Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I hate Monday games.

I hate Monday games.

Bob Geldof is a Gooner....Who knew :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

For all the talk about results football, its seems to have fallen through the cracks that Chelsea won't actually be winning the league..

AdamD wrote: »
    For all the talk about results football, its seems to have fallen through the cracks that Chelsea won't actually be winning the league..

Quite possible and hopefully this will be the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I saw someone say in the match thread that this shows he's the best manager in the league. Surely if he was, he'd be be top of the table (and not lose to Sunderland and Villa).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

I saw someone say in the match thread that this shows he's the best manager in the league. Surely if he was, he'd be be top of the table (and not lose to Sunderland and Villa).

do you think Rodgers is the best so? dont get me wrong he has had one of the best seasons from a managerial perspective that i have seen but he isnt the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Raf32 wrote: »
    do you think Rodgers is the best so? dont get me wrong he has had one of the best seasons from a managerial perspective that i have seen but he isnt the best.

This season he has been the best. We'll have to see how he gets on with them in future seasons.

I knocked Girouds goalscoring record against the other top four teams all year and then I see Suarez hasnt scored any against them either. Suppose its tough in the really big games though. Henry never scored in a final like

This season he has been the best. We'll have to see how he gets on with them in future seasons.

Chelsea only two behind them and in the champions league final. Arsenal well behind them but could potentially end up with more trophies despite playing 15 games more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Chelsea are West Ham or Stoke except with a team full of 30 million pound players. Anyone who cheers for that, ever, should stick to watching rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Pulis? took a team destined for relegation, arguably the least talented team in the division and has saved them. Rodgers has been impressive but Pulis is up there this season.

Strong case for Tony Pulis this season too in fairness. He has done a super job at Palace.

People in general are inclined to take a simplified view of the game these times and come to this conclusion that trophies are the only metric. All well and good but for me a great manager is someone who achieves on limited resources.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,413 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Chelsea only two behind them and in the champions league final. Arsenal well behind them but could potentially end up with more trophies despite playing 15 games more.

Going from 7th to getting this close to a title deserves every plaudit, even if (and it's still an if) they don't win the trophy in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I knocked Girouds goalscoring record against the other top four teams all year and then I see Suarez hasnt scored any against them either. Suppose its tough in the really big games though. Henry never scored in a final like

People always said that but it never made any sense to me. I mean surely the 'flat track bully' thing is just obvious.

You're a fast wing forward, do you do better in matches against Ashley Cole or Paul Macshane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Pellegrini has done OK, integrated the new players well. Just fell off after Christmas really, but consistant enough to win it all now.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Going from 7th to getting this close to a title deserves every plaudit, even if (and it's still an if) they don't win the trophy in the end.

Oh ya dont get me wrong, definitely manager of the year. what he has done is nothing short of heroic, just dont think he is best in the league with only a few seasons sample size.

gosplan wrote: »
    Pellegrini has done OK, integrated the new players well. Just fell off after Christmas really, but consistant enough to win it all now.

Genuinely think he has been poor. Not done overly well in the games against liverpool and chelsea. With that squad the league should be over now.

Walcott scored against 5 of the top 7 last season. Arsenal and City being the 2 he didn't score against. He scored a brace against City this season. Don't think he will ever get credit for being a big game player though.

No players in team of the year, thought one of the cb's would get in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Big game manager though. 16 points out of 18 against the rest of the top four. Mans a winner

You can call him a winner if he manages to win something this year ;) until then no.

The fawning the media do over him is ridiculous to be honest, he really is a detestable character imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

You can call him a winner if he manages to win something this year ;) until then no.

The fawning the media do over him is ridiculous to be honest, he really is a detestable character imo.

He'd rival Paul Heyman for best WWE heel :pac:

Spot on. Sure we could all park the bus with 30m + players and call ourselves a special one and a 'true winner'. Genuinely hope he wins fúck all.

I nearly had to ask for a sick bucket when i heard the ott analysis of him on MOTD2 Extra earlier on.

If it was us in evertons shoes next week and a win for us would basically hand tottenham the league, would you want the team to lie down and let city win?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

If it was us in evertons shoes next week and a win for us would basically hand tottenham the league, would you want the team to lie down and let city win?

It's great that this will forever remain a hypothetical question :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Hanalei

Walcott scored against 5 of the top 7 last season. Arsenal and City being the 2 he didn't score against. He scored a brace against City this season. Don't think he will ever get credit for being a big game player though.

Thank god for that :pac:

Point taken though, he doesn't get the credit he deserves. He can be frustrating as hell but his stats don't lie, there is a definite end product there. Forgive me for the pointless "if only" but if only he and Ramsey didn't miss so much time things could have been so different.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Win tomorrow night and we can Coast until the final

Should St Totteringham's day be renamed St Tims day in honour of our most famous gooner? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Should St Totteringham's day be renamed St Tims day in honour of our most famous gooner? :pac:

Just realised it'll be tomorrow if we win...looking forward to the game even more now :)

It's great that this will forever remain a hypothetical question :D

Now now get your facts right ...If Bale and Modric hadn't have left they'd be challenging for the league right now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I COULDA BEEN A CONTENDER

• Advertisement

Christ were almost a quarter way through this thread which started 17 days ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

In fairness, I hope he never scores against Arsenal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

i wish i did not get tickets for tonights game because the underground train strike starts at 9pm!! how are over 50k people going to get home? poor!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,413 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

i wish i did not get tickets for tonights game because the underground train strike starts at 9pm!! how are over 50k people going to get home? poor!

There's no risk of the match being canceled is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Too late for it to be canceled

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭kevinroche3333

I thought it was interesting to note, with the PFA team of the year just announced and the debate about Sagna, that Bacary has twice previously been voted into the PFA team of the year.
    I'm aware he is not getting any younger but its hard to replace that kind of consistent quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I thought it was interesting to note, with the PFA team of the year just announced and the debate about Sagna, that Bacary has twice previously been voted into the PFA team of the year.
    I'm aware he is not getting any younger but its hard to replace that kind of consistent quality.

I really think we should hang on to him. All of the big clubs have experienced 30+ year olds who are paid what they are worth, Sagna definitely falls into that bracket and no matter who we replace him with IMO it would be a step back for our defence at least.

I'd take Coleman over him every day of the week at this stage. Can't see Wenger doing it though which is part of our problem.

If Sagna goes its gonna be Jenko and Bellerin battling for the spot which will be a nightmare. If Tommy leaves too then the defense is in trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I'd take Coleman over him every day of the week at this stage. Can't see Wenger doing it though which is part of our problem.

A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. Coleman will have many suitors not to mention the fact that Everton will try to hold onto him. And yes Sagna is not as good going forwards as Coleman, but Sagna is better defensively. His heading ability is invaluable when it comes to defending set-plays. As has already been mentioned he is an excellent centre-back too when called upon to perform that role. I really hope we can find a way to hold onto him

greendom wrote: »
    A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. Coleman will have many suitors not to mention the fact that Everton will try to hold onto him. And yes Sagna is not as good going forwards as Coleman, but Sagna is better defensively. His heading ability is invaluable when it comes to defending set-plays. As has already been mentioned he is an excellent centre-back too when called upon to perform that role. I really hope we can find a way to hold onto him

Excellent CB is a stretch, I think hes played their 3 times ever, all against poor sides. I think Coleman is far superior at his point and only going to get better whilst Sagna further loses his athleticism which is massively important for a full back in this league. I'd also question the massive rating of Sagna's defending when hes been severely caught out in some of our thrashings this season, particularly Liverpool and Chelsea away.

Probably sounds overly harsh, hes been pretty good but I think he can be improved upon and is starting to decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

As I said before I think we're blowing his centre back displays a bit out of proportion

But why are we comparing him to Coleman? no way we get him, what we will get will be some kid who wont be a patch on Sagna, so i would rather keep him.

Excellent CB is a stretch, I think hes played their 3 times ever, all against poor sides. I think Coleman is far superior at his point and only going to get better whilst Sagna further loses his athleticism which is massively important for a full back in this league. I'd also question the massive rating of Sagna's defending when hes been severely caught out in some of our thrashings this season, particularly Liverpool and Chelsea away.

I agree I realy about excellent CB being a little much. I meant to say that he has always performed excellently at CB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

Match thread for tonight's game guys! COYG

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057199020

• Advertisement

DenMan wrote: »
    Match thread for tonight's game guys! COYG

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057199020

Sorry, Den, there is one already set up.....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057196566

As I said before I think we're blowing his centre back displays a bit out of proportion

Still think he is worth holding onto guys. The other full backs we have pale by contrast to him.

Havent seen Bellerin yet but if he is anything like his compatriot on the other side it doesnt fill me with confidence. Jenks is still raw and to be fair to him he gets better with games so might be suited to a loan move to a premier league club to give him game time. He has alot of good attributes but im not sure he is ready to step up yet. He badly needs games.

I love Coleman myself as a player dont get me wrong i think he'd be fantastic for us and id gladly have him if Sagna leaves but my fear is we'll have another Clichy situation. A last minute trolley dash with Santos mark two coming in.

Were also linked with a Sebastien Jung from Eintracht. That could be a gamble as he has no Premier League experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Sagna reportedly wants a 3 yr contract of a 100k plus, can anyone here honestly say they would be happy with that much resources being pumped into a player who will be 34 and in all likelihood is going to at best a squad player?

We'd all like to keep him but the club can't be silly Sagna is essentially just looking for a final big pay day and fair play to him I wish him all the best but the club's can't be silly either.

The money be better invested in a new younger rb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

Sorry, Den, there is one already set up.....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057196566

Cool stuff! I've already got a reply to it. Hopefully the soccer mods will merge them! :)

Serge Aurier, 21 year old Ivorian, currently at Tolouse has also been mentioned.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement