Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

Raf32 wrote: »
    Mercenary stuff from Bac, lost a lot of time for him.

Are you kidding me?!

7 years faithful servant. Never impetuous. Generally always played well. At least solidly.

I have no ill will towards the man at all. Some people think when you play for a club you marry it and have to stay til the end of your career! It's still just a job for a lot of professionals. Who here wouldn't change company if you were offered more than twice your salary a few years before your retirement?

Mercenary my ass. It's not like he held us over a barrel or tried to push through us selling him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

So Sagna's off to city on a three year deal at £150,000 a week.

Fair play to him. No way were we going to be able to match that. As great as he is, that's a ludicrous deal for a 31 year old rw/cb

do you have a link for this? Something reliable?

second hand, but Arseblog rarely posts unsubstantiated rumours:
    http://news.arseblog.com/2014/05/lequipe-claim-sagna-to-city-is-a-done-deal/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I see what Fabregas did to be a lot worse and plenty of people are clamoring for him back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Is it worth the €25? Was thinking about ordering a copy online.

Missed the event last night. Would love to get this but I'm not paying 33% of cost on postage (€8)

Is there anywhere I could pick this up in Dublin somewhere.

I'd e-mail Arseblogger but he doesn't seem to reply to mails.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Good look to bac he deserves the pay day

Hope he regrets it next season watching his former club lift the title :)

second hand, but Arseblog rarely posts unsubstantiated rumours:
    http://news.arseblog.com/2014/05/lequipe-claim-sagna-to-city-is-a-done-deal/

I wonder whether there is a new French source for that or whether l'Equipe are only picking up now the rumours that were in the British papers last weekend?

Out of the 1,000 transfer rumours involving Arsenal every summer, about 5-8 turn out to be true. This could well be one but until I see quotes from a player or a club I tend to doubt them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,130 ✭✭✭G1032

Is have a lot more time for Bac than I would for Cesc. Don't ever recall Bac going on strike to force a move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Quazzie wrote: »
    Will he even make the team ahead of Zabaleta?

They might use him as a centre back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Aurier, Griezmann, Remy and Cesc. Would be happy with that. (dreamland)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Got this from arsenal mania, can't find a quote yet cause only just been reported

Guillem Balague has just said that barca are going to accept any bid over 34million pounds(40million euros) and that arsenals back room staff has told wenger to get him back. He also said we have a buy-back clause.... so it seems he will be leaving barca... presumably for united or us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Got this from arsenal mania, can't find a quote yet cause only just been reported

Guillem Balague has just said that barca are going to accept any bid over 34million pounds(40million euros) and that arsenals back room staff has told wenger to get him back. He also said we have a buy-back clause.... so it seems he will be leaving barca... presumably for united or us.

Song, great news:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Ok the awkward question. Let's just say United bid and we bid.

Where do ye reckon he will go??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Ballague hasn't a clue. On Tuesday on Revista de La Liga he said that Fabregas has a buyout clause of 40m euros, when it is actually 200m. (Was reported by many papers at the time of the signing to be the case).
    Also said that Arsenal do not have a clause in the contract for first refusal.

He has now completely backtracked it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Arsenal, no doubts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,120 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Is that a serious question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Will he even make the team ahead of Zabaleta?

Does he care for £150K a week.....;)

All this banter about Giroud being this that and the other......HE GOT THE WINNER AGAINST SPURS, with a well classy finish. Worth the money alone for that.....:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I see what Fabregas did to be a lot worse and plenty of people are clamoring for him back.

I don't understand why as he clearly hasn't set the world alight at Barca. Plus he wanted out when he was with us, so he's untrustworthy too.

• Advertisement

Watching old videos has made me want Fabregas back even more, the guy's world class. His stats for Barca are still incredible despite being played out of position most of the time.

42 goals and 48 assists in 151 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Sagna completed his contract admirably. He owes us nothing.

Is that a serious question?

Yes of course it is. I have absolutely no faith in a footballers words. Absolutely none. Dont think any of them are different. Wouldnt surprise me if he picked United. Thats genuinely why I ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Yes of course it is. I have absolutely no faith in a footballers words. Absolutely none. Dont think any of them are different. Wouldnt surprise me if he picked United. Thats genuinely why I ask.

Arsenal will have some additional pulling power in that his partner and child still live in London.

Reasons we wont sign Cesc and a DM:

For 5 positions:

Arteta
    Flamini
    Diaby
    Ramsey
    Wilshere
    Rosicky
    Ozil
    Cazorla
    Ox
    Podolski
    Walcott
    Gnabry

Podolski sold and Gnabry loan is the only movement there possibly. No way we add two to that.

Logic and squad size which we cant forget will ensure that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,120 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

For 5 positions:

Arteta
    Flamini
    Diaby
    Ramsey
    Wilshere
    Rosicky
    Ozil
    Cazorla
    Ox
    Podolski
    Walcott
    Gnabry

Podolski sold and Gnabry loan is the only movement there possibly. No way we add two to that.

I stopped reading after Diaby. :pac:

• Advertisement

If cesc is available wenger will buy him no doubt about it

Wouldn't be Suprised to see podolski and arteta go

Can see Gnabry playing 20-25 games this season, big talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

For 5 positions:

Arteta - Has maybe 1 year left & can barely manage two games in a week
    Flamini - Similar to above but probably 2 years.
    Diaby - Not even worth counting tbh
    Ramsey - Top Class
    Wilshere - Very Good but a bit of a crock
    Rosicky - Good but a bit of a crock
    Ozil - Top Class
    Cazorla -Top Class
    Ox - Still very raw
    Podolski - Doesn't seem to be trusted my the manager, rarely plays more than 65 mins when he is picked.
    Walcott - Injury Prone
    Gnabry - Not trusted

There is plenty of games there for Cesc.

Frisbee wrote: »
    There is plenty of games there for Cesc.

True but the point I am making is squad size. They may be all crocks but we have a squad limited by rule. We will need 3 of those listed to go in order for 2 to come in. That is the question. How likely is it that 3 out of those go?

I wouldnt mind seeing some shake up but I just cant see us getting Cesc and a DM when you look at the numbers. Remember we have talk of a LW too.

True but the point I am making is squad size. They may be all crocks but we have a squad limited by rule. We will need 3 of those listed to go in order for 2 to come in. That is the question. How likely is it that 3 out of those go?

I wouldnt mind seeing some shake up but I just cant see us getting Cesc and a DM when you look at the numbers. Remember we have talk of a LW too.

Why would we need more to leave than come in?

• Advertisement

Why would we need more to leave than come in?

Squad size I guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Squad size I guess

What are exactly the rules about squad size/home grown/youth players exactly?

Squad size I guess

Surely the squad size is the same this year as last though?

Or is it that some players will no longer count as youths?

I haven't a clue about the rules but were ok money wise so I Persume he means we won't have enough places for new players unless some go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Sagna gone so at least thats done early and theres plenty of time to replace
    His first competitive game will most likely be against us in the community shield too.
    Good player and I dont blame him for taking the deal offered but City are crazy throwing that much at a 31 year old in a position where they are not desperately stuch tbh, how many of our ex-players do they have now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Here is the video of Arsenal fans chanting for Sagna to stay and apologies if it has already been posted.

But what I want you all to watch is Wenger during the video. What the hell is he doing? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

can't help but think that City are working their way through the whole club. It will be a bid for the Emirates next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Anyone here that have actually watched Aurier? good enough?

Imagine cesc and ozil in the same midfield though

Cesc should bring Pedro with him. Pace and ability and stocks us nicely in that area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭ronjo

Cesc should bring Pedro with him. Pace and ability and stocks us nicely in that area.

cause thats how transfers usually work Johnny :pac:

Assuming that all those out of contract/on loan leave, we have the following on our books.

Overseas (12)

Per Mertesacker, Thomas Vermaelen, Laurent Koscielny, Abou Diaby, Thomas Rosicky, Mikel Arteta, Lucas Podolski, Oliver Giroud, Santi Carzola, Nacho Monreal, Mathieu Flamini, Yaya Sanogo

Homegrown (9)

Wojech Szczesny, Kieran Gibbs, Aaron Ramsey, Theo Walcott, Damian Martinez, Carl Jenkinson, Jack Wilshere, Ryo Miyaichi (unsure if he qualifies), Ignasi Miquel

As well as that we have the following overseas players who future is unclear:

Park, Campbell, Galindo

And the following homegrown unclear:

Coquelin, Daniel Boateng.

All the rest like the OX, Gnabry, Zelalem, Bellerin, Hayden etc. are under-21 and don't count.

Assuming Miyachi and Miquel have no future at the club and neither do the unclear group, we could sign 6 players and at least one of them would have to be homegrown before we would have to sell anyone.

Allowing for a Fabianski replacement and a Sagna replacement/CB, that still leaves four vacancies in the squad.

Martinez, Benzema, Cesc and Vela anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭handsfree

Godge wrote: »

Martinez, Benzema, Cesc and Vela anyone?

That would blow my mind

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭kevinroche3333

Article is a little old but I cant stop dreaming of a Martinez/Ramsey/Ozil midfield!!

http://afootballreport.com/post/48743804752/commanding-pivotal-tenacious-javi-martinez-has

Martinez Benzema and Aurier/RB would have me genuinely believing we could win the league next year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Anyone here that have actually watched Aurier? good enough?

I haven't but they were talking about him on a Bergkamp wonderland a few weeks ago, said he's good enough but might take a season or two to be complete, reckoned corchia of sochaux was ready now

batistuta9 wrote: »
    I haven't but they were talking about him on a Bergkamp wonderland a few weeks ago, said he's good enough but might take a season or two to be complete, reckoned corchia of sochaux was ready now

Thanks, good to hear he is regarded high enough so. On a side note they are gonna have a great pod tonight with Geoff and Jeremy Wilson from the Telegraph on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Thanyks, good to hear he is regarded high enough so. On a side note they are gonna have a great pod tonight with Geoff and Jeremy Wilson from the Telegraph on it.

I haven't listened to it in a few weeks now meant to catch up. What are they doing tonight, transfer talk?

Some quotes here from a director about spending, seems a bit like last year
    http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/arsene-was-always-staying-he-gave-us-his-word-just-after-the-season-started--arsenal-director-lord-harris-9415064.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Is that your own or an image you found?

My own Marty.
    I did it on Tuesday.

Regarding the transfers, I think the wages structure might cause us additional problems.
    Surely the money are there and we can attract players, but will they start thinking outside of the box and offer big salaries to lure in big players?
    And how the current players will react?

And regardless of how much money we have available, there are teams around us with money machines. . .and unfortunately I don't buy all this FFP that Fifa promotes. Unless they are prepared to put heavy penalties on teams, it will never work, and I don't think they are brave enough (or care enough) to so anything drastic.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    I haven't listened to it in a few weeks now meant to catch up. What are they doing tonight, transfer talk?

Some quotes here from a director about spending, seems a bit like last year
    http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/arsene-was-always-staying-he-gave-us-his-word-just-after-the-season-started--arsenal-director-lord-harris-9415064.html

End of season round up with a bitta transfer talk, two boys are really reliable so defo will be listening to it tonight. Last few shows have been very good actually! Saw that article actually, sounds really encouraging, something similar to last year. Hopefully Wenger pulls another gem and throws millions at Cavani.

• Advertisement

I am and neither of them can tackle TBH and not exactly physical either. :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement