Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Nail firmly on the head, a midfield of Ramsey, Ozil the Ox and Wilshere in about two years time is going to scare the crap out of most teams imo.

Nice video here best first touches two from Bergkamp and one from Ozil :).

http://balls.ie/football/the-best-first-touches-in-football/

Have long been of the opinion that the Baggio one in that video is the best single touch of a football ever.

Coming from behind over the shoulder and he both kills it and takes it around the keeper with the same touch.

Amazing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Moral of the story: never join spurs :pac:

or don't let the hype get to you but your have a better one :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭Kerry Gooner

Looper007 wrote: »
    Pretty much, they'll overhype any youngster that shows promise, although Barkley I do like the look of him, strong pacey and has a good shot and pass on him. He be sold to a Chelsea or City who will ruin the promise, far too much money and not enough good people around him. He should stick with Everton and grow into a top class player. The Media is always overhyping, they did the same with Wilshire and Walcott, Walcott if he stays injury free will be a great player but Wilshire, I think will be a good player rather then world class.

Wilshire at first was very Dynamic, dribbling past opponents but now seldom does and often gets caught in possession. Hopefully this is down to the run of injuries that he has suffered and we are still to see the best of him in a red shirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Wilshire at first was very Dynamic, dribbling past opponents but now seldom does and often gets caught in possession. Hopefully this is down to the run of injuries that he has suffered and we are still to see the best of him in a red shirt.

That was his worst fault this year. It was chronic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,641 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

HazDanz wrote: »
    That was his worst fault this year. It was chronic.

That and the sulking and back-chat to the referee.
    When he does that the opposition fans really rib him.
    Hope he comes back his old self.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

I noticed to Scousers have put a match thread, so here's ours: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89998496#post89998496

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Giroud has appeared 46 times for the club this season, only 2 less than Mert.
    He has started 32 out of our 34 premier league matches and 9 out of 10 champions league matches

That's a lot of matches, and puts things into some perspective.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/apr/18/olivier-giroud-needs-rest-50-fights-arsenal-arsene-wenger

Giroud has appeared 46 times for the club this season, only 2 less than Mert.
    He has started 32 out of our 34 premier league matches and 9 out of 10 champions league matches

That's a lot of matches, and puts things into some perspective.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/apr/18/olivier-giroud-needs-rest-50-fights-arsenal-arsene-wenger

Yeah i think he is definately a guy who has been hammered unfairly and needs more support. Not the best finisher but a decent squad player by all means

dvemail wrote: »
    No doubting he's our best tackler but you lose out on his attacking threat by making him sit deep to protect the defence. Best position is that between the DM and the AM.

For once I wish Wenger goes and buys a proper ready-made DM instead of trying to adapt someone else for the position. Spend the fcuking money.
    But will he?

• Advertisement

I watch every game closely and sometimes make little notes of common mistakes i.e. players giving the ball away too often, poor attitude, slow decision making, not making runs, poor crossing and place-kicking etc.

I also make notes of players making great runs, great tackles, good passing, brainy positioning, good attitude on the field, leadership etc.

Having taken everything into account for the season my Player of the Season boiled down to either Koscielney or Mertesacker.
    Had Ramsey stayed injury-free he would have been a certainty but alas he didn't.

So let's have a vote between Arsenal posters to decide our Boards Player of the Season.

My vote goes to the ever present and dependable Per Mertesacker.

PS
    I know the season is not over yet but it's very quiet here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Has to be ozil, what a great bit of business he was:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Mert is nothing without Koscielney, and when Kos is not there, he has more brain farts than Linsey Lohan.

Sanga- always v dependable
    Ozil, just gave the team so much belief when he was on the field, he's not a workhorse, he's a magician
    Ramsey - Apart from his injury he would have won this at a canter
    Giroud, asked to do an impossible job, no wonder he got burnt out

But my POTY is: Rosický always worked so hard for the team and a few sublime goals to match, shame he can't play every game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Ramsey. He was player of the month every month for the first half of the season, how can he not deserve it? Especially if he brings it for the next few games.

Others deserving mention:
    Kos
    Mert
    Woj
    Ozil

In that order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Although Ramsey was injured for a alot of the season, he was still Arsenal's most influential player this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Ozil was very disappointing imo.

Should be mentioned on any of these lists.

• Advertisement

2ym9lk2.jpg2z9beid.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

djPSB wrote: »

How much of a coincidence has it been that the team has fallen apart since his injury?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

efb wrote: »
    Mert is nothing without Koscielney, and when Kos is not there, he has more brain farts than Linsey Lohan.

Sanga- always v dependable
    Ozil, just gave the team so much belief when he was on the field, he's not a workhorse, he's a magician
    Ramsey - Apart from his injury he would have won this at a canter
    Giroud, asked to do an impossible job, no wonder he got burnt out

But my POTY is: Rosický always worked so hard for the team and a few sublime goals to match, shame he can't play every game.

Same can be said for Kos without Mert he doesn't lookthe same player either the two of them compliment each other perfectly which is what makes there partnership work.

Well that's just wrong, Ozil was far from disappointing. Just look how much our form dipped when he went out of the team.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,434 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

greendom wrote: »
    How much of a coincidence has it been that the team has fallen apart since his injury?

Ah I think it's more to do with the teams we've played the last while than that. Don't think we'd have done much better with him in the squad.

Ramsey is my player of the season regardless of his injury. Mert & Kos tied for 2nd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Kos for me. Really emerged as one of the top three centre backs in world football this year for me. Does a job on every centre forward he has marked this year. Imo carries Mert and its Mert's lack of pace along with Artetas in the big games which results in us shipping loads in the big games. Kos the boss for me, without a doubt our best player. Ramsey a a close second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Ramsey for me

But I'm guessing ye would be more Suprised If I voted for someone else :)

Ramsey for me

But I'm guessing ye would be more Suprised If I voted for someone else :)

He missed too much of the season to be player of the year though. 47% in the graph above.

He missed too much of the season to be player of the year though. 47% in the graph above.

As someone else said though got player the month every month nearly till jan

Surely no player can match his player of the month awards?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭Soups123

Ramsey for me too, he was more effective in the games he played than others have all season

As someone else said though got player the month every month nearly till jan

Surely no player can match his player of the month awards?

He would have been a cert except he missed half the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I can't believe I'm the only one on Rosicky so far...

If Sp*rs lose today, tomorrow could be St Totteringhams day by my estimations :D

Come on Fulham!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

He would have been a cert except he missed half the season.

I think if he were to get it it would be a great indication of how our season panned out exciting first half 2nd half of the season got worse as it went on.

If he were to get it don't think there would be to many arguing but I see your point.

For me I'd say Merts with Ramsey 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭Soups123

Not even top 3 for me

Shout out for scez too, when some games were in the balance he pulled off some fantastic saves

Stuttering of late though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Rosicky wasn't that influential really IMO. Some nice moments, but I don't think he meaningfully affected our season as much as several others did.

This just shows how much he boosts the team:

29bccbr.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Id agree with you, if my vote counts :o
    I think hes been class every time I watched him play this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Sanogo for me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Flatters to deceive so often, his passing can be so inaccurate and his final product is so poor for somebody in such an advanced position. I like him as a player but nothing more than a squad player for me.

Woj or Kosc for player of the season

Bendtner for me. Came up with the goods anytime asked of him this season.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Sanogo for me...
    :D

maxresdefault.jpg

You got me... :D

09w8UUx.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

1: Rambo
    2- kos/mert
    3- flamster

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,434 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

29bccbr.jpg

I'd be curious to see the teams we played in each fixture rather than just the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

29bccbr.jpg

he did a fine job against liverpool at anfield..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

he did a fine job against liverpool at anfield..

Ya you are right he's ****.

Ozil is going to be exceptional for us. Full confidence in that.

Next season Wenger expects him to be player of the season.
    I think he will be right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Next season Wenger expects him to be player of the season.
    I think he will be right.

+1 I've no doubt he'll be exceptional.

Him and Ramsey will be out of this world next year.

• Advertisement

Great video of our road to Wembley.

Is bony an option in the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

I agree with that. However it is totally laughable to suggest Ozil even deserves a mention as a possible player of the year for us. Some of the reasoning has been ridiculous: 'he gave us a great boost just by signing' and so he deserves player of the year???

The stats of games he has not played v he has played. Am maybe it's because they were harder games?? And he wasnt exactly anywhere to be found against Man United, Liverpool, City or Chelsea when he was fit to suggest he would have made much difference. Not to mention that we missed Ramsey and Walcott for these games too.

So please please can we have some perspective on Ozil this year. Yes it is his first season in England so deserves time. It is a different league and he has been targeted by other teams.

Yes he lacks runners ahead of him and players that suit more. But you can make the same argument for Giroud who has scored 20 goals and has 1 less assist than Ozil this season yet not too many defending him.

I await the rush of 'he is not that type of player' brigade now:rolleyes: Ramsay is able to perform excellently and consistently for us irrespective of who is in the team and that's what one expects from a £40 million player.

FFS I could make the argument in my defence that I would play better 'if' I had the right players around me.

I fully accept the reasons that he has not been as successful as many expected this season and believe next year he will come good. I am ok wth accepting that he has been a disappointment but I wont defend the indefensible as if to save face.

I will not join in the gang that can't accept he has been below expectation this season, was completely anonymous in big games and give him credit for the most basic of things at times and berate people who justifiably criticise his performances and are asked 'did you see him in Spain', 'he is not that type of player' 'he had Ronaldo beside him'.

Also excusing his attitude is ridiculous also. We rush in here to berate Arsenal for 'bottling it' and going hiding and no guts/character. That's the Arsenal we hope to see change with the likes of Mertesacker, Ramsey and Flamini leading the charge. Ozil is arguably the manifestation of the opposite to that but it's ok everyone 'he's not that kind of player'.:rolleyes:

It's ok to be disappointed with his first season lads and expect that he will kick on and perform from here on in.

Can't decide between Mert or Koscielny for Player of the Season. If Ramsay got it I would be happy too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Apparently PSG are interested in Ramsey. Offering 25m plus Pastore.
    No chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

dvemail wrote: »
    Apparently PSG are interested in Ramsey. Offering 25m plus Pastore.
    No chance.

absolutely to be filed under barmy nonsense !

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement