Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

His stats are very good, he's different to Giroud and Ancelotti rates him highly, but he could be off if Ancelotti doesn't give him a bigger role in the team next season.

I'm sure his not being a Galatico doesn't help.

9 goals in 50 games for Real (according to Wikipedia) isn't that great. Now granted, the vast majority will have been coming on as a sub for not many minutes, but I'm not really too convinced by him.

Think I'm still in the Balo camp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

9 goals in 50 games for Real (according to Wikipedia) isn't that great. Now granted, the vast majority will have been coming on as a sub for not many minutes, but I'm not really too convinced by him.

Think I'm still in the Balo camp.

Maybe not as our main man, but a back up would be handy.

Otherwise Griezmann, Balotelli ,Martinez and Aurier as four main signings would be serious business.

How much could we get Balo for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Maybe not as our main man, but a back up would be handy.

Otherwise Griezmann, Balotelli ,Martinez and Aurier as four main signings would be serious business.

How much could we get Balo for?

That would be some glorious business. If we just did that and kept Vermaelen and everyone else bar Sagna and Fabianski, and replaced Fabianski adequately, we'd win the league next year, or very close to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

I really think Remy would be leathal for us, would love if Szczesny convinced his best mate to come over.

1454609_248966611924736_942050710_n.jpg

Edit: Apologies, didnt realise that photo was obnoxiously big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Maire2009 wrote: »
    Good goal return for Torino this season but don't know much about him. What type of forward is he?

Pacy, good movement.

If I was to compare him to someone...i'd say Cavani or Tevez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Linked to Barca's Sanchez. Think he would be ideal. Can play on the right and maybe even up front.
    Great player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

dvemail wrote: »
    Linked to Barca's Sanchez. Think he would be ideal. Can play on the right and maybe even up front.
    Great player.

Sanchez or Pedro would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronjo

Sanchez or Pedro would be great.

Pedro is a bit of a diving little bollix though..... Would like Sanchez alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Sanchez and Remy would be good solid signings but we still need a world class striker and top defensive midfielder, if we got that and a RB to replace Sagna. Then I would be very happy and confident but if we signed only Remy and Sanchez I would be very disappointed, not enough quality in those signings to win the league. Next season is a must we become a world class team and go out and win the league.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Cavani please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Silly season started today in the papers

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Silly season started today in the papers

Of course, what did you expect? They have to sell something.

Over the next few months, here's what's going to be in the newspapers.

Primarily season in review articles for the rest of this week, with some baseless speculation on player transfers.
    FA Cup in review articles next week, with some baseless speculation on player transfers.
    World Cup build up, with some baseless speculation on player transfers, including speculation of what might happen if players have a good world cup.
    World Cup coverage, with a reduced amount of baseless speculation on player transfers.
    World Cup in review articles, with some baseless speculation on player transfers, including speculation of what might happen now based on how players performed in the world cup.
    A dry period, where there is no football related news worth mentioning, but regardless, loads more baseless speculation on player transfers.
    Pre season preview articles, speculating on how managers and teams should do, and what players they should buy according to the author.
    Start of season articles, praising teams for completing any transfers early, regardless of quality. Teams that spend 100+ on players are judged to be on the up.
    Post transfer window, articles on how some teams are now unstoppable, with massive predictions for the rest of the season. Complaints made about any team that didn't "do the business".

Later on, all previous predictions are totally ignored if the author got them wrong, while if the author got them right, then they are the second coming of Cassandra.

I'm a total f***ing cynic.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Come home Agent Sherwood, a job well done. He's left apparently, I've no further information.

Poor guy. Was always only going to be until the summer, but I think he actually believed that if he was good enough, then he'd get the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

iZ0ieildDHly7.gif

:pac:

BngzD41IIAE2k1F.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭hsbc

Michah Richards as a replacement for Sagna anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

hsbc wrote: »

Nah. Don't think there's a whole lot to him bar physique tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

I actually like Tim Sheerwood, he seems like a decent character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

hsbc wrote: »

I'd much prefer to keep Sagna than to bring in Richards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Richards would be a great addition to the team, is he available on a free this summer? It wasnt long ago that he was been touted as one of the best defensive prospects in England but injury seemed to curtail his progress somewhat. Hes only 26 and can play anywhere across the back 4 which is another plus.

On another note, are ITV showing the match on Saturday and what time is kick off. Gonna watch this in the house pull the curtains and swamp a tray of beer :D Cant really watch the game and all the build up to it in the boozer properly.

Richards injury record would make me very nervous. We'd likely be asking Jenkinson to play a lot of games.

Actually, his injury record is worse than I thought. 115 appearances in the last 5 seasons? No thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Actually, his injury record is worse than I thought. 115 appearances in the last 5 seasons? No thanks.

His injury record isnt that bad actually, apart from a knee op that kept him out for 5 months a few years back he hasnt really had any long term injurys and was pretty much available all season. His lack of appearances would be down to not been selected more than injuries. I like the lad he seems to have a good attitude and gives it 100% every game. Plus I think hes an Arsenal fan too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

Germany are playing Poland tonight in a warm up game before the World Cup. The Germans will be using a largely inexperienced squad with younger players! Poland likewise! With the German and English Cup Finals still ahead it's a chance for their younger players to shine! No Gnabry unfortunately!

http://www.dw.de/germany-vs-poland-more-useful-to-l%C3%B6w-than-you-might-think/a-17630809

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Sagna wanted 3 years.. he fought for 3 year contract... when offered it he said no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Richards would be a fantastic option for us. I'd snap him up in a heart beat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

DenMan wrote: »
    Germany are playing Poland tonight in a warm up game before the World Cup. The Germans will be using a largely inexperienced squad with younger players! Poland likewise! With the German and English Cup Finals still ahead it's a chance for their younger players to shine! No Gnabry unfortunately!

http://www.dw.de/germany-vs-poland-more-useful-to-l%C3%B6w-than-you-might-think/a-17630809

Is Gnabry injured? he looked really promising in some games this season, Palace and Swansea away spring to mind. Shame we haven't seen more of him, especially with Walcott and Ox out for so long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Per has opened a BFG gift shop! Want this mug :pac:

prod.jpg?b=11094412&v=1400018419

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

For anyone expecting transfers to be done nice and early, you're fooling yourself.

It's a World Cup year meaning the majority of business won't be done until afterwards. Plus, we have a Champions League qualifier to deal with. That is more important than people think. Would Özil have signed had we been knocked out? Highly unlikely.

I'll be shocked if we make any big signings before both of those are done and dusted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    For anyone expecting transfers to be done nice and early, you're fooling yourself.

It's a World Cup year meaning the majority of business won't be done until afterwards. Plus, we have a Champions League qualifier to deal with. That is more important than people think. Would Özil have signed had we been knocked out? Highly unlikely.

I'll be shocked if we make any big signings before both of those are done and dusted.

This is pure Arsenal though and drives me nuts. Those are not valid excuses for not getting transfers done. Costa to Chelsea and Shaw to United are already in the works. The CL qualifier one in particularly is ****ing nuts.

• Advertisement

We've got fairly massive revenue now so we can fund transfers regardless of the CL qualifier (and this was the case last year too, Gazidis admitted as much). Not to mention getting your transfer business done early improves your chances of actually winning the thing and making a sharp start to the season.

AdamD wrote: »
    This is pure Arsenal though and drives me nuts. Those are not valid excuses for not getting transfers done. Costa to Chelsea and Shaw to United are already in the works. The CL qualifier one in particularly is ****ing nuts.

Neither of those teams have a Champions League qualifier. Costa and Shaw know what they are getting. Our targets don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

There are plenty of players out there who aren't taking part in the World Cup as well. Being an optimist I am hoping that we do some business early this year. (There I go again setting myself up for another kick in the nuts from Arsenal!!).

Neither of those teams have a Champions League qualifier. Costa and Shaw know what they are getting. Our targets don't.
    How is the uncertainty of a CL qualifier less attractive than no CL football at all? :p

We've got fairly massive revenue now so we can fund transfers regardless of the CL qualifier (and this was the case last year too, Gazidis admitted as much). Not to mention getting your transfer business done early improves your chances of actually winning the thing and making a sharp start to the season.

Nothing to do with funds. A top quality player won't want to go to a Europa League side when they could go to a Champions League one instead. Especially if they are already at a Champions League side.

It really is that important.

How is the uncertainty of a CL qualifier less attractive than no CL football at all? :p

I'd hope we are aiming a little higher than a potential one season wonder :pac:

Nothing to do with funds. A top quality player won't want to go to a Europa League side when they could go to a Champions League one instead. Especially if they are already at a Champions League side.

It really is that important.
    I don't think it is. If Gazidis and co can't sell it as a formality then they're incompetent. A two legged tie against a comparative minnow, a situation we've comfortably handled for years with weaker teams? I don't think there are many top players who'll be overly fazed by the prospect. Certainly didn't seem to worry Suarez much last summer.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Absolutely no reason why we can't get our business done before the last few weeks of the window imo. We keep hearing excuses that only seem to apply to Arsenal and no other club and I'm sick of it. It's time the club showed they really mean business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

We've never lost a CL qualifier. Its a pathetic excuse tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Just in case people have forgotten we play a Cup Final on saturday. May be a small mitigating factor with the lack of rumours associated with us. Hopefully we will hear something between next monday and the world cup. I would expect us to get one or two deals through anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Just in case people have forgotten we play a Cup Final on saturday. May be a small mitigating factor with the lack of rumours associated with us. Hopefully we will hear something between next monday and the world cup. I would expect us to get one or two deals through anyway.

I'm sure people dont expect us to be doing business at the minute with Saturday in mind, that should be the only focus of the club.

I think what others are discussing is as a side to the FA Cup if the club needs to wait until CL qualification is done. For me its a lame excuse and surprised some supporters buy into it still. The desire to push forward next season should be irrelevant to CL football and if you really want a player they will come with the aim of being involved in and securing CL football

This is the make or break summer for Wenger and the board imo. Dont do the necessary business and i wont have any faith in them and want a change. No lame excuses anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,502 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Soups123 wrote: »
    I'm sure people dont expect us to be doing business at the minute with Saturday in mind, that should be the only focus of the club.

I think what others are discussing is as a side to the FA Cup if the club needs to wait until CL qualification is done. For me its a lame excuse and surprised some supporters buy into it still. The desire to push forward next season should be irrelevant to CL football and if you really want a player they will come with the aim of being involved in and securing CL football

Chelsea are not waiting for the Cl to be done. Lame excuse this waiting business. If there are targets then get the business done early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Chelsea are not waiting for the Cl to be done. Lame excuse this waiting business. If there are targets then get the business done early.

I agree but have very little faith in this being the case and see this place meltdown central like last summer all over again whilst the club dawdles over transfers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

I agree but have very little faith in this being the case and see this place meltdown central like last summer all over again whilst the club dawdles over transfers.

And rightly so, meltdown central will be fully warranted if we have another groundhog day summer transfer window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Soups123 wrote: »

I do think there is a middle ground on this one.

For a transfer such as Aurier, it shouldn't be dependent on CL qualification given where he is coming from or even the likes of Balotelli who may not have any European football where he is. Similarly, if a player wants a move (maybe Di Maria) then it won't be an issue.

But for a certain calibre of players - Javi Martinez, Jackson Martinez, Edison Cavani, Benzema - it may well be an issue to be considered. So really we should see some transfers asap but it may be late in the window for the big one, if there is going to be a big one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

I have no problem with there being no rumours. I have no problem if it takes till the end of July/early august for something to happen. However, past form would indicate that we're likely to be waiting until very close to the end of the window for anything big to happen. That's what annoys me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

2 years ago Podolski was signed very early, Cazorla and Giroud sometime after and all before we sold RVP. Last year was bad but we shouldn't let it cloud our judgement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Getting ready for Saturday in the Mercantile we got our flag so wear your colours bring flags and we will try to put them up

Flag_zps69ad7fdd.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

Chelsea are going to have to change their entire game to accommodate Costa imo! I'd say that's why they gave a new year to Terry. Their defense may struggle playing a more forward game!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement