Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

His positioning can be poor and he makes rash challenges.
    He needs more time as he will be good but is not ready yet in my opinion.

I agree with tayto on this. His positioning was his main problem. Great bombing forward and linking up but got caught at times with his positioning.

He'll learn that though with time. Which he could do next season with a number one slot. I just don't fancy the gamble yet. Rather someone else to come in ahead of him still.

Knowing Wenger this will not happen though, he'll expect Jenkinson to step up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Irish Aris wrote: »
    still if Sagna leaves, we need to go out and buy a good right back.
    We can't have just Jenks.

Oh I agree we will need another RB but people writing off Jenks are wrong.
    His positioning can be poor and he makes rash challenges.
    He needs more time as he will be good but is not ready yet in my opinion.

It can be but that's in games when he's thrown on after months of not playing but he has shown when given a run in the team he can be more than a solid defender.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    If Fergie would have stayed on they would have won the league, he would have made one or two impact signings like Van Persie to keep them challenging.

We would probably not have made 4th, that's why this summer is so important.

Ifs what's and buts my arse

If United were better, Liverpool were worse if the £100m spurs spent worked out. Every season is whst it is and we have been top 4 for about 14 yrs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

James Maw ‏@JamesMawFFT 58m
    Tottenham have now finished above every Premier League team in the last four years...apart from Arsenal.

thats a brilliant one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Three or four top signings and keep Ramsey, Wilshire, Diaby, Ozil fit. This team can win league and champions league. I have no doubt but we serious need a top quality striker (remy would be a great squad player but not a leading striker) a top defensive midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I'm here.
    We should have replaced in January :D

And where's the mention of the unforgivable failure to have not beaten Man U this season:p:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,502 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

greendom wrote: »
    And where's the mention of the unforgivable failure to have not beaten Man U this season:p:D

We were the only team in the top 7 not to score against them :D
    Plus we should learn to defend better away to the top teams :pac:

The victor meldrew negative award of Boards.ie Soccer forum goes to....

Looper007 wrote: »
    The victor meldrew negative award of Boards.ie Soccer forum goes to....

It seems to be between me, Johnny and Button.
    Still waiting on the last few votes to be counted :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I'm voting Ramsey :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Interesting that the gap back to Everton - very recently tipped to overtake Arsenal for 4th, is the exact gap between us and City. Yet some would believe that we have had a disastrous season, never in with a shout and faded badly.

If we go on to win the FA cup I guarantee that the Arsenal players will be feeling a lot better about the year than the Liverpool players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I vote Johnny,

You and button got a bit positive there in the middle of the season.

And looking at this half-full glass in front of me I can see we have done 9 (or is it 10) doubles this season and no one has done the double over us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

You could well finish up with better trophy haul than Liverpool, United and Chelsea combined and Champions League again, so has to be considered a decent season no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

You could well finish up with better trophy haul than Liverpool, United and Chelsea combined and Champions League again, so has to be considered a decent season no?

If we win the cup we have had the second best season without a doubt, big if though lol

If anyone can bottle it we can

Hopefully we go out on Saturday put Hull to the sword, no scoring 1 and then holding out. Go out and finish them off. We must respect them but not be over awed by the event itself.

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Yet some would believe that we have had a disastrous season, never in with a shout and faded badly.

I think the run of 2 wins in 9 league matches, or 3 in 11, with getting put out of the Champions League in that time as well is pretty strong evidence of fading badly.

As for not being in with a shout, we had the same issues as last season and were generally tracking our points from corresponding fixtures, so I didn't fancy us to win the league. Plenty said we choked/faded, implying we were in with a shout, so those two opinions are kinda mutually exclusive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

That's the spirit.

Utd bidding 27m for shaw

Crazy money for a fullback

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Utd bidding 27m for shaw

It's alot alright.

Looks a quality player though and only 18.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Shows how far ahead they are financially, could Arsenal really spend 27m of their budget on an 18 year old full back?

Utd bidding 27m for shaw

They're not afraid to take a punt though.

AdamD wrote: »
    Shows how far ahead they are financially, could Arsenal really spend 27m of their budget on an 18 year old full back?

Makes you wonder what was going on last Summer at OT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Yip, seems crazy but on the other side I guess the intention his he will spend at least 10 years at United and is the long term investment there. Best work out for them!

And no I couldn't see us doing that.

Seems like a panic too me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I guess the most positive thing I can say at this point is that it's really hard to see us going backwards next season.

I mean no-one of inportance bar Bac leaving, everyone a year older and wiser.

I feel fairly confidant that 79 points is our starting point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Seems like a panic too me

Why? Utd desperately need a left back. He's young, English and has shown huge potential. If the don't sign him quick someone else will. Plus, a good show at the WC if he goes could see all the other top clubs in Europe after him.

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Why? Utd desperately need a left back. He's young, English and has shown huge potential. If the don't sign him quick someone else will. Plus, a good show at the WC if he goes could see all the other top clubs in Europe after him.

He is 18 had one decent season and he is a fullback
    27m is stupid money for a fullback

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Probably, but the place would go into total meltdown if he had a bad run of games. Look at Jenkinson. Widely derided at the moment but performed well when we needed him. Same goes for any young players we have e.g. Ramsey.

At the same time 27m is a lot of money for any 18 year old especially based on one season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

56m was stupid money for Cavani. 85m was stupid money for Bale. We live in an era of stupid bids with PSG City and Chelsea around. Fannying about with low bids fr players has Utd in their current predicament. They,ve learned a lesson from last summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Its not completely ridiculous, all depends on how much they have left to get themselves a centre mid and a centre back.

For instance if Arsenal did it, it would be silly as I seriously doubt it would leave them enough to spend on the rest of the team, United can probably afford this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

I think United could well end up with Fabregas this summer too unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Well lads, i know our seasons not over yet - a little matter of a final to win next weekend and a monkey to remove from our backs and stomp on his stupid monkey face. But I'd like to give my 5 positives and 5 negatives from the season - I'd like to read yours if you have the inclination to write them for us.

Positives:

1) Aaron Ramsey.
    Before he got injured A-Ram as he's known was simply put the best midfielder in the league. Sure, yaya Toure's immense, but Rambo was right up there with him. He runs all day. He tackles. He threatens. He shoots he scores, he models, he's a smasher. And I had previously thought he was decidedly meh. Now he's crucial.
    2) Signing Mesut Ozil.
    Cast your minds back to the summer window. I spent most of it in a stage of pre-meltdown. All that money in the bank and nobody bought. Spurs spent 110m. (little did we know they'd spent it on crap). We were beat by Villa. Dark Days. Then on the last day we only went and bought Mesut Ozil. Magic.
    3) First 20 mins vs Napoli
    We came out of the gates swinging, swinging big punches. Best i've seen us play in a long time, napoli were shell shocked, destroyed. We did something similar against bayern until the peno miss took the wind out of our sails. I'd love to see a start like that vs hull next weekend.
    4) Mertscielny
    This pair of dudes, one's a big f*king German, the other wants his own song. They go together like toast and jam. Mert thinks two steps ahead. Kos covers for his lack of pace. Kos is, in my opinion, the finest CB in the league. Contributed massively to our 17 clean sheets in the league - 2nd only to chelsea.
    5) Long term contracts:
    Santi, Rambo, Kos, Mert, Zelalem all signing new long term deals. Very good news for the club. Shame about Bac.

And negatives:

1) the Horrors.
    5-1 vs Liverpool away. A nightmare. I know we beat them in comfort at the emirates, and then we knocked them out of the FA cup. But the 5-1 was a horror show, it could have been 8. Why we didn't sit back and settle for 10-20 mins at 2-0 baffled me. We were mauled, and it affected us in the next game too, where we only got a draw vs United where we should have been doing them. The the horror of horrors, 6-0 vs Chelsea in Wengers 1,000 game. A real kick in the stones. Again, we could only draw the next game too. two of the worst results in recent memory.
    2) the injuries
    Yet again, failure to address the causes of our annual injury crisis result in our annual fall away, and we get the usual "arsenal bottle it" from non arsenal fans. Needs to be sorted Wenger.
    3) the Transfer Windows.
    The summer window - until the last day - was a joke. two free guys. (ok Flamini has worked out to be a really good signing) A likewarm pursuit of Gonzalo Higuain. And the chase of Suarez which was also shoddy. Fair enough Ozil papered over it. Coming into January the squad needed a boost. Olly G was knackered. Theo had just been confirmed out for the season. We needed something to give the squad a boost, a shot in the arm. Wenger signed a 32 year old swede with a broken back who didn't play until march. A real ****ing shambles.
    4) failing to kill Manchester United.
    United were there for the kill. we got 1 point from 6 vs them. They still have the hoodoo over us - this was the season we should have paid them back. Humbled them. Instead they end their worst season in 25 years with a happy 4 points from us. And that skunk scored the winner. How i hate him.
    5) Draws from wins:
    out of our 5 score draws this year, we had the lead in 4: City, Everton, Swansea, Southampton. And in the last 3 we should have held on. If we'd won these it would have 6 more points - which would have us in 2nd now and really would have given us that little boost. Who knows.

Wonder will wilshere make world cup squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I knocked one out for Ramseys goals earlier on. That is all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Before he got injured A-Ram as he's known was simply put the best midfielder in the league.

Mate, loved your post; honestly.

But who the **** calls him A-Ram? Sounds like an Arab dish.

27 million pounds ( and i think eventually shaw will go for over 30m) would make him the 4th most expensive defender of all time. at 18.

the other 3 are Rio : 30m
    Marquinhos: to PSG for 30m (oil club paying oil club premium)
    and Thiago Silva to PSG for 35m - again, premium.

its an awful lot of money for a RB, an awful lot of money for an 18 year old.
    United will spend heavily this summer though, they need CL back asap.

cathalio11 wrote: »
    Mate, loved your post; honestly.

But who the **** calls him A-Ram? Sounds like an Arab dish.

i was joking - no one calls him that :) it's a stupid name :)

• Advertisement

Wonder will wilshere make world cup squad

I say he will, they seriously lack many great players. wish he doesn't so he could get a few weeks rest and get fit for Arsenal next season. Doubt he play in their first 11 to be honest if he does go. The same for Ox, they probably come off the bench.

I think United could well end up with Fabregas this summer too unfortunately.

why would he leave a top quality team for a team in rebuilding plus they haven't got any champions league football, I know it's Man Utd but I doubt they get a few big names until they get top 4 again.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    i was joking - no one calls him that :) it's a stupid name :)

It seems I've got egg on my face then, good sir!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

If he turns out to be as good as he looks like he'll be then he'll stay at Utd for
    10 years+ I'd imagine.

Disregarding wages over such a long period that would be a very sound investment.

Thats one of your back 4 sown up for a decade.

If he turns out to be as good as he looks like he'll be then he'll stay at Utd for
    10 years+ I'd imagine.

Disregarding wages over such a long period that would be a very sound investment.

This is true. 27 million would seem nothing when he's still kicking at 32 and putting in good performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Jacks goal at home to Norwich in MOTDs short list for goal of the season. I'd forgotten what a fookin amazing goal it was :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Paleface

10 years+ I'd imagine.

Its still a big if though. There is no denying that. He just isn't worth that figure right now no matter what way you look at it.

But hey if United want to spend that kind of money on one player then let them do it. I think the same amount of money would be put to much better use in other areas of the pitch for them right now.

Why are people so reluctant to spend money.
    If you have it then spend it.
    If Shaw is a success it will be a good investment. If not then it's only money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

Paleface wrote: »
    Its still a big if though. There is no denying that. He just isn't worth that figure right now no matter what way you look at it.

But hey if United want to spend that kind of money on one player then let them do it. I think the same amount of money would be put to much better use in other areas of the pitch for them right now.

Evra is a liability and leaving.

It's alot of money, but if he turns into a world class left back by age 22, he will be worth more than the 27m they bought him for.

Rooney, Ferdinand had similar fees and they got 10 years out of them.

We can also buy them at that age, but when they hit prime years Madrid/Barca/Oil clubs will take them off us like in the past.

Thought we had turned a corner, but Sagna going is same old.

If Ramsey goes onto being world class over the next 2 years, it will be interesting when Madrid come calling and we are fighting for 4th as usual.

He is the only one in the squad at the moment who is showing that he can reach the next level.

• Advertisement

Do they announce Goal of Season tonight ? :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement