Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭wawaman

Raf32 wrote: »
    Fabregas to Van Persie....:(

Don't worry, van pursestrings won't be there next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

wawaman wrote: »
    Don't worry, van pursestrings won't be there next season

Ya he will up and leave them not the minute he sees sign of trouble. Over to Italy I expect.

Don't we need a cb?

Still only have the 3.

So cb, 2 goalies, striker.

Eh... And Fab.

It'll be another interesting summer...

Would people take Fabregas, Drmic and Mario Mandzukic this summer? Holding on to Sagna, Vermaelen and Fabianski.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Booed as he comes on there, Barca fans are so ungrateful.

I find it weird seen as the fan's wanted him to come back, as I said before he should have waited until Xavi and Iniesta career's were winding down to make the move, he wasn't really needed and they weren't playing to his strengths. I feel for the lad and I don't, he pushed for the move and now he's not looking like the star he was at Arsenal cause simply he's just another squad player plus he has two awesome performer's in his position.

I'd take him back but I could see a UTD putting in big money for him but do we really need him, I rather are money went on a DM, CB, World Class Striker and a pacey winger.

• Advertisement

Don't we need a cb?

Still only have the 3.

Eh... And Fab.

Ideally if we could hold on to everyone, we could add a young cheap centre back for fourth choice.

Would people take Fabregas, Drmic and Mario Mandzukic this summer? Holding on to Sagna, Vermaelen and Fabianski.

Fabianski is defo gone imo. Still need another cb. Got lucky with Mert & Kos staying injury free.

Fabregas to Van Persie....:(

I think his girlfriend (mother of his daughter) wants a move back to London, for her child's education and that she has other children from her ex husband who lives there. I think if he's coming back it be to London.

Fabianski is defo gone imo. Still need another cb. Got lucky with Mert & Kos staying injury free.

Yup agreed, Reid from West Ham is the one we should pick up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What happened to that wee CB Miguel who played for us a few years ago?

• Advertisement

Looper007 wrote: »
    I think his girlfriend (mother of his daughter) wants a move back to London, for her child's education and that she has other children from her ex husband who lives there. I think if he's coming back it be to London.

ya agreed, just that would be worst case scenario. tbh if he leaves Barca, can only see him coming to arsenal. Would love if Ox could make it as a left winger, him and theo on the wings is very good, especially with Ozil feeding them through balls.

I think we need around 5 to 6 signings really, of top to really good quality, I see Chelsea, City, Utd (they will spend big and playing less football next season will help like it has liverpool), Liverpool ( They need to spend big to big a bigger squad to deal with all the football they will play next season) will all get stronger, Spures with a decent manager and a few good signings might get stronger and Everton will be there too.

This summer we will need to make a statement that we mean business, no more "no value" or "the squad is strong enough and will come good" crap sprouted from Wenger, he needs to buy early (at least buy in one or two of quality that get us excited) then go for the big top quality buys to finish it off. I highly doubt it, I expect the same ****e sprouted by Wenger sadly.

What happened to that wee CB Miguel who played for us a few years ago?

He's with Leicester, I don't fancy him to be fair he lacks pace but I hope he proves me wrong but I could see him joining them full time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

As much as I like Fabregas, I don't consider his position an immediate issue in Arsenal.
    The list of priorities should be:
    Striker
    DM
    LB (if Sagna leaves)
    GK (assuming Fabianski will leave)
    CB
    CM/Winger

If they spend (just saying for argument's sake) 100m to bring five players in the first five categories, I can live without Fabregas at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Irish Aris wrote: »
    As much as I like Fabregas, I don't consider his position an immediate issue in Arsenal.
    Striker
    DM
    LB (if Sagna leaves)
    CB
    CM/Winger

If they spend (just saying for argument's sake) 100m to bring five players in the first five categories, I can live without Fabregas at the moment.

Pretty much agree with this assuming you mean a RB if Sagna leaves.

I still really hope Sagna and Fabianski stay but its looking more and more unlikely by the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

shano_88 wrote: »
    Pretty much agree with this assuming you mean a RB if Sagna leaves.

I still really hope Sagna and Fabianski stay but its looking more and more unlikely by the day.

yeah, sorry, you're right, I meant right back.
    I still hope that Sagna will stay, that things will work out.
    But Fabianski. . . I can understand he wants to leave. He is good enough to be more than just a back up for the cups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

I really don't see the point in getting Fabregas..
    Get a good striker and holding mid and i'll be happy.

Going by this guy.. https://twitter.com/ArsenalEdits/status/457897154065883136 This will be our jersey next season.

BlqkKsJCYAAJadr.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Don't we need a cb?

Still only have the 3.

Eh... And Fab.

Think we might sign Aurier to compete with Sanga at right back and have Sanga as right back and 4th centre back and hopefully keep Vermaelen competing at CB and cover at LB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Striker
    DM
    LB (if Sagna leaves)
    CB
    CM/Winger

Spending 100m on 5 new first team players. What could possibly go wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I find it weird seen as the fan's wanted him to come back, as I said before he should have waited until Xavi and Iniesta career's were winding down to make the move, he wasn't really needed and they weren't playing to his strengths. I feel for the lad and I don't, he pushed for the move and now he's not looking like the star he was at Arsenal cause simply he's just another squad player plus he has two awesome performer's in his position.

I'd take him back but I could see a UTD putting in big money for him but do we really need him, I rather are money went on a DM, CB, World Class Striker and a pacey winger.

I think their fans are like a kid when they see another kid with a toy they want...once they get the toy they get bored and don't want it any more. If he was available for £25m I don't think Wenger would be able to resist taking him back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

If he was available for £25m I don't think Wenger would be able to resist taking him back.

Anyone think he has peaked?

Is he better now than in 2009?

One think I have noticed is he is less mobile now than when he was a kid with us.

Mobility is what we are seriously lacking in midfield, only Ramsey and Ozil have have pace in the centre.

I think their fans are like a kid when they see another kid with a toy they want...once they get the toy they get bored and don't want it any more. If he was available for £25m I don't think Wenger would be able to resist taking him back.

Funnily i remember using the 'tech geek' analogy for Real Madrid last year :D It can probably be extended to Barca too. They all want the latest thing for the sake of it and then want the next latest thing while they consider the last acquisition to be obsolete.

Cesc gets a bit of doing of us Arsenal fans but in fairness to him his hometown club were the best in the world at the time and sweeping the board so it would be very hard to resist not going back to them when the side he was with had crumbled to Birmingham in the Carling cup final.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Omeceron

Funnily i remember using the 'tech geek' analogy for Real Madrid last year :D It can probably be extended to Barca too. They all want the latest thing for the sake of it and then want the next latest thing while they consider the last acquisition to be obsolete.

Cesc gets a bit of doing of us Arsenal fans but in fairness to him his hometown club were the best in the world at the time and sweeping the board so it would be very hard to resist not going back to them when the side he was part of had crumbled to Birmingham in the Carling cup final.

FYP

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »

One think I have noticed is he is less mobile now than when he was a kid with us.

Mobility is what we are seriously lacking in midfield, only Ramsey and Ozil have have pace in the centre.

He is still only 26/27. He is going through a dip but i think if he was to come back to us he could give us another dimension. I wouldnt say no to him tbh. RVP on the other hand i think we could get better strikers although he could probably still do a job for us.

Omeceron wrote: »
    FYP

Fair enough, you win and lose as a team but lets face it he was pulling alot of the strings for us for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »

At his peak with us he was arguably the best midfielder in the league, so yeah I don't really care if he's peaked :pac:

Kinda weird the two teams we beat on the last game of the season to wrap up fourth for the last two seasons, we play just before our final game.

Kinda weird the two teams we beat on the last game of the season to wrap up fourth for the last two seasons, we play just before our final game.

If you even look at the fixtures over the years there is alot of patterns in terms of when we play teams. We seem to always see big teams facing off closer to Christmas and end of April..

I'm very skeptical about this season to be honest. While we didn't fare well against the big teams it is strange that we got Man United and Liverpool back to back in November and February and then City and Chelsea back to back in December before getting Tottenham, Chelsea and City in March. Everton came after City too although I mean what are the chances really when you consider the amount of teams at the top of the table compared to the rest?

• Advertisement

4 more wins then we can focus on next year.

4 more wins then we can focus on next year.

And hopefully, hopefully next year that whoever is in charge be it Wenger or a new man will finally grasp the nettle and improve sufficiently in order to sustain a challenge. Looking at how Ramsey bombarded the box today really made me lament for how this season has panned out for us. He made a 50/60 yard run before setting up Podolski's goal. He has become a real huge huge player for us. He gives us so much attacking wise.

Next win for St Totteringhams day :)

Podolski doesn't work as the 1 in any formation but he should always be up there.

Podolski doesn't work as the 1 in any formation but he should always be up there.

If Ramsey or others could run from deep and lay off a shot then Podolski could arguably spearhead our attack in that sense. Either way he is an option. Id agree that Pod doesnt give alot because he doesnt track as good as he should and comes in too much instead of staying wider and linking up with the man on the overlap.

I think he is too much of a goal threat to ignore at this stage. Weve cried out for a fox in the box and here we have one staring us in the face. We need to design a system that can pertain to his strengths rather then depending on a striker for the sole sake of holding balls up and then waiting on midfielders to run into the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Balotelli, Fabregas and a CB. Fcuk the DM, just out score the opposition :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

If cesc becomes available we sign him and we change out formation ya can't let world class players go, even if I am enjoying him suffer after his strike

I'd set up the team like this, diamond formation 442

Ramsey
    Cesc. Wilshere
    Ozil
    Giroud. Walcott.

Plenty of options from the bench

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

If cesc becomes available we sign him and we change out formation ya can't let world class players go, even if I am enjoying him suffer after his strike

I'd set up the team like this, diamond formation 442

Ramsey
    Cesc. Wilshere
    Ozil
    Giroud. Walcott.

Plenty of options from the bench

So our most potent and best current attacking threat you'd have as our DM :confused:

If you look at it from the other way with Giroud and Walcott as DMs it nearly makes as much sense.

Quazzie wrote: »
    So our most potent and best current attacking threat you'd have as our DM :confused:

If you look at it from the other way with Giroud and Walcott as DMs it nearly makes as much sense.

He is at the base of the diamond, not a DM at all he can still attack, he defends as much as a normal DM anyway

And with cesc in the team he won't have too as much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

We should test Spurs resolve and throw in a sneaky 15 million bid for Sandro, I think he would be a super player for us. Would solve our DMF problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

If Ramsey or others could run from deep and lay off a shot then Podolski could arguably spearhead our attack in that sense. Either way he is an option. Id agree that Pod doesnt give alot because he doesnt track as good as he should and comes in too much instead of staying wider and linking up with the man on the overlap.
    I
    I think he is too much of a goal threat to ignore at this stage. Weve cried out for a fox in the box and here we have one staring us in the face. We need to design a system that can pertain to his strengths rather then depending on a striker for the sole sake of holding balls up and then waiting on midfielders to run into the box.

More a howitzer than a fox in the box.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    We should test Spurs resolve and throw in a sneaky 15 million bid for Sandro, I think he would be a super player for us. Would solve our DMF problem.

you know they won't sell to us, come on :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Now this is a heat map. All over the pitch.

ramsey_heatmap.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

And their next manager will have more sense than Sherwood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Gringo180 wrote: »

Sandro would be a cracking signing, he's a serious player and exactly what you need in that position; really high interception rate and really high tackle count. He's essentially the best of Arteta and the best of Flamini.

Spurs are mental to be letting him rot the way they are and I just can't see them letting him go to us, but then again they're an absolute jokeshop so you never know.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

If Fabregas was available at any sort of reasonable price, you'd take him. No brainer. You'd be adding a world class and motivated player who knows the league inside-out. To those asking where would he fit, I'd point you to our performances this season when Ramsey and Ozil were out injured...

Priority remains CF and DM though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Wonder where all the limerick Arsenal fans will be the day of the cup final fancy heading out for it

Flannery's on Denmark Street - the one near Arthur's Quay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Agent Sherwood may sell to us :D

Little fun fact- we beat Birmingham 3-0 away the month before we lost to them at Wembley.

Little fun fact- we beat Birmingham 3-0 away the month before we lost to them at Wembley.

Thats not fun... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Get out.

Seen on twitter someone suggest we offer Barca 15m plus tommy v

I like it

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement