Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭dinorebel

shano_88 wrote: »
    The more I think about Milner the less I think it's going to happen.

There's a good chance he's looking to use the fact that Man City are short of homegrown players to get himself a new bumber wage package.
    I think it's more about playing time he only started 12 games this season and he has to think he's better than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

shano_88 wrote: »
    The more I think about Milner the less I think it's going to happen.

There's a good chance he's looking to use the fact that Man City are short of homegrown players to get himself a new bumber wage package.

This is all it is, he has a year left also so knows he has them over a barrel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

FearDark wrote: »
    How ****ing awesome this is to see :D

lol am gutted i did not go to the parade as i was completely smashed from last night. even the DJ at the night club wearing arsenal top

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Really hope we dont think Vela is the answer. He was never cut out for the English game. It's very different in Spain which is why he is doing well. It suits him better.
    Soups123 wrote: »
    I think we sold Clichy because we wanted too and Possibly Toure. I think Nasri and RVP went for trophies definitely in RVPs case I don't think money was a factor.

Hleb and song suited the club and the player.

Galas was done as a top player it was time to go

As best I recall, Toure was due to the bust up with Gallas. One of them had to leave and it was the wrong one that did. Toure and Clichy were early signings by the newly rich Man City so definitely got a big payday.

Nasri and van Persie were definitely for money. van Persie could see what was being built but could also see a lot more money elsewhere. If we had van Persie this season, we'd have won the league and he knew how close we were. It was 100% money for him. Likewise with Nasri. He knew he was an important part of what was being built but saw the money on offer from City and off he went.

Hleb and Song were not major players for us, but you cant deny they both left for more money. At least they had enough respect to move to another league rather than direct rivals.

Gallas I can agree with. Wasnt sure about putting him in at all, but he was once a big player for us who fcuked off to a rival club.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Really hope we dont think Vela is the answer. He was never cut out for the English game. It's very different in Spain which is why he is doing well. It suits him better.

As best I recall, Toure was due to the bust up with Gallas. One of them had to leave and it was the wrong one that did. Toure and Clichy were early signings by the newly rich Man City so definitely got a big payday.

Nasri and van Persie were definitely for money. van Persie could see what was being built but could also see a lot more money elsewhere. If we had van Persie this season, we'd have won the league and he knew how close we were. It was 100% money for him. Likewise with Nasri. He knew he was an important part of what was being built but saw the money on offer from City and off he went.

Hleb and Song were not major players for us, but you cant deny they both left for more money. At least they had enough respect to move to another league rather than direct rivals.

Gallas I can agree with. Wasnt sure about putting him in at all, but he was once a big player for us who fcuked off to a rival club.

He would be very good as a squad player I think. Give us more depth up top. Good for competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I think that's all stretching it a bit really. Just because they got more money, doesn't mean that's the entire reason they left, or even a major part.

Song and Hleb left to go to the best team in the world, there's no way you can just assume it was about money. Van Persie was a selfish prick, but I think he was selfish in an "I want to win things now, fvck all the faith Arsene's had in me" way rather than the "I want a bigger pay packet" way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I can't simply accept this conclusion when most of the games Vela played for Arsenal were when he was a teenager. He has improved, undoubtedly. Hes no weaker than Mata/Silva/Cazorla are and hes now 25, a much better age to make his move to the PL.

If we were linked to any other player getting 16 goals and 12 assists in the league, from the wing in virtually any league in Europe, never mind La Liga, nobody would raise their eyebrows at 20m being touted, its 4m. No brainer for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I couldn't be certain on all but I really don't think RVP was money, City offered him more I really believe he went for success. RVP saw the signing coming the year he left and the were still a level below elite.

Nasri possibly but he wanted trophies and with Cesc going knew we were getting worse not better, money may have played a part but equally trophies I feel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Watched it 200 other Gooners here in Vancouver. Thought I was going to vomit after 8 mins. We all know what is required for next season but for now it's important to celebrate this achievement. Above all all else I feel a huge sense of relief and I am very happy for Wenger. Now lets press forward and try get some quality in. Please!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,069 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

On Vela - it would be insanity not to try to bring him back at 4 million euros. Absolute worst case scenario, you can sell him again in 6 months or a year for 2 or 3 times that price. No lose situation for Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

53776c4e417ef.jpg

That would be pretty cool.

Skip to about 4 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Still can't get over Ollie's amazing backheal for Rambo's goal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

efb wrote: »
    Still can't get over Ollie's amazing backheal for Rambo's goal!

It created so much space in a crowded penalty area. Still took a sublime finish from AR; outside of his boot to curl it round MacGregor's outstretched palm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Who is likely to come in during the summer lads do ye think?

As mentioned great back heel by giroud hes had a great season goal and assist wise I think its time I stop giving him a hard time and accept while hes not rvp standard he is a very good striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Still is a no-brainer. His buyout clause is apparently £4m but his real value is probably at least double that. So even if he does not work out he can be sold on for a tidy profit. I think that he would be a valuable squad player and would improve on what we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Who is likely to come in during the summer lads do ye think?

As mentioned great back heel by giroud hes had a great season goal and assist wise I think its time I stop giving him a hard time and accept while hes not rvp standard he is a very good striker.

Well to win leagues and Champions league this team needs a RVP standard striker, as much as Giroud does his best, he can't take that one chance in the big games that he might get.

MUST BUYS

A world Class Striker
    A top class Defensive Midfielder
    A right back
    A centre back

The top two are a must for us to go on and win more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Looper007 wrote: »
    Well to win leagues and Champions league this team needs a RVP standard striker, as much as Giroud does his best, he can't take that one chance in the big games that he might get.

MUST BUYS

A world Class Striker
    A top class Defensive Midfielder
    A right back
    A centre back

The top two are a must for us to go on and win more.

Left winger?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I must say, Vela's numbers this season are very impressive - 21 goals and 13 assists from the wing in 52 games? If we're spending big on a centre-forward, we could do worse than Vela as an option for the wings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Would Vela be interested in coming back, does anyone know? Or are we just assuming that he wants back? Cant remember how him leaving came about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

whos sobered up now?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

whos sobered up now?

I'm sober, but I've no voice. And I work on an IT service desk. Not sure how I'm going to make it to 4pm.

What a night in the Mercantile. Incredible atmosphere. Still buzzing.

Non-seeds - Besiktas, Lille, Kobenhavn, Standard Liege, Dnipro, Panathinaikos, Feyenoord, Grasshopppers & Atheltic Bilbao. Plus Cypriot team

We will be facing one if these in the CL qualifiers, would rather not Dnipro (big journey) but nothing too much to worry about I suppose..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

greendom wrote: »
    Non-seeds - Besiktas, Lille, Kobenhavn, Standard Liege, Dnipro, Panathinaikos, Feyenoord, Grasshopppers & Atheltic Bilbao. Plus Cypriot team

We will be facing one if these in the CL qualifiers, would rather not Dnipro (big journey) but nothing too much to worry about I suppose..

Besiktas and Bilbao wouldn't be ideal either.

Nonetheless, we always seem to do quite well against the smaller teams in Europe.

SPT_2014-05-18_SPO_002_31713510_I1.JPG

Just love this. The unbridled joy of Rambo and Gibbs matched by that of the fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

So Bac is really good right but I have to admit that the other day I spent a lot of the match wishing he was a bit better going forward. I mean he's controlled and measured and everything but there's just zero threat from him. I guess with Walcott ahead of him, that doesn't matter so much but the other day we needed overlaps and give and goes. And his crossing was pants too but I think that's because he does it from so far back.

Anyway I digress, my point is this.

Bac's really good, solid RB and decent cover for CB. Pretty much arguably as good as every defender in the PL in his position ... except Zabaleta, who for me is the only RB that is definatly better.

But City want to give Bac a huge amount of money to sit on the bench.

Can't figure that out at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

gosplan wrote: »
    So Bac is really good right but I have to admit that the other day I spent a lot of the match wishing he was a bit better going forward. I mean he's controlled and measured and everything but there's just zero threat from him. I guess with Walcott ahead of him, that doesn't matter so much but the other day we needed overlaps and give and goes. And his crossing was pants too but I think that's because he does it from so far back.

Anyway I digress, my point is this.

Bac's really good, solid RB and decent cover for CB. Pretty much arguably as good as every defender in the PL in his position ... except Zabaleta, who for me is the only RB that is definatly better.

But City want to give Bac a huge amount of money to sit on the bench.

Can't figure that out at all.
    Did you see each players stats for this season ?

Bac won just about all of them including successful crosses.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Left winger?

I doubt he buy one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

I have totally changed my mind about Cesc. I really dont want him back. Ramsey and Ozil are miles ahead of him now, not good enough to start for us anymore, that sounds brilliant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Raf32 wrote: »
    I have totally changed my mind about Cesc. I really dont want him back. Ramsey and Ozil are miles ahead of him now, not good enough to start for us anymore, that sounds brilliant :D

Don't think Ozil is Raf I really don't. Completely missing again on the biggest stage we had. Cesc miles more effective in England anyway.

Besiktas and Bilbao wouldn't be ideal either.

Nonetheless, we always seem to do quite well against the smaller teams in Europe.

Bilbao are a force at home, at ours we'd take them. Besiktas we'd beat with our full team.

If we sign our big signings early and no serious injuries, we will qualify with no fuss.

Which Arsenal Players ain't going to the World Cup:

Ramsey, Arteta, szczesny, Rosicky, Diaby, Walcott, Gibbs, Flamini and Jenko.

Giroud, Ox, Cazorla, Pod and Monreal are squad players so shouldn't be playing that much during the WC.

Ozil, Wilshire, Mert, Kos (he's missing France's first two games), Verm are probably going to be playing a lot, if their countries make it through.

So it's not too bad are best player isn't going to the World Cup, most of our players are squad players only 5 will be starters. Here's hoping no serious injuries will happen.

Don't think Ozil is Raf I really don't. Completely missing again on the biggest stage we had. Cesc miles more effective in England anyway.

I know i have been really disappointed with Ozil i wont lie. but its his first season, next season he will be unbelieveable with a a bit of pace in front of him. Cesc had Theo RVP/Adebayor and Nasri infront of him. all offering something different and pace except RVP. Ozil had Cazorla Giroud Podolski, thats an awful drop off in talent imo. Get Theo back and put a top striker with pace in front of him and he will be player of the year imo.

That was a few years ago mate, it's the here and now he hasn't blown me away in his time at Barca, rather we speant money on positions we need to fill. Ozil is having his first full season at Arsenal, let's wait and see shall we before you taint him.

I know i have been really disappointed with Ozil i wont lie. but its his first season, next season he will be unbelieveable with a a bit of pace in front of him.

Pires wasn't much in his first season in his second won player of the year. Let's wait and see, Ozil's done fine nothing out of this world but let's wait before we judge.

• Advertisement

Pires wasn't much in his first season in his second won player of the year. Let's wait and see, Ozil's done fine nothing out of this world but let's wait before we judge.

Thats what i said though. Im disappointed with him but i know he will be brilliant next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Thats what i said though. Im disappointed with him but i know he will be brilliant next year.

I think its the pace of the english game more so then the physical side that has caught him out. He is used to having more time on the ball in la liga, they should have Wilshere and Ramsey kicking lumps out of him in training and around him like a Jack Russell to help him settle in. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Loved the atmosphere in The Merc on Saturday. I was in the main bar and I have to say the bar service was atrocious. I know it was packed but people were waiting 10 mins for a pint (and a good few left). Not enough bar staff to deal with the demand. I barman was washing glasses most of the time ffs. Surely that's why you have lounge staff.

Still we won, so happy days.

I think it's the pace plus he needs to build himself up but I'm sure Wenger and co will work on him. Next season we will see the best of Ozil with Ramsey, Theo and hopefully a world class forward to play balls into.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

That was a few years ago mate, it's the here and now he hasn't blown me away in his time at Barca, rather we speant money on positions we need to fill. Ozil is having his first full season at Arsenal, let's wait and see shall we before you taint

I am not tainting him. I am making justifiably fair comment on him. Some people cant cope with that and feel this need to say he has been brilliant to comfort themselves with their disappointment.

He has acknowledged he finds it very hard. He has a world cup now and no break. he said himself this is an issue. You would expect a dramatic improvement from him but I dont think its as certain as many are suggesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Really hope Theo stays injury free next season.

Roaster wrote: »
    Loved the atmosphere in The Merc on Saturday. I was in the main bar and I have to say the bar service was atrocious. I know it was packed but people were waiting 10 mins for a pint (and a good few left). Not enough bar staff to deal with the demand. I barman was washing glasses most of the time ffs. Surely that's why you have lounge staff.

I prefer staying in with a few bottles and enjoying it on widescreen, I can't stand people in bars talking during the match or on their phones, just one of my pet peeves plus you have ever drunken fool falling into you, you can barely finish you're drink :P.

maximoose wrote: »
    Really hope Theo stays injury free next season.

I make sure I wouldn't play him in cup game sgaian't teams we can beat without him, play him in the league and CL. Use him carefully, rest him here and there. But even then he could just get a injury, it's just one of those things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Did you see each players stats for this season ?

Bac won just about all of them including successful crosses.

Is that just no. of crosses or % accurate.

I'd say it's the former and that's understandable because no-one else even gets in a position to cross it.

I just think the match he other day was a perfect example of where we've struggled this year. Hull dropped another guy back and he took Giroud out of the game. Without his link up play we had very very little going forward.

Just having Sanogo's presence up front made a massive massive difference even though he didn't do very much.

We needed width, it's not Bac's fault, it's Wenger's for not replacing Walcott.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Roaster wrote: »

Its one of the reasons I didnt go in myself on Saturday I just watched it in the house with a crate of beer and took in the pre match build up and post match celebrations :D

Is anybodies voice box still gone lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

gosplan wrote: »
    Is that just no. of crosses or % accurate.

I'd say it's the former and that's understandable because no-one else even gets in a position to cross it.

I just think the match he other day was a perfect example of where we've struggled this year. Hull dropped another guy back and he took Giroud out of the game. Without his link up play we had very very little going forward.

Just having Sanogo's presence up front made a massive massive difference even though he didn't do very much.

We needed width, it's not Bac's fault, it's Wenger's for not replacing Walcott.

Probably, here they are anyway.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892/transfer-zone/2014/05/16/4818711/-

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Can we start hyping up the Charity Shield as proper silverware now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

When is Walcotts return date anyway? Do we expect him to have a few pre-season games under his belt and fully fit for the new season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

FearDark wrote: »
    Can we start hyping up the Charity Shield as proper silverware now?

Yes. Let's keep this trophy winning streak going.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement