Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Benzema has been woeful for Real in the first half here, wouldnt be too fussed about trying to sign him in the summer.

If you are just gonna base it on one game, you'd say that the entire Bayern team is ****e and wouldn't take any of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I'd take Benzema over Benteke obviously but I don't fancy either all that much. I've watched Benzema a lot, for the record.

Hes not really an out and out centre forward tho is he, seems to drop too deep at times looking for the ball similar in a way to Giroud. Benteke is our man ;)

I think Benteke just reminds me too much of Adebayor the way he instantly put in a transfer request after being linked with clubs. And on top of that i havent been too impressed when ive seen him this season.

I would just see Benzema in an Henry type of mould where he could drag defenders everywhere with his pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Benzema has been woeful for Real in the first half here, wouldnt be too fussed about trying to sign him in the summer.

Think you need a little longer than 45 minutes to judge him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Hate that Robben anyway. A diving despicable little scrote.

I do like Pep though but to be honest i felt that Bayern were a more direct under Heynckes. They are a bit too tippy-tappy under Guardiola. Traditionally German teams are counter attacking. Guardiola is of a different mindset. A few directors like Beckenbauer meant to be unhappy with him. When that happens its never a good sign.

Yes, trying to play like Barca and walk the ball in to the goal. Not going go happen as they do not have a Messi et al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Benteke as our main striker? He is good, but is he that good? Plus, does anybody knows how many games he missed due to injuries?
    I would like something more than him.
    I'd also like us to keep Giroud. Big advantage that he doesn't get easily injures, and that's a big plus for our team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Ill tell you who i dont want and not based on tonight. have seen him numerous times and would be devastated if we were to sign Mandzucik to be our main striker which is a good probability.

Raf32 wrote: »
    Ill tell you who i dont want and not based on tonight. have seen him numerous times and would be devastated if we were to sign Mandzucik to be our main striker which is a good probability.

Having my doubts about him myself. He is a bit too static for my liking. Good finisher but would he get the supply he needs at Arsenal? He definately wouldnt be willing to run the channels like Giroud.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Mandzukic is basically Giroud. Id be very dissapointed if we signed him as our main signing. I want pace!

Benteke over Benzema is loltastic. Benzema is in a different league to Benteke.

• Advertisement

Raf32 wrote: »

agreed, don't like him either.
    I am always a bit cautious about getting players from Spanish clubs. I have the feeling that the way football is played at La Liga, it lucks the physicality of BPL. Obviously it doesn't happen always. And I would take Benzema if he was available.
    Premierleague experience would be a plus, but who's currently playing in an English club that would be good enough and available in the summer?

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I am always a bit cautious about getting players from Spanish clubs. I have the feeling that the way football is played at La Liga, it lucks the physicality of BPL. Obviously it doesn't happen always. And I would take Benzema if he was available.
    Premierleague experience would be a plus, but who's currently playing in an English club that would be good enough and available in the summer?

Benzema is fairly strong though. I reckon he'd hold his own. Dont forget some players came to England and adapted surprisingly well. David Silva being the most notable. Yaya Toure was less of a surprise considering his build.

He's not playing in England atm but Balotelli has PL experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Balotelli isn't good enough to be the main man for a top side. Surely you should aim higher? I know some will disagree but that's what I believe. He's no better than Giroud so what would be the point? Okay, he's pacier but pace isn't everything. And he's a difficult lad to manage. He made both Mancini and Mourinho pull their hair out.

Benzema or Balo would be the best bets. Boys check out Carlos Bacca from Seville if ye get a chance. Defo think he could be a special one, been watching him closely last few months.

Slight concern about his character (red cards etc.), if he has grown up he would be a good choice.
    I know that most people here want better than Balotelli or Benzema, but I don't think we will find many better choices in the summer.

• Advertisement

Slight concern about his character (red cards etc.), if he has grown up he would be a good choice.
    I know that most people here want better than Balotelli or Benzema, but I don't think we will find many better choices in the summer.

If we added one of them and a top winger with a bit of pace and then Bender/Schneiderlin, i think nobody could complain.

Kirby wrote: »
    Balotelli isn't good enough to be the main man for a top side. Surely you should aim higher? I know some will disagree but that's what I believe. He's no better than Giroud so what would be the point? Okay, he's pacier but pace isn't everything. And he's a difficult lad to manage. He made both Mancini and Mourinho pull their hair out.

Who would you suggest that is better than Balotelli that might be available? I think you're underrating his talent.

Diego Costa and Cavani are the only two that i can think of and they are highly improbable for Arsenal.

[edit] even if we take your point that he's no better than Giroud. He offers something significantly different to Giroud which would be a good thing for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

if anyone has any sympathy for Bayern this evening, let me just remind you of Manuel Neuer's reaction to drawing us in the last 16:

WnN849k.gif

not so f*cking smug now are ya Neuer! Hala Madrid :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Outside of Benzema or Balotelli our best bet is to get a Drmic type player before he turns into one of the best. His record in Germany at his age, with that team impresses me. May be best to use our 'marquee' signing money on a LW or DM instead if there's not much out there in terms of strikers. As long as we sign one striker at least of course.

AdamD wrote: »
    Outside of Benzema or Balotelli our best bet is to get a Drmic type player before he turns into one of the best. His record in Germany at his age, with that team impresses me. May be best to use our 'marquee' signing money on a LW or DM instead if there's not much out there in terms of strikers. As long as we sign one striker at least of course.

That's my other line of thinking. If there's no real strikers available, go big in midfield or on the wing.

• Advertisement

AdamD wrote: »

Jesus id love Drmic. He looks a ball of class. Terrible thing to say but hoping Nurnberg go down so we can get him on the cheap and please god we can get him. He is going to be a top player in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Can't help but feel Ozil is not a happy bunny tonight. FA Cup final is going to seem like small fry now to him Im afraid.

Very good discussion on Arsecast today regarding the lack of a top striker available in the summer and how we need to be realistic as to whats available. It was eye opening although it should be clear already that we will be buying potential/taking a chance as it looks like Costa is Chelsea bound leaving Cavani as the only top notch striker that may be available.

Can't help but feel Ozil is not a happy bunny tonight. FA Cup final is going to seem like small fry now to him Im afraid.

Very good discussion on Arsecast today regarding the lack of a top striker available in the summer and how we need to be realistic as to whats available. It was eye opening although it should be clear already that we will be buying potential/taking a chance as it looks like Costa is Chelsea bound leaving Cavani as the only top notch striker that may be available.

Real mightn't win it yet. And they were happy with the Spanish equivalent let us not forget. Im sure Ozil is happy to be where he is wanted and is under no illusions that Arsenal might be a project or a work in progress at present.

Hopefully next season he'll be joined by a few more red arrows.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    if anyone has any sympathy for Bayern this evening, let me just remind you of Manuel Neuer's reaction to drawing us in the last 16:

WnN849k.gif

Haha in fairness Bad2dabone he might just have won a bet guessing it would be Arsenal!! But I wouldn't give him the benefit of the doubt either:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Can't help but feel Ozil is not a happy bunny tonight. FA Cup final is going to seem like small fry now to him Im afraid

You also have to remember he was basically forced out of Madrid so I doubt he holds much love for them.

Anyway... Its well known that the FA Cup is the best trophy in europe.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    You also have to remember he was basically forced out of Madrid so I doubt he holds much love for them.

Anyway... Its well known that the FA Cup is the best trophy in europe.

Ya but not by the players and Ancellotti subsequently acknowledged it may have been a mistake! Only natural he would be envious in fairness. Nothing he can do now anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,123 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

bad2dabone wrote: »

WnN849k.gif

He should've done better for at least 2 of the goals tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I'd take bony or remy and go big on a left winger and Bender

A few directors like Beckenbauer meant to be unhappy with him. When that happens its never a good sign.

Could be for us if Wenger steps down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Could be for us if Wenger steps down!

I don't think I would want him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I do like Pep though but to be honest i felt that Bayern were a more direct under Heynckes. They are a bit too tippy-tappy under Guardiola. Traditionally German teams are counter attacking. Guardiola is of a different mindset. A few directors like Beckenbauer meant to be unhappy with him. When that happens its never a good sign.

I won't lie I'm delighted Bayern lost much prefered Bayern last season, tiki taka football whilst effective and impressive when done right with the right players is horrible football to watch imo.

Bayern last year played with pace and power and were a joy to watch Pep has ruined them from a neutrals point of view imo.

They took a bad beating tonight.

jonny666 wrote: »
    I don't think I would want him.

I certainly wouldn't want him. Never mind the fact I'm not a fan of his style of football.

He has yet to really challenge himself he took over a Barca team with Messi, Xavi, Iniesta etc already there then left them to take over the European Champions who well have declined since he took over imo.

Be interesting to see how he would do at a club like United where he has to re build without having a ready made team.

I'd take Pep in heart beat!!
    You're pretty much guaranteed success with him.

How so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

Not to take away from his success but he's twice inherited two of some of the best squads of recent times with huge financial backing and the ability to lure players. I wouldn't say its as simple as just pep rolling in and it guaranteeing success.

How so?

Barcelona B - Tercera División: 2007–08

Barcelona - La Liga: x3
    Copa del Rey: x2
    Supercopa: x3
    UEFA Champions League: x3
    UEFA Supercup: x2
    FIFA Club World Cup: x2

Bayern Munich - Bundesliga: x1
    UEFA Supercup: x1
    FIFA Club World Cup: x1

He also has a another cup final coming up. He's won a stupid amount of titles and has worked with some of the best players/coaches in the world. We'd be mad to turn him away.

Barcelona B - Tercera División: 2007–08

Barcelona - La Liga: x3
    Copa del Rey: x2
    Supercopa: x3
    UEFA Champions League: x3
    UEFA Supercup: x2
    FIFA Club World Cup: x2

Bayern Munich - Bundesliga: x1
    UEFA Supercup: x1
    FIFA Club World Cup: x1

He also has a another cup final coming up. He's won a stupid amount of titles and has worked with some of the best players/coaches in the world. We'd be mad to turn him away.

I like pep, but he's done that with the two greatest teams of the past ten years, yet to really challenge himself

klose wrote: »
    Not to take away from his success but he's twice inherited two of some of the best squads of recent times with huge financial backing and the ability to lure players. I wouldn't say its as simple as just pep rolling in and it guaranteeing success.

Plus there is a very big case for saying Bayern have gone backwards last year in the Champions League they steamrolled teams.

This year we had them on the back foot in the first leg until we went down to ten men, got a draw away from home. A United team who are struggling all season pushed them all the way and Real Madrid schooled them.

They may have won the Bundesliga easily this year but there only rivals are Dortmund who are no match financially and last year and this summer Bayern are taking there best players so it's not a great barometer really.

klose wrote: »

While its true that he did have a great team to work with he still had to get them to perform..

People seem to forget he changed Barcelona the second he took over. He sold the likes of Ronaldinho, Deco, Samuel Eto'o and started using Messi like know other manager did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Guuadiolas team got a hammering tonight but he is still a fantastic manager and I would love him to become the next Arsenal manager.

Hes a winner.

And Moyes inherited a title winning squad and look how that turned out.
    Bonkers to say you wouldn't want Pep imo.

And Moyes inherited a title winning squad and look how that turned out.
    Bonkers to say you wouldn't want Pep imo.

Bonkers to compare the team Moyes inherited to the ones Pep inherited imo.

I'd rather Wenger stay than Pep to come in.

Why though?
    What does Wenger offer that Pep does not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Keep hearing this a lot, they won the league last season by 11 points.

How bad exactly was that squad?

Why though?
    What does Wenger offer that Pep does not?

For the reasons I've already stated Bayern have declined under him not improved.

I don't think he would improve us and think he may struggle in the EPL taking on a team that is not the dominant force.
    Keep hearing this a lot, they won the league last season by 11 points.

How bad exactly was that squad?

Have you not looked at that squad? Ferguson performed miracles with it, even the majority of United fans knew for years there squad needed major surgery and will admit Ferguson left Moyes with an aging defence and a midfield seriously lacking in talent.

Up front is the only part of the pitch were United are strong.

• Advertisement

For the reasons I've already stated Bayern have declined under him not improved.

I don't think he would improve us and think he may struggle in the EPL taking on a team that is not the dominant force.

You make it sound like he went full moyes this season.
    He's won the Bundesliga and is is probably going to win the German cup. He also got to the semi finals of the Champions league.

Not to mention he done all this in his first year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

I would just see Benzema in an Henry type of mould where he could drag defenders everywhere with his pace.

He has nothing like the pace Henry had.

Like Van Persie of a few years ago, he spends most of his time outside the box.

I would still take him though, Suarez going the other way would be brillant.

I want someone with experience and a young mobile striker like Welbeck, Drmic,Aubameyang.

You make it sound like he went full moyes this season.
    He's won the Bundesliga and is is probably going to win the German cup. He also got to the semi finals of the Champions league.

Not to mention he done all this in his first year...

No never said he went full Moyes :pac: but they have declined this year ;) from there own impressive heights of last season true but a decline is a decline they have looked much weaker in Europe all season compared to last season.

Also carefully ignoring the fact I said I feel he could struggle in the EPL were he to take on a team that is not the dominant force, in both Germany and Spain he took over massively impressive squads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    Welbeck

I hope this is the first and last time his name will be mentioned in this thread - no thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I've also had to laugh at the reports that have linked Cleverley as a major target for Arsenal this summer.

The ludicrousness of this is two-foldd
    1. That he is considered to be a target at all
    2. That he is a major target.

Either Wenger has gone completely gaga in which case he can walk the plank this summer if he thinks he can get away with signing Tom Cleverley thank you very much, or the most likely scenairo, the news source is talking absolute horse manure and is trying to see how far they can go in ludicrous transfer news stories.

There must be a competition between the rag tops to outdo each other in stupidity.

Ozil one a couple of days was another one. Barcelona are cheeky ****s, but they're not that cheeky.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement