Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

We can blame them on anything we like but it still wouldn't remove them from the records. They happened.
    And as you say we took one point from the worst United team in EPL history and failed to score against them.

True, but i dont think we are far off, again comes down to strengthening rather than replacing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

gosplan wrote: »
    At the end of the season it will be like this ... And there's no discussion to be had, this is the reality.

Arsenal: led for ages but did poorly in matches against the top five. Close but ultimately not good enough to be champions.

Chelsea: great for long spells but not enough attacking threat in games against teams that parked the bus. Close but no cigar

City and Pool inseparable really. Attacking masterclass wins out.
    Also Liverpool benefited from playing fewer fixtures than their rivals and had fewer injuries to deall with. City suffered almost as badly as we did to injuries to key players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,507 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

True, but i dont think we are far off, again comes down to strengthening rather than replacing.

That's my point. We didn't replace Walcott when injured which was criminal plus we were set up all wrong in some of those away games regardless of injuries. One dimensional.
    What we need most is a leader on the field, a big strong DM who is not afraid to give a tongue-lashing when needed. We also need to strengthen as we have a poor injury record over the years and no sign of it stopping either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

It is very very far away.

• Arsenal have lost all of their Premier League away games against the other top five by at least three goals this season
    • They were beaten 6-3 at Manchester City on 14 December, 5-1 at Liverpool on 8 February and 6-0 at Chelsea on 22 March, before losing 3-0 at Everton
    • Those four defeats account for 20 of the 40 league goals Arsenal have conceded this term.

That to me is a world away from being champions.
    No good hammering the teams at the bottom and then getting hammered against the teams at the top. We are fragile at best and the statistics above don't lie.

You're pointing that out in every third post at this stage.

I think we're aware of the poor away results tbh.

But, we were unbeaten at home against the same teams. We eat Liverpool 2 out of 3 times we played them.

Turn two of those away losses, City and Pool, into victories and we're champions.

There are clear areas to work on.

You're carrying in like we're 7th.

Admitt there are parts of the league that we've done better than anyone. Admitt that it's some rubbish mental block against the teams and that we're actually very good.

This Arsenal needs tweaking. A few sensible additions. That was Wenger's original point when he said we were close.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,413 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

We picked up 2 more points away from home against the top 5 than Liverpool did.

• Advertisement

You're pointing that out in every third post at this stage.

I think we're aware of the poor away results tbh.

But, we were unbeaten at home against the same teams. We eat Liverpool 2 out of 3 times we played them.

Turn two of those away losses, City and Pool, into victories and we're champions.

There are clear areas to work on.

You're carrying in like we're 7th.

Admitt there are parts of the league that we've done better than anyone. Admitt that it's some rubbish mental block against the teams and that we're actually very good.

This Arsenal needs tweaking. A few sensible additions. That was Wenger's original point when he said we were close.

There's only one "t" in admit.

Wenger knows we're not close but he obviously can't say that as it reflects badly on him and his tactical know-how. Anyone who watched us play those away games where we were hammered knows this. Unless we strengthen and do something about the continuing injury crisis we haven't a chance of winning the EPL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Mickeroo wrote: »
    We picked up 2 more points away from home against the top 5 than Liverpool did.

We didnt? We lost to everyone in the top 5 and they lost to all them but got a point at Everton. We both beat spurs away and then we lost at United, while they won.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,413 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Raf32 wrote: »
    We didnt? We lost to everyone in the top 5 and they lost to all them but got a point at Everton. We both beat spurs away and then we lost at United, while they won.

They lost to us.

They lost to us.

and we lost to them so we both got 0 points away from home from a game each.

Raf32 wrote: »
    and we lost to them so we both got 0 points away from home from a game each.

They got 1 point away in 4 games,we got 3 is what I'm saying. I'm just trying to point out if we took our chances in our home games we really weren't far off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

They got 1 point away in 4 games,we got 3 is what I'm saying. I'm just trying to point out if we took our chances in our home games we really weren't far off.

We didn't though. We got none: lost to Everton, Liverpool, City and Chelsea away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

We didn't though. We got none: lost to Everton, Liverpool, City and Chelsea away.

Ugh I'm a moron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

"Oops sorry let me get out of your way, how rude of me."

Ugh I'm a moron.

haha we all do it :pac:

There's only one "t" in admit.

Wenger knows we're not close but he obviously can't say that as it reflects badly on him and his tactical know-how. Anyone who watched us play those away games where we were hammered knows this. Unless we strengthen and do something about the continuing injury crisis we haven't a chance of winning the EPL.

You're basically saying we're miles away because we have faults. I agree with you but you're forgetting that other teams also have faults and in a championship race, those faults compensate for ours somewhat.

How many more points to you think we could get? How many more points do you think it would need?

Guten tag, mein freundes

Eintracht

Bayer -2

Nürnberg

Hannover 96
    One out of two. Looks like Bayer Leverkusen have Champions League wrapped up.

Guten tag, mein freundes

Eintracht

Bayer -2

Nürnberg

Hannover 96

Das ist nicht so schlect! :pac:

You're basically saying we're miles away because we have faults. I agree with you but you're forgetting that other teams also have faults and in a championship race, those faults compensate for ours somewhat.

How many more points to you think we could get? How many more points do you think it would need?

A winning points total depends on how you do against the bottom teams, the middle teams AND the top teams. Some posters seem to think that if we beat the other teams we can afford to lose to the top teams.
    It also depends on how we are set up against teams we are playing away. There are some we can attack and some we would be better off being set up defensively against.
    It is true to say that all teams have faults but those who make the least mistakes eventually win. What I do know is that being hammered has a very negative effect in future games as against being beaten one nil.
    Points totals vary from season to season and i'm not really interested in how many we get as long as we win.

A winning points total depends on how you do against the bottom teams, the middle teams AND the top teams. Some posters seem to think that if we beat the other teams we can afford to lose to the top teams.
    It also depends on how we are set up against teams we are playing away. There are some we can attack and some we would be better off being set up defensively against.
    It is true to say that all teams have faults but those who make the least mistakes eventually win. What I do know is that being hammered has a very negative effect in future games as against being beaten one nil.
    Points totals vary from season to season and i'm not really interested in how many we get as long as we win.

No, nobody would disagree with what you're saying.

Personally, I think next season in tough away games, we should just focus on not conceding for the first half instead of going for broke from the kick off.

• Advertisement

Guten tag, mein freundes

Eintracht

Bayer -2

Nürnberg

Hannover 96

So this means we're defo signing who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

So this means we're defo signing who?

Drmic getting relegated I think

He's apparently sold his left hand car so that means he's DEFINTELY going to sign for Arsenal.

AdamD wrote: »
    Drmic getting relegated I think

He'll definitely go somewhere. The kid is shít-hot. Hope its too us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The original story was that he has a tiny release clause of like €3m if they get relegated, but Arsenal agreed to pay 5/6m regardless, getting an agreement in early, and Nurnberg took it. If that ends up being true I'll be happy about how we went about that.

This will sound bitter: BUT MY GOD, is there anything worse than watching Ashley Young play football nowadays having seen how well he played in the 8-2, been terrible since. And has Rooney scored a FK since that day? Really was a freakshow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Arsenal being decisive and early in the transfer market?

He's apparently sold his left hand car so that means he's DEFINTELY going to sign for Arsenal.

So long as he didn't go and buy a new left hand one that is ;)

So long as he didn't go and buy a new left hand one that is ;)

We need a Drmic Car Watch.

We need a Drmic Car Watch.

16.58 Drmic spotted walking with a copy of the UK Autotrader magazine under his arm.

• Advertisement

He's surely going to be going back home occasionally, and will be hanging onto a left hand car in Switzerland? With a footballer's wealth it'd strike me as a little odd if he didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,123 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

He's surely going to be going back home occasionally, and will be hanging onto a left hand car in Switzerland? With a footballer's wealth it'd strike me as a little odd if he didn't.

Why hold onto a car when you can just get a rental for the rare occasion you'd actually be home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

Sunderland's first win at Old Trafford since 1968 according to the BBC! :pac:

DenMan wrote: »
    Sunderland's first win at Old Trafford since 1968 according to the BBC! :pac:

Oh yep. It was all Moyes fault. Now that he is gone it will be business resumed immediately :pac:

Quazzie wrote: »
    Why hold onto a car when you can just get a rental for the rare occasion you'd actually be home

Because you've got around 50k per week coming in (or will at Arsenal, I doubt he gets that now) and you don't need the money from selling it.

As it stands we have nothing to play for tomorrow. City beating Everton. That could change of course though.

• Advertisement

3-1 now. Champions league (Qualifying round 4 at least) here we come. :)

Bring out the kids for the next two games!

And Happy Arsenal Trophy Day!

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Akpom / Sanogo to start would think. Jenkinson will play. Wonder have we anybody that can fill in for either Mertesacker or Kos?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Was just about to post but lets not get ahead of ourselves now :pac:

Hopefully Sanogo will get a goal in one of the last games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

4th place secured with 2 games to go? What kind of sorcery is this?

Edit: maybe...

• Advertisement

I spoke too soon. No doubt the red half of Anfield Merseyside will be interested now. A repeat of Liverpool v Newcastle from 1996 perhaps with Everton in the 'liverpool role' ?

Very peculiar atmosphere at Goodison Park.
    The crowd want their team to win but don't want Liverpool winning the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

I spoke too soon. No doubt the red half of Anfield will be interested now. A repeat of Liverpool v Newcastle from 1996 perhaps with Everton in the 'liverpool role' ?

What colour is the other half of anfield ;)

dobsdave wrote: »
    What colour is the other half of anfield ;)

Meant to say Merseyside :D

Very peculiar atmosphere at Goodison Park.
    The crowd want their team to win but don't want Liverpool winning the league.

To be honest as a supporter id be hoping that my club looked after their own interests first even if that meant the local rivals won something as a result.

On another note. A city win might shut the door further on Jose sneaking in. Dont want that detestable man to win anything.

Champions league....We're avin a laugh! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

Back to the top of the table! Well done Manchester City and as an Arsenal fan thank you! Champions League football secured for next season! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

4th placed trophy secured once again! And with two games to spare and all, how are we going to live without the stress?

4th placed trophy secured once again! And with two games to spare and all, how are we going to live without the stress?

By watching Yaya Sanogo give an absolute Tour de force next week laying down a marker for next season :p

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement