Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

bad2dabone wrote: »
    I've all but given up on Scarlett Johansson

Ben Smith ‏@BenSmithBBC 15m
    Scarlett Johansson say's she give Bad2dabone a chance, for a Mcdonalds Happy Meal.

The price on Juventus has come in quite a bit the last hour.

Been keeping an eye on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

8 Pages since I was last online. Darn I thought we got our man :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

rarnes1 wrote: »

I'm no expert, but isn't odds on transfers largely based on the number of bets coming in for a particular outcome? So a load of people might have just jumped on the bandwagon after seeing a rumour about Juve and decent odds of 8/1, and therefore driven them down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Falls right in line with David Ornstein saying Juve are keen.

Bookies are never a good indication fools and there money are easily parted.

Whatever about him ending up at us I can't see Juve being a rival the simply can't afford him unless they sell Vidal or Pogba which makes them a less attractive option.

Nor can I see them being able to match the wages we can offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

It won't come down to penny pinching. Barca want €40 million and it appears we are happy to pay that. If Juventus match that then it's up to Sanchez and not much more the Club can do about that.

The big question now is can Juve pay that. If not he is ours. If they can he may still be ours.

The longer it goes on it would appear negative as it would seem Sanchez is waiting for Juve to make that offer.

I'm no expert, but isn't odds on transfers largely based on the number of bets coming in for a particular outcome? So a load of people might have just jumped on the bandwagon after seeing a rumour about Juve and decent odds of 8/1

Yes and No.

In this case it's just a bookie ie, you can't lay it which would mean it could mean sweet fa.

Interesting watching these markets. Twitter rumours certainly drive a lot of them

It won't come down to penny pinching. Barca want €40 million and it appears we are happy to pay that. If Juventus match that then it's up to Sanchez and not much more the Club can do about that.

The big question now is can Juve pay that. If not he is ours. If they can he may still be ours.

The longer it goes on it would appear negative as it would seem Sanchez is waiting for Juve to make that offer.

Or that Barca are stalling it or trying to keep it under wraps until they have Suarez confirmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Yes and No.

In this case it's just a bookie ie, you can't lay it which would mean it could mean sweet fa.

Interesting watching these markets. Twitter rumours certainly drive a lot of them

Which website do you use ?

greendom wrote: »
    Which website do you use ?

For odds?

Oddschecker, football specials.

• Advertisement

Di Marizo seems to think that Juve aren't serious about Sanchez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Di Marizo seems to think that Juve aren't serious about Sanchez.

They're after Morata and Iturbe. I don't think they're gonna go too far for him.

Speaking of which... time to get a bit excited. From Liverpool Echo in last few mins:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-fc-admit-defeat-pursuit-7386726

"However, Anfield officials have been unable to convince Sanchez to make the move to Merseyside and they are resigned to the 25-year-old joining Premier League rivals Arsenal instead.

Both clubs were willing to match Barcelona’s valuation of around £30million so it came down to the player’s preference.

Sanchez asked for time to consider his options over the weekend and his representatives have now informed Liverpool that he is likely to join the Gunners. They cited the desire of Sanchez's family to live in the capital as key to his decision."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Its happened......
    Br9wQ4RIMAIKOiq.jpg

Ok I'm now about as excited as you can get about this, short of it appearing on BBC or Arsenal.com !!

We're not going to mess this up are we ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Ok I'm now about as excited as you can get about this, short of it appearing on BBC or Arsenal.com !!

We're not going to mess this up are we ?[/QUOTE

magic eight ball says probably

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Is the Liverpool Echo worth paying attention to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

HazDanz wrote: »

No papers really are mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

HazDanz wrote: »

Depends on the journalists of each paper, not the papers themselves. For example, John Cross of the Mirror and Jeremy Wilson of the Telegraph clearly have the same contact at Arsenal feeding them information. The two of them get the same scoops, which no one else has and invariably their stories are a lot more detailed than the rest.

Similarly Tony Barrett of The Times is very reliable for Liverpool news and Mark Ogden of the Telegraph is the same for United. Liverpool Echo have been a step ahead of most nationals on Suarez/Sanchez story and I'd imagine it's because they have a very highly-placed Liverpool contact - I'm not sure if all their summer stories about Suarez have came from the same journalist. I wouldn't bat an eye about that story if it was in The Star or The Sun but since it's in the Echo, I'm starting to get a bit excited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Ornstein's the best for Arsenal news IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

AdamD wrote: »

Agreed.

Would/could they really be unveiled in 3 days time?!

This is like the stuff from my childhood :D

Darren @DarrenArsenal1 · 5m
    Arsenal have tonight completed the signing of Mathieu Debuchy.
    Reliable Poster. Very good signing.

Raf32 wrote: »
    Reliable Poster. Very good signing.

Looked very strong throuhout the World Cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Was just about to post that Raf, would believe him above anyone else on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Nice. pleased with that.

• Advertisement

Was just about to post that Raf, would believe him above anyone else on Twitter.

Agreed, rarely posts transfer stuff only when its certain. Him over Geoff and Dean for me with the information.

AdamD wrote: »

He is and he isn't in that it's widely known he gets his news directly from Arsenal meaning he reports and only knows what the club want him to report.

For me as has been said it's Darren arsenal, Dean and Geoff are the best for transfer news. These lads always a few steps ahead of Ornstein

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

7rTQOjK.jpg

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Well Debuchy is a done deal and probably going to be announced in the next couple of days by the sounds of things.

Hopefully Sanchez is wrapped up in the next week or so. Will be very disappointing at this stage if this transfer doesnt happen.

Debuchy, Sanchez, Bender, GK.

It would be a great summer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

shano_88 wrote: »
    Well Debuchy is a done deal and probably going to be announced in the next couple of days by the sounds of things.

Hopefully Sanchez is wrapped up in the next week or so. Will be very disappointing at this stage if this transfer doesnt happen.

Debuchy, Sanchez, Bender, GK.

It would be a great summer!

We need a substitute striker.

• Advertisement

Giroud, Walcott, Podolski, Sanogo and Campbell?

Campbell

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Shoutout to the people who got angry Wenger was playing football on the beach instead of making signings.

Hopefully Joel Campbell and Sanogo can fill that role
    Shoutout to the people who got angry Wenger was playing football on the beach instead of making signings.

If your talking about me, could you point out where i got angry?

I was merely making a point that last summer was starting to resemble this summer.

And strangely so far they have been close to identical, this obviously changes if we do close the Sanchez deal.

Giroud, Walcott, Podolski, Sanogo and Campbell?

Giroud and Sanogo are forwards, not strikers. Surely you know the difference between a striker and a forward, right?

If Sanchez gets injured, Walcott and Podolski will not fill his boots (assuming we're converting Sanchez to a striker) because they couldn't last season.

Campbell is our only option and I just don't see enough goals in Giroud and any of the names you mentioned. Have you forgotten about our terrible goal-scoring record last season? It was worse than Chelsea's.

Sanogo plays a similar role to Giroud, he's a forward and he hasn't even scored yet.

Interesting... Apparently AW lost interest in Aurier when it became apparent that Sagna was not going to stay. Wanted Aurier to be the back up and eventual succesor. And when that couldn't happen he went for more experience.

http://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2014/west-ham-united-and-monaco-join-serge-aurier-race/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Giroud and Sanogo are forwards, not strikers. Surely you know the difference between a striker and a forward, right?

If Sanchez gets injured, Walcott and Podolski will not fill his boots (assuming we're converting Sanchez to a striker) because they couldn't last season.

Campbell is our only option and I just don't see enough goals in Giroud and any of the names you mentioned. Have you forgotten about our terrible goal-scoring record last season? It was worse than Chelsea's.
    What? I guess by striker you mean goal scorer. Giroud is most certainly a striker

Sanogo plays a similar role to Giroud, he's a forward and he hasn't even scored yet.

Im confused. You said we need a substitute striker. I said Joel Campbell and Sanago can hopefully fill that role. Are you saying Sanogo and Giroud are not strikers!?

If your talking about me, could you point out where i got angry?

I was merely making a point that last summer was starting to resemble this summer.

And strangely so far they have been close to identical, this obviously changes if we do close the Sanchez deal.

No no not Pointing a finger at you was just cracking a joke in general

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Pricks got me excited about signing tonight :P

No no not Pointing a finger at you was just cracking a joke in general

Aye, though that was all. Think i saw someone else mention it on the thread recently aswell.

Dont mind me anyway, been a looooooooooong day!

Di Marzio saying PSG willing to offer 60 million euros for Di Maria. I know he had a poor world cup but this would open the door to Cavani for us with FFP.

Aye, though that was all. Think i saw someone else mention it on the thread recently aswell.

Dont mind me anyway, been a looooooooooong day!

No worries

If ya can't get narky on the Internet, where can ya get narky :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Sanchez would be at his best playing off Giroud in a 4-4-2. I think if Arsenal play him on the wing they won't get the best out of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_association_football_terms#S

Striker: one of the four main positions in football. Strikers are the players closest to the opposition goal, with the principal role of scoring goals. Also known as forward or attacker

Forward: see Striker.

Maybe you could explain the difference to those of us of lesser intelligence.

There are no direct replacements in any of our forward positions because each forward (Walcott, Giroud, Campbell, Podolski, Sanogo, Ozil, Cazorla, Gnabry, etc.) all bring different things so the formation adjusts slightly to cater for whichever trio play up top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

Raf32 wrote: »
    Di Marzio saying PSG willing to offer 60 million euros for Di Maria. I know he had a poor world cup but this would open the door to Cavani for us with FFP.

Cavani is on his way down, he struggled big time this season.He's just a work horse lately

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    Cavani is on his way down, he struggled big time this season.He's just a work horse lately

Ya true he lacks pace too. Would love MUller or someone upfront with a killer instinct though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »

He has also never settled in France and is believed to want a return to Italy, if the Italian press are to be believed. So that may be part of his apparent 'decline'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Decline ???? I don't know about everyone else but i only thought he was good when he had Hamsik and Lavezzi laying everything on a plate for him at Napoli

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement