Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Coleman for example wouldn't be on 100k wages and is a young player who will most likely improve over 3 years rather than decline even if we were to give him near that much.

I love sagna and he's as solid as a rock defensively but don't think he's worth paying that much in fairness at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

Coleman for example wouldn't be on 100k wages and is a young player who will most likely improve over 3 years rather than decline even if we were to give him near that much.

I love sagna and he's as solid as a rock defensively but don't think he's worth paying that much in fairness at this stage.

Coleman would cost at lowest 15- 20 million and would get at least 60 - 80k a week, over 3 years that would work out at over 30 million give or take.

He will be 29 at the end of it and worth nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

As much as I rate Coleman, I'm not sure if he would suit the team/defensive set up.

Yes he is fantastic going forward, but anytime I have seen him he seems to spend more time going forward than playing as a defender. Now there is not much between him and Sagna in many respects but Sagna does seem to hold back maybe 10m that allow him to recover a little faster if someone else loses the ball whereas Coleman will be at the corner flag.

My lasting memories of this season will be of that game against Liverpool where one poor pass from the defence lead to one of the first half goals. Sagna wasn't involved in that move at all, but was after pushing on a bit meaning he couldn't make it back in time. If we do get a replacement for him, I would like to get someone who wouldn't be likely to make those type of mistakes rather than someone who is more likely to make them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

If we had a 34 RB On 100k and more than likely only be back up at that stage this place would be going nuts

The club are doing the right thing with sagna

I'd rather invest the money in someone we can have over a few contracts

Love the man and he showed the club great loyalty and if he wants to move on I wish him all the best but I'm backing the club in this one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

The thing with Sagna is that he would make a very solid centre back at 34, even a great back up; if he doesn't have the pace to play right back.

He was never disappointed in the centre and it looked like he would be tried a lot there this season but it was our first season in so long where we practically injury free at centre back for the most part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭kevinroche3333

I consider Sagna to be defensively the best right back in the league. He contributes well going forward and even from goalkicks he is often a target because he is very good in the air, especially proven in his stints at centreback. Our team has at times lacked a little leadership and fight and i dont think anyone is more of a fighter in our team than Bacary.
    Ideally Walcott has a full season next year with the team looking to use his pace at every opportunity especially against the stronger teams on the counterattack, and Sagna is the pefect compliment to this approach while also linking well going forward.
    I can see the clubs point of view regards value for money with players over 30 but in my mind Sagna will be hard to replace and is worth investing in. Jenkinson is very willing but is a definite downgrade on Sagna and we want to be upgrading not weakening our team. To see him go play for City etc would be sickening and surely demoralising for the current squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    Coleman would cost at lowest 15- 20 million and would get at least 60 - 80k a week, over 3 years that would work out at over 30 million give or take.

He will be 29 at the end of it and worth nothing.

Are we the only fans that care about sell on value and how much a player will be earning in wages? Does it really matter if he had no sell on value if we signed him and he reached that age, by that time you would like to hope he gave us 3-4 years of great service and contributed to winning a few trophies. I think us Arsenal fans get too much caught up in the financial side of the game.

Our fans are paying top dollar so we shouldn't the club?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Why are people worrying about sagnas wages?

Haven't we learned anything from the higuan and Suarez episodes?

We have what looks like our most consistent and settled defence in years, and people are happy to disrupt it over an extra 20 grand a week or so.

Ashley cole springs to mind.

We wouldn't give into flaminis demands years ago, only to resign him years later, what does that say.

Can't let experience like Sagna pass over wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Why are people worrying about sagnas wages?

Haven't we learned anything from the higuan and Suarez episodes?

We have what looks like our most consistent and settled defence in years, and people are happy to disrupt it over an extra 20 grand a week or so.

Ashley cole springs to mind.

We wouldn't give into flaminis demands years ago, only to resign him years later, what does that say.

Can't let experience like Sagna pass over wages.

Sagna has to be replaced this year or next year though. There are simply not too many 32 year old full backs at top clubs.

Just spend some money and get a new player who will be here for years. Worth doing this while the rest of the defence is settled too.

I think people are just out to complain about the club on this one.

It seems to have already decided by posters that this is penny pinching, Jenks will be promoted for free etc etc.

Can we not just wait and see what happens?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

gosplan wrote: »
    Sagna has to be replaced this year or next year though. There are simply not too many 32 year old full backs at top clubs.

Just spend some money and get a new player who will be here for years. Worth doing this while the rest of the defence is settled too.

It seems to have already decided by posters that this is penny pinching, Jenks will be promoted for free etc etc.

If you had said that 6 or 7 years ago, many would agree with you. But not at this stage. "Wait and see what happens" is a bit rich when the fans know what will happen....because it has happened before. When Henry moved on who replaced him? How about when Fabregas left? Or when Nasri was sold?

If Wenger is still in charge, the likelihood is that a cheap Sanogo like replacement will be bought because that has been the modus operandi of the club. I can see why some fans would be wary of letting Sagna go. Not that I think he's as good as some in here claim....I just agree that the odds of finding a better one without spending some money are slim.

Arsenal aren't alone in this. Both United and Spurs pissed away their Ronaldo and Bale money and ended up worse off. But atleast they spent theirs :p. And when Evra leaves united this summer like Sagna does, you can be damned sure Buttner wont become the number one choice. They will buy coentrao or shaw or somebody else to replace him.

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »

You make it sound so easy to just go out and sign a perfect replacement for sagna.

Good fullbacks aren't easy to find, we need to keep the team together and add, not replace.

Kirby wrote: »
    If you had said that 6 or 7 years ago, many would agree with you. But not at this stage. "Wait and see what happens" is a bit rich when the fans know what will happen....because it has happened before. When Henry moved on who replaced him? How about when Fabregas left? Or when Nasri was sold?

If Wenger is still in charge, the likelihood is that a cheap Sanogo like replacement will be bought because that has been the modus operandi of the club. I can see why some fans would be wary of letting Sagna go. Not that I think he's as good as some in here claim....I just agree that the odds of finding a better one without spending some money are slim.

Arsenal aren't alone in this. Both United and Spurs pissed away their Ronaldo and Bale money and ended up worse off. But atleast they spent theirs :p. And when Evra leaves united this summer like Sagna does, you can be damned sure Buttner wont become the number one choice. They will buy coentrao or shaw or somebody else to replace him.

Monreal was signed for close to 10 million when we had Gibbs with Verm as backup.

All the examples you offered were from a time when we had very different financial constraints.

Just wait and see.

Gosplan is right sagna is gonna have to be replaced anyway, even if he signs a new deal I'd expect next season to be his last as a starter anyway

I remember against Southampton he was blown away by luke shaw, he just couldn't keep into him

We need to invest in a young RB who we will have for the next 5/6 years

You make it sound so easy to just go out and sign a perfect replacement for sagna.

Good fullbacks aren't easy to find, we need to keep the team together and add, not replace.

But it has to be done. Sagna will not be first choice in two years so you replace him this summer or next.

People are acting like Sagna has five years left and Arsenal are passing up on that because of a small pay rise.

I'd be more mad if we were loosing Gibbs instead of sagna

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

United going all out to buy Luke Shaw while our people are scratching their balls again.
    Can we ever just go and do the business for once.

Ah who knows, he could end up doing a Maldini or costacorta!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

United going all out to buy Luke Shaw while our people are scratching their balls again.

if united want to pay an 18 year old 100k a week then let them.

Sagna's a very good player but not irreplacable, I like him a lot but it's not cause for the hand wringing that's going on at the moment.
    There are plenty of available replacements out there.

Random non-sensical complaint.

The transfer window isn't open. Who gives a sh1t who is linked to who by lazy journalists? How the hell are we at fault here?

If the last few years have taught us anything, it's that players like Shaw will go to whoever spends most on them. Going 'all out for someone' as you call it, means nothing.

How do you were not working on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

L'equipe saying that Sagna is close to joining Fenerbache who will double his wages. Looks like all he wants is a big payday. No offence to the Turkish league but it's not where you go if you have ambition to win major trophies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

I'd be more mad if we were loosing Gibbs instead of sagna

Sagna is our most consistent defender imo. Gibbs is injury prone and nothing special when he starts anyways.

Raf32 wrote: »
    Sagna is our most consistent defender imo. Gibbs is injury prone and nothing special when he starts anyways.

Gibbs is very naive defensively, his positioning and concentration over 90 minutes leaves alot to be desired. He is good to have as back up or to use as a make shift winger but I dont think he is good enough to be a starter imo.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Gibbs is very naive defensively, his positioning and concentration over 90 minutes leaves alot to be desired. He is good to have as back up or to use as a make shift winger but I dont think he is good enough to be a starter imo.

Agreed he is only a converted winger imo, looks decent going forward, terrible at the back. Rather keep Sagna and spend money on Shaw or someone like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

We have renewed deals with lots of our best players this year, if Sagna doesn't sign, that's down to him, not the club. If we're offering him 3 years and a pay rise at his age, and he's opting not to take it, then there's no way you can blame the club at all.

Gringo180 wrote: »

Completely disagree here

I like Gibbs think he is very good and young so plenty of room for improvement

Agreed he is only a converted winger imo, looks decent going forward, terrible at the back. Rather keep Sagna and spend money on Shaw or someone like that.

I think Gibbs is very bit as good as shaw at ye moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

I like Gibbs, but I wouldn't go that far.

Maybe he is, maybe he isnt but he is always injured so that kind of makes it in shaws favour. After Diaby, Gibbs is the one always out. Wouldnt be surprised if we dont see him again this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Shaw is extremely good for his age but no way in hell is he better than Gibbs at present. Players at clubs like Southampton don't get scrutinised half as much as our guys.

AdamD wrote: »
    Shaw is extremely good for his age but no way in hell is he better than Gibbs at present. Players at clubs like Southampton don't get scrutinised half as much as our guys.

Fully agree here I think shaw will grow into a better player over time but at the moment there about the same

Maybe he is, maybe he isnt but he is always injured so that kind of makes it in shaws favour. After Diaby, Gibbs is the one always out. Wouldnt be surprised if we dont see him again this year.

He is a bit injury prone but look at his age and give him a chance I hate when we write off young players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Gibbs is generally quite injury prone but this season he has played a fair proportion of the games.

I think some people really underrate Gibbs in this thread, if he played for Southampton or whoever people would be raving about him from afar.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Bit of an exaggeration, Gibbs has played 39 times this season which is more than Shaw. Pretty good going if he's 2nd only to Diaby in terms of injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Wouldnt mind too much losing Sanga. I dont think he has been great in the 2nd half of the season. He's too slow. We badly need pace. And lots of it

• Advertisement

You wont find a better more dependable right back then Sagna who covers centre back too. Dont care for his age, he is rock solid and could move into the centre later on in his career.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Bit of an exaggeration, Gibbs has played 39 times this season which is more than Shaw. Pretty good going if he's 2nd only to Diaby in terms of injuries.

Jaysus didnt know he played that much. But it still rings true he is an injury prone player who will spend a chunk of time injured. If Monreal had better positional play though gibbs wouldnt even be in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

You wont find a better more dependable right back then Sagna who covers centre back too. Dont care for his age, he is rock solid and could move into the centre later on in his career.

Sagna is a decent defender.. But there's plenty of those out there.
    He's good defensively but is pretty terrible when asked to attack down the flank.

For a defensive fullback he's good.. But overall he lacks the attacking ability most full backs need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Hanalei

If news broke today that Sagna signed a new deal the comments would have been universally positive, so I find it a little disappointing that many fans are treating his departure as an irrelevance or a minor inconvenience at worst.

Yes, we could sign someone as good or better but lets not forget everything we know about Wenger, what is he more likely to do; spend £15m+ on a new RB or promote Jenkinson?

Anyone know if we can find stats showing where we concede goals from? I'm not so sure about us being much stronger defensively on the right. Apart from when Podolski is on the left of course. :pac:

• Advertisement

Hon Southampton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

What a finish

Completely disagree here

I like Gibbs think he is very good and young so plenty of room for improvement

Did you see his defending at Stamford Bridge, you would see better in a Sunday league game down the local park. Far too injury prone for my liking too.

Edit - Just seen that stat, didnt think he played that many games this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Hanalei wrote: »
    If news broke today that Sagna signed a new deal the comments would have been universally positive, so I find it a little disappointing that many fans are treating his departure as an irrelevance or a minor inconvenience at worst.

Yes, we could sign someone as good or better but lets not forget everything we know about Wenger, what is he more likely to do; spend £15m+ on a new RB or promote Jenkinson?

Option C - spend 8 million on a right back with acceptable ability

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

We have renewed deals with lots of our best players this year, if Sagna doesn't sign, that's down to him, not the club. If we're offering him 3 years and a pay rise at his age, and he's opting not to take it, then there's no way you can blame the club at all.

Most sensible post on here regarding the Sagna scenario. It's a clear as day to me that Sagna has his mind made up to leave. The Club has tied down all the top players on long deals now. It clearly says the ball is in Sagna's court. Maybe he has been offered 100,000??

Sagna doesn't want to appear greedy either. His agent will be putting it back on Arsenal knowing it will stick given the situation in the past. He has been very loyal, deserves his FA Cup medal and I wish him all the best. Some people on here cannot resist a pop at the Club no matter what.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Everton putting themselves out of contention here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭ironkiwi

What a header from Coleman, love the chant "who needs Jay Rodriguez, we've got your back four"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I'd love to see everton get CL football - not at our expense - but they've shot themselves in the foot here and against CPalace.

Cheers Everton.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

dvemail wrote: »
    I like Gibbs, but I wouldn't go that far.

Shaw is no better than Gibbs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Bac leaving means we'll likely need 2 centre halves to break even in that part of the pitch assuming Vermaelen leaves too. Clearly Bac was the 4th choice CB for the manager this year.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement