Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

I see arseblog raised the debate today on the more successful season, pool v arsenal. I guess we'd all agree that we had the better season and I'm sure you've all heard the same rubbish that I have for the last number of years that it's all about trophies and that there was no trophy for 4th place (or 3rd, 2nd).

Now that we've won a cup (a big one too) and secured CL footie yet again surely bar city we've been the most successful English club this season. Ok yes pool went from 7th last season to 2nd and could (should) have won the league but perhaps they underachieved last year?

Anyway I still can't get over that feeling of winning a cup final at wembley, particularly in the dramatic fashion we did it. I really had forgotten what it felt like and now I want more!! The players looked like they did too and I hope that taste of glory will drive them on to greater success. I'm loving soccer again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭ronjo

farna_boy wrote: »
    Just saw that Yaya Toure is "disillusioned" at City and is willing to take a pay cut to move away to Barca or a Premier League rival. Could be worth a shot.

I was reading about this on BBC.

Is Yaya 8??????????

Boohoo, they didnt shake my hand on my birthday. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭ronjo

omega man wrote: »
    I see arseblog raised the debate today on the more successful season, pool v arsenal. I guess we'd all agree that we had the better season and I'm sure you've all heard the same rubbish that I have for the last number of years that it's all about trophies and that there was no trophy for 4th place (or 3rd, 2nd).

Now that we've won a cup (a big one too) and secured CL footie yet again surely bar city we've been the most successful English club this season. Ok yes pool went from 7th last season to 2nd and could (should) have won the league but perhaps they underachieved last year?

Anyway I still can't get over that feeling of winning a cup final at wembley, particularly in the dramatic fashion we did it. I really had forgotten what it felt like and now I want more!! The players looked like they did too and I hope that taste of glory will drive them on to greater success. I'm loving soccer again.

Throw up and oul thread and poll about it.
    Some of the more vocal Liverpool fans will have a lot to say about it I am sure :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

ronjo wrote: »

Is Yaya 8??????????

Boohoo, they didnt shake my hand on my birthday. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

TBF, the story came from the Sun. I doubt it's true.

EDIT: I just saw the updated article with quotes from his agent? Haha, maybe a bit of truth to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Is Yaya 8??????????

#ReasonsYayaWantsToLeaveCity

BoFJiCeIEAA9Hk-.jpg

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Throw up and oul thread and poll about it.
    Some of the more vocal Liverpool fans will have a lot to say about it I am sure :D

Hmmm tempting. Red rag to a bull. Being very new to the soccer forum I'd probably do myself no favours!

Personally I had waited until we won the cup before I went to town on Liverpool fans I know for blowing the title ;-)
    Their come backs, although unsurprising, were priceless! Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Yaya to Barca

Cesc to arsenal

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yaya to Barca

Cesc to arsenal

The gossip columns are talking about a mass clear out at Barca with Cesc being among them, I think there could be legs to Cesc moving this summer though I'm not entirely sure he'll come to us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The more talk about/from Aurier, the less likely I see it happening

http://news.arseblog.com/2014/05/aurier-continues-to-talk-up-arsenal-move/
    greendom wrote: »
    Yes, beginning to sound a little desperate now.

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

AdamD wrote: »
    Why?

Because he's been banging on about coming to Arsenal for over a year now. Being photographed in Arsenal tops etc, etc, I think he should just leave it to his agent as it's getting a bit embarrassing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The gossip columns are talking about a mass clear out at Barca with Cesc being among them, I think there could be legs to Cesc moving this summer though I'm not entirely sure he'll come to us.

To be totally honest I don't want Cesc.

Yea he is a brilliant player but unless we sign a LW, DM, CF and possible defensvie replacements first I don't want him.

If we can do all that and have surplus cash around to still sign him then happys days but as of now he is not a priority nor do I think he would even make our starting 11 right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Yaya to Arsenal

Cesc to arsenal

Fixed :pac:

To be totally honest I don't want Cesc.

Yea he is a brilliant player but unless we sign a LW, DM, CF and possible defensvie replacements first I don't want him.

If we can do all that and have surplus cash around to still sign him then happys days but as of now he is not a priority nor do I think he would even make our starting 11 right now.

Precisely why I would sign him.

When Rambo and Ozil were out injured, we surrended the title imo. If we had someone of Cesc's calibre in there, we would've won it.

The days of 11 first team players and a sh*te second string are well and truly behind us. Look at City's and Chelsea midfields. Many of them are good enough for a lot of first choice teams. With PL, CL, FA Cup and the Carling cup there's more than enough games to keep everyone happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

The thing with Aurier is when we are linked with a player for a long time we rarely sign them.

Precisely why I would sign him.

When Rambo and Ozil were out injured, we surrended the title imo. If we had someone of Cesc's calibre in there, we would've won it.

The days of 11 first team players and a sh*te second string are well and truly behind us. Look at City's and Chelsea midfields. Many of them are good enough for a lot of first choice teams. With PL, CL, FA Cup and the Carling cup there's more than enough games to keep everyone happy.

I do agree with what your saying but can we really spunk that much of our transfer kitty on a player for the bench? When we need players for the first 11 in DM/LW/CF and possibly RB.

Surely they should take priority? It's all well and good having a player of Cesc's caliber on the bench but will it really serve us well if up front, left wing and DM we have weaknesses, weaknesses that hold us back and can cost us big games.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

We've got huge purchasing power, I don't think it's a case of one or the other any more.

Signing Cesc would be a luxury and ideally I'd prefer we signed a natural wide player (once we'd got a striker and a DM in the bag), but if he became available, you'd have to go for him IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

As long as we have a fast wide play (Walcott,Ox) then Cesc,Ozil and Ramsey can all easily fit into the starting 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Striker and deep lying midfielder are clearly our 2 biggest problem positions and as much as Id love to see Cesc back, players for these positions need to be our primary target.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    As long as we have a fast wide play (Walcott,Ox) then Cesc,Ozil and Ramsey can all easily fit into the starting 11.

Essentially playing without a DM??

We would get destroyed in some games playing that way, we already seen this year in games with Arteta's legs going how our defence was left wide open and very vulnerable to attack.

If we played that much of an attacking side against some teams we would get murdered.

Also Ox isn't a wide player for me or at least not an out and out one. He has pace but always looking to cut inside and looks more comfortable playing centrally. A brilliant prospect an exciting prospect but playing on the left wing were we need a player I'm not so sure.

• Advertisement

Essentially playing without a DM??

We would get destroyed in some games playing that way, we already seen this year in games with Arteta's legs going how our defence was left wide open and very vulnerable to attack.

If we played that much of an attacking side against some teams we would get murdered.

Also Ox isn't a wide player for me or at least not an out and out one. He has pace but always looking to cut inside and looks more comfortable playing centrally. A brilliant prospect an exciting prospect but playing on the left wing were we need a player I'm not so sure.

Who's say we'd play without a DM?
    Cesc would just replace Cazorla... Play Ozil out wide and let him drift inward.

Still think the money should be spent elsewhere.

Who's say we'd play without a DM?
    Cesc would just replace Cazorla... Play Ozil out wide and let him drift inward.

Still think the money should be spent elsewhere.

Sorry I though you implied Ox on one wing and Walcott on the other with the rest playing centrally :o.

But no don't agree playing Ozil out left pay him were he plays best centrally. Drop Cazorla to the bench for his cover.

Ramsey just in behind and then buy a DM and a left wing is what I think would work and what is needed.

Having Arteta, Cazorla, Flamini, Ox, Diaby :pac: and Wilshere as cover for the central roles would be more than enough and leave no need for Cesc to be bought as extra cover.

Ox, Gnabry and Cazorla could also be used for cover on the wings.

Sorry I though you implied Ox on one wing and Walcott on the other with the rest playing centrally :o.

But no don't agree playing Ozil out left pay him were he plays best centrally. Drop Cazorla to the bench for his cover.

Ramsey just in behind and then buy a DM and a left wing is what I think would work and what is needed.

Having Arteta, Cazorla, Flamini, Ox, Diaby :pac: and Wilshere as cover for the central roles would be more than enough and leave no need for Cesc to be bought as extra cover.

Ox, Gnabry and Cazorla could also be used for cover on the wings.

Yeah, I agree.
    We really don't need Cesc right now.

Get a DM,CF and a Right-back and we'll be sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Can never have too many midfielders.
    We thought at the start of the season we were overstocked in this area, but we saw what happened there.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭kevinroche3333

Completely hypothetical question but what would our midfield look like if we swapped Ozil for Cesc?!
    On more serious note i hope i read some morning that Madrid are making megabucks move for Suarez i think Benzema is very possible transfer for us or maybe even Di Maria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Completely hypothetical question but what would our midfield look like if we swapped Ozil for Cesc?!
    On more serious note i hope i read some morning that Madrid are making megabucks move for Suarez i think Benzema is very possible transfer for us or maybe even Di Maria.

Would take Di Maria in a heartbeat. Can play left, right or down the middle.
    Would add some well needed pace also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The more talk about/from Aurier, the less likely I see it happening

http://news.arseblog.com/2014/05/aurier-continues-to-talk-up-arsenal-move/

Be positive Fuzzy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Beautiful!

i6jDQoxe3Qmra.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Just ordered my copy of the Arseblog book about the Invincibles!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

So is everyone here still convinced that a 4-5-1 is the best formation for us?

Looking at other top teams, it is unusual to find other teams that adopt this formation and as a consequence it could be difficult to find strikers to suit that role.

Would we not be better looking at developing a 4-4-2 formation and having the 4-5-1 as an alternative/plan b?

farna_boy wrote: »
    So is everyone here still convinced that a 4-5-1 is the best formation for us?

Looking at other top teams, it is unusual to find other teams that adopt this formation and as a consequence it could be difficult to find strikers to suit that role.

Would we not be better looking at developing a 4-4-2 formation and having the 4-5-1 as an alternative/plan b?

I'd see it at the moment that we don't play 4-5-1 more so 4-3-3.

Which can work and will work when we have Walcott fit and hopefully another pacy winger who can play on the left.

• Advertisement

We play 4-2-3-1 when attacking then switch to 4-5-1 when defending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

The only thing we need to do is keep everyone injury free.

We get crippled every year by injuries and not Injuries caused by bad tackles or collisions either silly injuries that one wonders could a sizeable cunk of them be prevented?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

gandalf wrote: »
    Just ordered my copy of the Arseblog book about the Invincibles!

The Dublin Launch is in the Mercantile on Wed 21st Kick off 6.30

Meet Mr Arseblog himself and he will sign it for you:)

Wont be as packed as Sat so you will get a beer and don't have to wait 10 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

No matter who we buy

I'm convinced bu the end of next season wilshere/Ramsey will be our best midfield

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Yaya Toure to Arsenal perhaps?

Is it time to start our silly season session?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭boodiebhoy

Don't post much but always follow this forum. I would love to see Cesc back, would hate to see him at any other PL club. Following Arsenal since the 70's and he remains my favourite player in that time.

boodiebhoy wrote: »
    Don't post much but always follow this forum. I would love to see Cesc back, would hate to see him at any other PL club. Following Arsenal since the 70's and he remains my favourite player in that time.

AND he's a leader, something we need.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭king Henry 14

If its possible to get cesc then we should do it. Adding world class players to the squad has to be the aim, and a player of his class should always be welcome. As has been proven this season the players on the bench must be as good if not better than the starting 11. Competition for places will drive the team on and cesc would give us this. Granted we need strengthening in other areas and this needs to be addressed but if top players become available and they want to come to the emirates then we have to go after them. I don't think there is one position on the pitch where we can say we have adequate cover for injuries, loss of form etc. arsenal should be interested in any top player that becomes available if we want to move on to the next level. We may not get the majority of them but that has to be the aim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

I find the posts suggesting Cesc wouldn't make our starting eleven staggering. This is Cesc Fabregas. A proven world class performer.

We must be some team if he has to make do with a place on the bench.

I find the posts suggesting Cesc wouldn't make our starting eleven staggering. This is Cesc Fabregas. A proven world class performer.

The same player who carried us through a CL game with a fractured leg such was his desire for Arsenal to win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Rumours we just launched a bid for Maxime Gonalons from Lyon

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Rumours we just launched a bid for Maxime Gonalons from Lyon

Great player.
    Can play CB or holding mid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Lol

http://news.arseblog.com/2014/05/vela-ill-do-things-differently-at-arsenal-if-i-return/

Vela said this when talking to El Diario Vasco -
    “We will try and reach an agreement in which we all win, Real [Sociedad], Arsenal and me. We must see what can be done. We will decide what will be my future, it is all about finding the best way to be happy.
    “I did not have as many chances as I wanted [at Arsenal] and I had to try something new. If I have to return to London I will do things in a different way. What happened in the past will not be repeated.”

Would love to have him back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

100%. Listening to some on here you would think he has flopped at Barcelona. He would waltz back in to our side and on form it would be at Ozil's expense.

With Ozil i feel Wenger is giving him the Ramsey treatment. Putting him on even when not in form and believing he will come out the other end stronger because of it.

Still think Ozil is going to blitz the league next season. Especially if we have some speed down our wings and not so stagnant up front.

http://news.arseblog.com/2014/05/vela-ill-do-things-differently-at-arsenal-if-i-return/

Vela said this when talking to El Diario Vasco -

Would love to have him back.

He would be a super squad player to have. Sounds more mature too, saying all the right things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

BoGxd3vIUAIz_Wt.jpg:large

Brilliant photo taken just after Gibbs' miss, glad we can look at it now and laugh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

I have been disappointed with Ozil but no way would I take Cesc over him. Ozil player of the year next year im so sure of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

BoGxd3vIUAIz_Wt.jpg:large

Brilliant photo taken just after Gibbs' miss, glad we can look at it now and laugh!

How did Giroud get up there so quick!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement