Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

DenMan wrote: »
    Chelsea are going to have to change their entire game to accommodate Costa imo! I'd say that's why they gave a new year to Terry. Their defense may struggle playing a more forward game!

I imagine that Mourinho will force Costa to adapt his game to suit his way, a la Mata, Hazard etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

I don't think Costa or Chelsea will have to change anything. Atletico already play a defensive style similar to Chelsea with Costa being used as a target man/runner.

If anything he's the perfect striker for Chelsea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Angel Di Maria anyone? We are been linked to him in Marca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭djan

wawaman wrote: »
    Angel Di Maria anyone? We are been linked to him in Marca.

That would be amazing. A proper world class winger that can shoot and is a hard worker real would be mad to sell him but sure who here expected Özil :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Kalou has had a good season

I joke I joke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Kalou or Gourcuff.

I'd take both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Kalou has had a good season

I joke I joke
    cathalio11 wrote: »
    Kalou or Gourcuff.

I'd take both.

this-ends-now-o.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Throw in Yann M'Vila too and we're good to go. Whats Miguel Veloso doing these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Was just thinking about M'Vila yesterday, how's he doing in Russia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Wenger had his press conference this morning. Vermaelen and Chamberlain are still a doubt for the final. Everybody else is fit.
    He wouldn't give any info as to who will start up front or in goals, Hope he goes Giroud and Szecz, gotta take no chances.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I wouldn't consider starting Fabianski as taking a chance at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I think Fabianski deserves to start after his semi final heroics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Szczęsny has a future at the club, Fabianski does not.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I wouldn't consider starting Fabianski as taking a chance at all.

It is a risk in that you would be starting a player of lesser quality.

Szczęsny has a future at the club, Fabianski does not.

Thats true as well but I would really feel for him if he doesnt get the nod. Hes a very good keeper and a superb professional not once has he complained about his lack of first team action which is a credit to the lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

dvemail wrote: »
    It is a risk in that you would be starting a player of lesser quality.

I think with his appearances in the cup this season as well as the Champions League, Fabianski has proved there's very little to chose between them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,121 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Thats true as well but I would really feel for him if he doesnt get the nod. Hes a very good keeper and a superb professional not once has he complained about his lack of first team action which is a credit to the lad.
    It's also the biggest game of his career to date so it'd good experience for the keeper who will be staying and will be more valuable to us with this experience. Thanks to Fab and credit where it's due but this cup has the potential to be make or break for a lot of things.

Pressure is on, I want my #1 between the sticks,

Fabianski convert here too.

Don't get the insistence that Szcz should play coming from the like of Arseblog.

Sure he's probably a better keeper, but (and a big but imo) Fabianski has shown he can handle himself in high pressure matches. I don't think Szcz has covered himself in glory in that aspect.

The last cup final defeat was his and Kos fault iirc.

The hammerings by all the big teams away.

The red card he received at the Euro's.

I honestly think at this stage Fabianski would be well up and ready for the final.

greendom wrote: »
    I think with his appearances in the cup this season as well as the Champions League, Fabianski has proved there's very little to chose between them.

No doubting he is a quality keeper to have, but there is a reason he is second choice.
    And for our biggest game in god knows how many years, I want to see our best keeper playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Gringo180 wrote: »
    I think Fabianski deserves to start after his semi final heroics.
    Quazzie wrote: »
    It's also the biggest game of his career to date so it'd good experience for the keeper who will be staying and will be more valuable to us with this experience. Thanks to Fab and credit where it's due but this cup has the potential to be make or break for a lot of things.

Pressure is on, I want my #1 between the sticks,

I agree with both posts. I think we could rely on both to do the job for us. Both are good professional keepers and I expect would accept whatever decision is made. Glad I'm not Wenger but very glad I'm a Gooner.

C'mon Saturday.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Omeceron

Don't get the insistence that Szcz should play coming from the like of Arseblog.

Sure he's probably a better keeper, but (and a big but imo) Fabianski has shown he can handle himself in high pressure matches. I don't think Szcz has covered himself in glory in that aspect.

I honestly think at this stage Fabianski would be well up and ready for the final.

Fabianski has made plently of mistakes if you want to go back through their careers.

1st choice team has to play.

You can't honestly blame Szecz for our whole teams short comings in those big away matches. Wasn't his fault we were torn apart in those games.

Agree Pappa I actually would be more confident with Fabianski starting. With him been that few years older he is more mature and experienced than Chesney who as you said seems to have moments of madness in games. Dont forget his red card v Bayern too, its those sort of bad decisions that are the difference between winning and losing. Not to say Ches is a bad keeper I think he had a superb season and will get better in years to come.

Omeceron wrote: »
    Fabianski has made plently of mistakes if you want to go back through their careers.

1st choice team has to play.

I'm no saying he hasn't at all! He well deserved the name Flappyhandski!

But he has improved remarkably. And as I said, he hasn't wigged out in a long time. To me he has proven through the cup campaign that he should be the one between the sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronjo

Fabianski will surely play.
    Why else would he have played last Sunday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

ronjo wrote: »

Because Wenger didn't want to risk injury to Scez?

ronjo wrote: »

Either getting some game time or he could also be letting him have a final farewell.
    Who knows what goes through Wengers head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

It only seems fair to play Fab. And I think whoever goes in won't make a difference to the end result. But it would be handy for szczesny to get some experience in a final as I'm sure we will be in a few in the near future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

You know what, let's avoid all these arguments and just go with Viviano.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I'd start Szszesny. Guy's gonna be here for the next decade, he needs the cup final experience and hopefully the cup winning experience. He also has a better understanding with our defence. Holding a mistake from 3 years ago (when he was 21) is a bit much. On Arsecast they went through some previous cup finals, both Seaman and Lehmann have come in for finals having not played during the tournament so wouldn't be surprised if Wenger plays Woj.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

I think it's a 50/50 call really. There are reasons for playing either of them and both of them are top quality keepers. So I'll be content with whatever decision Wenger makes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Would anyone have any problems if one keeper started and was subbed at half time? Waste of a substitution, I know, but both sides have merit in this argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

CatInABox wrote: »
    Would anyone have any problems if one keeper started and was subbed at half time? Waste of a substitution, I know, but both sides have merit in this argument.

That would be absolutely ridiculous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The sentimentalist me says that Fabianski should get the nod as he helped get us there but the hard hearted fan says that Szczesny is the no.1 and is committed to us next year so he should get the nod. To be honest I am comfortable that either will put a good shift between the sticks so the goalkeeper position is not a concern for me on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

gandalf wrote: »
    The sentimentalist me says that Fabianski should get the nod as he helped get us there but the hard hearted fan says that Szczesny is the no.1 and is committed to us next year so he should get the nod. To be honest I am comfortable that either will put a good shift between the sticks so the goalkeeper position is not a concern for me on Saturday.

We havent won a trophy in X years sentinment is out the window for me, we MUST play our strongest 11 and thats means Chez starts. Fab has been brilliant when needed this year but the consistency of playing with the first choice back four sits with Chez. If we were winning trophies regular and had something in the bag this year then I may allow sentiment but this is without doubt the most important game for the club in a long long time, we need to get the 'haven't won a trophy' tag off our back.

Same up front it would be incompetent to not start the inform Giroud.

Wenger will make the right calls I am sure of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Soups123 wrote: »
    We havent won a trophy in X years sentinment is out the window for me, we MUST play our strongest 11 and thats means Chez starts. Fab has been brilliant when needed this year but the consistency of playing with the first choice back four sits with Chez. If we were winning trophies regular and had something in the bag this year then I may allow sentiment but this is without doubt the most important game for the club in a long long time, we need to get the 'haven't won a trophy' tag off our back.

IMO, Fab should start. Wenger will start him I will wager.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

DenMan wrote: »

Thanks for the reminder. I had it in my head that it was next Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Soups123 wrote: »

Whilst I agree I feel if szczesny were to cock up he would really suffer for it along with wenger too. You could argue that if fab cocked up then he could be forgiven somewhat as he got us there in the first place. It's a tough one but I believe wenger starting fab at Norwich means he starts on Saturday.

Despite talk of cock ups I'm actually strangely very confident and in fact I think we'll win with a bit to spare. I'm not getting nervous at all which is unlike me for such big games! In saying that I'll have to consume some alcohol pre kick off (medicinal purposes of course).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Thanks for the reminder. I had it in my head that it was next Wednesday.

ITV4 and TV3 have it on. 7:45pm KO.

• Advertisement

Apparently we have activated the buy back clause of 4 million on Carlos Velas contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Apparently we have activated the buy back clause of 4 million on Carlos Velas contract.

Source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Feck it thats the wrong buy back clause I wanted us to activate!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

http://vimeo.com/95171659

Much maligned and criticised (harsly imo) Wilshere. Hopefully fit enough to play a part in the final. When fit and firing hes brilliant. Love 3:35, cut Bayern apart.

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    IMO, Fab should start. Wenger will start him I will wager.

Our best keeper should start, thats Fab if we dont win Sunday and Fab is to blame or Giroud not starting is to blame then all hell will brake lose

I dont mind eitherway as I am going to enjoy if for what it is but this is a FA Cup final and our strongest team starts and for all of this season that has meant Chez that shouldnt change Sunday

omega man wrote: »
    Whilst I agree I feel if szczesny were to cock up he would really suffer for it along with wenger too. You could argue that if fab cocked up then he could be forgiven somewhat as he got us there in the first place. It's a tough one but I believe wenger starting fab at Norwich means he starts on Saturday.

Despite talk of cock ups I'm actually strangely very confident and in fact I think we'll win with a bit to spare. I'm not getting nervous at all which is unlike me for such big games! In saying that I'll have to consume some alcohol pre kick off (medicinal purposes of course).

Would be a very incompentant reason to drop Fab if this was his thinking! I'm not as nervous myself fckin living for Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronjo

dfbemt wrote: »
    Because Wenger didn't want to risk injury to Scez?

I dont buy it. Far more chance of an outfield player being injured. Surely he would have rested Giroud and Ozil if that was his worry.
    Either getting some game time or he could also be letting him have a final farewell.
    Who knows what goes through Wengers head.

I reckon its the former...... He could wave at the crowd like the rest of them after.

Of course I could be wrong :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

It really would set a bad example if we stuck Szcz ahead of Fabianski for the final. I'm pretty sure both played the whole season under the impression that Szcz gets the PL/CL and Fab gets the FA cup. He's done very well to get us to the final and he deserves his chance. Nothing short of a model professional and would definitely start for half of the PL clubs still around yet hasn't complained at all.

Let him have his reward. I would like to believe Szcz will have plenty of chances to win trophies in the next 10 years anyway so this should be a non-argument really.

It really would set a bad example if we stuck Szcz ahead of Fabianski for the final. I'm pretty sure both played the whole season under the impression that Szcz gets the PL/CL and Fab gets the FA cup. He's done very well to get us to the final and he deserves his chance. Nothing short of a model professional and would definitely start for half of the PL clubs still around yet hasn't complained at all.

Let him have his reward. I would like to believe Szcz will have plenty of chances to win trophies in the next 10 years anyway so this should be a non-argument really.

Do you think its more important for Arsenal to be sentimental or more important that they win the game? Do you agree the strongest 11 players should take the field?

Just wondering this is very light hearted on my side as I love Fab and would love to see him stay but I think a club our size has to target the win first

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement