Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

CatInABox wrote: »
    Back when we used to get the football results on the radio, which ever division they were in, Accrington Stanley always used to the first team to be read out.

Always stuck in my head, a name that just rolls off the tongue.

ah its just the "accrington stanley who are they?" line used to be in a tv ad for milk I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

bad2dabone wrote: »
    ah its just the "accrington stanley who are they?" line used to be in a tv ad for milk I think.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Well, that joke went embarrassingly far over my head. Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

cson wrote: »
    Isn't there some story of Sol Campbell turning Reyes upside down after he joined? Might not have been Reyes either...

Is this the one you're thinking about? I cant remember if it was posted here or not, its a pretty good story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭G1032

Just got a mail from the Arsenal. Silver membership confirmed for next year, BOOM. Only took about 8 years.
    How much does Silver membership cost? I know there is a waiting list but don't know the cost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

GeoffArsenal ‏@GeoffArsenal 11m
    @Baaantva @MAmpov10 @18DialSquare86 all i will say for now is i believe AW has the RB sorted. :-)

wonder who it is? Aurier?

Hopefully Sagna.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Raf32 wrote: »
    Hopefully Sagna.

Yeah my first instinct when reading that and the way its put, suggests a deal has been agreed with Sagna.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Raf32 wrote: »
    Hopefully Sagna.

Hopefully its both :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Mr Blobby wrote: »

This would be the best case scenario. Sagna to groom his successor plus there would be plenty of games for both of them to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

rather unlikely I reckon, it will be either or.
    If it is true that the RB is sorted, of course. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

I'd be shocked if it's both. If Sagna signs a contract, I'd say AW hopes Jenkinson will be ready to take over in 2 years time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

shano_88 wrote: »
    I'd be shocked if it's both. If Sagna signs a contract, I'd say AW hopes Jenkinson will be ready to take over in 2 years time.

If it was to be both, Jenkinson could go out on loan, get regular first team football then compete with Aurier when Sagna retires/moves on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Been a red member since the membership scheme began, 2006 I think?

Hmmm I think I joined back then too would be great to go silver :)

Hopefully next season!!

Tolouse want £12m for Aurier so if Sagna is staying and we already have adequate cover in Jenkinson, that £12m caould be far better served in other areas of the pitch to be fair.

• Advertisement

Tolouse want £12m for Aurier so if Sagna is staying and we already have adequate cover in Jenkinson, that £12m caould be far better served in other areas of the pitch to be fair.

"Adequate" isn't good enough though if we want to push on and Sagna needs to be replaced some time. Aurier is one of the most highly rated young defenders in the world and signing him now would allow him to learn from Sagna and be ready to take over when Sagna does leave.

"Adequate" isn't good enough though if we want to push on and Sagna needs to be replaced some time. Aurier is one of the most highly rated young defenders in the world and signing him now would allow him to learn from Sagna and be ready to take over when Sagna does leave.

My point being that we don't have adequate cover in numerous other parts of the field so spending 15 to 20% of our transfer kitty on a third right back would be foolish, unless of course it has been decided Jenkinson can move on - that won't happen though.

My point being that we don't have adequate cover in numerous other parts of the field so spending 15 to 20% of our transfer kitty on a third right back would be foolish, unless of course it has been decided Jenkinson can move on - that won't happen though.

Can see your point alright, then there's Bellerin too so who knows what Wenger is going to do with him and Jenkinson.

Great news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Think I saw a tweet that our win ratio this season with him playing is 66% and without him 33%. His partnership with Per is the key component to our defensive stability

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Yussss!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

G1032 wrote: »
    How much does Silver membership cost? I know there is a waiting list but don't know the cost

£50 for the no frills option. Was paying around £30 I think as a red member. Didn't think there'd be a price increase but should have expected it really given how the board treat the fans as cash cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

LK6 was offered a deal agreed it and signed. Sagna has been offered but hasn't agreed or signed. if you want to stay you stay

Good tweet that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

LK6 was offered a deal agreed it and signed. Sagna has been offered but hasn't agreed or signed. if you want to stay you stay

Good tweet that

To be fair, it's probably the last contract for Sagna. Can't blame him for wanting the best he can get. One of the few players who pretty much always plays very well.

If Sagna was 100% set on leaving wouldnt he of said a proper goodbye after West Brom?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

If Sagna was 100% set on leaving wouldnt he of said a proper goodbye after West Brom?
    It does seem like he hasn't got anything nailed down. I do wonder if the sanctions on PSG and City are complicating matters for him...

Still hopes he stays all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

dvemail wrote: »
    Just one fit season is all we ask for.

reminds me of yaya toure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Giroud 22 (16)
    Ramsey 14 (9)
    Podolski 12 (8)
    Ozil 6 (4)
    Cazorla 6 (4)
    Walcott 6 (5)
    Wilshere 5 (3)
    Mertesacker 3 (2)
    Rosicky 3 (2)
    Arteta 3 (2)
    Oxlade-Chamberlain 3 (2)
    Flamini 2 (2)
    Bendtner 2 (2)
    Koscielny 1 (1)
    Gnabry 1 (1)
    Eisfeld 1 (0)
    Sagna 1 (1)
    Gibbs 1 (0)

Reposted as I had Giroud's total wrong (it's 22, not 21)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

r0tlzt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

So is there a gathering for the cup final next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

No place will take us out of fear of an Arsenal loss! God knows what we would do to each other. Mass rolling brawl between the Wengerites and the Anti-Wengarians!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

No place will take us out of fear of an Arsenal loss! God knows what we would do to each other. Mass rolling brawl between the Wengerites and the Anti-Wengarians!!

Bring back Bruce Rioch....he signed the ICE MAN!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

John Cross saying that Sagna will not make a decision on contract until after the World Cup. Have link but on mobile. Says with FFP there is less big money deals out there than expected. Interesting. You would have to imagine Wenger is ready to move on a replacement though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

If in Dublin might be something worth doing

I'm the only gunner in my village

I believe there will be a gathering in Mercantile, right?
    I'm going to miss it, as I will be in the last couple of days of studying, so I will watch it from home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I'm going to miss it, as I will be in the last couple of days of studying, so I will watch it from home.

Are you going to be the new "Le Professeur".....

;)

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Are you going to be the new "Le Professeur".....

;)

That would be the day!!!!!! :)
    Actually, come to think about it, I would be very popular among fans as a manager. I'd be the one to spend every single penny there is in the bank!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Galvasean wrote: »
    Giroud 22 (16)
    Ramsey 14 (9)
    Podolski 12 (8)
    Ozil 6 (4)
    Cazorla 6 (4)
    Walcott 6 (5)
    Wilshere 5 (3)
    Mertesacker 3 (2)
    Rosicky 3 (2)
    Arteta 3 (2)
    Oxlade-Chamberlain 3 (2)
    Flamini 2 (2)
    Bendtner 2 (2)
    Koscielny 1 (1)
    Gnabry 1 (1)
    Eisfeld 1 (0)
    Sagna 1 (1)
    Gibbs 1 (0)

Reposted as I had Giroud's total wrong (it's 22, not 21)

Ozil has 7 goals, 5 in the league, 1 FACup and 1 Champions League

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    One of the few players who pretty much always plays very well.

Not trying to rise any of ye, but friends of mine (supporting different clubs, one or two of them Arsenal) agree that Sagna isn't all that.
    Of course a longer servant at your club will always be looked at in a more positive fashion, but he's not all that great going forward and he's definitely not in the top 5 fullbacks in the league defensive-wise.
    Won't deny that he doesn't skimp on the work effort

Not surprised that seemingly nobody's going for him, I reckon he'll stay with ye after waiting long enough for other options.

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    Not trying to rise any of ye, but friends of mine (supporting different clubs, one or two of them Arsenal) agree that Sagna isn't all that.
    Of course a longer servant at your club will always be looked at in a more positive fashion, but he's not all that great going forward and he's definitely not in the top 5 fullbacks in the league defensive-wise.
    Won't deny that he doesn't skimp on the work effort

Not surprised that seemingly nobody's going for him, I reckon he'll stay with ye after waiting long enough for other options.

Please name the 5 better fullbacks in the league.

I think there is 5 better fullbacks

Maybe not 5 better right backs though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

I think Sagna is one of the best defensive full-backs in the league.

Full-backs are either former wingers or former centre backs.

Sagna is a former centre back and Coleman and Baines are former wingers.

I am 100% confident having watched some Everton games that Sagna is a much more convincing "DEFENSIVE" full back than the above. I also accept that the two Everton full backs are considerably better on the attack.

Also, I never buy the "Others agree with me" type of argument. There'll always be people who agree with a point, even the most outlandish. Hitler had millions of followers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    he's definitely not in the top 5 fullbacks in the league defensive-wise.
    Names? There's absolutely no way this is true, especially if you start naming names like Seamus Coleman. For me, it's just Zabaleta, probably Azpilicueta this season, and that's it.

• Advertisement

cathalio11 wrote: »
    I think Sagna is one of the best defensive full-backs in the league.

Full-backs are either former wingers or former centre backs.

Sagna is a former centre back and Coleman and Baines are former wingers.

I am 100% confident having watched some Everton games that Sagna is a much more convincing "DEFENSIVE" full back than the above. I also accept that the two Everton full backs are considerably better on the attack.

Also, I never buy the "Others agree with me" type of argument. There'll always be people who agree with a point, even the most outlandish. Hitler had millions of followers.

But we can't just judge on been defensive as a full back you must defend and attack so must be judged on both

How many better all round better right backs are they better than sagna in the league

I reckon 2 both Chelsea's and man city's, an argument could be made for Coleman but I would just side with sagna. Just

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Zabaleta
    Azpilicueta
    Baines
    Coleman
    Gibbs/Shaw

He did say full backs and not Right-back
    Also these are just names i'm throwing out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

You can't just judge on defensive abilities.

Better overall full backs:
    Azpiliceuta (very close imo, hes pretty poor going forward too)
    Baines
    Coleman
    Rafael (probably controversial, but when fit hes brilliant)
    Zabaleta

What's really important is that Sagna is only going to get worse, athleticism is massive for full backs and hes losing his. Players like Coleman are only going to get better.

Saturdays are muck without football.

Zabaleta
    Azpilicueta
    Baines
    Coleman
    Gibbs/Shaw

He did say full backs and not Right-back
    Also these are just names i'm throwing out.

Gibbs
    Coleman

Seriously, Coleman scores a few goals and suddenly he is top 5. Has a lot more to prove than that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement