Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

actually just spotted the Indo have a free transfer XI
    Kasper Schmeichel
    Sagna, A Cole, Rio, Lescott
    Evra, Gareth Barry, Lampard, T Ince
    J Cole, Chamakh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Point taken. 1 more question; Would you want him to leave or stay?

Absolutely want him to stay. He's the best backup keeper in the league (not counting Courtois as he's never been backup).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,500 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Watching the EUFA Cup Final. Pure rubbish.
    I can really only watch Arsenal games with any interest.
    Going to be a boring Summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Watching the EUFA Cup Final. Pure rubbish.
    I can really only watch Arsenal games with any interest.
    Going to be a boring Summer.

Louth will have 2 games sure! :pac:

Would you not watch any of the world cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,500 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Louth will have 2 games sure! :pac:

Would you not watch any of the world cup?

Ha ha.

I'll watch the WC when it's at the knockout stages.

Supporting Germany at this years wc.

Highest density of Arsenal players, but I'll be keeping an eye on Spain. Still miss Cesc. (I know, I know. Get over it already Pappa D!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Supporting Germany at this years wc.

Highest density of Arsenal players, but I'll be keeping an eye on Spain. Still miss Cesc. (I know, I know. Get over it already Pappa D!)

Do you watch him and wonder does he miss us?

I do :o

HazDanz wrote: »
    Do you watch him and wonder does he miss us?

I do :o

Yup! I still hold on to the hope that one day we'll exercise the buy back clause and take him home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Fabregas went on strike to leave the club, hoping he'd saunter home, win loads of easy trophies and be a god at Barcelona. If he did come back to Arsenal, I'd support him as I would anyone in our shirt but I've no longing to see him back, don't pine after him. Fantastic player but not up to much as an individual when it comes to Arsenal in my eyes.

Anyway, as long as Sagna can do the job on Saturday I'd play him. If he gives us one final top 90mins of football, then I'll thank him and wish him well and hopes he moves abroad. He stayed when a lot of the others left. Besides his form has been up and down so might as well replace him now and get someone in who will fight with Jenkinson for the RB position.

I'd also start Fabianski because he has been a top professional in his time at the club and has been brilliant this season when called upon. Only reason I'd see AW playing Szczesny is in the hopes (obviously) we win and he gets that winning "feeling."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

Going to cup final if anybody fancies a pint before or afterwards drop me a message.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

If Sanogo starts ahead of Giroud on Saturday I will cry and proceed to chuck the tv out the window.

Really cant wait for this game, love the FA Cup and all the pre match build up. Gonna be a bag of nerves watching this game, anybody thinking were in for an easy game will be in for a big surprise this is going to be very close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭ironkiwi

Hopefully this is true.... Benzema is a bit hit and miss but I don't think there is any doubt that he would improve the team.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/10832032/Arsenal-to-launch-30m-move-for-Real-Madrid-striker-Karim-Benzema.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

ironkiwi wrote: »
    Hopefully this is true.... Benzema is a bit hit and miss but I don't think there is any doubt that he would improve the team.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/10832032/Arsenal-to-launch-30m-move-for-Real-Madrid-striker-Karim-Benzema.html

The only way I can see them selling him is if they're going to go for Suarez as without Benzema, they would just be left with Morata and Rodriguez as out and out strikers. He wouldn't excite me as much as someone like Suarez or Cavani but I could definitely see him doing well for us. Him and Ozil already having an understanding would be an added bonus too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronjo

Maire2009 wrote: »
    Fabregas went on strike to leave the club, hoping he'd saunter home, win loads of easy trophies and be a god at Barcelona. If he did come back to Arsenal, I'd support him as I would anyone in our shirt but I've no longing to see him back, don't pine after him. Fantastic player but not up to much as an individual when it comes to Arsenal in my eyes.

"

This gets trotted out every single time someone says they would love to have Cesc back. EVERY.SINGLE.TIME.
    He is the on ex Arsenal player still playing that I would have back in a heartbeat.

ronjo wrote: »
    This gets trotted out every single time someone says they would love to have Cesc back. EVERY.SINGLE.TIME.
    He is the on ex Arsenal player still playing that I would have back in a heartbeat.

Are you disagreeing with it? Or just saying it gets said?

I think that phrasing was a bit harsh, but it is more or less true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

A lot of rumours of Vela coming back. Haven't kept up with him since he left, how has he done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

But it's true and people like you ignore that fact, plus he hasn't set the world alight at Barca. we don't need him. We need Defensive midfield, we have Ozil and Wilshire rather are money was spent on other players. if he was worth half the price I splash the cash. But his lack of loyalty turns me off, Van persie got it in the neck but Fabergas is always let off the hook, amazes me.

Are you disagreeing with it? Or just saying it gets said?

I think that phrasing was a bit harsh, but it is more or less true.

I genuinely dont know what happened exactly but all I know is that it gets thrown out like a badge of honour for the people who dont like him.

ETA

Someone who writes "People like you" isnt worth responding too...... see above...

• Advertisement

jester77 wrote: »
    A lot of rumours of Vela coming back. Haven't kept up with him since he left, how has he done?

Looks like he had a really fantastic season.
    Personally I was really shocked to see him do so well there.
    Perhaps the Spanish game suits him better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I genuinely dont know what happened exactly but all I know is that it gets thrown out like a badge of honour for the people who dont like him.

I don't think that most people in here mean it like that.
    But it is a fact that he did that because he wanted to leave for Barcelona.
    Surely he is a very good player and I would like him back, but I don't think we really need him at this stage.
    Priorities lie elsewhere - practically in all other positions bar the one that Fabregas play.

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I don't think that most people in here mean it like that.
    But it is a fact that he did that because he wanted to leave for Barcelona.
    Surely he is a very good player and I would like him back, but I don't think we really need him at this stage.
    Priorities lie elsewhere - practically in all other positions bar the one that Fabregas play.

I do fully agree that priorities are elsewhere but I would far rather seeing him play in the red of Arsenal than the red of Manchester United.

I do fully agree that priorities are elsewhere but I would far rather seeing him play in the red of Arsenal than the red of Manchester United.

oh, absolutely agreed.
    But, if he is available, do we spend 30m to buy him just so he doesn't go to Utd?
    That's 30m not spend in other positions that we need cover and, unfortunately, our budget is not unlimited.

Irish Aris wrote: »
    oh, absolutely agreed.
    But, if he is available, do we spend 30m to buy him just so he doesn't go to Utd?
    That's 30m not spend in other positions that we need cover and, unfortunately, our budget is not unlimited.

Ok fair point...... but I dont really think it works like that at Arsenal.
    It not like we spend a set amount each year and spending on one players stops another player being signed.
    The cash is there to spend and its possibly been there for a few transfer windows.

Ok fair point...... but I dont really think it works like that at Arsenal.
    It not like we spend a set amount each year and spending on one players stops another player being signed.
    The cash is there to spend and its possibly been there for a few transfer windows.

yeah, I guess you're right.
    Probably forgot how it is for our team to spend big money on a transfer window, hasn't happen in a while now. . .:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Looper007 wrote: »
    Van persie got it in the neck but Fabergas is always let off the hook, amazes me.

The reason for that one is straight-forward in fairness. Van Persie went to a hated rival. Fabregas went abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I dunno about not needing Fabregas. Arteta plays a lot of games for us.

Though a 30 million DMF might be more desirable as a partner for Ramsey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

If Arsenal sign Vela for 3 million, it is a win-win for them.

There are several Spanish teams interested in signing him and if he doesn't make the grade for us in 6-12 months, he'll sell for a nice profit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Confident for the weekend?

Hull have been very poor lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Fabregas is an after taught, we dont need him as much as he would like to think we do. Quality player but we need a DM more then a CM TBH.

We need to get quality over quantity in the summer this year, priority as we all know is a Forward. Then a Defender and and DM, Arteta is a decent player but no way shape of form a CAPTAIN. He cannot tackle to save his life. We need a forward but not just any forward, we need a leader. Someone who wants to play at a top team that has been barren for years and start a revolution of trophy winning years. Benzema is a good player but is not a leader and his work rate is questionable. If we got him for around 10m then it would be a good sigining. I would not pay anywhere near 20m for him. Vela is another decent buy for small money, very good squad player 3 times the striker that Sonogo will ever be. Should have sigined Dzeko when we had the chance.....

COYG

• Advertisement

djPSB wrote: »

Scarily confident.

Everything is in our favour at the moment so I just hope it doesnt all go horribly horribly wrong.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Fabregas is an after taught, we dont need him as much as he would like to think we do. Quality player but we need a DM more then a CM TBH.

We need to get quality over quantity in the summer this year, priority as we all know is a Forward. Then a Defender and and DM, Arteta is a decent player but no way shape of form a CAPTAIN. He cannot tackle to save his life. We need a forward but not just any forward, we need a leader. Someone who wants to play at a top team that has been barren for years and start a revolution of trophy winning years. Benzema is a good player but is not a leader and his work rate is questionable. If we got him for around 10m then it would be a good sigining. I would not pay anywhere near 20m for him. Vela is another decent buy for small money, very good squad player 3 times the striker that Sonogo will ever be. Should have sigined Dzeko when we had the chance.....

COYG

I cant imagine there is a hope in hell that we could get Benzema for less than 20/25m to be honest.

I dont suppose there is any point going to Napoli looking for Higuain?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

djPSB wrote: »

Ya I am and not being complacent. I have this weird calm that I fully understand has no impact on the match but feels good. Similar to the penalties against Wigan I just have a feeling this one is written for us.

Doubt it will be easy but look we are playing a side who are missing there two best strikers. Huddlestone from long range is probably their biggest threat. We have a solid squad to choose from and have won the last 5 games in a row. We have leaders now.

Think we will win but I fully realise we are capable of monumental **** ups. Not this time.

Ya I am and not being complacent. I have this weird calm that I fully understand has no impact on the match but feels good. Similar to the penalties against Wigan I just have a feeling this one is written for us.

Doubt it will be easy but look we are playing a side who are missing there two best strikers. Huddlestone from long range is probably their biggest threat. We have a solid squad to choose from and have won the last 5 games in a row. We have leaders now.

Think we will win but I fully realise we are capable of monumental **** ups. Not this time.

Am with you her Johnny...... However its going to be very had to take if we do mess this up.

Benzema will cost at least €30 million. No way would Real sell him for less, they might even want a good bit more.

Doubt they'll sell him in any case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Benzema will cost at least €30 million. No way would Real sell him for less, they might even want a good bit more.

Only one year left on the contract though, 30 million is a good deal for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Only has a year left on his contract so he might not cost as much as you may think. Will still be 20 million plus though i reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Cant see us spending €30m on Benzema. It'll be a cheap deal for Remy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Am with you her Johnny...... However its going to be very had to take if we do mess this up.

Unbearable Ronjo, doesnt warrant contemplation. Be a few Pool fans headed my way too thats for sure!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I dont get the dislike for Cesc, we got him as a young fella from Barca (under questionable circumstances if I remember rightly?)
    He gave some outstanding performances for the club, Statistics show that in the five years prior to Fàbregas's departure from Arsenal, Fàbregas created 466 goal-scoring chances, made 86 assists and scored 48 goals, all three statistics topping those of new team mates Xavi Hernández and Andrés Iniesta despite both having made more appearances in the same period
    from http://football-talk.co.uk/31566/official-fabregas-is-better-than-xavi-iniesta/

Fair enough the way he went about his departure wasnt handled the best but I think he always wanted to return to Barcelona and I dont blame him one bit for that (even though I dislike them immensely)
    He didnt leave for a hated rival like rvp or didnt go for money like Nasri
    He simply went home and id have him back in a flash

• Advertisement

dvemail wrote: »
    Only has a year left on his contract so he might not cost as much as you may think. Will still be 20 million plus though i reckon.

He's only 26 though, there will be plenty of clubs in for him if he decides to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Winning this cup is exactly what the club needs.

The buzz all week and all the focus on us is great and will give the players and manages a taste of what it feels like to be at the top again.

Please don't mess it up again!

Does Giroud start ahead of Benzema for France? Not too sure he would be much of an upgrade on what we already have, although you could argue that the way we play would suit Benzema more than the way France play.

If I had a choice to sign a striker that is within our range it would be Benteke.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Benzema generally started ahead of or alongside Giroud during qualification. Lost his place towards the end of the campaign then got it back in the 2nd leg of the play-offs. He'll start for France at the World Cup I reckon.

I'm not mad on him but he'd be a pretty good addition to the team. Would obviously rather Cavani though.

Benzema would be a huge upgrade on giroud imo
    More mobility and a more clinical finisher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭djan

I don't think people realise how much Benzema would improve us. He is fast and has good movement although caught offside often speed is exactly what we need as Giroux isn't ridiculously strong to compensate for lack of speed.
    Main area where I think Benzema would be a lot better is his finishing firstly he is well able to shoot with both feet and is technically a lot better than Giroud. I just feel that Giroud just isn't able to play up front on his own and with his lack of pace he seems to be quite disjointed from the midfield. We have one of the best through ball passers in the world so feel should have a pacy forward and not just rely on Ox/Theo. I'd say 25-30 million is a fair deal.

Just seen a photo on Facebook there of a red bus with Arsenal Fc 2014 Fa Cup winners. I really hope its photo shopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Just seen a photo on Facebook there of a red bus with Arsenal Fc 2014 Fa Cup winners. I really hope its photo shopped.

It could be but I'd imagine they've stickers ordered for it or whatever they use
    Also t-shirts done, etc. And planning permission\a request in for a victory parade

Same for hull

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

All these things are done in advance in case we win.
    No point waiting for the result only to decorate the bus on the Saturday night.
    Same with the signs in Islington regarding an Arsenal parade on Sunday. Notice has to be given well in advance else wise there will be no parade on the Sunday if we do win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,121 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Do ya honestly think that they go around on the Saturday evening/Sunday morning, trying to organize a bus and a Police escort etc. It all takes planning and it has to be planned beforehand.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement