Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

Regardless of who gets the nod, im confident that either Szczęsny or Fabianski will get the job done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

The article on Vela is interesting. It says that Sociedad had the option to sell Vela and pass the required % onto Arsenal but they chose not to.

It is not clear whether the player will join the Arsenal squad or be sold on. Shame he wasn't used as a bargaining tool for Griezmann.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Soups123 wrote: »
    Do you think its more important for Arsenal to be sentimental or more important that they win the game? Do you agree the strongest 11 players should take the field?

Just wondering this is very light hearted on my side as I love Fab and would love to see him stay but I think a club our size has to target the win first

I'm kind of taking it as a given that we'll win which is very dangerous territory!

Yeah I agree we should field our best 11 but in my view the goalkeeper will not be the difference between winning and losing. It's all about if the lads decide to turn up or not. On that basis I think in the interest of fairness Fabianski deserves his place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

greendom wrote: »
    The article on Vela is interesting. It says that Sociedad had the option to sell Vela and pass the required % onto Arsenal but they chose not to.

It is not clear whether the player will join the Arsenal squad or be sold on. Shame he wasn't used as a bargaining tool for Griezmann.

Before I say anything I have to admit I haven't seen either play this season.

Just looking at whoscored.com

Vela: 34 games, 15 goals 12 assists, 7.45 rating.
    Griezmann 30 games, 16 goals, 3 assists, 7.23 rating.

Maybe somebody who watches them can fill me in but 4m for Vela or 20m+ for Griezmann?

Main issue is that Vela's a RW and Griezmann's a LW? Definitely need a LW more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Noo

I'm kind of taking it as a given that we'll win which is very dangerous territory! .

Ooooh you've gone and done it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I'm kind of taking it as a given that we'll win which is very dangerous territory!

Yeah I agree we should field our best 11 but in my view the goalkeeper will not be the difference between winning and losing. It's all about if the lads decide to turn up or not. On that basis I think in the interest of fairness Fabianski deserves his place.

A given? some people are a gluten for punishment.

Agree it may not come down to the goalie and Fab was our saviour in the semi but I just feel this is too important and we need to give the players a clear sign this means everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Sweet mother of god don't say stuff like that!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

dvemail wrote: »
    Apparently we have activated the buy back clause of 4 million on Carlos Velas contract.

If true I hope its as a back up striker I dont think he is strong enough to lead the line for us.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    If true I hope its as a back up striker I dont think he is strong enough to lead the line for us.

It may just be to sell him on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronjo

AdamD wrote: »
    Before I say anything I have to admit I haven't seen either play this season.

Just looking at whoscored.com

Vela: 34 games, 15 goals 12 assists, 7.45 rating.
    Griezmann 30 games, 16 goals, 3 assists, 7.23 rating.

Maybe somebody who watches them can fill me in but 4m for Vela or 20m+ for Griezmann?

Main issue is that Vela's a RW and Griezmann's a LW? Definitely need a LW more.

Vela had those stats this season?
    Carlos Vela?
    The chap who used to play for us??????

Bloody hell !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

AdamD wrote: »
    http://vimeo.com/95171659

Much maligned and criticised (harsly imo) Wilshere. Hopefully fit enough to play a part in the final. When fit and firing hes brilliant. Love 3:35, cut Bayern apart.

He's such an amazingly talented player people have very high expectations of him. Sometimes, I think he tries too hard.

Hopefully next season he can stay clear of injury and get a good run of games together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

Retired at just 33. He always played well against us!

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27404603

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

We could always buy Vela for 4 million buy back, then sell him back to Soicedad for 25 million, then use that money to buy Griezman off them. Here I should be head of transfer policy, that fits in perfectly with our penny pinching philosophy and is devious in the extreme.

ETA: Greendom, are we on the same wavelength?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Pretty sure you can't buy and sell a player in the same window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Dimechils moved from Malaga to Atletico and then on to City all in the summer window last year.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think vela would be a decent acquisition. Should be a good squad player and has the potential to be more. I'd imagine he'll be played more as a winger than striker though. Should have activated the clause in January to cover Theo's injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Get Vela back.

Just so I can find my old 'Vela 12' jersey and get some wear out of it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Frisbee wrote: »
    Get Vela back.

Just so I can find my old 'Vela 12' jersey and get some wear out of it :pac:

I have one of those too. Went to Elverys and they had so few letters available, I had to go with Vela :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Im in the Chesney camp for Saturday. He is the long term future of the Club and one cannot underestimate the boost a Cup win will give all our players. Last thing we need is him on the outside and not getting that boost.

Fabianski is leaving, loyalty does not come into this. It must be about what is best for Arsenal. Surely the best thing for Arsenal is to play their No.1 Goalkeeper who could be hear for his entire career. Not starting him jeopardises that.

I think the Giroud/Sanogo question is still up in the air!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Im in the Chesney camp for Saturday. He is the long term future of the Club and one cannot underestimate the boost a Cup win will give all our players. Last thing we need is him on the outside and not getting that boost.

Fabianski is leaving, loyalty does not come into this. It must be about what is best for Arsenal. Surely the best thing for Arsenal is to play their No.1 Goalkeeper who could be hear for his entire career. Not starting him jeopardises that.

I think the Giroud/Sanogo question is still up in the air!!

I'm in the Chesney camp aswell. He's the better keeper, current number 1 and potentially the number 1 for years to come.

I don't know how anyone could argue for starting Sanogo over Giroud. Sanago has never even scored for the club and people want him to start in our most important game in years, madness!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

shano_88 wrote: »
    I'm in the Chesney camp aswell. He's the better keeper, current number 1 and potentially the number 1 for years to come.

I don't know how anyone could argue for starting Sanogo over Giroud. Sanago has never even scored for the club and people want him to start in our most important game in years, madness!

Oh I am not arguing it I mean that Wenger could throw that curveball. Be mad but I wouldnt be all that shocked if he does.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Honestly don't think it will have an effect on the outcome of game regardless which keeper gets picked. If scez starts and provided the game goes well I'd like to see fab come in in injury time to get his medal, same for scez if fab starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

The dilemma for the keeper, I can understand.
    But how come we discuss the possibility of Giroud not starting on Sunday in favour of Sanogo? Is anybody in here seriously think that Wenger would try such an experiment?

Top scorer has to start. He's played very well the last while too.

WTF Giroud has to start! Sanogo can come on in the 80th minute if we are winning!

gandalf wrote: »
    WTF Giroud has to start! Sanogo can come on in the 80th minute if we are winning!

I suppose the only reason to start with Sanogo would be to have a repeat of the Everton game, where he did his headless chicken bit for 60 minutes or so running the Everton defenders ragged and then to bring the composure of Giroud on to finish them off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

greendom wrote: »
    I suppose the only reason to start with Sanogo would be to have a repeat of the Everton game, where he did his headless chicken bit for 60 minutes or so running the Everton defenders ragged and then to bring the composure of Giroud on to finish them off.

In the Everton game, if I recall correctly, we didn't have either Ramsey or Özil. I believe we are a completely different team with the two of them.
    Plus, I don't see the point in playing cat and mouse. Hull can do that if they want, we should go in and make sure that we score a quick one to set things straight.

Irish Aris wrote: »
    In the Everton game, if I recall correctly, we didn't have either Ramsey or Özil. I believe we are a completely different team with the two of them.
    Plus, I don't see the point in playing cat and mouse. Hull can do that if they want, we should go in and make sure that we score a quick one to set things straight.

Thought Ozil was MOTM in the cup game. that was the last game he played for a while and was another nail in our not winning the league coffin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Now come on, you know those rules only refer to small clubs. We should be ok.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

• Advertisement

This sums it up for me. Massive money.

Raphael Honigstein ‏@honigstein 5m Bayern Munich (1st) received £30m in TV money for 13/14, Cardiff City (20th) £62m. Difference between Bundesliga and PL... (via @flopumuc)

The relegated clubs must be in dream-land! (over £60million each)

DenMan wrote: »
    The relegated clubs must be in dream-land! (over £60million each)

Yeah but what do they get next year in the Championship in contrast to that?

Yeah but what do they get next year in the Championship in contrast to that?

Championship clubs who are not in receipt of parachute payments get £2.3million per annum according to here. It was hard finding it on google though!

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/mar/19/premier-league-championship-tv-deal

Wonder will this extra dosh will go towards some summer signings.

It will make fellow EPL clubs less likely to sell as there will be less of a need to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,500 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭handsfree

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Well lads, i know our seasons not over yet - a little matter of a final to win next weekend and a monkey to remove from our backs and stomp on his stupid monkey face. But I'd like to give my 5 positives and 5 negatives from the season - I'd like to read yours if you have the inclination to write them for us.

Positives:

1) Aaron Ramsey.
    Before he got injured A-Ram as he's known was simply put the best midfielder in the league. Sure, yaya Toure's immense, but Rambo was right up there with him. He runs all day. He tackles. He threatens. He shoots he scores, he models, he's a smasher. And I had previously thought he was decidedly meh. Now he's crucial.
    2) Signing Mesut Ozil.
    Cast your minds back to the summer window. I spent most of it in a stage of pre-meltdown. All that money in the bank and nobody bought. Spurs spent 110m. (little did we know they'd spent it on crap). We were beat by Villa. Dark Days. Then on the last day we only went and bought Mesut Ozil. Magic.
    3) First 20 mins vs Napoli
    We came out of the gates swinging, swinging big punches. Best i've seen us play in a long time, napoli were shell shocked, destroyed. We did something similar against bayern until the peno miss took the wind out of our sails. I'd love to see a start like that vs hull next weekend.
    4) Mertscielny
    This pair of dudes, one's a big f*king German, the other wants his own song. They go together like toast and jam. Mert thinks two steps ahead. Kos covers for his lack of pace. Kos is, in my opinion, the finest CB in the league. Contributed massively to our 17 clean sheets in the league - 2nd only to chelsea.
    5) Long term contracts:
    Santi, Rambo, Kos, Mert, Zelalem all signing new long term deals. Very good news for the club. Shame about Bac.

And negatives:

1) the Horrors.
    5-1 vs Liverpool away. A nightmare. I know we beat them in comfort at the emirates, and then we knocked them out of the FA cup. But the 5-1 was a horror show, it could have been 8. Why we didn't sit back and settle for 10-20 mins at 2-0 baffled me. We were mauled, and it affected us in the next game too, where we only got a draw vs United where we should have been doing them. The the horror of horrors, 6-0 vs Chelsea in Wengers 1,000 game. A real kick in the stones. Again, we could only draw the next game too. two of the worst results in recent memory.
    2) the injuries
    Yet again, failure to address the causes of our annual injury crisis result in our annual fall away, and we get the usual "arsenal bottle it" from non arsenal fans. Needs to be sorted Wenger.
    3) the Transfer Windows.
    The summer window - until the last day - was a joke. two free guys. (ok Flamini has worked out to be a really good signing) A likewarm pursuit of Gonzalo Higuain. And the chase of Suarez which was also shoddy. Fair enough Ozil papered over it. Coming into January the squad needed a boost. Olly G was knackered. Theo had just been confirmed out for the season. We needed something to give the squad a boost, a shot in the arm. Wenger signed a 32 year old swede with a broken back who didn't play until march. A real ****ing shambles.
    4) failing to kill Manchester United.
    United were there for the kill. we got 1 point from 6 vs them. They still have the hoodoo over us - this was the season we should have paid them back. Humbled them. Instead they end their worst season in 25 years with a happy 4 points from us. And that skunk scored the winner. How i hate him.
    5) Draws from wins:
    out of our 5 score draws this year, we had the lead in 4: City, Everton, Swansea, Southampton. And in the last 3 we should have held on. If we'd won these it would have 6 more points - which would have us in 2nd now and really would have given us that little boost. Who knows.

Are you Arseblog?

Lads, wondering what your feelings are about Sagna being selected for the FA Cup final?
    On the back of the whole contract issue; just watching the sports news there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Lads, wondering what your feelings are about Sagna being selected for the FA Cup final?
    On the back of the whole contract issue; just watching the sports news there.

He should start. He's been a loyal servant to the club and deserves to win some silverware before he leaves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Kerry Gooner

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Kalou has had a good season

I joke I joke

Hope Wenger doesn't share your sense of humour

Well we have managed to lose to these in FA cup finals :
    Cardiff
    Newcastle twice
    Leeds
    Ipswich
    West Ham

What about our favourite Danish TV World Cup pundit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭dinorebel

What about our favourite Danish TV World Cup pundit
    He can stay in the commentary box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Four day weekend :D

Hopefully it will be to celebrate rather than sulk!

For what it's worth, I'd go with Fabianski. What kind of message would it send to the other players if he was dropped? Thanks for getting us to the final, enjoy watching from the bench? Full confidence in both men either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Any low hanging fruit people think we should sign?, real 2 + 2 stuff I mean. just reading on 365 that Lescott says he is done with City and I was thinking he would be a great signing, I know he wouldn't start and for that reason won't be coming as thats really why he's leaving city but just wondering who else people think would be a good signing (not realistic just for fun ) from people being released this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

salmocab wrote: »
    Any low hanging fruit people think we should sign?, real 2 + 2 stuff I mean. just reading on 365 that Lescott says he is done with City and I was thinking he would be a great signing, I know he wouldn't start and for that reason won't be coming as thats really why he's leaving city but just wondering who else people think would be a good signing (not realistic just for fun ) from people being released this summer.

I would be quite happy with Lescott on a Free, as long as he is not looking for silly wages. Would be ideal for all them lonely carling cup matches!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Looks like Pirlo is a free agent this summer. Would definitely be worth it for two or three years in my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Looks like Pirlo is a free agent this summer. Would definitely be worth it for two or three years in my mind.

I'm pretty sure he signed an extension with Juve.

He should start. He's been a loyal servant to the club and deserves to win some silverware before he leaves.
    Point taken. 1 more question; Would you want him to leave or stay?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement