Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

greendom wrote: »
    When has he shown himself to be not good enough?

He is a good full back no doubt, but he is far from ideal to be a CB. Standing at 5ft 9 and not exactly well built, a towering physical presence you need. You can count on one hand the amount of times he has played CB for Arsenal even with terrible defensive injuries he was overlooked for CB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

What has he done to make you think he couldn't be an excellent centre-back?

What has he done to make you think he can? He's 31 played RB his whole career it's not that easy to adapt to a different position. ok as cover fine can do a job when called upon, but if you think moneybags City are going to sign a 31 yr old RB to play week in week out as a CB you're off your rocker.

Lescott can not even get his game at CB for City and he is head and shoulders a better CB then Sagna.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

What has he done to make you think he can? He's 31 played RB his whole career it's not that easy to adapt to a different position. ok as cover fine can do a job when called upon, but if you think moneybags City are going to sign a 31 yr old RB to play week in week out as a CB you're off your rocker.

Me and Bacary both then.....

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/sagna-i-see-my-future-in-the-centre

Edit, and Arsene...

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-sagna-can-shine-at-centre-back

Yet how many games has he played there since then?? For Arsenal or France?

Just because it's been said don't make it true.

Yet how many games has he played there since then?? For Arsenal or France?

Just because it's been said don't make it true.

Wenger has made him 4th choice CB this year so it's more than just talk.

I just think he's shown that he can adapt to the centre just as Maldini and Thuram did. His height has never stopped him winning the vast majority of headers and his positional awareness is very good. He's a brilliant defender and I think he'd be just as good as centre back as full back

I just think he's shown that he can adapt to the centre just as Maldini and Thuram did. His height has never stopped him winning the vast majority of headers and his positional awareness is very good. He's a brilliant defender and I think he'd be just as good as centre back as full back

Exactly 4th choice CB.

Like I said grand as cover when needed but not starting week in week out.

Also lets be honest Sagna while a great player isn't or never was at the level of Maldini or Thuram.

Exactly 4th choice CB.

Like I said grand as cover when needed but not starting week in week out.

Also lets be honest Sagna while a great player isn't or never was at the level of Maldini or Thuram.

It's difficult to be higher up the list when you're 1st choice FB and your back up is Jenkinson.

Not much point debating this any further. It's pretty clear wherever both stand.

It's difficult to be higher up the list when you're 1st choice FB and your back up is Jenkinson.

Not much point debating this any further. It's pretty clear wherever both stand.

Yea your delusional :p

• Advertisement

Ahh come on, his height has not stopped him winning headers at full back coz most of the wingers are the same size if not smaller then him :pac:

And he see's his "FUTURE" as a CB at the age of 31!!! :rolleyes:

Maldini was an utter legend with height and physical presence not to mention an out and out leader full of passion and eveyone around him had respect for him. Thats why he could play anywhere along the back. Thruam was another quality player with most of the same attributes. Sagna is not in the same league as either IMO.

I think we will agree to disagree.....

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Ahh come on, his height has not stopped him winning headers at full back coz most of the wingers are the same size if not smaller then him :pac:

And he see's his "FUTURE" as a CB at the age of 31!!! :rolleyes:

Maldini was an utter legend with height and physical presence not to mention an out and out leader full of passion and eveyone around him had respect for him. Thats why he could play anywhere along the back. Thruam was another quality player with most of the same attributes. Sagna is not in the same league as either IMO.

I think we will agree to disagree.....
    31 shouldn't be a problem. He could go on for another 4 or 5 years if he moves to the centre. Height shouldn't be a problem
    He's the same height has Costacurta.

I obviously have more belief in him than you do. As with Marty I'm not going to change your opinion or you mine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

He is well capable of playing there in my opinion but money bags man City are unlikely to pay 100k a week to convert a 31yr old into a new position when they could just buy one of the worlds best who already plays that position.

anyway I dont think Ms Sagna would like half as nice in Sky Blue so for that reason alone I hope he stays at the Emirates
    a-la-decouverte-de-la-ravissante-ludivine-kadri-sagna_110003.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I really don't want Sagna to leave. Jenkinson isn't good enough and I'm not convinced we will recruit an adequate replacement.

Seeing him move to City would be even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Mrs Sagna is a bit phwoar. However Bac is gone. If he was going to re-sign he would have done so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Mrs Sagna is a bit phwoar. However Bac is gone. If he was going to re-sign he would have done so.

Could be City bound!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2617883/Bacary-Sagna-hold-talks-Manchester-City-free-transfer-Arsenal.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I've given up on Sagna staying long ago. Love the player and he won't be easy to replace ,but, he is replaceable. With Mert's lack of pace we wouldn't be able to cope with a full back who's never in his own half, but the modern game demands full backs who can offer something in attack. We'll need someone with quality in both sides of his game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Get your Carl Jenkinson jerseys ready boys, we have our new right back :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

I hope Sagna stays. He's been one of my favourites over the past few years.
    If he leaves I would like to see Coleman as his replacement but I doubt that will happen, Wenger will probably settle for Jenkinson who is not ready yet.
    a-la-decouverte-de-la-ravissante-ludivine-kadri-sagna_110003.jpg

Quoted this because I like seeing it again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

He's definitely leaving but it's beyond stupid. For the first time in years our defence isn't our biggest weak point and is gelling together nicely and we decide to let pretty much the most experienced, consistent and arguably the fulcrum of that defence leave on a free transfer. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

He's definitely leaving but it's beyond stupid. For the first time in years our defence isn't our biggest weak point and is gelling together nicely and we decide to let pretty much the most experienced, consistent and arguably the fulcrum of that defence leave on a free transfer. Ridiculous.

Harsh to say we are letting him go, its been widely reported we have made him a very good offer to renew his contract.

Bring back Eboue :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

This is nonsense. We're not letting him leave. He's choosing to leave. I've no doubt we've offered very good terms.

It's all his decision now. I don't think you can blame the club if he goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

This is nonsense. We're not letting him leave. He's choosing to leave. I've no doubt we've offered very good terms.

It's all his decision now. I don't think you can blame the club if he goes.

Sorry to see him go, but he is replaceable, like all players. So long as we get the right one, not Jenkinson....he not good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

If he goes then fcuk it. He fulfilled his contract. Cant ask anymore than that from a player these days.

His bird is only unreal though. She'll be missed.

As for replacing him, I would like to see a hatchet Argentine or murderous Italian.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Good luck to Sagna if he goes (unless he goes to City!). Been a great servant.

I am worried that Jenkinson is gonna be first choice right back next season though. I like him but Im not convinced hes ready yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

shano_88 wrote: »
    I am worried that Jenkinson is gonna be first choice right back next season though. I like him but Im not convinced hes ready yet.

He shouldn't be anywhere near the starting 11 imo

Dont think Micah Ricards is ready either TBH, hasnt played much football for the least few seasons and he can be very rash. Would love to see Coleman in there but its not gonna happen. No doubt Jenko will be pushed in there and we will sign some 17yr old french kid as back up :rolleyes:

We are desperate for a wing back that can accurately cross a ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

There's no reason why we shouldnt persue Coleman. He'd be pricey but what a signing.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Dont think Micah Ricards is ready either TBH, hasnt played much football for the least few seasons and he can be very rash. Would love to see Coleman in there but its not gonna happen. No doubt Jenko will be pushed in there and we will sign some 17yr old french kid as back up :rolleyes:

We are desperate for a wing back that can accurately cross a ball.

Tbh thats Jenkos only thing he is good at :pac:

• Advertisement

I think people have a very short memory last year when Sagna was desperate short on form and injuries Jenkinson stepped in and was very impressive so much so there were a lot of people calling for Jenks to keep His spot in the starting eleven over Sagna.

He's better than a lot of people in here give him credit for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Woohoo, we've won another trophy

keano_afc wrote: »
    There's no reason why we shouldnt persue Coleman. He'd be pricey but what a signing.

Well if we can move on the players getting paid for being injured and some dead wood we could buy a quality wing back and maybe another player without using the war chest we have.

Diaby, Arteta, Rosiky (YES, I said it), Fabianski, Djourou (Loan), Joel Campbell (Loan), Bendtner.

How much is there without spending a penny....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I'd be happy with Aurier to be honest. He's not world class yet but I think he will be in a couple of years.

fea80bfbdc644ed83c5b7e29a8b1f1d9.gif?1395082590

He's great going forward (5 goals and 6 assists this season) and big and strong enough to play CB too. He seems to have all the attributes to be a top RB.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,413 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Lescott on a bosman as 4th choice CB. Discuss. :pac:

Mickeroo wrote: »

Maybe 3rd choice ahead of Vermaelen. On a free would be good business but maybe give a younger lad a chance instead of investing (Wages) in older players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Take him and Schmeichel on free transfers, Auerier for €12m, Greissmann for €25m and use the other €63m of the "war chest" on a striker (Cavani, Falcao) and we will be happy enough with the summers business !

wawaman wrote: »
    Take him and Schmeichel on free transfers, Auerier for €12m, Greissmann for €25m and use the other €63m of the "war chest" on a striker (Cavani, Falcao) and we will be happy enough with the summers business !

Bender for 20 and the rest on the striker and id be delighted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

From that Goal.com article would ye be happy with 80 million going on Bender, Draxler and Remy?

• Advertisement

dvemail wrote: »
    From that Goal.com article would ye be happy with 80 million going on Bender, Draxler and Remy?

Yup definitely. Think might prefer Griezmann instead of Drax though, but them 3 would really lift us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

If we spend more than 50m net of transfers I'll be shocked. Given that we'll need a back up CB and a new RB the funds for LW/DM/ST won't be that great I don't think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

AdamD wrote: »
    If we spend more than 50m net of transfers I'll be shocked. Given that we'll need a back up CB and a new RB the funds for LW/DM/ST won't be that great I don't think.

Yeah same here. Last summer was supposedly a breakthrough year for us but i don't think we spent over 50 million when all was said and done an that's including 42.5 for Ozil.

Perfect summer for me is:

Keep Fabianski, Sagna and Vermaelen.

Sign:
    Lars Bender (20 million)
    Griezmann (25 million)
    Benzema /Balo (30 million)
    Drmic/ Remy (10 million)
    Aurier (10 million)

Bring Joel Campbell back and get rid of the rest that are out on loan. Loan out Yaya and Jenko.

AdamD wrote: »

If we end up spending £8m on Aurier or Jung to replace Sagna then pick up Lescott on a free would people be happy with that?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,413 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

shano_88 wrote: »
    If we end up spending £8m on Aurier or Jung to replace Sagna then pick up Lescott on a free would people be happy with that?

Assuming verm doesn't leave that would be perfect in my eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Lescott is a fine defender, can play LB too.

Assuming verm doesn't leave that would be perfect in my eyes.

Ya, Im assuming Vermaelen stays aswell.

Falcao will be playing at the emirates in august!!!

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/20140501/emirates-cup-2014-line-up-confirmed

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I like that lineup, should be good games.

Emirates Divisional Vice President. That's a bit of a climb down for the former UN Secretary General !

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement