Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Diaby having more muscle means there's just more of him to get injured.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Diaby having more muscle means there's just more of him to get injured.

It might help him shield the knocks not that he was ever easily shoved off the ball to begin with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

I'm once again allowing myself to dream of a Diaby filled future.

Diaby being involved in some way in a FA cup win this season would be an Arsenal highlight of this decade for me.

HazDanz wrote: »
    I'm once again allowing myself to dream of a Diaby filled future.

Diaby being involved in some way in a FA cup win this season would be an Arsenal highlight of this decade for me.

Bring him on for the last 5 mins..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

To risky.. Last minute at most :pac:

Then takes a shot from a similar position as he did against Chelsea, only scoring this time.

Arsenal Arsenal FC 6h
    He's back! Good luck to @AbouVDIABY as he makes his comeback for #Arsenal Under-21s against Chelsea pic.twitter.com/IU0aE03juV

Bl18Z8VCQAAiIMa.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

that scar is so bad, poor chap

Bl18Z8VCQAAiIMa.jpg:large

New bionic scared leg we were waiting for.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

That scar really brings home how much the poor lad has been put through the wringer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

He gets knocked down. But he gets up again. If only his body was as strong as his will.

Diaby's twitter https://twitter.com/AbouVDIABY

Here is a pic of the young 'pre-scarred' Abou from the said twitter page :)
    FacebookHomescreenImage.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Speaking of Diaby, here he is bullying Ben Arfa back in his Clairefontaine days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

shano_88 wrote: »
    Speaking of Diaby, here he is bullying Ben Arfa back in his Clairefontaine days!

From reading the YouTube comments, it's sounds like they were insulting each others' parents. I wonder will we see them play each other this weekend.

shano_88 wrote: »

Ha ha i see the French preparing well in advance for their senior years. A dress rehearsal for South Africa 2010.
    :D

Jesus i have to say i like Diaby even more after seeing that. Legend!
    Ben Arfa is only a Mercenary anyway playing for that idiot Pardew's club in the North East. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Ha ha i see the French preparing well in advance for their senior years. A dress rehearsal for South Africa 2010.
    :D

hahaha spot on :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Barca's transfer ban has been suspended (surprise surprise), so the Cesc move is on! :pac:

(would actually prefer Pedro or Sanchez if they're selling, but can't have enough good players)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Just reading back a few pages, do people really think Wenger will go in the summer? Hope he stays myself especially with the news Klopp will be staying in Germany for the forseeable future. We have made some progress this year and if we hadnt got so many injuries to KEY players for so long I think we would be much much closer to the top. Im am not saying Wenger is without his faults but hes the only man I want to see spending our money in the summer. DMF, Winger and a top top striker at the start of August and ill be a happy man.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If he stays I won't be disappointed but I still think it's time or a change. 2 wins plus Ramsey and Ozil coming back don't change the short comings that were there for everyone to see 2 weeks ago and in most of the season leading up to now.

If he stays he needs to become more adaptive with his tactics and also needs to sort out the team's mentality when it comes to big matches away from home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Just reading back a few pages, do people really think Wenger will go in the summer? Hope he stays myself especially with the news Klopp will be staying in Germany for the forseeable future. We have made some progress this year and if we hadnt got so many injuries to KEY players for so long I think we would be much much closer to the top. Im am not saying Wenger is without his faults but hes the only man I want to see spending our money in the summer. DMF, Winger and a top top striker at the start of August and ill be a happy man.

I think he might, really hope he doesn't. He deserves the chance to prove the naysayers wrong, and if he can now invest big money at last, he deserves the chance to do that.

• Advertisement

Agree on your 2 points, I would like us going away from home to the likes of City, Chelsea and Liverpool keeping it tight and playing counter attacking football. Those heavy defeats we suffered this year hurt me as much as anybody and the manager must learn from his errors next season.

Look at the 2 form teams in the league, Liverpool and Everton. These 2 clubs have had no European Cup to contend with and you can see coming to the back end of the season that having no midweek games is a massive advantage to them. One more win and we have matched last years points tally, personally I think we will win all our remaining games and we are only a few points off Chelsea and City who have a much much better squad than us, so theres more positives to take from the season than negatives.

Not to mention we have an FA Cup final to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Think he will stay I want him to stay

But for his legacy I don't no if it will be good or bad, we will be one defeat away from a crisis

I just don't no

Regardless of how the season pans out I think he should step aside. Cant handle another summer of inactivity and starting the season with the same tactics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I think the time has come and The FA cup would be a nice way to bow out

Regardless of how the season pans out I think he should step aside. Cant handle another summer of inactivity and starting the season with the same tactics.

Who is out there that you think could do a better job. Simeone is the only one I can think of but doubt he will leave Athletico.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

There is no other man i want to see (or deserves) bring us success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I'll be happy for him to have another 2 years in charge

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Who is out there that you think could do a better job. Simeone is the only one I can think of but doubt he will leave Athletico.

I would like to see him move on but wouldnt throw my toys out of the pram if he stays.

Its the boards job to find the right man, like they found Arsene, like Dortmund went with Kloop and Atletico went with Simone, Barce found Guardiola.

Sometimes the obvious choices are not the right ones. Hopefully if he is going the board are scoring the market for the right man who canbring forward I fear stagnation more than I fear change

Not my job to find the next manager. People are paid lots of money for that. If we go by the remit that "the right man is not available" we'll never find anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

Rudi Garcia would be a candidate I'd be interested in. I know Serie A isn't the strongest at the minute but he's done an amazing job with Roma this year, 82 points from 34 games so far is a very impressive points tally and would win the league most years. He might even be tempted to bring back a certain Ivoirian winger :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

I do think he should bow out gracefully, with any luck winning the Cup, but we definitely need to have our ducks in a row with regard to his replacement. You don't want a Moyes situation. The worrying thing being the club haven't shown any ability in this regard when it comes to other areas - conditioning team/transfers etc.

I'm afraid if he does stay then we end up with another Groundhog Day scenario of hopping from one transfer target to the next before signing someone minutes before the window closes and we're then into the season at that stage.

I was a big proponent of giving him the chance to spend the fruits yielded from the lean years but he's had that chance in 2 windows now (I mean Gazidis when pressed this time last year said we could easily afford Rooney!) and nothing. Not signing Luis Gustavo when the chance arose and cheaping out on Flamini instead was criminal (Flamini's been good but Gustavo was the epitome of a transfer buy to nothing and a more long term strategy). The Suarez debacle was criminal. Knowing on the 3rd of January that he was without Theo Walcott for the rest of the season and then doing nothing about it was criminal. He proceeded to use Gnabry for a few matches and then just discarded him - if we're placing trust in youth to step up then place ****ing trust in it. Don't do it half arsed.

The issue for me with regards the squad is there was always the rhetoric that why buy when we have players coming through etc - if they're good enough they'll make it through regardless of who's in the way and in fact, competition brings out the best in a lot of young players - is it surprising that Gibbs has stepped it up since Monreal has come in? I never got the aversion to improving the squad, just in case we impeded someones development. Maybe the Lass Diarra situation exacerbated it but still, it doesn't make sense.

The consistent injury situation which hasn't been addressed; the poor performance of our much touted academy (AW is here almost 20 years, in that time we've brought through Fabregas, Wilshere, Gibbs and Ashley Cole to have any impact on the 1st team, its a shocking return), the inability to cope with the big teams on big occasions with this seasons showing being the cherry on top. We could never do what Mourinho did last night; while its against the philosophy sometimes you have to do these things to win. Had we parked the bus in Barcelona in either Champions League games in 2010 or 2011 and got through would anyone have complained?

So for those reasons, as they say in Dragons Den, I'm out. Love the man, the most pivotal character the club has ever had, but there comes a point where he's in danger of damaging his legacy and the other fact that no man should be as big as or bigger than the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Soups123 wrote: »
    I would like to see him move on but wouldnt throw my toys out of the pram if he stays.

Its the boards job to find the right man, like they found Arsene, like Dortmund went with Kloop and Atletico went with Simone, Barce found Guardiola.

Sometimes the obvious choices are not the right ones. Hopefully if he is going the board are scoring the market for the right man who canbring forward I fear stagnation more than I fear change

OK, so where do we start? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Not my job to find the next manager. People are paid lots of money for that. If we go by the remit that "the right man is not available" we'll never find anyone.

But the converse is that there's always the right man available.

Look at the Man U situation, they're now hoping on Van Gaal who will stay max of 2/3 years and is far from guaranteeing success.

If Klopp or Rodgers or someone like that is right, then they should be sounded out now and asked 'if not this season, when'

gosplan wrote: »

Look at the Man U situation, they're now hoping on Van Gaal who will stay max of 2/3 years and is far from guaranteeing success.

If Klopp or Rodgers or someone like that is right, then they should be sounded out now and asked 'if not this season, when'

I agree. The right person is available if the price is right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I agree. The right person is available if the price is right.

Errr, that's not quite what I'm saying though.

The board decide, say it's Klopp, and get a commitment from him on when he'll be available.

If he's not interested, find the next candidate.

But it's about the person and when they'll be available, NOT on who we can get this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

jester77 wrote: »
    OK, so where do we start? :pac:

That's the facts sadly. There isn't anyone out there of top quality to replace him, Klopp and Simone would be great choices but they are loyal to their club.

My only fault with Wenger is his stubbornness to go out and spend big on areas that need tighten up. He has a squad that's three to four top class signings away from a league winning side but even this summer I'm not confident he do what's right in the transfer window. I expect him to buy on the cheap with players not good enough to win you leagues, throw a big signing to keep the fan's happy and watch us falter as injures are heaped upon are best players. He's our biggest stumbling block and our biggest plus at the same time.

Is anyone still convinced he go out this summer and spend like he hasn't done before?

gosplan wrote: »

There are many right men out there its finding them that is the hard part. I wouldnt hold it against the board if they made the change and it didnt work who ever the choice is.

If Wenger had of avoided the heavy defeats this year I may have considered this year good progress but I just feel less convinced by him now, mostly tactically. Not making a change and being here in two years time with the same issues is criminal

Looper007 wrote: »
    That's the facts sadly. There isn't anyone out there of top quality to replace him, Klopp and Simone would be great choices but they are loyal to their club.

My only fault with Wenger is his stubbornness to go out and spend big on areas that need tighten up. He has a squad that's three to four top class signings away from a league winning side but even this summer I'm not confident he do what's right in the transfer window. I expect him to buy on the cheap with players not good enough to win you leagues, throw a big signing to keep the fan's happy and watch us falter as injures are heaped upon are best players. He's our biggest stumbling block and our biggest plus at the same time.

Is anyone still convinced he go out this summer and spend like he hasn't done before?

Looper thats a lazy thought!

There are loads of managers out there, history has shown us that so many have came about unlikely, its all about the club knowing itself and finding the right character to match this.

its very likely that Klopp or Simone would be failures at Arsenal as likely as it would be for a Bergkamp or a Laudrup to succeed.

There are many right men out there its finding them that is the hard part.

like who Soups? Man Utd will get first dips on the best managing talent and for me there's only two managers out there I think that I think are capable of managing our great club, Simone (he's not going to leave a team that's could win the La Liga and CL for a team that's less of it's parts) and Klopp (I think he go to UTD rather then Arsenal).

• Advertisement

Looper thats a lazy thought!

There are loads of managers out there, history has shown us that so many have came about unlikely, its all about the club knowing itself and finding the right character to match this.

its very likely that Klopp or Simone would be failures at Arsenal as likely as it would be for a Bergkamp or a Laudrup to succeed.

I doubt Klopp or Simone would be failures Soups, both men work under a lot of pressure watching as bigger clubs steal their best players cause their clubs are in debt. With money to spend at Arsenal and the fact both men show their emotions on the sidelines and get involved to spur their players on I bet you neither would flop at Arsenal.

like who Soups? Man Utd will get first dips on the best managing talent and for me there's only two managers out there I think that I think are capable of managing our great club, Simone (he's not going to leave a team that's could win the La Liga and CL for a team that's less of it's parts) and Klopp (I think he go to UTD rather then Arsenal).

Look at Arsene, Guardiola, Rogers, Low, Mourinho (Porto) I could name loads more of managers who clubs appointed without having been the obvious choice at the times they were appointed

In the same manner you will have your Moyes, AVB, Sherwoods etc. were it doesnt work

The boards are paid fortunes to get this part right, we as fans will always just throw out the successful names, or the flavours of the year

I doubt Klopp or Simone would be failures Soups, both men work under a lot of pressure watching as bigger clubs steal their best players cause their clubs are in debt. With money to spend at Arsenal and the fact both men show their emotions on the sidelines and get involved to spur their players on I bet you neither would flop at Arsenal.

My point was more that there are just no guarantees. I would be more confident with Klopp than Simone for example, I would be delighted with that but if he isnt available I would hope the board are looking at other options.

As I said though I wouldnt be mad if Wenger stayed I would just be less encouraged

Look at Arsene, Guardiola, Rogers, Low, Mourinho (Porto) I could name loads more of managers who clubs appointed without having been the obvious choice at the times they were appointed

In the same manner you will have your Moyes, AVB, Sherwoods etc. were it doesnt work

The boards are paid fortunes to get this part right, we as fans will always just throw out the successful names, or the flavours of the year

It's a shame David Dein is still not around, not sure the current board could pull another gem like Wenger. Right now I'd like to see Klopp get the job, but that doesn't look likely for a few years. It would be a big gamble to also wait, even with a pre-contract in place. I don't see anyone obvious who could come in and move the club onto the next level.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flyingoutside

What the club needs now is stability. A new manager might do better but I don't want to risk it. With a few new players this squad will be challenging next season.

I think people have been spoilt with Wenger for so long and don't remember the mess before he joined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

What the club needs now is stability. A new manager might do better but I don't want to risk it. With a few new players this squad will be challenging next season.

I think people have been spoilt with Wenger for so long and don't remember the mess before he joined.

Well Bruce Rioch is available ;)

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

This post could have been written at any time over the past five years. Wenger signs a new deal and it could well be written at any time over the next five too.

The club needs fresh ideas and a fresh approach more than it needs stability.

gandalf wrote: »
    Well Bruce Rioch is available ;)

The orginal Moyes :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Its the boards job to find the right man, like they found Arsene,
    They didn't though. Dein did. And he's gone. The last manager the Board picked was Bruce Rioch.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭wawaman

article-1084392-00EE860600000190-789_306x443.jpg

Today is St. Georges Day !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

well we’ve got a fantastic starting point for any manager:
    1) A settled team of internationals with a good mix of personalities
    2) A world class stadium
    3) Substantial revenues incoming as the old deals expire
    4) A large international fan base
    5) Millions in the bank
    6) Mesut Ozil
    7) Aaron Ramsey

I’m sure we can attract a top manager when AW goes.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement