Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

Oh I am so excited for the next season. Honestly been a long time since I was this happy with The Gunners in July!

Any idea why Debuchy hasn't been unveiled yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Oh I am so excited for the next season. Honestly been a long time since I was this happy with The Gunners in July!

Earlier in the week I understood that they wouldn't sell until they had a replacement in place. Wonder if they'd be happy with Jenkinson on loan? It would be a good move for him, certainly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Sorry man but some serious bias in there ;), you gave out stink about Suarez for diving. Pires whilst I loved him was a serial diver and always afraid to put the foot in if there was a 50/50 you were sure Pires wasn't going all in.

On morals of were taking the high ground over Suarez biting what about Adams who in my eyes is a legend but drank drove and crashed his car doing so putting his own life and plenty of other at risk should would you view him in the same way?

Suarez is a bit of gobshiite but had he of played for Arsenal I'm sure most would have enjoyed watching him regardless of biting.

Viera I'm at a loss as to why you would despise him.

Not really man, diving on it's own i hate, that's all Pires did, and i didn't like that about him, but he wasn't dishonest in other ways, i gave out stink about Ozil not challenging for 50/50's but i still like him, just apart of his game i don't like, you cannot compare Pires or any of these guys to Suarez, there is a reason ppl dive and ****, it;s apparently "part of the game" but biting someone has no reason, no benefit to the game etc.

Adams? did i say anything about him? i dunno, tbf what you do in your personal life and on the pitch are 2 completely different things, i don't care whether they drink or smoke or what, i never really liked adams anyway?

Viera? really? nearly! as bad as Suarez but at least he had a reason for loafing people. Suarez reason for biting? none.

Same man, can't wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

According to DarrenArsenal -
    Arsenal in advanced discussions with Real Madrid (For Khedira)

Hopefully agents BFG,Poldi and Mesut are doing there job :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 38 green and yellow

anyone read Merson's book? i read it and I used to love him, but it put me off him a bit, which is usuall the opposite of what an autobiography does.
    Usually you get to see a persons point of view better and end up empathising with them more, whereas Merse's book actually annoyed me quite a bit.
    it's awfully written too, but he comes across as a real tool I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Bqhtt1IIEAA_72z.jpg

German agents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Lostman1990

Just an update on bookies pricing of Khedira. Now 1/2 in some places. But 6/4 in one also. While people betting do move prices, this occurs because of the implied information in a bet. Information from other sources can also move prices. What is interesting with these examples is that it seems to be information from other sources that are driving the prices. Skybet were at 1/1 a few days back. 6/4 was still available. Now Skybet are 1/2 while the 6/4 is still available. The Skybet price simply couldn't have moved due to bets. Why would someone bet with them when a better price is available elsewhere...Anyway, this price is still shaky. 1/2 doesn't mean a lot. Only when it gets to 1/6, etc would it really highlight things. But it is moving in the right direction.
    My own view on this is that if we take the reports that Khedira won't sign a new contract, he will move. Bookies are suggesting the real competition at this stage is between Arsenal and Chelsea. Chelsea will hold an upper hand on us in regards to possible wages. But what is the relationship between Mourinho and Khedira like? Surely having Ozil and Mertesacker gives us an advantage. The Sanchez deal also highlights strong intent from us again.
    I might just be looking for reasons to believe this will happen though...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Just an update on bookies pricing of Khedira. Now 1/2 in some places. But 6/4 in one also. While people betting do move prices, this occurs because of the implied information in a bet. Information from other sources can also move prices. What is interesting with these examples is that it seems to be information from other sources that are driving the prices. Skybet were at 1/1 a few days back. 6/4 was still available. Now Skybet are 1/2 while the 6/4 is still available. The Skybet price simply couldn't have moved due to bets. Why would someone bet with them when a better price is available elsewhere...Anyway, this price is still shaky. 1/2 doesn't mean a lot. Only when it gets to 1/6, etc would it really highlight things. But it is moving in the right direction.
    My own view on this is that if we take the reports that Khedira won't sign a new contract, he will move. Bookies are suggesting the real competition at this stage is between Arsenal and Chelsea. Chelsea will hold an upper hand on us in regards to possible wages. But what is the relationship between Mourinho and Khedira like? Surely having Ozil and Mertesacker gives us an advantage. The Sanchez deal also highlights strong intent from us again.
    I might just be looking for reasons to believe this will happen though...:)

With due respect the bookies have no inside track. They get their reports from journalists just like we do.

If this rumour keeps doing the rounds and no-one bothers denying it, then you can start to feel hopeful and the bookies odds will tumble.

They really don't have a clue though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Lostman1990

gosplan wrote: »
    With due respect the bookies have no inside track. They get their reports from journalists just like we do.

If this rumour keeps doing the rounds and no-one bothers denying it, then you can start to feel hopeful and the bookies odds will tumble.

They really don't have a clue though.

When it comes to football transfer, you have a point alright. Lots of reports flying around from journalists. Market is not hugely liquid and bookies can tend to price according to reports which might have no real basis.
    I wouldn't say they are clueless though. It is the movements in the prices that I follow really. When prices start moving quickly, there is usually something real behind it.
    It happened with Suarez and Higuin last year. Prices started moving in fast and as soon as these transfer hit trouble, they moved out fairly quickly again.

I do probably read too much into them though....

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭king Henry 14

This has been a great window do far for us with the arrival of sanchez and debuchy only a matter of time. But if Wenger gets Khedira he will be sending out a serious message to both premiership and European rivals. The thought of all these superstars lining up for us next season is really like a dream. All the years of selling are over and we will be challenging seriously on all fronts if we get the players of this calibre on board. So exciting. COYG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

come on arsenal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Anyone else noticing an awful lot of bitterness from liverpool fans about Alexis Sanchez joining us instead of them. Ive been reading an awful lot of negative comments from them including from Phil Thompson who believes that he made a huge mistake signing for us instead of them! What aload of Garbage. They actually think because they had one decent season that are a bigger club than us lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Sergio wrote: »
    Anyone else noticing an awful lot of bitterness from liverpool fans about Alexis Sanchez joining us instead of them. Ive been reading an awful lot of negative comments from them including from Phil Thompson who believes that he made a huge mistake signing for us instead of them! What aload of Garbage. They actually think because they had one decent season that are a bigger club than us lol!

Makes it all the sweeter to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

They're just jealous of the stuff we're smoking at the emirates!

In fairness I really think they'll struggle to attract top players with Suarez gone, I really do. With Ozil and Sanchez etc players will want to join us. Who at Liverpool would honestly have the same pull? Then of course there's the wenger influence. Enough said.

I suspect privately many Liverpool fans would deep down really admire the way we go about our business (manager, stadium, financial self sustainability, continuous CL, players etc etc) over the last number of years but particularly right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Paj

Pool fans? Bitter? No, haven't noticed that at all.

Sorry man but some serious bias in there ;), you gave out stink about Suarez for diving. Pires whilst I loved him was a serial diver and always afraid to put the foot in if there was a 50/50 you were sure Pires wasn't going all in.

On morals of were taking the high ground over Suarez biting what about Adams who in my eyes is a legend but drank drove and crashed his car doing so putting his own life and plenty of other at risk should would you view him in the same way?

Suarez is a bit of gobshiite but had he of played for Arsenal I'm sure most would have enjoyed watching him regardless of biting.

Viera I'm at a loss as to why you would despise him.

Tony Adams drove whilst drunk and got caught and punished severely once and after that never done it again.

Compared to Suarez who bite twice which are on pitch incidents may i add unlike tony adams and got away easy.

no comparison.

Bt sports new promo add is all about the 5-1 at anfield.

Paj wrote: »
    Bt sports new promo add is all about the 5-1 at anfield.

Did suarez scored in that game?

Did suarez scored in that game?

Worryingly, No :)

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

Liverpool and Chelsea fans (not all obviously) seem mad keen to criticise our club.

One of these days I'll quit visiting football365...they seem to get off on any negative vibes about arsenal...**** them. **** them all.

Mailbox is always geared towards running us down.

http://www.football365.com/mailbox/9379301/Alexis-Sanchez-Really-Not-THAT-Good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

No, its beacuse we've won five European Cups and you've won none.

The bitterness is because you signed a really good player ahead of us. It's natural enough I expect. You should just be smug about it, I would be. Good signing.

Fescue wrote: »

The bitterness is because you signed a really good player ahead of us. It's natural enough I expect. You should just be smug about it, I would be. Good signing.

Yeah, but have you's ever won the Emirates cup?

theres no disputing that Liverpool have a glorious European history.

theres no disputing that Liverpool have a glorious European history.

That's the great thing about winning trophies. Not only do they give you enormous joy and happiness at the time. They stand there as achievements for all of history, to be thrown in the face of rival fans whenever possible!

Arsenal are a club that need to win the European Cup more than anything else. It's a club that deserves to in my opinion. Much more so than Chelsea or City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

That Liverpool won 5 European Cups is of little concern to most professional players now. In the here and now Arsenal are the bigger club and by far the bigger draw.

That Liverpool won 5 European Cups is of little concern to most professional players now. In the here and now Arsenal are the bigger club and by far the bigger draw.

It's very very close. Both sets of fans are biased, of course. Anfield is a big draw, I've been to both and while I appreciate the Emirates as a magnificent modern stadium that we needed for our future and im proud we managed to build it, anfield atmosphere is awesome. But London is a top global city. Liverpool have a great European and domestic past. But not so good recently, whereas we Have done nothing of note in Europe but modern players will think of the invincibles etc. And wengers world renowned, but rodgers is talented and has a bright future. It's very close indeed.there's not much in it.
    But the difference, and it's only recent, is we appear able to now hold onto and buy established world stars, Liverpool have just lost theirs. That might be the swing in our favor for the next couple of seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

It's very very close. Both sets of fans are biased, of course. Anfield is a big draw, I've been to both and while I appreciate the Emirates as a magnificent modern stadium that we needed for our future and im proud we managed to build it, anfield atmosphere is awesome. But London is a top global city. Liverpool have a great European and domestic past. But not so good recently, whereas we Have done nothing of note in Europe but modern players will think of the invincibles etc. And wengers world renowned, but rodgers is talented and has a bright future. It's very close indeed.there's not much in it.
    But the difference, and it's only recent, is we appear able to now hold onto and buy established world stars, Liverpool have just lost theirs. That might be the swing in our favor for the next couple of seasons.

That's a fairly objective analysis to be fair. I think any objective analysis comes down on Arsenals side in the here and now.

That's a fairly objective analysis to be fair. I think any objective analysis comes down on Arsenals side in the here and now.

This could well change if we don't push on now with a proper dm, a proper run in the CL and a sustained title challenge. Once we lose wenger to retirement we need to not do like united, obviously, but they have the money to ensure last season was a blip. We are not at their financial level, so we need to be smarter.
    Liverpool will grow under rodgers and thats fine by me. While at the moment there's animosity between us, I'm sure most fans, with notable exceptions, would rather it was chelsea and city out in the euopa wilderness. Won't happen of couse.

Sadly, though we'd like to believe that it's about tradition, values and all that, it's actually all about money.

Arsenal can pay a larger transfer fee, higher wages, and crucially will spend more money to surround a player with better teammates.

Liverpool are exactly where we were a few seasons ago where smart buys like Pod, Caz or Arteta will be the best they can do. Rodgers will still have them competing though. Losing Suarez and signing a few players from Southampton isn't what someone like Sanchez or Di Maria wants to see in a club. Obviously, it had to happen but there's a couple of seasons getting their squad established and their finances in order.

And while we like to think that Wenger was whispering sweet nothings in Sanchez's ear, the truth is probably that the message was 'Ozil - that's the type of player we sign at Arsenal'. Hopefully now the same message is going to Khedira, now with added Sanchez.

Really, I think if you expect a player to move from Madrid or Barca, you have to be able to satisfy them with the answer to 'what if they guy beside me isn't good enough?'

For years our answer, like Liverpool now, was 'ah well, we'll probably have a Coutinho or a Can emerging' whereas now it's 'we'll pay whatever to sign the best player we can find and stick him beside you'

Really I think very little else matters. Higuain, Suarez, Bender, Draxler, Ozil, Sanchez. They're the players we move for nowadays.

Landing Ozil was a huge moment and regardless of how the tabloids feel, it's hugely beneficial that it happened a year ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭handsfree2

Nottingham Forest won 2, are they a bigger club then arsenal?

Liverpool had 2 decades of success but the spread of our titles is over a century. Basically Liverpool had a moment in the sun but we live in Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

bit ironic that this just popped up in my facebook feed :)

How many Liverpool fans does it take to change a light bulb?? None, they all like banging on about how great the old one was...

an oldie but a goodie :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I'm nailing my colours to the mast now and saying the ox will be our player of the season next season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

That's the great thing about winning trophies. Not only do they give you enormous joy and happiness at the time. They stand there as achievements for all of history, to be thrown in the face of rival fans whenever possible!

And if Liverpool fans are lucky, they still own a functioning Betamax player to watch their last First Division trophy (as the Premier League was known as then) on.

Of course, it could be worse, someone told me there is a website out there that helps Spurs fans to repair cine film projectors for any remaining amateur footage of their last League win over 50 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Hypothetical situation -

We signed Suarez last season, what do you think would be happening now?

My guess he'd be looking for a move to barca and arsenal sell him for 60 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Would it be greedy to be super disappointed if we miss out on Khedira and he heads to Chelsea? I think Bender could be our guy; can't see Schneiderlin being sold.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

This could well change if we don't push on now with a proper dm, a proper run in the CL and a sustained title challenge. Once we lose wenger to retirement we need to not do like united, obviously, but they have the money to ensure last season was a blip. We are not at their financial level, so we need to be smarter.
    Liverpool will grow under rodgers and thats fine by me. While at the moment there's animosity between us, I'm sure most fans, with notable exceptions, would rather it was chelsea and city out in the euopa wilderness. Won't happen of couse.

Nice posts, and I can't fault much of what you or Gosplan have said. Though I'll disagree with the latter given the number of Gooners here and elsewhere wanting Liverpool to fail immensely during the run in last season to either City or Chelsea. There was one or two Arsenal fans here who posted they rather Spurs win the league or Spurs beat us (Liverpool) when we had to play them too.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Nice posts, and I can't fault much of what you or Gosplan have said. Though I'll disagree with the latter given the number of Gooners here and elsewhere wanting Liverpool to fail immensely during the run in last season to either City or Chelsea. There was one or two Arsenal fans here who posted they rather Spurs win the league or Spurs beat us (Liverpool) when we had to play them too.

Could you point the finger and show me these fans
    I don't want any other interaction with an arsenal fan that would have wanted that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I really wanted Liverpool to do it, actually. I've huge respect for Rodgers. The fact that big-spending City won in the end just felt a bit unearned, even though it obviously wasn't.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Wouldn't have wanted Spurs to win the league over Liverpool but I'm pretty sure I wanted them to beat Liverpool in the latter half of the season because Spurs were no longer a threat to us at that stage and we were still in with an outside (way outside) chance of catching Liverpool.

Once Arsenal were completely out of the running for the title I wanted Liverpool to win it over City or Chelsea and I said as much on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

I wanted Spurs to beat the Pool too. They were irrelevant to us at the time and wanted to see could we catch Liverpool. Also didnt want Liverpool to win the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Werent there lads in the Liverpool thread hoping Everton get fourth ahead of Arsenal?

I would have been rooting for Liverpool far more if it were not for a couple of their fans on here.

Some of them seem to go about the whole supporting your team in a total WUM manner.

I guess they are the largest fan base though.

I would have been rooting for Liverpool far more if it were not for a couple of their fans on here.

Some of them seem to go about the whole supporting your team in a total WUM manner.

Some of the fans that came in here last year were unbearable

Godge wrote: »
    And if Liverpool fans are lucky, they still own a functioning Betamax player to watch their last First Division trophy (as the Premier League was known as then) on.

Of course, it could be worse, someone told me there is a website out there that helps Spurs fans to repair cine film projectors for any remaining amateur footage of their last League win over 50 years ago.

In the 24 years since Liverpool last won the league, which is the one thing we desperately want, the club has gone through somewhat of a barren spell I grant you.

That said, in those 24 years, Liverpool have won 4 league cups, 3 FA Cups, one UEFA cup and one European Cup. Most clubs would be quite content with that.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Could you point the finger and show me these fans
    I don't want any other interaction with an arsenal fan that would have wanted that :)

Given my status with this place in recent months, I'll let him admit to it than say who it is, it's one hundred percent there though. I was taken a back at the time as that poster's football opinions I genuinely had time for previously, but since then with the continual sniping and provoking at Liverpool and their fans, well, true colours were shown let's put it that way.

Two wrongs don't make a right and all that I know, but the same could be said of few, perhaps half a dozen Arsenal fans here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Rocket_Man

Have seen us linked with the Columbian Keeper, David Ospina.
    Having watched him in the WC, he looks the business, and a free agent too by all accounts.
    No-brainer??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Two wrongs don't make a right and all that I know, but the same could be said of few, perhaps half a dozen Arsenal fans here too.

Bad eggs everywhere. Most Arsenal fans I know would have much more time for Pool than any of the other big clubs in the UK. Ye are great fun to wind up though, 1989 and all that ;)

Seen this on twitter

Seen this on twitter

BAAAAAHHHH!! He's useless that lad :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement