Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Maybe this is a bit much but anyone think United might wait for us to do our business before moving for Cesc? As in if we got another midfielder and maybe had our squad at full capacity they would then move late leaving us no room to move and Fabregas having a reasonable excuse to move to them??

Bit conspiritorial I know but could materialise??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Maybe this is a bit much but anyone think United might wait for us to do our business before moving for Cesc? As in if we got another midfielder and maybe had our squad at full capacity they would then move late leaving us no room to move and Fabregas having a reasonable excuse to move to them??

i think thats gonna happen johnny, good shout! i really can see him at united next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Marty please read my post again and tell me what is factually wrong in what I said??

I have acknowledged Ozil is a class player who will likely thrive next year but on THIS season has been poor for us.

I acknowledge certain factors have not helped but I do not use that as an excuse for everything.

You then get selective with my point regarding Ozil and big games. You say why did I pick him out againsy Liverpool and Chelsea. I meant the Chelsea game in the Emirates as he did not play at the Bridge. Yes we were awful against Liverpool no question but were all our players consistenly poor against the top teams?? No they werent. Ozil consistently was.

Ramsay was not MOM against Hull I agree with you. But you pick one game. I have highlighted a host regarding Ozil. Ramsey then pops us with the winner.

Im sick of criticism of Giroud who isnt a donkey but is worked like one and gives his all to the maximum of his limited ability. The man produced a moment of genius to create a huge goal im Arsenal history. Had Ozil done that we would never hear the end of it and rightly so. Thats what we expect regularly from a world class German international.

I make no apologies for holding a 42 million pound experienced international to a higher standard than Arteta, Cazorla, Ox, Giroud, Sanogo etc.

The fact now that we are citing his calming affect and

Pretty much all of it, for me Ozil has not been poor for starters.

I didn't get selective you said Ramsey is a player who turns up in big games and in the same breath criticised Ozil for his performance against Hull when truth be known Ramsey had a poor game.

You also claimed Fabregas was a leader which he is not. Ramsey has had a terrific season but yet I could highlight games were he hasn't turned up but that would be just plain silly Ramsey didn't turn up in a lot of the games you have criticised Ozil for.

Well have to agree to disagree, you think Ozil has been poor his stats and my own opinion disagree. Is it a coincidence our form dipped even further when he went out of the team I think not. Is it a coincidence our win percentage dropped by 20% when Ozil isn't in the team?

Or will United even go for him ;) after spending just under 40 million on Mata and needing essentially a whole new defence along with wingers etc can they afford to spend a chunk of there budget on Cesc.

Now now Marty you know full well there was a number of factors why our win % dropped significantly. The main one being our run of tough fixtures. All the evidence would suggest that Ozil's performances in the big games or return fixtures would have made no impact. It's funny, I saw on sky the exact same drop when Wilshere is in the team. Not many claiming Jack was critical to us this year.

The massive losses to us were Ramsey and Walcott.

I think you are being hugely disingenuous regarding Ramsey. He was excellent in nearly all our games including the big ones he was fit for like Dortmund away, Liverpool home, Chelsea at home was our only threat and his goals, assists, tackles and effort were above question.

regarding the cup final Ramsey had a poor first half but he didnt shy, pull out of 60/40 balls in his favour or hide. He plugged away and scored the winner.

Would you say Ozil had as good as Season as Ramsey??

Regarding Cesc he pulled us through some big games too in fairness. North London Derbies, the two Barca home comebacks, Milan, Juventus all spring to mind immediately.

Its a good question about taking him back. Do we do it for ourselves or to deny others?? Hmmm.

Anyone know how Coquelin has done out on loan? Kind of forgot about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

New Barcelona manager Luis Enrique (Martínez García) is to be presented at the Nou Camp today! It will be interesting to see if he sanctions any departures from the club this summer.

Now now Marty you know full well there was a number of factors why our win % dropped significantly. The main one being our run of tough fixtures. All the evidence would suggest that Ozil's performances in the big games or return fixtures would have made no impact. It's funny, I saw on sky the exact same drop when Wilshere is in the team. Not many claiming Jack was critical to us this year.

The massive losses to us were Ramsey and Walcott.

I think you are being hugely disingenuous regarding Ramsey. He was excellent in nearly all our games including the big ones he was fit for like Dortmund away, Liverpool home, Chelsea at home was our only threat and his goals, assists, tackles and effort were above question.

regarding the cup final Ramsey had a poor first half but he didnt shy, pull out of 60/40 balls in his favour or hide. He plugged away and scored the winner.

Would you say Ozil had as good as Season as Ramsey??

Regarding Cesc he pulled us through some big games too in fairness. North London Derbies, the two Barca home comebacks, Milan, Juventus all spring to mind immediately.

Its a good question about taking him back. Do we do it for ourselves or to deny others?? Hmmm.

I think a lot of what Ozil does is understated and goes unnoticed and I do think we felt his loss more than some think.

Ramsey and Walcott were massive losses because they were the only players making runs and creating space but be interesting to see if you took Ozil out of the team and left them two in would it have a big difference to the amount of chances created for Walcott and Ramsey I think it would ;).

Yes he did have good games as I said Cesc is fantastic but there was also a lot of games he went missing in, for me he's not a leader on the pitch.

No I wouldn't say Ozil had as good a season as Ramsey but not many did for me if Ramsey had of stayed fit he probably would have gotten player of the season imo, doesn't mean Ozil was piss poor though ;).

I think if Cesc does become available and we take him back we do it to deny others more so than for ourselves.

As I've said before it's not about not wanting Cesc back it's about in my opinion money being spent in other areas of the pitch were it is more needed and still giving us strength in depth.

Once again for the record I never described him as piss poor. I stand over that I say he was disappointing overall in terms of expectation. And as for unnoticed and understated thats the kin of thing Liverpool fans say about Lucas. Not what we should be saying about our record breaking signing!

On Cesc I think we are on the same page. Would I like him back? Yes. At the expense of a striker? No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Interesting what may possibly happen as regards Vela/Griezmann and that buyout clause.
    Think that would be the best possible outcome for us.

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/arsenal-want-12m-for-vela-clause-or-could-get-griezmaan-for-18m-i

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

In fairness I think people are over defensive about Ozil, for me he was decent. The dip in form coincided with losing Ramsey, Ozil, Wilshere (who had just hit great form) and Walcott, so those stats are a bit misleading.

Just saw Eto'o is out of contract.

Any takers?
    Eto'o wrote:
    "I wish to also say that I am not going to the United States or to the Middle East," he said.

"I will continue at the top level. I will continue to play the Champions League.

"My romance with this competition is far from over. I will not tell you where, but I will be at the top level. I am 33 and I have two World Cups to play.

"Before me there are other players who went on until the age of 41. So I can continue."

Just saw Eto'o is out of contract.

Any takers?

nursing-home.jpg

He's 33. A one or two year deal. Shouldn't be too expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

Overall Ozil had a decent season, he is now settled in and has a feel for the league and the team. After a good pre-season he will shine for the 2014/15 campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Ronan14 wrote: »
    Overall Ozil had a decent season, he is now settled in and has a feel for the league and the team. After a good pre-season he will shine for the 2014/15 campaign.

And if he doesn't it will probably be Giroud's fault

greendom wrote: »

Giroud wont be the main striker or its wengers fault :)

Laughed out loud in the office when I read that!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

AdamD wrote: »
    In fairness I think people are over defensive about Ozil, for me he was decent. The dip in form coincided with losing Ramsey, Ozil, Wilshere (who had just hit great form) and Walcott, so those stats are a bit misleading.

I agree re Ozil and that he was far from poor and was quite decent all things considered, it's the suggestion that we suddenly as a football club don't need players of the calibre of Cesc becasue we have Ozil and Ramsey thats laughable.

If we sort the striker and DM situation, i dont think anyone would mind him coming back, our squad would be unbelievable then especially in the middle. But if we resign him, one or even two of them areas will be neglected.

• Advertisement

I agree re Ozil and that he was far from poor and was quite decent all things considered, it's the suggestion that we suddenly as a football club don't need players of the calibre of Cesc becasue we have Ozil and Ramsey thats laughable.

:pac: not one single person has said that. What people have been saying is that Cesc is not badly needed were as a LW/DM/CF and possibly a RB are if we can get all them and still afford Cesc fcuk then go for it.

Bringing in a starting LW/DM/CF would leave us with a very strong squad and bench provided no one is sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,121 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Remy, Schneiderlin, Aurier, and Cesc and I'd be happy.

This is me being reallistic by the way. Obviously I'd prefer more/better but it's not likely to happen.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Remy, Schneiderlin, Aurier, and Cesc and I'd be happy.

This is me being reallistic by the way. Obviously I'd prefer more/better but it's not likely to happen.

Goalie as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Anyone know how Coquelin has done out on loan? Kind of forgot about him.

Not well at all I heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Think I saw this asked before but didn't see the answer, would Cesc count as homegrown if he came back? I would have no problem with him returning really so long as it doesn't use up money that we need for other positions that we need filled. The squad was too small this year for all the competitions and with rotation, injuries and 4 comps to play in their will certainly be enough game time for all. So once we have money for sub goalie RB DM and striker along with maybe a left sided winger I would take Cesc in a heartbeat, we need a squad not a team because I think thats where the wheels came off this year.

Open to correction but I'm fairly sure both Cesc and Vela would count as home-grown. Richards too obviously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

AdamD wrote: »
    Open to correction but I'm fairly sure both Cesc and Vela would count as home-grown. Richards too obviously

I think it's three years as a youth, no?

Anyway, can't see why anyone would be against taking Cesc back. Neither Rosicky or Arteta have two years left in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Anyone else get the Arseblog book in the Merc?

a7apsQR.jpg?2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Where has all the fabregas talk come from

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Barca rumoured to have transfer listed him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

All this discussion about Fabregas makes me hungry!!!!:cool:

On another subject:
    I was looking for an excuse to do it. I reckon a cup is a good one, don't you think?

http://imgur.com/nUY3A5s

Irish Aris wrote: »

On another subject:
    I was looking for an excuse to do it. I reckon a cup is a good one, don't you think?

I take it then you haven't heard about the new crest to coincide with the new puma deal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Anyone else get the Arseblog book in the Merc?

a7apsQR.jpg?2

Is it worth the €25? Was thinking about ordering a copy online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I take it then you haven't heard about the new crest to coincide with the new puma deal?

Irrelevant, my friend! :)
    Proud Gunner either way!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Is it worth the €25? Was thinking about ordering a copy online.

It seems to be really well made anyway. Only about 250 pages and can't vouch for the content as I haven't read it yet but I'm a fan of his and glad to support it either way. Seems like a good memento to have anyway.

Met the man himself and got it signed *swoon* :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Irrelevant, my friend! :)
    Proud Gunner either way!!!

You should get a tattoo of the entire jersey fitted perfectly to your body and you'll never need a new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

gosplan wrote: »
    I think it's three years as a youth, no?

Anyway, can't see why anyone would be against taking Cesc back. Neither Rosicky or Arteta have two years left in them.

Far as I understand its 3 years in the country prior to turning 21, so Cesc and Vela would both count

On another subject:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTBYdAn2gVeb_VXAUfsDMss8zUDDGNNzlvoSNJ-Ylnz3qWaFYNxXg

This is much cooler!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Yeah, Sanogo played a more important role in winning it than özil

Ah here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTBYdAn2gVeb_VXAUfsDMss8zUDDGNNzlvoSNJ-Ylnz3qWaFYNxXg

This is much cooler!

Is that your own?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Anyone thinking Cesc was not a leader must have missed a lot of games.
    He carried us nearly single handed at times, never shirked a challenge and scored some very important goals.
    The fans do not adore ordinary Joe Soaps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YzUVDUWB_A

Soups123 wrote: »
    Is that your own?

No just one I spotted on Google images. If I was going to get one, it would either be a cannon or the old crest, never really warmed to the new crest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

No just one I spotted on Google images. If I was going to get one, it would either be a cannon or the old crest, never really warmed to the new crest.

I think the cannon is the way to go maybe not that big a smaller neat one on the chest or back shoulder

On another subject:

Is that your own or an image you found?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Don't get the crest tattoo it will age really quickly and the colors will fade. Something like the cannon will look good a lot longer or even the old art deco type crest design would look great in black/grey

• Advertisement

So Sagna's off to city on a three year deal at £150,000 a week.

Fair play to him. No way were we going to be able to match that. As great as he is, that's a ludicrous deal for a 31 year old rw/cb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

So Sagna's off to city on a three year deal at £150,000 a week.

Fair play to him. No way were we going to be able to match that. As great as he is, that's a ludicrous deal for a 31 year old rw/cb

Much as I like him and wanted him to stay, no way could we match that, nor would I want us to. As to City - FFP ? What FFP?

Much as I like him and wanted him to stay, no way could we match that, nor would I want us to. As to City - FFP ? What FFP?
    Will he even make the team ahead of Zabaleta?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Will he even make the team of Zabaleta?

and micah richards :confused::cool::cool:

Mercenary stuff from Bac, lost a lot of time for him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement