Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

A Martinez and Ramsey midfield pairing would really be something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

tumblr_m7p72vF6371rq4xsa.gif

ABOUT TRANSFERS!!!!!!!!!

continue, I love transfer talk, getting excited only to have my heart ripped away but then we sign Ozil O_O (Ozil eyes) and you believe again we can get anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

I made it lads - got my tweet up on BBC page

BnDaVd7IgAE3Elr.png:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

gosplan wrote: »
    Can't see why we'd sign Remy really.

He's not part of our future, he'll never be the player we need, so surely to god Wenger can find a younger version who at least has the potential to improve.

I wouldn't mind him being in the squad but we need another striker too.

I think this time last year I said we should go for Remy if we got Europa league but someone better if we secured Champions league. The reason I've warmed to him more since is the recognition of how much better our season would have been this year with him. Pace was missing so badly this season and he would have been an able substitute for Walcott. A further consideration is that Walcott may well not have picked up his injury in January had Remy been around. It has been said that Walcott picked up his injury due to over-use after returning from his previous injury. With Remy available this may well not have happened.

Not gonna be happy if Van Gaal goes to United, I like him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Not gonna be happy if Van Gaal goes to United, I like him.

You're never happy anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Might as well join in the fun

Few people tweeting this

Basque Radio: "Martinez to Arsenal is a done deal."

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    You're never happy anyway :pac:

Would be happy if they stuck with Giggs. :P

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Might as well join in the fun

Few people tweeting this

Basque Radio: "Martinez to Arsenal is a done deal."

It's starting early this year isn't it? Bring on the craziness.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It's starting early this year isn't it? Bring on the craziness.

Was Colombian radio last year want it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Norwich only need to beat us by 18 goals to stay in the Premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Looks like City have won the league. I genuinely feel they are the only team better than us. Win the cup, have the second best season and build for next year. Liverpool will drop off, City wont strengthen too much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Raf32 wrote: »
    Looks like City have won the league. I genuinely feel they are the only team better than us. Win the cup, have the second best season and build for next year. Liverpool will drop off, City wont strengthen too much more.

Chelsea will improve.
    United under van gaal will improve. Slow start until his system is implemented. I'd say they'll return to top 4 with some signings.
    We need to stop the injuries and be more active in the transfer market. Javi martinez would be incredible.
    we could be in a battle with spurs/everton for 4th again otherwise.
    If we sort ourselves out we could do something nice next year. Hopefully a less poxy champions league group and draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Why would Bayern sell their only DM 2 years after buying him for 40m? I doubt Pep will stick with playing Lahm out of position with no backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Norwich only need to beat us by 18 goals to stay in the Premiership.

Are we away?............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Soups123 wrote: »
    Are we away?............

Yep. We're traveling to Norwich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Why would Bayern sell their only DM 2 years after buying him for 40m? I doubt Pep will stick with playing Lahm out of position with no backup.

Because Guardiola is Wenger's succesor and is saving himself the effort of having to negiotate with the next Bayen manager when he inevitably has to come to some agreement to sign Martinez.

He's only going to sell Martinez though, because if he sells too many of the Munich lads to us, then the board might get suspicous of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Because Guardiola is Wenger's succesor and is saving himself the effort of having to negiotate with the next Bayen manager when he inevitably has to come to some agreement to sign Martinez.

He's only going to sell Martinez though, because if he sells too many of the Munich lads to us, then the board might get suspicous of him.

He'll just run down the rest of their contracts and bring them with him for free so :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

He'll just run down the rest of their contracts and bring them with him for free so :cool:

While ideal and true to the Arsenal ethos, we have to be realistic here, Guardiola needs to arouse as little suspicion as posible and play tika taka in the long grass, if he starts letting the likes of Gotze et al run down their contracts and not renew or flog them, the board will suspect something is up as hypothesized above. Another problem is such a process might take longer than is neccesary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Ramsey, Wilshere and Gibbs all fit.

Kos close to new contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

Someone mention Arsenal are 10/1 for the PL title next year .
    Considering Wenger might spend some and we had some injuries and the Financial fair play rules come in, plus Utd will be rebuilding ... might be worth a lucky tenner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Ramsey, Wilshere and Gibbs all fit.

Kos close to new contract.

Tying down Kos would be massive for us.
    The tide is slowly turning, all our main players are singing new deals instead of leaving us. (bar Sagna of course)

Let's hope we pick up no injuries or silly sendings-off on Sunday. Thought Giroud was incredibly stupid to get involved in that fracas on Sunday in the 90th minute. It could have cost him his place in the cup final. Although he would have been ok if he gone for a sly stamp on the leg instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Fantastic news about Koscielney. Nearly every key player is tied down to long term contracts at this stage. The club deserve credit for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

To be honest contracts mean nothing anymore. A player gets his head turned and starts demanding a move and soon the fact that they're contracted to the club becomes an irrelevance. See Fabregas, Cesc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

it just means its harder to let it run down Van persie Style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Its the clubs outlook that needs to change. They need to take a leaf out of Liverpools book from last year with Suarez. If the tables were turned and it was Liverpool bidding 40million( +1 ) for one of our players we would have prob sold.

Having long term contracts is all well and good but if we are willing to sell it means f all.

Hopefully that way of thinking is finally finished now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

This is absolutely brilliant! Had me in stitches! :D

Well done Arsenal and Paddy Power.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP7k1QkkhZk

keano_afc wrote: »
    To be honest contracts mean nothing anymore. A player gets his head turned and starts demanding a move and soon the fact that they're contracted to the club becomes an irrelevance. See Fabregas, Cesc.

No we don't need to sell though we can afford to let them sulk

jonny666 wrote: »
    Its the clubs outlook that needs to change. They need to take a leaf out of Liverpools book from last year with Suarez. If the tables were turned and it was Liverpool bidding 40million( +1 ) for one of our players we would have prob sold.

Having long term contracts is all well and good but if we are willing to sell it means f all.

Hopefully that way of thinking is finally finished now

Don't agree with that at all. For one the club's attitude to selling players has changed and for another Van Persie. was only sold as he was in the last year of his contract.

• Advertisement

Cavani On interests From Abroad: "I'll talk with the leaders [PSG chairman], I am confident that we will do things for the best."

Oh please let us just throw 55 million at them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Probably just me but in the 5/6 games I've watched of Cavani hes been beyond useless

AdamD wrote: »
    Probably just me but in the 5/6 games I've watched of Cavani hes been beyond useless

top 5 striker in the world man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Just you. Guys a beast, fantastic goalscorer and he'll run all day too. Phenomenal workrate.

Wenger backs Helena Costa managerial appointment at Clermont Foot: "It happens to all of us that we are managed at home by women."

:pac:

greendom wrote: »
    Don't agree with that at all. For one the club's attitude to selling players has changed and for another Van Persie. was only sold as he was in the last year of his contract.

Van Persie should have been told that moving to United was never ever goina happen for him. He is either sold abroad or made stay for his last year. We handed United the title by selling him to them. Hopefully he was the last star to leave that way though and things have changed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Wenger backs Helena Costa managerial appointment at Clermont Foot: "It happens to all of us that we are managed at home by women."

Other managers can come out with some funny one liners, but Wenger does one liners with class and intelligence.

Per, Podolski and Ozil all in Germany provisional world cup squad, think ill be rooting for them!

jonny666 wrote: »
    Van Persie should have been told that moving to United was never ever goina happen for him. He is either sold abroad or made stay for his last year. We handed United the title by selling him to them. Hopefully he was the last star to leave that way though and things have changed.
    The net result of that would have been that RVP would have spent 1 more miserable year at Arsenal then leave on a free like Lewandoski at Dortmund. Instead we got Cazorla, Podolski and Giroud for him.
    That to me was a much better result.

greendom wrote: »
    The net result of that would have been that RVP would have spent 1 more miserable year at Arsenal then leave on a free like Lewandoski at Dortmund. Instead we got Cazorla, Podolski and Giroud for him.
    That to me was a much better result.

We would have gotten Cazorla and Podolski anyways I reckon. With them and RVP we could have won the league. Maybe he would have stayed then. Anything but sell to a rival.

Hopefully them days are behind us. Win the FA cup and push on. No players will want to leave then :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

We all know that the reason we have been a selling club in the past (nearly a top player every year) was to fund the new stadium. We have that new stadium and dont need to be a selling club now with the income we have from property and sponsorship deals etc. Stability is of huge importance to a football club.

Any players coming in now have to be WINNERS, not so much in way of trophies in the past (would be nice for experience) but a winning mentality. A passion and hunger with leadership and commitment......

I would rather spend €50m on one player that actual makes a difference to the players around him, then €65-70m on 2-3 players that could not give 100% on a rainy afternoon playing palace in winter!

Quick (for the craic :pac:) question...

Would ye be happy if we swapped Wenger for Guardiola, Wenger going to Bayern, and Pep joining us.

Or would ye be happier if we swapped Klopp for Wenger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Quick (for the craic :pac:) question...

Would ye be happy if we swapped Wenger for Guardiola, Wenger going to Bayern, and Pep joining us.

Or would ye be happier if we swapped Klopp for Wenger?

Klopp for Wenger......

My only criticism against Wenger is that even with 2 or 3 new players in the squad next season, he really does not have a plan B. If we are getting beaten by a club ANY CLUB he has no real astute tactical plan B.

Guardiola's football bores me to tears

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

But it wins things.

How good were we to watch circa 2007-2009? Remember the Theo Van Nasregas foursome? Electric when it clicked. But what did we win in the period? Zero.

Winning is everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

cson wrote: »
    But it wins things.

How good were we to watch circa 2007-2009? Remember the Theo Van Nasregas foursome? Electric when it clicked. But what did we win in the period? Zero.

Winning is everything.

Well it also wins things because it's with the best players in the world.

I'd prefer Klopp.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Yes, his style, that Bayern have adapted was so disappointing to watch.

cson wrote: »
    But it wins things.

Winning is everything.

I watch Football to be entertained, I'm not actually winning anything, other fans probably feel different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Klopp has shown he can do amazing things on a budget, which Guardiola hasn't. We won't be able to buy Ibrahimovic and sell him at a huge loss one year later with no consequences.

Klopp all day every day for me, not that I see him leaving Dortmund in the next 5 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

With the occasional whipping and tongue lashing.:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement