Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

GeoffArsenal ‏@GeoffArsenal 1h
    In the unlikely event that Barca are prepared to sell Cesc, Arsene would buy him. I have no doubt.
    Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
    GeoffArsenal ‏@GeoffArsenal 2h
    Decline the offer and Barca sell Cesc, Afc will get 50% of the profit on the figure that Barca paid Arsenal.
    GeoffArsenal ‏@GeoffArsenal 2h
    If Barca get an offer for Cesc and are prepared to sell they must inform Afc 1st. Afc have the option to buy back at a fixed price. If Afc >
    GeoffArsenal ‏@GeoffArsenal 1h
    If i remember correctly, the buy back was for approx £25m.

Dunno how you'd have Ozil above him, Cesc >

Having said that if it may not be the best use of our resources. But would you trust them to even spend it elsewhere?

10372755_669313239826711_6127149914401373413_n.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I just don't want Cesc to end up at United/City that would break my heart.

I'd like to see us bid 15m for Schneiderlin. I reckon Southampton would prefer to sell him and Shaw rather than Lallana and Shaw in the same window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

To those who reckon Cesc would make our starting eleven who would he make it into ahead of?

There is no way he would get in ahead of Ramsey or Ozil.

Brilliant player but he would be on our bench and there is no way he is a leader either never was that type of player.

I do feel he has been harshly judged by Barrca fans and critics but still doesn't change the fact we don't need him imo.

Me thinks there a lot of rose tinted glasses being worn on Cesc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

To those who reckon Cesc would make our starting eleven who would he make it into ahead of?

Brilliant player but he would be on our bench and there is no way he is a leader either never was that type of player.

I do feel he has been harshly judged by Barrca fans and critics but still doesn't change the fact we don't need him imo.

Diamond

Ramsey
    Cesc. Wilshere
    Ozil

Just a suggestion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Ozil certainly wouldn't be ahead of him based on how he has performed for Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Who gives a sh!t... let Arsene decide how/where his massive squad of world-class players should play and we as fans can just enjoy winning all the trophies going :cool:

Ozil certainly wouldn't be ahead of him based on how he has performed for Arsenal.

Again I don't agree Ozil has been very harshly judged by the media and some Arsenal fans for a debut season he has good stats and has performed well. His form dipped a bit when we had no runners in the tea much like the whole teams for dipped and it dipped even further again once Ozil went out injured.

He will be a force next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Diamond

Ramsey
    Cesc. Wilshere
    Ozil

Just a suggestion

We'd get overrun.
    You can't have Ramsey covering defence and then have him making his attacking runs into the box.

• Advertisement

That's very small minded. The current Chelsea/City teams have strength in depth, no reason why we shouldn't act the same now. Just because City have Yaya-Fernandinho-Milner-Nasri-Navas in Mid just to mention a few it won't stop them from going out this summer and trying to get another mid. Ferguson used win a title and immediately go out and buy two or three top class players. We can fit Cesc in and if he turns out to be more we can drop someone else, it's about having the strongest possible team not about scraping a team together and if we get a few injuries we're fooked which is what happened this season.

FearDark wrote: »
    That's very small minded. The current Chelsea/City teams have strength in depth, no reason why we shouldn't act the same now. Just because City have Yaya-Fernandinho-Milner-Nasri-Navas in Mid just to mention a few it won't stop them from going out this summer and trying to get another mid. Ferguson used win a title and immediately go out and buy two or three top class players. We can fit Cesc in and if he turns out to be more we can drop someone else, it's about having the strongest possible team not about scraping a team together and if we get a few injuries we're fooked which is what happened this season.

Agreed which is exactly why I said earlier why I'd rather see re enforcements brought in, in the areas we need most for a player for the starting 11 a CF, DM and LW making the like of Podolski and Arteta and Giroud absolutely brilliant players to have on the bench giving us strength in depth.

No point strengthening our strongest point in the team bring in a left winger would essentially make Cazorla interchangeable with Ozil foregoing the need to play either of them in a position there weak in out on the wings.

I totally get your point, but how many games this season did we have Ozil-Caz-Ramsey-Arteta fit for? Just going off past seasons I fully expect one of them to have at least a couple of months lay-off at some point. If it's true and he's there for 25m I'll say go for it...Obviously we need strengthening in other areas first but Jesus this is Cesc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,121 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

FearDark wrote: »
    I totally get your point, but how many games this season did we have Ozil-Caz-Ramsey-Arteta fit for? Just going off past seasons I fully expect one of them to have at least a couple of months lay-off at some point. If it's true and he's there for 25m I'll say go for it...Obviously we need strengthening in other areas first but Jesus this is Cesc.
    He'd make the team ahead of Cazorla too.

Anyone that wouldn't take Ozil for £25M is bonkers. He's improve any team he goes to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Of course he would get in ahead of Ozil. Easily. I think you have the tinted glasses on regarding Ozil.

I am sick of some Arsenal fans on here almost having to apologise for being disappointed with Ozil and being told look at the stats and we don't know what we are talking about.

Cesc was consistently what Ramsey has been for a season. He showed up in the big games all the time.

Ozil played really well in one big game against Napoli.

Practically anonymous v Man United (twice) Bayern at home, Dortmund (twice), City away, Chelsea and horrendous against Liverpool.

Cup Final v Hull. Anonymous.

Yes we all know it's his first season. Yes we know he 'lacked runners'. Yes we know he will improve next season.

But that in no way means people can't criticise him for his performances this season. We are allowed to do so. It's ok to be disappointed with him so far.

Also his attitude irritates. Now I await the 'he's not that type of player'. He is a luxury. Bull****. Cesc or Ramsey don't have that excuse. There attitude is what gets the big performances out of them on the big day. Why can't he do both like them?

And furthermore to reiterate all his critics on here do expect miles more from him next year. We won't be at all surprised. And if he does that in no way does take away from the criticism on here for this season. It is wholly justified on the basis of this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Of course he would get in ahead of Ozil. Easily. I think you have the tinted glasses on regarding Ozil.

I am sick of some Arsenal fans on here almost having to apologise for being disappointed with Ozil and being told look at the stats and we don't know what we are talking about.

Cesc was consistently what Ramsey has been for a season. He showed up in the big games all the time.

Practically anonymous v Man United (twice) Bayern at home, Dortmund (twice), City away, Chelsea and horrendous against Liverpool.

Yes we all know it's his first season. Yes we know he 'lacked runners'. Yes we know he will improve next season.

But that in no way means people can't criticise him for his performances this season. We are allowed to do so. It's ok to be disappointed with him so far.

Also his attitude irritates. Now I await the 'he's not that type of player'. He is a luxury. Bull****. Cesc or Ramsey don't have that excuse. There attitude is what gets the big performances out of them on the big day. Why can't he do both like them?

And furthermore to reiterate all his critics on here do expect miles more from him next year. We won't be at all surprised. And if he does that in no way does take away from the criticism on here for this season. It is wholly justified on the basis of this season.

I'm sick of you knocking a footballer who's trying to get used to a faster pace and stronger league, wait until the second season before you start talking rubbish about Ozil.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Success in football nowadays is dependent on an excellent squad not an excellent 11.

Arsenal fans moaning for years we don't sign enough quality players and now turning there nose up at Cesc? Really

For me he is in ahead of Wilshire and Cazorla easily

You can't ignore his stats for a first season though and they are effective stats goals scored and direct assist. He hasn't been as great as some make out but he hasn't been poor as your rant either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Soups123 wrote: »
    Success in football nowadays is dependent on an excellent squad not an excellent 11.

Arsenal fans moaning for years we don't sign enough quality players and now turning there nose up at Cesc? Really

For me he is in ahead of Wilshire and Cazorla easily

But people aren't turning their noses up!
    Most people would rather us bring in a new striker and holding mid rather than bring in someone who we don't desperately need.

Cesc would be a luxury buy.. I'd rather have our striker and defensive mid weaknesses sorted before buying a player thats not desperately needed..

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    But people aren't turning their noses up!
    Most people would rather us bring in a new striker and holding mid rather than bring in someone who we don't desperately need.

Cesc would be a luxury buy.. I'd rather have our striker and defensive mid weaknesses sorted before buying a player thats not desperately needed..

But the discussion isn't one or the other I agree we need what you say but if Cesc is available too then we 'd be mad not too at the price

Edit. Also if we get just those players we are still short in my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Cesc like Ozil provides that little bit extra creativity and self assured confidence going forward for any team. Both could be completely off their game but still create something to win a match.

Ozil has had a fine first season. No complaints from me. He has knowledge of the league now and what is expected of him. Seems the type to prove a point to people.

He creates chances. That's his job. I think before the end of March in the league only David Silva created more chances per game than the three per game created by Ozil.

Giroud not converting is an issue which lowers Ozil's stats too. Next season if we get a clinical striker I would not be surprised at all to see Ozil's stats to continue to improve.

Up until Saturday i would have defended Ozil but i now accept that you are right and that Ozil really needs to up it big time next season. He was absolutely shíte on Saturday on what was a big occasion where great players normally come to the fore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Diamond

Ramsey
    Cesc. Wilshere
    Ozil

Just a suggestion

That would absolutely ruin ramsey, i dont want to play our best player out of position for Cesc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

That's way over the top. Just because you disagree with people, it doesn't mean that they've got their head in the sand.

He hasn't been as good as he can be or I expect will be from next season, but he has been a lot better than you give him credit for. His passes lead to a ton of chances, they may not be extremely showy all the time but very effective at opening up space.

And you can't blame him on the performances at Liverpool or Chelsea, every player was the same. Even with City away he got at least one assist

In the cup final towards the end he started taking great advantage of the extra space.

I agree with ya fully about being disappointed with Ozil but it doesnt help having no speed and having to feed an absolute donkey upfront imo.

Do people think we would have won the FA cup this season without Ozil?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Raf32 wrote: »
    I agree with ya fully about being disappointed with Ozil but it doesnt help having no speed and having to feed an absolute donkey upfront imo.

Absolute donkey ? That's ridiculously harsh. Then again people called Adams a donkey.

I'd say Giroud and Ramsey have a much better understanding than Giroud and Ozil.

HazDanz wrote: »

no chance

He was motm against Everton but apart from that ?

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    Absolute donkey ? That's ridiculously harsh. Then again people called Adams a donkey.

I'd say Giroud and Ramsey have a much better understanding than Giroud and Ozil.

May be a harsh use of words but he is an average player. Cesc wouldnt be getting the stats he was getting with us if he had to create for giroud. They would want to have a better understanding, been playing together a year longer. Ozil got no preseason either in fairness.

Yep indeed

It was a genuine question just think there's something about his prescence in the team which provides a calm going forward.

Something similar to Mert in defence. Kinda hard to articulate exactly what it is.

We always look poorer without him in the team imo, I don't think we would have won the cup if he wasn't there.

Played pretty well against Liverpool too.

I'm sure we could have hypothetically but it's all if's and buts.

May be a harsh use of words but he is an average player. Cesc wouldnt be getting the stats he was getting with us if he had to create for giroud. They would want to have a better understanding, been playing together a year longer. Ozil got no preseason either in fairness.

Fair enough on Ramsey and Giroud having had longer together but I'd place Giroud above average. He's not quick granted, but he's excellent at making space for himself and others. Some of his knock-ons and flicks around the penalty area are inspired. Something that average players would be incapable of.

He has also worked all season like a trojan. Thankfully he didn't get injured because we would have really struggled without him. He did have that dip when the personal revelations came out and could really have benefitted from more of a rest then but on the whole I think he's had a very good season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Yeah, Sanogo played a more important role in winning it than özil

Fair enough on Ramsey and Giroud having had longer together but I'd place Giroud above average. He's not quick granted, but he's excellent at making space for himself and others. Some of his knock-ons and flicks around the penalty area are inspired. Something that average players would be incapable of.

He has also worked all season like a trojan. Thankfully he didn't get injured because we would have really struggled without him. He did have that dip when the personal revelations came out and could really have benefitted from more of a rest then but on the whole I think he's had a very good season.

I like Giroud a lot and he produces some great moments (although if you try them flicks enough, one is bound to come off once in a while). But no way should he be starting for us. Worst starting striker in years but would be a brilliant sub. Id take Fabregas if we got a top centre forward though and play something like this:

Ramsey Cesc
    Walcott Ozil Ox
    New striker???

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ozil's best game for us this season (bar maybe Napoli) was in the FA cup.
    Edit: Nevermind, was already acknowledged.

I like Giroud a lot and he produces some great moments (although if you try them flicks enough, one is bound to come off once in a while). But no way should he be starting for us. Worst starting striker in years but would be a brilliant sub. Id take Fabregas if we got a top centre forward though and play something like this:

Ramsey Cesc
    Walcott Ozil Ox
    New striker???

Giroud would work well in a 4 - 4 - 2. What's for sure is that we should not have gone a whole season with only 1 first choice striker.

Giroud would work well in a 4 - 4 - 2. What's for sure is that we should not have gone a whole season with only 1 first choice striker.

totally agreed, farcical tbh. pity giroud didnt have the summer to recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

I would like to see Arsenal revert to a 4-4-2...think Giroud would be much improved if he had someone to play off

No way we should change formation to suit Giroud. He isn't good enough to be in the starting 11.

• Advertisement

Ah no I'm not saying we should change it to suit Giroud, I just preferred the style when it was 4-4-2...although it was Bergkamp and Henry up front

Barlett wrote: »
    Ah no I'm not saying we should change it to suit Giroud, I just preferred the style when it was 4-4-2...although it was Bergkamp and Henry up front

Ozil is our Bergkamp though, we just need to find that Henry to play infront of him.

Pretty much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Up until Saturday i would have defended Ozil but i now accept that you are right and that Ozil really needs to up it big time next season. He was absolutely shíte on Saturday on what was a big occasion where great players normally come to the fore.

To be fair, I thought Ramsey was shíte on Saturday as well until he scored the goal. I agree with what you are saying though, Ozil does need to improve next season but I have no doubt he will.

I normally enjoy reading your posts but jesus that's a piss poor rant.

Also were does the idea of Cesc being a leader come from or always showing up? There was many a time were Cesc was criticised for not performing in big games, games against Barcelona particulary spring to mind.

Cesc is a fantastic player but certainly not a leader on the pitch, Ramsey was poor against Hull yet you can criticise Ozil for his performance and on the same hand praise Ramsey the mind boggles.

Criticise Ozil for performances against Chelsea, Liverpool etc is one thing that has grated on me all season yes he was poor but why does he merit special criticism when pretty much every player in an Arsenal jersey in those games had games they would like to forget?

Criticise the team, there work ethic, the motivation, the tactics but to single out one player in a performance were every player was poor is beyond ridiculous.

Some of the criticism being aimed at Ozil despite his stats I might add are often reminiscent of the same criticism Ramsey came in from his own fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Marty please read my post again and tell me what is factually wrong in what I said??

I have acknowledged Ozil is a class player who will likely thrive next year but on THIS season has been poor for us.

I acknowledge certain factors have not helped but I do not use that as an excuse for everything.

You then get selective with my point regarding Ozil and big games. You say why did I pick him out againsy Liverpool and Chelsea. I meant the Chelsea game in the Emirates as he did not play at the Bridge. Yes we were awful against Liverpool no question but were all our players consistenly poor against the top teams?? No they werent. Ozil consistently was.

Ramsay was not MOM against Hull I agree with you. But you pick one game. I have highlighted a host regarding Ozil. Ramsey then pops us with the winner.

Im sick of criticism of Giroud who isnt a donkey but is worked like one and gives his all to the maximum of his limited ability. The man produced a moment of genius to create a huge goal im Arsenal history. Had Ozil done that we would never hear the end of it and rightly so. Thats what we expect regularly from a world class German international.

I make no apologies for holding a 42 million pound experienced international to a higher standard than Arteta, Cazorla, Ox, Giroud, Sanogo etc.

The fact now that we are citing his calming affect and

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

If Cesc is available we absolutely need to go for him. Yes we have plenty of midfielders but how often have we been stuck without top quality players.

I think at this stage we are looking at Wilshere missing 2-3 months of a season really. Cesc was injury prone enough over his last two seasons. We got lucky with Flamini considering how often he was injured at Milan. Rosicky has to be managed very carefully and then in th ewide areas Theo is another sick note and Chamberlain has had quite a few niggly ones since the knee injury on the first day.

Against weaker teams we could easily accommodate the three big world class players:

----Ramsey---Cesc

Ozil

And then against bigger teams where we need a bit more of a defense minded player in there then we can easily rest one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I actually worry for the sanity and intelligence of anyone who claims that we don't need or shouldn't sign Cesc at a knocked down proce, not only vastly improving our squad but also denying direct rivals the opportunity to sign him, the mind boggles!

And also anyone that refers to Giroud as useless or a donkey, seriously needs a reality check.

Yeah it would be unreal to have actual world class players competing for a place in the starting 11, and be able to rotate without any real drop in quality.

Still, priority should still be the striker and more defensive minded midfielder first.

And also anyone that refers to Giroud as useless or a donkey, seriously needs a reality check.

everyone's entitled to an opinion, fact remains he is nowhere near good enough to be our first choice striker.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement