Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

HazDanz wrote: »
    Are people happy with Giroud being our main striker again this season coming? I'm not tbh.

I like Giroud a lot but if we are going for the league I think we need a better target man.

Me too, but with decent cover and the right players around him it could be good enough.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Are people happy with Giroud being our main striker again this season coming? I'm not tbh.

I like Giroud a lot but if we are going for the league I think we need a better target man.

I'm ok with it, I think we need experienced back up though at least. I think he will continue to improve and should build on his goal tally from last season. He'll flourish with Sanchez and Theo playing off of him I'm sure.

There's rumours we're still after Remy so I think Wenger sees Ollie as our main man up top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

no definitely not happy with it. Hopefully can do a job until Christmas and then start Theo up there. we need movement up top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Giroud is very good frontman and under rated. We suffered last season because we didn't have speedy players feeding off his service. I am more than happy with him leading the line next season.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Yeah speed was our issue last season. Our slow build-ups made it easy to defend against Giroud when he was the only real threat. We need less of the passy-passy and more direct attacking at pace. Giroud was made for that I feel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Raf32 wrote: »
    no definitely not happy with it. Hopefully can do a job until Christmas and then start Theo up there. we need movement up top.

Have you seen Theo up front? Sure he is fast and his finishing has improved immensely but given the amount of abuse Giroud takes from defenders, I don't think Walcott could handle it.
    Hyzepher wrote: »
    Yeah speed was our issue last season. Our slow build-ups made it easy to defend against Giroud when he was the only real threat. We need less of the passy-passy and more direct attacking at pace. Giroud was made for that I feel

For me, one of our reasons we were so slow last year was because Arteta constantly seemed to slow the ball down. Even when Rosciky came on you could see a massive improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

If we have quick, goalscoring forwards like Sanchez and Walcott in the lineup than Giroud is less of an issue for me. We do probably still need someone rotate with him too though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Me too, but with decent cover and the right players around him it could be good enough.
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    I'm ok with it, I think we need experienced back up though at least. I think he will continue to improve and should build on his goal tally from last season. He'll flourish with Sanchez and Theo playing off of him I'm sure.

There's rumours we're still after Remy so I think Wenger sees Ollie as our main man up top.

With better supporting players around him he should improve ye are right.

Remy as cover/sharing responsibility up top would be good for him too.

Giroud had a very solid season but also had a few terrible misses this year in big games - which puts a bit of doubt in my mind if he can deliver for those matches.

farna_boy wrote: »
    Have you seen Theo up front? Sure he is fast and his finishing has improved immensely but given the amount of abuse Giroud takes from defenders, I don't think Walcott could handle it.

For me, one of our reasons we were so slow last year was because Arteta constantly seemed to slow the ball down. Even when Rosciky came on you could see a massive improvement.

Our best performance of 2014 was the only game we started with Theo upfront. He dragged defenders all over the place with him and seems to be doing some serious strength work. Especially in games where movement up top is important, i think theo could start over Giroud.

• Advertisement

gandalf wrote: »
    Giroud is very good frontman and under rated. We suffered last season because we didn't have speedy players feeding off his service. I am more than happy with him leading the line next season.

I don't think he's underrated as much as under appreciated for the job he put in last year, hardly no rest and always seemed to give it his best, defo a decent frontman but i wouldn't too upset if bought a replacement.
    With better supporting players around him he should improve ye are right.

Remy as cover/sharing responsibility up top would be good for him too.

Giroud had a very solid season but also had a few terrible misses this year in big games - which puts a bit of doubt in my mind if he can deliver for those matches.

It's the big games where we seem to need someone a bit more clinical and stable alright. Hopefully he get's a chance to rectify his mistakes this year tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

If we have quick, goalscoring forwards like Sanchez and Walcott in the lineup than Giroud is less of an issue for me. We do probably still need someone rotate with him too though.

I agree with this, if we don’t think of Giroud as the focal point of attacks, more the link, or the lynch pin for the speedy Walcott and Sanchez to work off then I’m ok with that. Giroud is a physical specimen and in terms of physical hold up play he is accomplished. It’s his erratic finishing and low speed that make him a 2nd tier striker.
    The other issue is that 1st tier strikers are rare and very very expensive. Take Cavani for instance, he’s gonna cost 50m, huge wages, and he’s been no better than ok recently.
    I’d be happy with a reasonable 10-12m bid for someone like Benteke or Bony who offer a similar skillset to Giroud but with superior finishing. I think the way Wenger sees it though is he’ll give Sanogo a chance to develop as a target man and probably revisit the striker market next summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

I agree.

I personally think Wenger is trusting him, he improved on last season and is probably still adjusting to the Premier League a bit.

Albeit it's been two seasons it sometimes takes time and this is where world class players are made, when Lewandowski joined Dortmund he scored 8 goals in the league. In that same season a Lucas Barrios scored 19 goals in the season, was the top scorer for Dortmund and 3rd in the Bundesliga.

He was also only 24 also, he was linked with a number of clubs, even Arsenal. Loads of hype, where is he now? 29 years of age now and he left Dortmund and went to China and now plays for Spartak Moscow scoring 1 goal in 15. The point is here is Klopp trusted Lewandowski and Lewandowski returned, sometimes diving into the market for a one season wonder like Diego Costa doesn't work (fingers crossed). Look at Chelsea they buy strikers all the time 'world class' and they just create too much competition and discontent with one another . While the likes of Ba and Torres rot on a bench.

Strikers are made and moulded. It's not a trial and error game you dont buy one for 30 mil and then if that doesnt work get another one for 35 mil etc.

There are only a handful of strikers that can play in any team and even then there is some type of formation to try and get the best out of them. For everyone else the formation/type of game the club uses will greatly influence how strikers get on. Some clubs suit players better and they score lots, get a big money move to another club and look ordinary.

AW understands the nature of this more than most and we've seen player transformations in the past at the club. When he decides to pay money for a player you get bet that he has overall plan in mind.

Arsenal will complete the signing of Alexis Sanchez from Barcelona today according to talksport.

Sanchez to the left of me, Theo to the right, here I am stuck in the middle Giroud. :D:D:D

• Advertisement

Sanchez and Debuchy seem done. Rumours about Remy and Schneiderlin now. Add the two of them and a GK.

Sanchez and Debuchy seem done. Rumours about Remy and Schneiderlin now. Add the two of them and a GK.

And Thiago Silva/Vincent Kompany :o that's not too much to ask for right? :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Do you know what is also great about the potential signing of Sanchez? It should take some of the spotlight off of Ozil and he can be left to work away quietly.

And Thiago Silva/Vincent Kompany :o that's not too much to ask for right? :cool:

Why not both :pac:

I'm glad to hear that spending may not be over even after Sanchez and Debuchy - the need for a defensive MF player is still crucial and one with quick feet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I want Sami Khedira next please!!!

Oh sorry am I making a complete "Garth Brooks" of myself!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Do you know what is also great about the potential signing of Sanchez? It should take some of the spotlight off of Ozil and he can be left to work away quietly.

along with providing a player that will play to Ozil's strengths!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Agree with this Giroud will be a different player with speedy wingers either side of him and Remy will make be a good addition to the squad the main focus should be on a top class DM rather than another striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Sanchez and Bender and I'll let the striker slide.

What kit are yee gonna get this year if ya do? I'm liking the home one.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

I honestly like all 3 kits and there's a couple of zip-up tops I'll be acquiring too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Liking the away kit. I've always been partial to a nice traditional yellow away shirt. This one doesn't disappoint even with the red in it. Home looks classy too but that 3rd looks a bit dodge if I'm honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

http://imgur.com/ncirgG4

Images of the catalogue leaked online! I'll personally be buying the away goalkeeper, love the Puma watermark effect that's going on with it and loved the Puma GK jerseys at the world cup!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

So I guess the whole Arsenal wanting to wait till the 10th July Puma kit launch to announce players might not be BS afterall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Quite like the look of the third kit, want to see some more pics of it.

• Advertisement

Away kit for me,
    Home for the kids. Gonna be ‘spensive.

Loving the jackets too, I’ll be getting the blue on fo’ sho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I'll be having that navy T7 jacket, lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Take with a massive...

1580792921_f8abfbc901.jpg

...however I've heard from a friend in one of the UK papers that apparently Arsenal's 'official photograper' has a session booked in with Sanchez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Have to say lads I feel disgusted over that Daily Mail headline about Ozil. I dont condone violence in the slightest but I would love to give that clown a good clatter who wrote that. Scumbag!

gandalf wrote: »
    I want Sami Khedira next please!!!

Oh sorry am I making a complete "Garth Brooks" of myself!!

Not quite.

If you wanted Sami Khedira or none at all you'd be making a complete "Garth Brooks" of yourself :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

On Giroud lads. Look at most of his goals, they mainly came from Walcott making runs and cutting it back for him to slot home, I think with Sanchez coming in on the other wing we will see Giroud to better effect next season, I have no issue with him being out main striker just once we get Alexi, not only will he score plenty of goals but Girouds link up play is superb and he will contribute plenty of assists too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Gringo180 wrote: »
    On Giroud lads. Look at most of his goals, they mainly came from Walcott making runs and cutting it back for him to slot home, I think with Sanchez coming in on the other wing we will see Giroud to better effect next season, I have no issue with him being out main striker just once we get Alexi, not only will he score plenty of goals but Girouds link up play is superb and he will contribute plenty of assists too.

This i completely agree with.

With Sanchez and hopefully a fit Theo, there's plenty of goals in that front three.

Lads,

Alexis "f**king" Sanchez.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Lads,

Alexis "f**king" Sanchez.

And Mesut Ozil feeding him through balls

If any of us said that this time last year we would have been locked up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20 quikcunny

I do like all them, but that 3rd kit just stands out, I love it, fan of the collar aswell, gives me the option to try and look cool , or a complete tool. :D no but the gk jersey is even nice :) . that away kit is old school tho. Thank god there's no more recycled nike cack.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

Sell Arteta/Flamini and get in Bender.

Or just get in Bender/Khedira and let the two of them stay for another season.

Arteta's legs are gone and in his position you need physicality which he just dosen't have. He dosen't have the energy either of a Khedira. Is Arteta a Ball playing DM like Pirlo where he could make up for his pace? - no. Is he a physical beast like Wanyama? - no. Is he a player capable of forward bursting runs? - no.

Schneiderlin reminds me too much of Arteta for me to want him come here. I ain't anti-arteta, I'm just being rational and not letting my love for the man cloud my judgement.

I am however as some here would know - anti-Gibbs. And.... anti-Giroud. Even Sukor had more pace and was better upfront and that man was like 34 when we signed him.

On the GK front, I can't see us buying anyone. Martinez will probably be promoted to the first team.

A few big characters on twitter are hinting Vermealen is leaving. I wouldn't let him leave for anything less than 15 million euro's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Dapics wrote: »

Arteta's legs are gone and in his position you need physicality which he just dosen't have. He dosen't have the energy either of a Khedira. Is Arteta a Ball playing DM like Pirlo where he could make up for his pace? - no. Is he a physical beast like Wanyama? - no. Is he a player capable of forward bursting runs? - no.

Schneiderlin reminds me too much of Arteta for me to want him come here. I ain't anti-arteta, I'm just being rational and not letting my love for the man cloud my judgement.

I am however as some here would know - anti-Gibbs. And.... anti-Giroud. Even Sukor had more pace and was better upfront and that man was like 34 when we signed him.

On the GK front, I can't see us buying anyone. Martinez will probably be promoted to the first team.

A few big characters on twitter are hinting Vermealen is leaving. I wouldn't let him leave for anything less than 15 million euro's.

Davor Suker did a job for us but I'd much rather Giroud at 28/29 than Suker at 34. 11 goals in 39 games was hardly stellar from

Dapics wrote: »

No love for Arteta on here :( i don't think you can argue his quality,commitment and ability going forward, but he's been questioned defensively, i personally think he's been doing a great job

from the Pool thread:
    garra wrote: »
    Soldado/Ozil/Lamela are all good examples of jizz-generating flops.

FA Cup winning World Cup Finalist Ozil, 7 goals 12 assists in 1st season being placed in the same bracket as Soldado and Lamela as a flop.

you've got to laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Little bit off topic here..

I ordered the new France WC14 away jersey last week and got it in the post this morning. Unfortunately its doesn't fit so I'm going to sell it :(.

Here's some pics -
    0Ff1jCi.jpg
    lSE7YcB.jpg

Its brand new and since it has Giroud on the back I thought some of you's would be interested.

I'll be selling it for what I paid for it which is €20 + €4 P&P.
    Its size XL but its the player version which makes it a good bit tighter so imo you'd need to be a size Large.

Send me a PM if you's are interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

I don't get the anti-Giroud and anti-Ozil sentiments ESPECIALLY from Arsenal fans.

Giroud works his socks off and the amount of damage he takes from defenders is unreal manning the front line on his own. He never got a break last year and was never injured. There are very very few strikers in the world who are available whom I would have ahead of him. For a large amount of games he has no support.

As for Ozil, whilst not hitting the world class heights we hoped, he was better than people make out. The independent article is spot on. He works his socks off in a different way to your typical EPL player and is always taking wonderful positions.

Next season could be fantastic but lets hope all the fans get behind all the team rather than bickering at the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

That France jersey is class. Unfortunately those figure hugging shirts and me don't get on well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

That France jersey is class. Unfortunately those figure hugging shirts and me don't get on well.

Yeah, I learned that the hard way.. My self esteem isn't great after trying it on :D

It'd be a perfect fit for someone who's a size large... XL not so much :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

bad2dabone wrote: »
    from the Pool thread:

FA Cup winning World Cup Finalist Ozil, 7 goals 12 assists in 1st season being placed in the same bracket as Soldado and Lamela as a flop.

you've got to laugh.

When I read comments like that you just got to remember that its the lack of knowledge of the poster than the lack of ability of the player.

I can understand those who want him to be better but he has been so far from a flop its not even for discussion.

Cheeky bid for Sturridge?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement