Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Bender was quick to dismiss suggestions he could be on his way after the World Cup, saying: ‘I signed my new contract until 2019, and that should have told everyone how happy I am at Leverkusen.

'I feel settled here and see no reason to change anything. In fact, if I am to be completely honest, I haven’t had an overly brilliant season and don’t feel ready yet to take on a pivotal role at a big club somewhere else.

‘I need to keep working on my game, and I am going to do that here at Leverkusen. That suits me, and I am happy with that.’

Pretty clear in his words.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Would rather Bender/top class striker over Cesc but wouldn't complain if he was brought in. Still maintain a CF and a DM should be our priority.
    Javi Martinez and Costa/Cavani. I could accept that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Javi Martinez and Costa/Cavani. I could accept that.

Are you sure now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Why? Arsenal offered him a ****ty deal. For a player that was as good as he was then and turned out to be we should have been offering him a deal on par with Chelsea.

It hurts that he went to Chelsea but if it was to Madrid or Juve or any other non Premier League team then I dont think Arsenal would have reported him and there wouldnt be a fraction of the hate.

Not many LB were in his class tbf

Cole had no interest in staying at Arsenal. He wanted to join his buddies at Chelsea. He was always leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

I've said it before but I don't think I would want Fab back, for a number of reasons.

One of the biggest problems would be the way he forced his way out last time and disrespected the club, his team mates and the fans.

In relation to the previous point, another concern would be that he would come back for a year or two and then if Barca were ever in need again and they came sniffing, he could see the opportunity to play for them again as a way to prove himself for "failing" this time around.

Apart from those concerns the other problems would be where would he fit in the team. Himself and Ramsey are reasonably similar and although Ramsey's injury caused us problems this year and it would be nice to have a replacement/alternative for him, I don't see how the two could play along side each other on a regular basis.

Finally, if we are paying £30M for him to come back, who or what position are we sacrificing to get him here? Would it mean that instead of paying £50M for a top quality striker, are we then reduced to £20M for a striker instead? (I know budgets shouldn't be our concern, but let's face it Wenger/the board is never just going to completely let loose the purse strings)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

farna_boy wrote: »
    I've said it before but I don't think I would want Fab back, for a number of reasons.

One of the biggest problems would be the way he forced his way out last time and disrespected the club, his team mates and the fans.

In relation to the previous point, another concern would be that he would come back for a year or two and then if Barca were ever in need again and they came sniffing, he could see the opportunity to play for them again as a way to prove himself for "failing" this time around.

Apart from those concerns the other problems would be where would he fit in the team. Himself and Ramsey are reasonably similar and although Ramsey's injury caused us problems this year and it would be nice to have a replacement/alternative for him, I don't see how the two could play along side each other on a regular basis.

Finally, if we are paying £30M for him to come back, who or what position are we sacrificing to get him here? Would it mean that instead of paying £50M for a top quality striker, are we then reduced to £20M for a striker instead? (I know budgets shouldn't be our concern, but let's face it Wenger/the board is never just going to completely let loose the purse strings)

Sorry but he never disrespected the club or fans in any way. that goes to nasri, adebayor and RVP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Sorry but he never disrespected the club or fans in any way. that goes to nasri, adebayor and RVP.

He feigned an injury and refused to play.

I'd like him back as much as anyone, but to say he never disrespected the club is incorrect.

DenMan wrote: »

I wouldn't take those reports too seriously. Couple of rumors bouncing around but all inconclusive as of yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

He feigned an injury and refused to play.

I'd like him back as much as anyone, but to say he never disrespected the club is incorrect.

Exactly but I think what seperates Fabregas from the others like Ade and Nasri is that in public he was more respectful to the club and fans, he also left to go to his hometown club not for money I don't think he would have left Arsenal for any club bar Barcelona.

Plus he still shows a lot of love for the club since he left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,121 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

farna_boy wrote: »

A €50M striker isn't going to happen whether he comes back or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I dont get sensitive to players leaving a club showing a lack of loyality same way I don't get sensitive when the club gets rid of a player they no longer want.

Arsenal sold a lot of players over the last 5 years to cover the cost of the stadium, we chose to sell these players and the prices we sold at to me shows that we were happy to sell.

I would have any player back at the club if it improved us not matter who they are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

What ever happened to wengers interest in Pato? It's a shame he's in brazil because he's still fairly young and has potential

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Interesting stat I saw there:

Silva's debut season
    42 starts 6 goals 13 assists

Ozil's debut season
    34 starts 7 goals 14 assists

Yet I don't remember the media and "expert" pundits saying that Silva needed to up his game and do more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

dvemail wrote: »

"Oh! Wayne Rooney eat your heart out*

Lost it! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

dont know if its been discussed but i see drmic is gone to Bayer. Would have really liked to get him.

Raf32 wrote: »
    dont know if its been discussed but i see drmic is gone to Bayer. Would have really liked to get him.

Would have liked him myself but if we get Remy i'll be happy enough.

Is that confirmed or Twitter talk?

Won't lie I'm not to gone on Remy at best another squad player imo.

Mainly paper/twitter talk.

Think Sky Sports Germany confirmed it. I actually really like Remy.

• Advertisement

Think Sky Sports Germany confirmed it. I actually really like Remy.

Are sky sports Germany not a bit like Sky Sports Italia?

Dont get me wrong I think he's a decent player but would Remy have made a huge difference to the outcome of this season I don't think so.

For me he's an average player who has had an average career and at 27 he certainly isn't going to drastically improve, we need to be and should be aiming higher than Remy imo.

If it's true that Cavani will be available, then I think we would be in with a great chance of getting him. Chelsea will be going for Costa and United, City and Pool don't need a top striker. That leaves Monaco but they already have Falcao, Bayern who've already bought Lewandowski and Real who if they go for anyone will probably go for Suarez. Can't see Barca being interested in him and doubt he would want to head back to Italy so soon. That's it, I've convinced myself that we are the only logical place he could go!

If it's true that Cavani will be available, then I think we would be in with a great chance of getting him. Chelsea will be going for Costa and United, City and Pool don't need a top striker. That leaves Monaco but they already have Falcao, Bayern who've already bought Lewandowski and Real who if they go for anyone will probably go for Suarez. Can't see Barca being interested in him and doubt he would want to head back to Italy so soon. That's it, I've convinced myself that we are the only logical place he could go!

He is my favourite non-arsenal player. Loved him for years now would be so perfect for us

Are sky sports Germany not a bit like Sky Sports Italia?

Dont get me wrong I think he's a decent player but would Remy have made a huge difference to the outcome of this season I don't think so.

For me he's an average player who has had an average career and at 27 he certainly isn't going to drastically improve, we need to be and should be aiming higher than Remy imo.

I think he would have really helped. When you compare his stats to Giroud I think he's done really good.

Remy - 24 games - 14 goals
    Giroud - 35 games - 16 goals

If Remy can get 14 goals in that Newcastle team imagine what he'd get in ours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Poldi training

MarvelousQuarterlyBassethound.gif

Coutinho > Ozil
    He is so good he isnt even going to the world cup :pac:

Anyone who wouldn't take Remy over Sanogo is not thinking straight in my opinion. I don't think he is a Giroud replacement, rather than a Giroud alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Coutinho > Ozil
    He is so good he isnt even going to the world cup :pac:

What, did one of them really say that? :D

Quazzie wrote: »
    Anyone who wouldn't take Remy over Sanogo is not thinking straight in my opinion. I don't think he is a Giroud replacement, rather than a Giroud alternative.

But no one has said they wouldn't take Remy over Sanogo.

Just that we should be aiming higher, Remy is an average player for an average club. There is a reason why at 27 Remy has never played at the top levels.

Good alternative, good squad player just think we should be aiming higher or at potential over a Remy.

What, did one of them really say that? :D

I think Jamie Carragher or someone like that did.

• Advertisement

But no one has said they wouldn't take Remy over Sanogo.

Just that we should be aiming higher, Remy is an average player for an average club. There is a reason why at 27 Remy has never played at the top levels.

Good alternative, good squad player just think we should be aiming higher or at potential over a Remy.
    Who do you think that we can get that is better than Giroud?

Quazzie wrote: »
    Who do you think that we can get that is better than Giroud?

There are plenty better than Giroud and Remy. I could list off players but at the end of the day the club pays Wenger, scouts etc to find and pick targets.

If the height of our ambition is Remy were screwed. You may rate him as a top striker I don't.

There are plenty better than Giroud and Remy. I could list off players but at the end of the day the club pays Wenger, scouts etc to find and pick targets.

If the height of our ambition is Remy were screwed. You may rate him as a top striker I don't.
    I don't rate him as a top striker, but I do think he would add to our squad, and I do think if we had him this year he would've been of great benefit to us.

In terms of Giroud, I think there are many better strikers out there, but not too many that would compliment our existing set up. In terms of what he does, he is one of the best at it.

Frimpong released from Barnsley, cant say i didnt see that coming. Out of football within the next 6 months.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Frimpong released from Barnsley, cant say i didnt see that coming. Out of football within the next 6 months.

I actually rated the guy..what ever happened him?

Agueroooo wrote: »

Ah he was way too hot headed, literally didnt use his brain at all. Few loans at Fulham and Wolves and then released and joined Barnsley. Played terrible all season and wouldnt be shocked if thats the last we see of him.

Agueroooo wrote: »

A lot of people did including Wenger, injuries abd well becoming a bit of a spanner halted his development. Dench and all that lark.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

A lot of people did including Wenger, injuries abd well becoming a bit of a spanner halted his development. Dench and all that lark.

LEAVE IT....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

That Dench ****e got old very quickly. He loved Arsenal but was held back by a lack of footballing ability.

• Advertisement

keano_afc wrote: »
    That Dench ****e got old very quickly. He loved Arsenal but was held back by a lack of footballing ability.

There's no way the second bit is true before he suffered serious injuries ligaments etc he looked a real player he had a lot of potential at one stage had Wenger singing his praises very publicly and loudly even pushing the English F.A to get him declare for them.

The injuries really knocked him back, then he completely lost the run of himself as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Yeah Frimpong got that one bad injury but he was playing and Arsenal got him decent loan spells but he just kept acting the muppet thinking he was a rapper with that dench ****e. Christ, he's not being through half of what Diaby has - he got his first bad injury 2006 - and look at him still busting a gut trying to make it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

That would be more than acceptable!

Oh god please don't do this to me again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Oh god, probably more exciting than a big name striker for me :(

• Advertisement

We won't get him!

Is what i'm saying until I see him beside Wenger holding our new kit..

It's hard to see Bayern selling him but I would have thought the same about Real and Ozil so who knows. Not getting hopes up though!

In other news, Thierry will be a pundit with the BBC for the world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    We won't get him!

Is what i'm saying until I see him beside Wenger holding our new kit..

This is my new mantra. We won't get him. We won't sign anybody. Our squad is perfect.

That way I won't get over excited.

Javi martinez. Pff. Sure Cazorla bulldozed him over in the away leg. He's not good enough for the arsenal. If we waste our money on him I'll go mental. Is that the standard we're looking for? We'll be lucky not to be relegated with th likes of him. What next? Replacing Sanogo with someone ****e like Cavani? Dreadful.

Please sign him please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Can't see why we'd sign Remy really.

He's not part of our future, he'll never be the player we need, so surely to god Wenger can find a younger version who at least has the potential to improve.

I wouldn't mind him being in the squad but we need another striker too.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement