Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

Raf32 wrote: »
    Falcao will be playing at the emirates in august!!!

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/20140501/emirates-cup-2014-line-up-confirmed

:pac:

ahh here, got my hopes up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Decent line-up. And I know it's all a money making thing but it's a good chance to see some clubs you'd find hard to see otherwise. Like a few years back Boca Juniors were over, same year as NY Red Bulls and PSG - my first year of it.

You also get to get some decent seats :)

988695_3350708222076_943965621_n.jpg?oh=77f974ad21fd064b310bfcb1e7939daf&oe=53E34F83&__gda__=1405267094_25bad60dc806050247dfd87661006eb5

527002_3350709742114_711842297_n.jpg

971028_3350710582135_820281089_n.jpg

1148958_3350711822166_161683424_n.jpg

1003503_3350713022196_1034116579_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

I'd welcome him back with open arms!
    And at €4M we'd be stupid not to try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,413 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Was nice while it lasted eh? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

That's completely disingenious considering the following-

Fabianski is going-No way he'll agree to play second fiddle when he can get a starting berth elsewhere

Sagna looks like he's on his way out, so that's another

Then if Vermaelen goes, he certainly needs to be replaced too. So that's more than 3 already.
    We need a DM, Striker, need rb that could cover for cb potentially and a backup Gk... that's 4 signings at least.

If there's any dawdlings like there way last transfer window l then the fans will not be as forgiving . It's been proven that we need more depth and 2-3 or isn't going to cut it if we're to provide that depth. 4-5 yes.

I'd also read from that article that Wenger will not be willing to sell any players, so that means Podolski is staying, and Giroud also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Not sure what the panic is about or did ye read all the article:

“It will be busy, but the main thing for us will be to keep the stability because we feel we are close. We want to add something that makes us even stronger, but, number wise, it will not be massive"

If those three players are a striker, defensive midfielder and another attacker I would be very happy. Where does he rule out a 'spectacular signing'

Bear in mind we have a limit on our squad size as some people always seem to forget.

We have to add Diaby, Wilshere, Walcott to the 3 or so other signings we make remember.

Some people here no more than the Sagna situation are quick to panic when they see some headlines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

What i take from that is that maybe some of the players we thought were off aren't leaving.
    Could be wishful thinking though on my part.

• Advertisement

keano_afc wrote: »

So long as these '3 or 4' players are of considerable quality (as good as what we have) then fair enough but ive a feeling they are replacements for Sagna, Fabianski and Vermaelen and maybe not even good ones at that.

Same old story i reckon. Living like paupers again.

Not sure what the panic is about or did ye read all the article:

“It will be busy, but the main thing for us will be to keep the stability because we feel we are close. We want to add something that makes us even stronger, but, number wise, it will not be massive"

If those three players are a striker, defensive midfielder and another attacker I would be very happy. Where does he rule out a 'spectacular signing'

Bear in mind we have a limit on our squad size as some people always seem to forget.

We have to add Diaby, Wilshere, Walcott to the 3 or so other signings we make remember.

Some people here no more than the Sagna situation are quick to panic when they see some headlines.

Is Diaby not out of contract the end of this season? Wilshere needs to really push on next season and Theo might struggle to get back to match fitness with that injury. Hoping for a Chamberlain like comeback from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

So angry about AFC's summer business.... On May 3rd of the previous season.. fuming.... cause AW should disclose all plans in his presser..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

When has Wenger ever told the truth about transfer signings?

The bit of the press conference I'm mostly interested in

“We might have someone available that you don’t expect to be available. "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

So long as these '3 or 4' players are of considerable quality (as good as what we have) then fair enough but ive a feeling they are replacements for Sagna, Fabianski and Vermaelen and maybe not even good ones at that.

Same old story i reckon. Living like paupers again.

Exactly, having offered big money for players like Bender and Draxler, we're actually going to totally ignore those positions and sign a couple of back up defenders.

I really think you're seeing what you want to (or are conditioned by the past to) see.

That article means nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,507 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...is-summer.html

Wenger is either playing cagey or totally delusional. I think its the former in this case. I think he's playing his cards close to his chest but time will tell.
    Either way if this sentence is true and he really believes this -

"It will be busy, but the main thing for us will be to keep the stability because we feel we are close"

then I would have serious fears.

We are not close. We lost our away games to the teams around us (Top 6) at the top by 6-3, 5-1, 6-0, 3-0 and 1-0. These results knocked the stuffing out of the team and also the fans and have to be addressed.

No way are we close. Plus we have to address the psychological issues around playing these top teams and also the recurring injury crisis around the team.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...is-summer.html

Wenger is either playing cagey or totally delusional. I think its the former in this case. I think he's playing his cards close to his chest but time will tell.
    Either way if this sentence is true and he really believes this -

"It will be busy, but the main thing for us will be to keep the stability because we feel we are close"

then I would have serious fears.

We are not close. We lost our away games to the teams around us (Top 6) at the top by 6-3, 5-1, 6-0, 3-0 and 1-0. These results knocked the stuffing out of the team and also the fans and have to be addressed.

No way are we close. Plus we have to address the psychological issues around playing these top teams and also the recurring injury crisis around the team.

On the other hand 6/7 points off first is close.

gosplan wrote: »

chelsea and city gonna be way better again next year, united will be back.

• Advertisement

chelsea and city gonna be way better again next year, united will be back.

What's to say we can't be better next year too?

What's to say we can't be better next year too?

if we sign the right players we will be.

I remember that horse I backed in the Grand National. He led but fell at the second last fence.
    That's not close enough.

if we sign the right players we will be.

Even if we don't I think we will be better

But signing the right players could see is win the league

this is the make or break window for the club. dont act now and we wont be seeing the title for another 10 years. Too many upcoming teams along with the top ones. Keep all our players and add a striker, a winger and a dm are essential. anything less and it will be the same old.

Even if we don't I think we will be better

But signing the right players could see is win the league

I dont want to be 3 points better, we all want to win the league and we know we need three quality starters brought in, as well as keeping the rest of the squad together. If we are left with one marquee signing and then a Sanogo and a flamini, ill be pretty gutted. Has to get the quality in now.

• Advertisement

I remember that horse I backed in the Grand National. He led but fell at the second last fence.
    That's not close enough.

What the hell do you want though.

If City and we win our remaining games, then they'll win with the exact average premiership winning and we'll be seven points off them (I think).

Stay ahead on the opening day vrs villa, don't concede quickly to Everton after scoring and don't concede that late Flamini OG in that Tuesday night game and we finish on 86, which is the exact PL winning average.

If you want to moan then go ahead but you're being unrealistic.

Next year doesn't matter. We were 2/3 results off winning and Wenger said 'we feel we were close'.

He's right, they were. All the weakness you seem to love pointing out are true but it doesn't change the fact we came close and a bit more quality in a few key games would have seen us at the top.

That's not close enough.

Which makes no sense regarding your original point.

And you shouldn't gamble

What was he on about????

What was he on about????

Thats very interesting. Benzema?

Thats very interesting. Benzema?

Would say it could be somebody we haven't heard being mentioned yet.

• Advertisement

It reminded me of the "we could Suprise you" statement

I really think we will sign Mandzukic and be complaining this time next year about no pace up top.

If Cavani is available and United could get him, why cant we throw 50-60 million and sign him? immediately makes us the best team in the league.

What the hell do you want though.

If City and we win our remaining games, then they'll win with the exact average premiership winning and we'll be seven points off them (I think).

Stay ahead on the opening day vrs villa, don't concede quickly to Everton after scoring and don't concede that late Flamini OG in that Tuesday night game and we finish on 86, which is the exact PL winning average.

If you want to moan then go ahead but you're being unrealistic.

Next year doesn't matter. We were 2/3 results off winning and Wenger said 'we feel we were close'.

He's right, they were. All the weakness you seem to love pointing out are true but it doesn't change the fact we came close and a bit more quality in a few key games would have seen us at the top.

Maybe we were closer because the teams at the bottom that we beat were worse than last years teams when playing us. Our results against the top teams were not very good and these are the teams we are supposed to be challenging for the title.

You and Wenger can think we were close but I think there is a big gap.
    I know you get zero points for losing 6-0 or 1-0 but surely the 6-0 tells a lot.

Diaby? Fabregas?

16 years ago today, goosebumps

Ooooooh but I do love a little bit of mystery.

Diaby? Fabregas?

I think cesc

Don't know if ye heard but there will be a protest before the match tomorrow about the increase in ticket prices.
    Hope the negative feelings won't spill into the final home game of the season from the fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Vela at 4m sounds like a no brainer for me.

5cd578adabe828c5807cf6d2cbf367ad.png

And I don't buy this he can't play in the PL tosh. He was 21 when he left Arsenal, hes 25 now and undoubtedly a better player. Cazorla only came here at 27, doubt he would have done all that well when he was 21. Plus he covers striker and winger.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Maybe we were closer because the teams at the bottom that we beat were worse than last years teams when playing us. Our results against the top teams were not very good and these are the teams we are supposed to be challenging for the title.

That still doesn't make sense, because our record against the bottom 13 is the best in the league, and so we've still been better than anyone else at beating them. After all, you get the same amount of points for each game.

Have to do better in the away games against the top teams of course but it's not a million miles away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭lertsnim

16 years ago today, goosebumps

I remember I was in Sligo for the all Ireland squash. The manager in the bar asked me if I could keep the noise down. Good times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Poor Spuds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

You'd hope the silly "2-3 players" statement is just tosh. I hope at this stage he has his targets lined up and has instructed those in the 24 hour transfer team what's needed.

The reality is probably the complete opposite though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

keano_afc wrote: »
    You'd hope the silly "2-3 players" statement is just tosh. I hope at this stage he has his targets lined up and has instructed those in the 24 hour transfer team what's needed.

The reality is probably the complete opposite though.

I don't think we need a massive overhaul, but we need some key players. Need a back up for Mert, a new winger for Sagna, an extra striker to help Giroud, and whoever for our annual injury crises.

That still doesn't make sense, because our record against the bottom 13 is the best in the league, and so we've still been better than anyone else at beating them. After all, you get the same amount of points for each game.

Have to do better in the away games against the top teams of course but it's not a million miles away.

It is very very far away.

• Arsenal have lost all of their Premier League away games against the other top five by at least three goals this season
    • They were beaten 6-3 at Manchester City on 14 December, 5-1 at Liverpool on 8 February and 6-0 at Chelsea on 22 March, before losing 3-0 at Everton
    • Those four defeats account for 20 of the 40 league goals Arsenal have conceded this term.

That to me is a world away from being champions.
    No good hammering the teams at the bottom and then getting hammered against the teams at the top. We are fragile at best and the statistics above don't lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

You could blame those losses on our weakened squad though, bar the United game, that was a weird one, and the City game could of been a different story.

edit: Sorry i forgot United are not top 5 for second.

You and Wenger can think we were close but I think there is a big gap.
    I know you get zero points for losing 6-0 or 1-0 but surely the 6-0 tells a lot.

At the end of the season it will be like this ... And there's no discussion to be had, this is the reality.

Arsenal: led for ages but did poorly in matches against the top five. Close but ultimately not good enough to be champions.

Chelsea: great for long spells but not enough attacking threat in games against teams that parked the bus. Close but no cigar

City and Pool inseparable really. Attacking masterclass wins out.

• Advertisement

You could blame those losses on our weakened squad though, bar the United game, that was a weird one, and the City game could of been a different story.

We can blame them on anything we like but it still wouldn't remove them from the records. They happened.
    And as you say we took one point from the worst United team in EPL history and failed to score against them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement