Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I can handle losing away games against the big teams, it's the way we lost them this season that was the real problem.
    Yeah those capitulations really hurt, took me a good week to get over the Liverpool and Chelsea defeats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

They should of had a fella with his finger on a bleeper button.

Twud have been like he was sending morse code :D

• Advertisement

Looks like Bac is gone for sure, but Serge Aurier is heavily rumoured to be coming in. And he’s a gooner too. Statistically the 4th best player in the French league according to WhoScored.com and definitely an exciting talent. Hopefully this gets done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Looks like Bac is gone for sure, but Serge Aurier is heavily rumoured to be coming in. And he’s a gooner too. Statistically the 4th best player in the French league according to WhoScored.com and definitely an exciting talent. Hopefully this gets done.

He's only like 21 too. Downside is that he's from Ivory Coast so will piss off for a month for the African Cup of nations.

I made a balls of trying to make this point at the weekend,:pac: but Liverpool's away form wasn't much better than ours against the big teams. I think turning those home draws into wins would be a big step forward next year provided we keep doing the business against the smaller teams.

I can handle losing away games against the big teams, it's the way we lost them this season that was the real problem.

Hadn't got around to asking you again.
    Are you still happy that Wenger will be manager next season by the looks of it and on the back of those results?
    I'm not taking into account of the potential for a cup trophy, but I still think he needs to win this to justify him staying in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

WE'RE GOING TO WEMBLEY!!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,413 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Hadn't got around to asking you again.
    Are you still happy that Wenger will be manager next season by the looks of it and on the back of those results?
    I'm not taking into account of the potential for a cup trophy, but I still think he needs to win this to justify him staying in my opinion.

I've accepted he'll be staying now so I'm ok with it. Part of me thinks it's time for a change part of me thinks he should be given a chance to spend the money that's available. Basically I change my mind constantly depending on how the team are doing at a given time.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,413 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    WE'RE GOING TO WEMBLEY!!

Sagna & Verm singing like men who won't be here next season :pac:

I love wenger, but can see his flaws – like most of us can.
    If he stays then I’ll be ok with it, when he leaves I’ll be sad but looking forward to a new guy being able to build on the foundations laid out by wenger, our greatest ever manager (apart from Herbert Chapman who was a visionary who improved the game as a whole)

Sagna & Verm singing like men who won't be here next season :pac:

That was singing!! :eek: :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Saw this on the United thread. Apparently Barca are offering Alex Song to United.

http://www.footballdirectnews.com/premier-league-news/48505-barcelona-offer-midfielder-to-man-united.php

gandalf wrote: »
    Saw this on the United thread. Apparently Barca are offering Alex Song to United.

http://www.footballdirectnews.com/premier-league-news/48505-barcelona-offer-midfielder-to-man-united.php

What kind of game time has he gotten at Barca this season? Haven't been watching him.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    What kind of game time has he gotten at Barca this season? Haven't been watching him.

Very little.. He started only 12 games in La Liga.

Wants Fab, get's Song.

Has Moyes actually left?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Gus99

No worse than the language out of most people when forced to listen to Michael Owen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

gandalf wrote: »

United can have him was never good enough for Arsenal or Barcelona imo, was shocked when they moved for him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

bad2dabone wrote: »
    I love wenger, but can see his flaws – like most of us can.
    If he stays then I’ll be ok with it, when he leaves I’ll be sad but looking forward to a new guy being able to build on the foundations laid out by wenger, our greatest ever manager (apart from Herbert Chapman who was a visionary who improved the game as a whole)

What was he responsible for? Non-gunner here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

United can have him was never good enough for Arsenal or Barcelona imo, was shocked when they moved for him

Was surprised alright
    Got a few nice assists for VanPersie in his final season, that was about it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Sheepy99 wrote: »

Wouldn't say he's solely responsible, but he had a big part in floodlights, European games, numbered shirts, and he invented the dominant formation of the 30s.

I have a feeling he was big into player fitness too.

just the blurb from his Biography:
    Herbert Chapman was the first manager to make himself responsible for team selection, tactics, buying and selling players, and improving medical treatment for injured players. He was the first to fly his teams to matches abroad and introduced the use of floodlighting for evening games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Chapman was also responsible for changing Gillespie Road Underground Station to Arsenal.

He had turned Huddersfield into a great team and it was a shock at the time Arsenal managed to get him.

Quazzie wrote: »
    No they didn't. At least 10 league appearances are required to qualify for a league medal. I doubt any of them did.

Apparently cos they were in matchday squads on the day we won the league, they got medals. Not 100% sure on that but have heard it been said.

Edit: Maybe Inamoto didn't ha ha - look on his face :pac:

gun__1370342204_inamoto_trophy.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Was surprised alright
    Got a few nice assists for VanPersie in his final season, that was about it though.

He did get a nice few assists and to be honest it was them assists that I think skewed some people's views on him.

As a DM he was woeful he could be good in some games when he really tried but tactically and motivational wise he was always lacking.

Far to often caught out of position and times when he was instead of busting a gut to get back he was often seen casually jogging back whilst an opposition team were full steam ahead on attack.

He used to infuriate me to be honest :o because in the odd game when he actually got stuck in and done his job instead of wandering up the pitch he looked like he could be a player sadly them games were few and far between.

Anyway enough Song talk he won't be coming back here gladly and if United do take him I'm sure he wont be solving there midfield problems either.

Also lets not forget since were talking about Chapman for all the stick Wenger gets these days from various sources he really did revolutionise the EPL himself when he first arrived and that will always be his legacy imo regardless of what happens this summer or the next imo.

Here's a nice video that's set to an extract from Arseblog's new book about the unbeaten season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Ok preferences goes to members and members will get subsidised beer but finger food for all.

All Arsenal fans welcome it will be packed so get in early

FACupfinal_zps065b3fc0.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,121 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Maire2009 wrote: »
    Apparently cos they were in matchday squads on the day we won the league, they got medals. Not 100% sure on that but have heard it been said.

Edit: Maybe Inamoto didn't ha ha - look on his face :pac:

gun__1370342204_inamoto_trophy.jpg

The reason I thought it true about the ten appearances was based on the prank played on Keown when he was coming on for a much needed appearance as a substitute. On my phone now so I can't link to a video of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

For me, the screw up this season was United. We should have gotten at least four from them.

Was it Swansea we conceded a late equalizer against? That didnt help either.

If we can keep who we want and add to the squad over the summer we'll be involved a lot longer next season.

Quazzie wrote: »
    The reason I thought it true about the ten appearances was based on the prank played on Keown when he was coming on for a much needed appearance as a substitute. On my phone now so I can't link to a video of it.

You are right - you have to make so many appearances to get a medal. Jeff Kenna was on MNS last night and said he played 9 for Blackburn (came to them near the end of the season) and the club had to specially apply for him to get one.

But I have heard of players getting medals for odd reasons - Man Utd fans reckon Bebe got one and noway he played 10 for them.

Didnt Arsene bring on Stuart Taylor for a game near the end of a title winning season to give him his 10th appearence in order for him to get a medal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Apparently Cesc was on Spanish radio and said that he would consider a return to Arsenal if it was in the offing. He says that he misses the fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

greendom wrote: »
    Apparently Cesc was on Spanish radio and said that he would consider a return to Arsenal if it was in the offing. He says that he misses the fans.

Where did ya hear this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭Ging Ging

Where did ya hear this

On very scratchy medium wave.

• Advertisement

With Meyler stamping on Januzaj there's a good chance he could be banned from the final.
    Also Elmohamady also limped off and he's been a huge player for them.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    With Meyler stamping on Januzaj there's a good chance he could be banned from the final.
    Also Elmohamady also limped off and he's been a huge player for them.

Aren't Long Jelavic cup tied too?

Aren't Long Jelavic cup tied too?

Ya but Paul McShane could be back from injury so I'm not counting any chickens yet :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

greendom wrote: »

Bull****.....would much prefer a DM that can TACKLE and Pass the ball. We already have Ramsey and Wilshere dont need Fabregas coming back clicking his heels and thinking all is well in Oz. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Bull****.....would much prefer a DM that can TACKLE and Pass the ball. We already have Ramsey and Wilshere dont need Fabregas coming back clicking his heels and thinking all is well in Oz. :rolleyes:

One thing this season has taught is that you can't have enough quality players. If we had Fabregas, Wilshere and Ramsey this season, I'm sure we wouldn't have suffered that slump which cost us the league.

• Advertisement

Anyone who doesn't want Cesc, jus look at our injury list during the season. Look how many times we've had to play Arteta and Flamini together.
    He'd improve any side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I'd take Cesc back in a heartbeat!!! As everyone else has said you need a big squad to challenge properly in all the competitions that we will be involved in next year. Plus if he does leave Barca he could end up at Man United which would be heartbreaking!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

United don't even have Europa league next year, hardly worried Cesc would go to them.

He'd never wear a Utd jersey.

Its Barca or the gooners for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

DenMan wrote: »

He's very much in the Fergie mold and vise versa.

Strict authoritarian I would think. I'm looking forward to learning to hate him in the coming years :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I'd offer cole a contract think he is better than Monreal

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I'd offer cole a contract think he is better than Monreal
    I'd stick a hot poker up my arse, that'd be more enjoyable than seeing Cole in an Arsenal shirt again.

Why? Arsenal offered him a ****ty deal. For a player that was as good as he was then and turned out to be we should have been offering him a deal on par with Chelsea.

It hurts that he went to Chelsea but if it was to Madrid or Juve or any other non Premier League team then I dont think Arsenal would have reported him and there wouldnt be a fraction of the hate.

Not many LB were in his class tbf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Would rather Bender/top class striker over Cesc but wouldn't complain if he was brought in. Still maintain a CF and a DM should be our priority.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement