Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Quick (for the craic :pac:) question...

Would ye be happy if we swapped Wenger for Guardiola, Wenger going to Bayern, and Pep joining us.

Or would ye be happier if we swapped Klopp for Wenger?

Klopp for me. As a club Arsenal is more like Dortmund then Barca / Bayern and he would be a better fit imo.

When Wenger does finish up as Arsenal manager I hope he stay with the club in some form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Podolski being Podolski

MarvelousQuarterlyBassethound.gif]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Raf32 wrote: »
    Per, Podolski and Ozil all in Germany provisional world cup squad, think ill be rooting for them!

Really tempted to get last years Germany away top (green) with BFG on the back just to get into the whole WC vibe.....

jonny666 wrote: »
    When Wenger does finish up as Arsenal manager I hope he stay with the club in some form

Nope. Not for me.

When he leaves, it needs to be a clean break and a thank you very much for what you have left us, we'll look after it for you scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Nope. Not for me.

When he leaves, it needs to be a clean break and a thank you very much for what you have left us, we'll look after it for you scenario.

You know after I posted the thought of Fergie sitting in the stands at all the United matches came into my head and I really wouldnt want Wenger doing the same. But I would like him to be involved in some way.

Imagine Wenger bringing his PSG team to the Emirates and knocking us out of the CL. Ugh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Javi Martinez. Aaron Ramsey

Oxlade-C M. Ozil. Theo

????

We are not too far away from a top class outfit. I have always wanted to see Theo played on the left for a period. Think it would suit his finishing. Could alternate with Ox regularly.

With that pace on the wings and a fast striker we could negate the need for attacking full backs. Jeez I want 3 good signings so bad. A striker, def mid and a very good player for the wing in the mould of Ox or Theo for pacy purposes.

A right back doesnt need to cost the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

AdamD wrote: »
    I watch Football to be entertained, I'm not actually winning anything, other fans probably feel different.

You've just been Arseatutionalized

Winning trophies is so much better you just cant remember

Im bursting for the Cup final. Its going to be unreal.

Having trouble getting the cash together to fund a ticket.

Thinking of starting a Kickstarter page to raise funds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

You need to get people buying shares in you like "The Gunners" SD Eibar are doing in Spain!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

You really thinking of paying £500 for a ticket?

Apparently there's a good few season ticket holders selling theirs in order to pay for about half of their season ticket for next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

omega man wrote: »
    Really tempted to get last years Germany away top (green) with BFG on the back just to get into the whole WC vibe.....

Savage Jersey too, might try to pick up an Ozil home one somewhere!

You really thinking of paying £500 for a ticket?

Apparently there's a good few season ticket holders selling theirs in order to pay for about half of their season ticket for next year.

Im trying to justify it mainly.

Its only £62.50 for every season we have gone without a trophy.............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,121 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

AdamD wrote: »
    I watch Football to be entertained, I'm not actually winning anything, other fans probably feel different.
    Thats fine, but why do you support Arsenal?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I can't wait too see how we set up for the end of next season, what formation he uses

Cause you can be sure wilshere & Ramsey will def be the first two names down for the midfield

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

I can't wait too see how we set up for the end of next season, what formation he uses

Cause you can be sure wilshere & Ramsey will def be the first two names down for the midfield

Wouldnt be sure hes a guaranteed starter even before we sign another midfielder. Hopefully he can push on ala Ramsey next season.

shano_88 wrote: »
    Wouldnt be sure hes a guaranteed starter even before we sign another midfielder. Hopefully he can push on ala Ramsey next season.

Agreed Wilshere wont start unless its in place of Cazorla on the left. Really comes down to a holding mid and then him or Ramsey with Ozil in front of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

It'll be some craic when (if?) we win the final, there has to be a pitch invasion surely! What else is Wembley for?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

If we win the final, seeing the players delighted will be great.

Pity we don't have a solid captain to lift our trophies. Will feel a bit strange with Vermaelen lifting it and even Arteta who spends more time whining on the pitch than leading.

I think that Mertesacker just has to be the club captain next season.

shano_88 wrote: »

By the end of next season I'm convinced he will be one of the top midfielders in the game

(If he stays injury free)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

omega man wrote: »

The reason its green is Ireland was the first country to play Germany after WWII .... or maybe thats just an urban myth ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

The reason its green is Ireland was the first country to play Germany after WWII .... or maybe thats just an urban myth ...

Its a complete myth I'm afraid.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Its a complete myth I'm afraid.

Indeed.

The Swiss were the first team to play them. The colours green and white were chosen because they are the same as the german football association logo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Just got a mail from the Arsenal. Silver membership confirmed for next year, BOOM. Only took about 8 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Just got a mail from the Arsenal. Silver membership confirmed for next year, BOOM. Only took about 8 years.

Nice one, I stopped paying 2/3 years ago. Pain in the arsenal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Lucky you how long were you waiting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

From Arsenalist.com, a guide to the reliability of transfers sources

http://arsenalist.com/f/other/handy-guide-for-what-to-believe-during-transfer-season.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

From Arsenalist.com, a guide to the reliability of transfers sources

http://arsenalist.com/f/other/handy-guide-for-what-to-believe-during-transfer-season.html

I would honestly trust GeoffArsenal more than the Daily Mail etc. He's gotten a good few things right.

The only ones I really give much consideration to though are the Guardian, Telegraph and of course the BBC.

Geoff Arsenal, Darren Arsenal and DC are the only trustworthy ones on Twitter. Telegraph, Guardian and Evening Standard are the only papers i trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

I would honestly trust GeoffArsenal more than the Daily Mail etc. He's gotten a good few things right.

The only ones I really give much consideration to though are the Guardian, Telegraph and of course the BBC.

Ya I agree with that. In fairness to GeoffArsenal I think he is typically sincere. He has got a couple of things wrong like most do and got slated for it very publicly. But there may have been some element of truth in terms of an approach, etc and it never came to light.

I would put most newspapers bottom of the list to be honest.

• Advertisement

Would we be happy with schneiderlin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭kevinroche3333

Schneiderlin is a very good player but i think with the strength of our midfield options we need to be looking at better than him.
    Our fully fit first team is strong and we should be improving our first team options, not just adding another very good player.

Javi Martinez would be an excellent addition and an obvious quality upgrade on Arteta/Flamini. We could argue over who is better, Arteta or Flamini or Scheiderlin, but the fact that it is somewhat debatable kind of proves my point, at best Schneiderlin is a marginal improvement.

No doubt in my mind that Martinez is much more than a marginal improvement and thats what we should be trying to achieve with new additions.

Our first choice midfield seems to be Arteta/Ramsey/Ozil/Caz/Walcott with Wilshere Ox Flamini Pod Rosicky Gnabry etc i dont see Schneiderlin as significant improvement here, as good as he obviously is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Just one fit season is all we ask for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Lucky you how long were you waiting?

Been a red member since the membership scheme began, 2006 I think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

dvemail wrote: »

Every time he comes back from injury I've seen improvement in his game.I would like to see him get 20 mins against Norwich if he is fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭brevity

dvemail wrote: »

Reminds me a lot of Yaya Toure in that video...an excellent player.

Can I ask, why is it that Arsenal seem to suffer most with injuries throughout the season? Is it the training regime? Squad depth?

I remember reading when Barca signed Fabregas, a player who had seen his fair share of injuries with Arsenal, they seemed shocked at the way Fabregas had been training? Links here and here

Wenger said recently that they were going to do a review of supplements that the players were taking and player fitness/training in general. Do you guys know if anything is happening in relation to this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

How do people feel about the B-Team proposal?

Would be a big step up from the current youth and reserve set ups at least. Would also give us an extra 40 odd games a season to look forward to. I'm in favour of it either way, but really hope we're involved in it.
    brevity wrote: »
    Can I ask, why is it that Arsenal seem to suffer most with injuries throughout the season? Is it the training regime? Squad depth?

We apparently go very hard in training. It helps us last longer in games without getting tired, but we are more prone to injuries. The vast majority of our injuries seem to be muscle injuries which usually means they are being over worked.

It's definitely something that needs looking at.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    How do people feel about the B-Team proposal?

Would be a big step up from the current youth and reserve set ups at least. Would also give us an extra 40 odd games a season to look forward to. I'm in favour of it either way, but really hope we're involved in it.

I don't see it as a step-up in standard to be honest. It's a tonne more games, more players on the books to flatter to deceive, will have adverse affects on loads of clubs lower in the pyramid. Not a fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronjo

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    We apparently go very hard in training. It helps us last longer in games without getting tired, but we are more prone to injuries. The vast majority of our injuries seem to be muscle injuries which usually means they are being over worked.

It's definitely something that needs looking at.

I thought Clichy said he was shocked by the City trainings when he first joined as the intensity was much higher.

That may have course have been the physicality of the tackling as opposed to the cardio work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Will Diaby make the French world cup team, I know he is very highly rated in France but surely they wont take the risk of bringing him.

• Advertisement

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Will Diaby make the French world cup team, I know he is very highly rated in France but surely they wont take the risk of bringing him.

Surely not. Has played barely anything for a year and a half.
    And i think we all know what the outcome will be if he does go unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

ronjo wrote: »
    I thought Clichy said he was shocked by the City trainings when he first joined as the intensity was much higher.

That may have course have been the physicality of the tackling as opposed to the cardio work.

I remember Clichy saying not long after he left Arsenal that they did not tackle each other in training with the same intensity of a match. That's just crazy. How do you make players accustomed to the likes of Stoke, etc. if you don't have our defenders give them a wack every now and again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I don't see it as a step-up in standard to be honest. It's a tonne more games, more players on the books to flatter to deceive, will have adverse affects on loads of clubs lower in the pyramid. Not a fan.

Agreed and it won't happen anyway. You think Dyke might have sounded club chairmen out before deciding on announcing something that would never get approval.

Here's what Accrington Stanley plan to do about it anyways....

BnLhGXwIcAAU-C3.png:large

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Accrington Stanley? Who are they?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Roaster wrote: »
    I remember Clichy saying not long after he left Arsenal that they did not tackle each other in training with the same intensity of a match. That's just crazy. How do you make players accustomed to the likes of Stoke, etc. if you don't have our defenders give them a wack every now and again.
    We've also had numerous new arrivals remark at being shocked at getting cleaned out by teammates in training. Who to believe...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

bad2dabone wrote: »

Exactly !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

We've also had numerous new arrivals remark at being shocked at getting cleaned out by teammates in training. Who to believe...

Isn't there some story of Sol Campbell turning Reyes upside down after he joined? Might not have been Reyes either...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

To be honest, it sounds just like the kind of thing that people say to the press when they join a new organisation. It's always something vaguely complimentary to their new team, no new player is going to join a team and start saying things like "Well, this isn't how we did it at Arsenal! It's much better there."

bad2dabone wrote: »

Back when we used to get the football results on the radio, which ever division they were in, Accrington Stanley always used to the first team to be read out.

Always stuck in my head, a name that just rolls off the tongue.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement