that's it really, too many mistakes just reminds me of Lehmann, i prefer someone a bit more stable. Casillas had a bad world cup that's all, Sczcesny wasn't even in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

I'm currently very hopeful over Sanchez, in reality though if we don't hear concrete advances by Wednesday or Thursday ill be preparing myself for the worst. I can't see Khedira coming in personally, the stuff about him leaving because of Kross is a bit far fetched, theyre quite different players. The Bender stories might be resurfacing as Southampton could be looking for too much for Schneiderling, from the sounds of things we are still a good bit away from a CM.

Never really liked Sczcesny he's a good shot stopper but that's it really, too many mistakes just reminds me of Lehmann, i prefer someone a bit more stable. Casillas had a bad world cup that's all, Sczcesny wasn't even in it.

Hardly his fault Poland didn't qualify.

Casillas was appalling in the WC and i genuinely believe that Chesney has eliminated a lot of the brain farts. He's still extremely young in goalkeeper terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Shame Fabianski didn't want to hand around (not that I blame him) Manonne too came of age last year. Think today's Casillas is worse than all 3 of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Akenny010 wrote: »
    Really liking the Idea of Sánchez and Bender coming in, Debuchy looks to be done, Anyone agree that we still need an out and out striker aswell as these 3? or do you think Sánchez cna be converted into one? I'm starting to wonder is Sánchez going to be a replacement for Cazorla if he's on the way out.

I don't think there is a suitable out and out striker.

But Sanchez and Walcott playing there will be drastically different from Cazorla and Ozil playing there.

Giroud will be asked to do a lot less of the goalscoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Ramsey wasn't at the world cup either, maybe we should replace him with Wilson Palacios

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

You are having a laugh!!! Sczcesny is getting better every year and isn't even at his prime yet, Casillas is only a shadow of the keeper he was in the past and all indications are that he is going to continue in that downward spiral.

I'd suggest having a cold shower if you have any more ideas like that again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

gandalf wrote: »
    You are having a laugh!!! Sczcesny is getting better every year and isn't even at his prime yet, Casillas is only a shadow of the keeper he was in the past and all indications are that he is going to continue in that downward spiral.

I'd suggest having a cold shower if you have any more ideas like that again :)

Big massive NOOOOOOO to Casillas

Look forward to having Walcott back & with Sánchez as well we will have unreal speed, One thing we really lacked last season. i think Remy would have been a good signing too, we need speed in that CF role. I think the 2 up top it helps Giroud a lot, I hope Wenger tries it again this season. it would great if we could get the right DM to finally complete our midfield

Ramsey wasn't at the world cup either, maybe we should replace him with Wilson Palacios

Lol yeah defo, my point was Sczcesny has never had the experience of a world cup, and could only dream of having halve the career Casillas has had, i'm not sure anyone other than Arsenal fans could try and say he is a better keeper than Casillas.

Lol yeah defo, my point was Sczcesny has never had the experience of a world cup, and could only dream of having halve the career Casillas has had, i'm not sure anyone other than Arsenal fans could try and say he is a better keeper than Casillas.

I have no issue in stating that currently based on form Sczcesny is a far superior keeper to Casillas.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

**** no to Casillas. He didn't have a bad World Cup, he had an appalling World Cup. He was partially or largely responsible for almost every goal they conceded. ****ed up for Madrid in the CL final too. He's awful in the air, his decision making seems to have gone and I'm not sure his reflexes are what they used to be either.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Casillas has had a great career no doubt but so had Mikael Silvestre.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I'd say he WAS a better keeper, and has definitely had a more illustrious career, but right now, and for the foreseeable future, it looks like Casillas has regressed hugely.

Quite simply, he is not the keeper he once was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Casillas in his day was the best in the world no question.
    That day is gone though,he has made lots of error's in the last 12 months for club and country and doesn't look like regaining his best form. I'm amazed he started at the wc.
    Chesney for me all day long, bias aside

Ok i don't wanna argue with fellow gooners about our current players it's very unethical of me :) I don't think he's too far off ATM but i can see Casillas getting back to his usual self, everyone has bad runs of form it took what 10+ years for him to have one. Sczcesny is OK imo but i'd prefer someone with a bit more quality especially if were getting the players were linked with, would be a shame not to win the title because Sczcesny tries to run the pitch in a vital game :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,416 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Chezney should remain our number 1 keeper as long as he learns to cut out the silly errors. He offers more for the future.

I'd be more concerned about what Casillas is likely to do during a game than what Ches would do

TBF, Casillas is 33. Szczesny is 24.

Casillas had a great career, winning lots of stuff. How do we know where Szczesny will be and what he'll have won in 9 years time?

I think at this moment in time Szczesny is a better keeper. two years ago, I would have Casillas, but players age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Chezney should remain our number 1 keeper as long as he learns to cut out the silly errors. He offers more for the future.

I honestly can't really think of any major errors he made last season. His kicking has improved too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I honestly can't really think of any major errors he made last season. His kicking has improved too.

He did get lucky a few times with poor kicks rebounding off attacking players but got away with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,416 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

He made a few and I remarked on them at the time but I can't now remember in which games they occurred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Being linked with Sanchez, Bender etc is great and all, but surely we need to get a move on regarding a Centre Back, especially if Vermaelen is shipping it.

He made a few mistakes this season with his kicking, mainly against Liverpool at home & Newcastle away, he should remain our #1, he's improving a lot & as long as he cuts out these silly mistakes (he's almost there) he will be fine! The right man for the job IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

I love Szczesny, one of my favourite goalkeepers, big, commanding, young confident and gets down quickly for a big lad.

I note a few errors though.

Rushing off his line outside his box against Aston Villa (first game of season) Szczesny had to dart back into his goal after a rush forward to just about make a diving save as Ashley Westwood's drove from a fair distance out and it looked to be going in

Not catching an easy high ball from a lofted through ball against Tottenham at White Hart Lane, almost gave Tottenham an open net , luckily was blocked off the line from last ditch defending.

Trying to chip an oncoming Higuain cheekely just before half-time, luckily his lob attempt hit Higuain on the forehead and bounced wide vs Napoli (away leg)

He's slowly eradicating his errors, but I remember these errors and most fans would have if they resulted in goals. We beat Tottenham but if that goal had have went in, we would have as fans blamed Szczesny, we lost to Napoli but the reason for the loss would have been down to Szczesny if that had have went wrong against Napoli.

Errors are still there but only noticed when it leads to a goal. I do think they are fading though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Chez is well on his way to being one of the top goalkeepers. Add to that the fact he vlearly loves the club, has massive respect for Wenger, is very popular in the dressing room and an absolute legend when it comes to mocking spurs.

I see him being our number 1 for a long time if he keeps his head and works on improving even more

• Advertisement

Chez is well on his way to being one of the top goalkeepers. Add to that the fact he vlearly loves the club, has massive respect for Wenger, is very popular in the dressing room and an absolute legend when it comes to mocking spurs.

I see him being our number 1 for a long time if he keeps his head and works on improving even more

Nothing beats this last season, sensational

article-2558460-1B6F965E00000578-532_634x535.jpg

I thought last year Chesney let in a fair proportion of goals that weren't un-saveable shots. Especially noticeable in a few of the hammerings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

If the most people can find fault with Szcez is a few minor errors over the coarse of a season were he played 40+ games he had a fantastic season. Imagine if we scrutinized outfield players to the same level.

Never mind will be a great keeper he already us one of the best in league and is only going to get better. Last season himself and Cech equally kept the most clean sheets.

Questioning his position is madness.

Saw this on twitter a little while ago.
    From the Barca presser re:Alexis: "Negotiations are taking place behind closed doors. We don't want to talk about these things openly."

If the most people can find fault with Szcez is a few minor errors over the coarse of a season were he played 40+ games he had a fantastic season. Imagine if we scrutinized outfield players to the same level.

Never mind will be a great keeper he already us one of the best in league and is only going to get better. Last season himself and Cech equally kept the most clean sheets.

Questioning his position is madness.

Definitely not questioning his ability, he's going to be the next best Goalkeeper in the world mark my words, he's just got to eradicate this rubbish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO7p0FlWcMU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Akenny010 wrote: »
    Saw this on twitter a little while ago.

We don't like to talk about these things openly.... unless its someone elses players we're buying.

Just on that; how refreshingly awesome is it that as far as I can see we've no vultures hovering over the likes of Ramsey/Koscielny/Walcott et al this summer :)

I think Sanchez is a must buy now. Probably one of the few marque signings available this Summer and provides that threat of huge pace that we lacked last year - probably the single biggest reason why we had teams coming out of the blocks hell for leather against us. With pace in the side we should be able to punish that type of strategy.

I also think that Sanchez will be the end of the signings in the attacking department. AW has faith in Sanogo and with Giroud, Walcott etc he probably feels that we are covered.

Once Sanchez gets done we'll see movement for DM.

Just like to add that I think AW has a very convincing story to tell potential signings - ambition (they see the likes of Ozil going there), CL football, great manager, young team, London, great stadium & now competitive salary.

LFC are seeing that CL football alone doesn't guarantee that players will sign, the problems clubs have getting players to join them don't get nullified just because you have CL football now and again.

I suspect that any signings will not be confirmed now until Thursday. Imagine those Puma PR heads going into overdrive with the prospect of the launch with a couple of brand spanking new players to give extra publicity!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,416 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

IF we sign Sanchez DM debuchy and a GK which I reckon is the most AW will sign unless Verm goes how will that leave us squad size wise? especially if Campbell come in to stay which I suspect might happen. I think thats where we will start the season and he might go after another CB in january as long term cover for Verm.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

salmocab wrote: »
    IF we sign Sanchez DM debuchy and a GK which I reckon is the most AW will sign unless Verm goes how will that leave us squad size wise? especially if Campbell come in to stay which I suspect might happen. I think thats where we will start the season and he might go after another CB in january as long term cover for Verm.

Definitely better than last year hough I still think we need another CB even with Verm around and ideally a more experienced out and out striker to compete with Giroud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

No daily Sanchez update today, since nothing new has emerged.
    But with the unveiling of our new kit happening soon I thought it'd be nice to look back at our old Nike kits.

gN1n7TL.gif

Pretty cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

GK
    Ches
    Backup keeper

RB
    Debuchy
    Jenks

CB
    Koscielny
    Mertesacker
    Vermaelen

LB
    Gibbs
    Monreal

DM
    New guy
    Flamini
    Diaby :pac:

CM
    Ramsey
    Wilshere
    Arteta

AML
    Sanchez (who we're not signing)
    Cazorla
    Podolski

AMC
    Ozil
    Rosicky

AMR
    Walcott
    Ox
    Gnabry

ST
    Giroud
    Campbell
    Sanogo

Not bad in fairness. Could really do with another CB though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,416 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

GK
    Ches
    Backup keeper

RB
    Debuchy
    Jenks

CB
    Koscielny
    Mertesacker
    Vermaelen

LB
    Gibbs
    Monreal

DM
    New guy
    Flamini
    Diaby :pac:

CM
    Ramsey
    Wilshere
    Arteta

AML
    Sanchez (who we're not signing)
    Cazorla
    Podolski

AMC
    Ozil
    Rosicky

AMR
    Walcott
    Ox
    Gnabry

ST
    Giroud
    Campbell
    Sanogo

Not bad in fairness. Could really do with another CB though.

Cheers but I meant regards registration for the league who counts as homegrown under 21 etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

25-man squad:

Overseas over 21: Mertesacker, Vermaelen, Koscielny, Diaby, Rosicky, Arteta, Podolski, Giroud, Cazorla, Monreal, Flamini, Sanogo, Campbell, Sanchez, Debuchy, New GK, New DM (17 which is maximum)

Domestic over 21: Scz, Gibbs, Wilshere, Walcott, Ramsey, Jenkinson, Martinez, Djourou (8)

That would mean leaving out Miyaichi, Miquel and Coquelin of those currently listed as contracted to Arsenal on arsenal.com. Obviously if Djourou's transfer to Hamburg is finalised, Miquel (or another domestic over-21 centre-half could step in.

As well as the above, we have the following Under-21s who could play some role next season:

Chamberlain, Gnabry, Zelalem, Hayden, Eisfeld, Akpom, Ajayi and Bellerin.

To conclude, we can sign Sanchez, Debuchy, Khedira and Casillas (can't I dream of those four?) without affecting our 25 apart from some minor departures (coquelin, Miyaichi and Miquel/Djourou). If Vermaelen goes, we can sign a centre-half to replace him. If we want more than that, we will have to sell/loan someone from the first team (Arteta/Campbell to be sold, Jenkinson/Sanogo/Campbell to be loaned).

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement