Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

It's season ticket renewal time me thinks

Would rumours of Cleverly or Smalling inspire anyone to renew a season ticket? :)

Not sure if this was posted yet but discovered it last night. Jerry Flannery and Jonny O'Connor testing their gk skills :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Diaby has a little groin strain after the U21 game...

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭hsbc

dvemail wrote: »
    Diaby has a little groin strain after the U21 game...

When is his contract up? Is he worth keeping on the books or is it enough is enough at this stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

enough is enough really. like him as a player but seriously, he's just a drain on resources now. He's become a millionaire by lying on a treatment table. Some bodies just arent cut out for it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yes, I feel really sorry for him, but it's just not going to work out for him at this stage. If he can't get through an Under 21's game without doing himself an injury, then I don't think that he'll survive a game in the first team.

Very sad. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Gringo180 wrote: »
    So that means we would of pulled out on the deal at 26 million euros because Napoli signed him for 37. He was a bargain at that price, 27 goals and 10 assists in 45 apps this season, he is one of the best strikers in world football.

You could argue we would of won the league with those goals this season.

Giroud has scored 20 so I doubt 7 goals would have seen us as champions and I doubt very much Wenger is willing to play 4-4-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Diaby's contract is up in June next year. Unless he plays at least 25-30 games next season and shows that he might finally be able to offer something to the team then he should be let go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Diaby is keeping 3/4 of our medical staff in a job.

• Advertisement

3/4 of a person? Combined with Diaby that's about 1.4 people. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Looks like bac is gonna leave. Sadly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

bad2dabone wrote: »

Another gone to Man City so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

So we couldn't manage 2 consecutive seasons without losing at least 1 of our best players. Plus ca change...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Giroud has scored 20 so I doubt 7 goals would have seen us as champions and I doubt very much Wenger is willing to play 4-4-2

Giroud has 20 overall not in the league, plus it could be said were Higuain playing in a better side in a less defensive league his record would be better. Not that I'm a huge believer in we missed out on Higuain just know we need better than Giroud.

Hopefully the same 3/4 that will be out of the job after or if this review is done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Hanalei

Would be a good signing for Man U, if they had sense they'd make a cheeky bid for Vermaelen while they're at it....

If we had sense, we'd revise this policy on contracts for players over 30. He's only 31, a 3 year contract to a 31 year old is safe enough. I understand one year contracts when dealing with someone 33 or older but the club seems to take it for granted that players will remain loyal regardless of the length of contract offered.

We lost Pires by messing him about in his final year and we risked losing Bergkamp on an annual basis. Only reason he signed each year from 2001 to 2005 was because we were regularly winning trophies at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hanalei wrote: »
    Would be a good signing for Man U, if they had sense they'd make a cheeky bid for Vermaelen while they're at it....

If we had sense, we'd revise this policy on contracts for players over 30. He's only 31, a 3 year contract to a 31 year old is safe enough. I understand one year contracts when dealing with someone 33 or older but the club seems to take it for granted that players will remain loyal regardless of the length of contract offered.

We lost Pires by messing him about in his final year and we risked losing Bergkamp on an annual basis. Only reason he signed each year from 2001 to 2005 was because we were regularly winning trophies at the time.

I don't think that policy exists anymore, pretty sure the amount of money we're offering is the main problem here not length.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Do we know what Sagna has been offered with us?

I think there's a huge have that PSG sounded him out and have put a lot of cash on the table if he comes as a free agent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

No but Giroud would of been back up striker so maybe he would of chipped in with around 10 goals and add in Higuains I think we would be very near the top, he has 17 league goals in Serie A which is a very hard league to score goals in (add in the fact he is playing under a defensive minded manager in Benitez), I have no doubt he would of scored around 25 league goals in England. He reminds me of Van Nistelrooy a bit but more mobile, if he gets half a chance in the box he scores.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I don't think that policy exists anymore, pretty sure the amount of money we're offering is the main problem here not length.

Unfortunately it's the money and the length. Policy does still exist, thing is we rarely have players over 30 at the club to test it out on anymore! I'm pretty sure that's the reason Gallas left in 2010 as well.

Edit; I remember it was presented to Gallas as one year with a pay rise or two years without a pay rise. I suspect something similar is happening with Sagna.

Apparently Sagna want's over 100k or over for a 3 year contract and at 31 he just isn't worth that imo.

34 earning 100k plus he could be a big drain on resources when he no longer has the legs to be getting up and down the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭hsbc

Really impressed with Sagna this year - always provides a threat going forward and rarely see him lose a header or tackle in defense.

Unfortunately it's the money and the length. Policy does still exist, thing is we rarely have players over 30 at the club to test it out on anymore! I'm pretty sure that's the reason Gallas left in 2010 as well.

That policy doesn't exist anymore. That policy was in place around the same time the stadium build was going on we were signing youth with promise and letting players go over 30 who wanted big contracts to balance the books.

Our squad these days isn't exactly full of young players.

Ignazio Abate would be a great replacement for Sagna, great at getting forward and very good defensively. Would be very gettable from Milan too.

Giroud has 20 overall not in the league, plus it could be said were Higuain playing in a better side in a less defensive league his record would be better. Not that I'm a huge believer in we missed out on Higuain just know we need better than Giroud.

Hopefully the same 3/4 that will be out of the job after or if this review is done.

The figure for Higuain was for all competitions aswell, ok in the league Higuain has scored 17 and Giroud 14, both have had 7 assists each, now considering Higuain has been playing with Callejon upfront and Giroud has been floged to death as a lone frontman, I think those stats further enhance teh claim that Giroud is not the problem.

And what 3 goals in what 3 games would have won us the league?

The figure for Higuain was for all competitions aswell, ok in the league Higuain has scored 17 and Giroud 14, both have had 7 assists each, now considering Higuain has been playing with Callejon upfront and Giroud has been floged to death as a lone frontman, I think those stats further enhance teh claim that Giroud is not the problem.

Your forgetting to factor in Girouds goals as a backup striker.

If Sagna does go, we're probably not going to sign a new right back. Jenkinson will be promoted and a promising young right back will be signed to take his place as understudy.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Might not have won us the league but an extra goal against Southampton, United at home and Swansea we would be a point ahead of Chelsea now, 4 behind Liverpool and them playing eachother on Sunday. Definitely preferable to where we are now!

Having said that, there's no guarantee Hig would have been any better than Giroud this season.

:confused::confused::confused::confused: show me were I said it would have won us the league?

I said Higuain plays in a more defensive league fact, Callejon or no Callejon that Napoli side is not as good the Arsenal team.

I said given he has more goals in a more defensive league in a poorer side it is reasonable to think he would have score more goals for us and therefore had an even better record than Girouds. Surely you can see that?

Also I said I don't feel overly aggrieved by the fact we lost out on Higuain as I've already said but we do need better than Giroud do you not agree?

hsbc wrote: »
    Really impressed with Sagna this year - always provides a threat going forward and rarely see him lose a header or tackle in defense.

I think Sagna's attacking threat is overrated compared to other RBs in the league. Last season he got no goals or assists. This season's stats:

Sagna - 1 goal 3 assists
    Coleman - 6 goals 2 assists
    Evra - 1 goal 5 assists
    Zab - 1 goal 5 assists

The best right backs combine defensive solidity with attacking returns and while I like Sagna, I think we might be better off investing in a top RB for the future instead of throwing money away on a 3 year contract for a player who is approaching the end of his career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Also the chances giroud has missed has to be a factor aswell.

We create a lot of chances and he has missed a good few, cant help thinking higuan would have buried them.

• Advertisement

Giroud has done fine, it's not so much we need someone better than him as much as we need someone different. I like him but I don't think he's the type of striker we need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

I think Sagna's attacking threat is overrated compared to other RBs in the league. Last season he got no goals or assists. This season's stats:

Sagna - 1 goal 3 assists
    Coleman - 6 goals 2 assists
    Evra - 1 goal 5 assists
    Zab - 1 goal 5 assists

The best right backs combine defensive solidity with attacking returns and while I like Sagna, I think we might be better off investing in a top RB for the future instead of throwing money away on a 3 year contract for a player who is approaching the end of his career.

Yes but our defence has been solid for the majority of the season, take him out and who knows what will become of our defence.

I much rather a solid and settled defence and leave the attacking up to our midfield.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    So that means we would of pulled out on the deal at 26 million euros because Napoli signed him for 37. He was a bargain at that price, 27 goals and 10 assists in 45 apps this season, he is one of the best strikers in world football.

You could argue we would of won the league with those goals this season.
    :confused::confused::confused::confused: show me were I said it would have won us the league?

I said Higuain plays in a more defensive league fact, Callejon or no Callejon that Napoli side is not as good the Arsenal team.

I said given he has more goals in a more defensive league in a poorer side it is reasonable to think he would have score more goals for us and therefore had an even better record than Girouds. Surely you can see that?

Also I said I don't feel overly aggrieved by the fact we lost out on Higuain as I've already said but we do need better than Giroud do you not agree?

You didnt but it was said, I just dont buy that some have said Higuain is one of the best strikers in the world, his not, he is a very good player but imo so is Giroud, the only point I was making was Giroud is not the problem, the lack of depth and a viable option is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

hsbc wrote: »

In fairness he has not added a lot going forward. He can't cross at all this season, always has to take a first touch.
    He is massive defensively though.

You didnt but it was said, I just dont buy that some have said Higuain is one of the best strikers in the world, his not, he is a very good player but imo so is Giroud, the only point I was making was Giroud is not the problem, the lack of depth and a viable option is.

One of only 13 players to score over 100 league goals for Madrid and outscored Ronaldo in 2010 but yes Giroud is as good!

Ah right sorry :o, I agree he's not one of the best in the world but I do think he would be better than Giroud by a good bit and would have scored more goals for us than Giroud has.

The point I was trying to get at is we need someone better than Giroud imo, it not that I don't like Giroud or don't rate him much like Podolski I'd love to keep both in the squad but think we could and should be aiming for a step or two above them if we really want to be up there battling away.

Giroud starting and being our main striker is very much the problem, no pace, doesn't run in behind and misses far too many chances. He is a good player no doubt but not good enough to be our number 1 goal threat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

I said given he has more goals in a more defensive league in a poorer side it is reasonable to think he would have score more goals for us and therefore had an even better record than Girouds.

100% agree with this. Giroud's 20 goals might sound good, but he squanders an awful amount of chances. A better player, which Hig definitely is IMO, would have scored more in his position. For a striker, Giroud's finishing and striking of the ball is brutal at times.

Hig has more shots, higher accuracy, more goals, equal on assists playing fewer games with a poorer side in a very defensive league. I think Arsenal missed out.

One of only 13 players to score over 100 league goals for Madrid and outscored Ronaldo in 2010 but yes Giroud is as good!

Don't bother, even suggesting he is better than Giroud is being too negative and downbeat and hard on Olivier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Don't bother, even suggesting he is better than Giroud is being too negative and downbeat and hard on Olivier.

if he reads this thread it would destroy his confidence for the last few games!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Would like barcay to stay not too bothered if he leaves either though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Why don't ya add to the debate instead of making snidy little comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I think that it's undoubtable that Giroud squanders chances and that he isn't as clinical as we need him to be if we want to go for the title. However, his contribution for the player he is has been fine for the club, if we added somebody that was more clinical, had pace to run and slide through defences, we would be flying next season, with Giroud a nice rotation option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Akpom got another brace today for the U21s against Newcastle.
    Surely he deserves to be nearer the 1st team than Sanogo, or get a year loan at a Championship team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

I think Girouds problem is he needs Walcott outside him to play his best stuff, I also think thats when Ozil played his best when he had Theo to play ball through to.
    I would say a speedy winger should be as high as getting in a "World Class" striker.

• Advertisement

I never said Giroud was as good as Higuain, I merely said Giroud is not the problem the lack of options/partner is the problem. And at £10m he was and is a great piece of business and Hiquain at three times that price was over priced imo.

Button, you being negative nah surely not, your a beacon of light even on the darkest of days :rolleyes:

astonaidan wrote: »
    I think Girouds problem is he needs Walcott outside him to play his best stuff, I also think thats when Ozil played his best when he had Theo to play ball through to.
    I would say a speedy winger should be as high as getting in a "World Class" striker.

Absolutely, he lost the service of Walcott and Ramsey and had an off form Ozil and an indifferent Wilshire, but yet its been claimed he was getting far better service than Hiquain was.

Feels like Walcott only signed his current contract yesterday but it expires in June 2016, going to have to start the renegotiation process again this summer. He looked for and eventually got a contract that made him the clubs best player last time so I'm assuming he'll do the same again. And again, the club won't be willing to go with this at first.

2014-15; the season where we are irritated by the latest never ending will he/won't he Theo Walcott contract saga.

On a side note, this day 10 years ago we drew 2-2 at White Hart Lane and won the league.

invincibles___82628e7cb5f24d03b97ea0811d329f05%28682x400%29__82__.jpg

I never said Giroud was as good as Higuain, I merely said Giroud is not the problem the lack of options/partner is the problem. And at £10m he was and is a great piece of business and Hiquain at three times that price was over priced imo.

I'm just a bit defensive about Higuain, think he's a great striker and underrated by some. He'd probably still be at Madrid if it wasn't for Perez and his favouritism towards Benzema, his " galactico" :rolleyes: I think we all agree that Giroud isn't the problem, it's the fact that he's not good enough to be the first choice that's the problem.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement