Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

On nights this week tomorrow morning will be like all the others waking up seeing a load of pages and hoping it means Debuchy and Sanchez confirmed done and dusted.

Have to say though it's great being linked to proper world class players again and not bargain basement players.

Every player we chase these days is of high calibre long may it continue to future is bright :)

Hopefully this is a brilliant summer to be a Gooner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

I sure as hell wouldnt mind cavani hes strong decently quick and a finisher and poacher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Giroud and Sanogo are forwards, not strikers. Surely you know the difference between a striker and a forward, right?

If Sanchez gets injured, Walcott and Podolski will not fill his boots (assuming we're converting Sanchez to a striker) because they couldn't last season.

Campbell is our only option and I just don't see enough goals in Giroud and any of the names you mentioned. Have you forgotten about our terrible goal-scoring record last season? It was worse than Chelsea's.

I'm also unaware of the exact difference. Can you explain.

We need to get Sanchez first and see what he does before panicking about replacing him if he's injured.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/07/newcastle-mathieu-debuchy-arsenal-transfer-deal

Don't really believe the rest after the transfer. Seems very speculative.

Still we could do worse than loaning Campbell to somewhere like Newcastle. I know there's no love lost for them here but he'd get games and it'd be nice having someone scoring against all the other teams like other clubs so often seem to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

we need to give him a small contract extension first otherwise we'll lose him for nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Definitely shouldn't be sending Campbell anywhere, he is good enough for the squad imho. I'm sure we can give him enough games next season providing we don't go out of the cups early.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

He can't have long left on his contract?

It would be a shame for him to believe that his future lies elsewhere before we've had a chance to see if he can do a job for us.

Decline ???? I don't know about everyone else but i only thought he was good when he had Hamsik and Lavezzi laying everything on a plate for him at Napoli

He's being totally played out of position at PSG though. You just can't be the big centre forward when Zlatan is present.

It's a problem because Zlatan is contracted till 2016 by which time he'll be declining (32 now). The problem is he'll get away with the decline in the French league but he will arrest the development of PSG because everything is about him while he's there. They'll basically canter to another two league titles with Zlatan (which they probably would anyway) but go nowhere in the champions league. Then in two years they'll have to reinvent things anyway by which time Cavani has probably moved on for a loss.

If PSG had sense, they'd phase him out this year and play Cavani up front more. The problem is you simply do not phase Zlatan out and it wouldn't go at all well. Plus they're paying him a million a month ... AFTER TAX. So with French tax that's probably 24 million a year in wages.

I think he's one of those iconic larger than life players who it's impossible to phase out. Sadly as we've seen with Giggs, Hierro, Maldini etc, keeping them for too long is more often than not the done thing but doesn't help the team at all. In the case of the latter two it arguably hindered the team because they had a liability in defence who was also the first name on the sheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Cavani was pretty much a nobody to me until he moved to Napoli and had 1 or 2 unreal seasons and like everyone else i was like wow, this guy's good, but like gosplan said, since moving to PSG he is being played on the wing, a position which doesnt suit him at all, and i remember reading a while back how he was told they would play 4-4-2 to accommodate himself and ibra, however that didnt happen and he was extremely pissed.

Still tho, 16 goals in 30 games on the wing when your an out an out striker isn't a BAD season by any means, just certainly under performing and understandably so, however these type of stints can ruin players, e.g. Arshavin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Arshavin had the talent to play anywhere. He was just a lazy ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

I feel like I've been thrown into some alternate universe.
    We are out muscling other clubs by offering higher wages.

It's only taken 10 years or so. So good to be on the other end of things for once.

apparently RAC1 (popular catalan radio station) have good news for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

dvemail wrote: »

It's only taken 10 years or so. So good to be on the other end of things for once.

Yeah if we can kick on now and use our financial clout to be challenging for things in the foreseeable it will have been worth the last decade, having the club run well as a business is brilliant if it can produce results and would be far more satisfying than the way Chelsea and City have gone about things, although Im not saying I wouldn't take or have taken some billionaires money if he was keen on parting with it. Even last season I thought it was good that Liverpool were contesting without an infinite budget. That might not be the most popular opinion around here but it is better than the current model of clubs been run as play things by the rich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

bad2dabone wrote: »
    apparently RAC1 (popular catalan radio station) have good news for us.

Catalan radio station? Sounds good !

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Probably the London in Canada for a holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Particularly satisfying if Sanchez is turning down Liverpool to play for us.

Cue twitter filled with anonymous shots of Sanchez at a non-descript airport, claiming it was taken at Heathrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

greendom wrote: »
    Cue twitter filled with anonymous shots of Sanchez at a non-descript airport, claiming it was taken at Heathrow

BsBJ3jfIIAAjatq.jpg

It's started already!

According to the Daily Fail, Tottenham have pipped us to the post

• Advertisement

According to the Daily Fail, Tottenham have pipped us to the post

ah no! not Spurs! i'm devastated!

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

[img][/img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Br9K0YsCMAI1IBO.jpg:large

Seen this on twitter also...:confused:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

byrneg28 wrote: »

Well it's not on Arsenal.com so it's safe to say that's a fake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Arsenal hope to complete Alexis Sanchez signing and fend off competition from Juventus
    Liverpool have dropped out of the running to sign Alexis Sanchez, and with Arsenal willing to pay £32m transfer fee and £100k a week salary Juventus will be priced out

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/10953560/Arsenal-hope-to-complete-Alexis-Sanchez-signing-and-fend-off-competition-from-Juventus.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

byrneg28 wrote: »

NUMBER 18???!!!!!!! :eek: Madness if they do give him that. That shirt has the curse of Grimandi. Nothing to do with the players who have worn it since being sh*te or anything. :pac:

100k a week?
    Must be getting a nice hefty signing on bonus to keep his wages that low.

Sorry what? In what universe is a £100,000 a week low??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

The footballing one?

• Advertisement

The EPL universe - or the Champions League universe - there was talk that he was going to be on 140k

The EPL universe - or the Champions League universe - there was talk that he was going to be on 140k

No it's not, average wage in EPL is £30,000....don't know the others but they'd be similar, €140,000 maybe but not £

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

I think he meant low compared to other footballers. Some of the lads at united, chelsea and city are earning up to £250,000 a week

thorbarry wrote: »
    I think he meant low compared to other footballers. Some of the lads at united, chelsea and city are earning up to £250,000 a week

Compared to the big earners yeah 100k is "low" but even then Sanchez hasn't exactly set the world alight and it's a huge increase on what he was on at Barca.

No it's not, average wage in EPL is £30,000....don't know the others but they'd be similar, €140,000 maybe but not £

For a 25 year old World Cup striker who plays for Barca - good luck with getting one for 30k !

Compared to the big earners yeah 100k is "low" but even then Sanchez hasn't exactly set the world alight and it's a huge increase on what he was on at Barca.

He's done well at Barca, had a good World Cup, and is arriving with a transfer fee thought to be around 32- 40m.

Lots of players arrived in similar situations and got higher weekly wages.

• Advertisement

For a 25 year old World Cup striker who plays for Barca - good luck with getting one for 30k !

I never said sign him on 30k? he's not average hence the 100k wage
    He's done well at Barca, had a good World Cup, and is arriving with a transfer fee thought to be around 32- 40m.

Lots of players arrived in similar situations and got higher weekly wages.

And some get lower? i don't even know what the argument or point is anymore? £100,000 a week is fine for a good pro footballer.

I never said sign him on 30k? he's not average hence the 100k wage

And some get lower? i don't even know what the argument or point is anymore? £100,000 a week is fine for a good pro footballer.

So you wouldn't stump up extra even if it meant losing out on the player

i don't even know what the argument or point is anymore? £100,000 a week is fine for a good pro footballer.

Agreed, there is ot need to have an argument just because we are in the internet

You started it tho :pac:

So you wouldn't stump up extra even if it meant losing out on the player

Of course i would?
    Agreed, there is ot need to have an argument just because we are in the internet

You started it tho :pac:

haha i did not! i simply said 100k isn't a low wage! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Thing that worries me about that wage is what if Sanchez does have an amazing season whats to stop city saying oh wait there ur wages? Come here well treble it

• Advertisement

Thing that worries me about that wage is what if Sanchez does have an amazing season whats to stop city saying oh wait there ur wages? Come here well treble it

No problem, that'll be £100million please.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

they'd probably pay it ;) Crazy ba$tards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

City cannot afford to do that anymore. Fairplay will keep them in line.

Besides why make a potentially very positive signing for the club sound like a mercenary. No need.

No problem, that'll be £100million please.

If he signs a multi year contract, we dont have to sell him.

Look at how Liverpool handled the Suarez transfer last summer. We need to be more like that. I would have rather kept Nasri, Fab, and RVP and let them go on a free, considering how much we got for them

I just want something concrete!!! the fcking anticipation and rumours are eating me alive!! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

HazDanz wrote: »
    City cannot afford to do that anymore. Fairplay will keep them in line.

Besides why make a potentially very positive signing for the club sound like a mercenary. No need.

I said nothing about the player I only mentioned city, but the majority of footballers are mercenaries anyway and could you blame them with the money they earn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Arteta looks like he put in some serious work this summer. Pity he wasnt a few years younger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Ah jasus lads can we stop speculating on how a player we haven't even signed yet might get his head turned next year because of a wage were reported to be offering :pac: :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

I said nothing about the player I only mentioned city, but the majority of footballers are mercenaries anyway and could you blame them with the money they earn

Your post was negative for the sake of being negative.

Suggesting he will be sold after a year to city is basically finding the worst case scenario with Sanchez being signed rather than being happy with a potentially superb signing.

Besides we haven't signed him yet so no need for us to debate on the topic of him being sold on to city just yet!

Raf32 wrote: »
    Arteta looks like he put in some serious work this summer. Pity he wasnt a few years younger

How do you mean? Bulked up?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement