Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Latest is Wenger wants to sign James Milner and turn him into a right back.

A few days ago, it was reported he wanted to leave to get more first team action in his preferred central midfield role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Tomorrow's papers full of transfer talk.

according to them we want Cesc back, and we are to bid 18 million for Griezmann and we are bidding with Liverpool for Remy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Just watched an 11 minute clip of all Fabregas's assists in an Arsenal shirt.
    Bring him back!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Can Fabregas play the Arteta role? if he can that midfield is unstoppable if we manage to pull it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Raf32 wrote: »
    Can Fabregas play the Arteta role? if he can that midfield is unstoppable if we manage to pull it off.

Can we not just buy players that are excellent in their positions rather than convert them though!

To be fair though and try not get carried away, if we signed Fabregas we would be looking at midfield options equal to anyone in world club football. Ramsey, Wilshere, Ozil, and Fabregas fighting for positions. Sounds crazy. A Remy or a Bony or a 15-20 million striker who can get in behind and finish would well suffice given the lack of top top strikers available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

We'd be wasting him there.
    To be honest i've never been a fan of having Arteta as our only holding mid.

I'd rather someone more physical.

greendom wrote: »
    Tomorrow's papers full of transfer talk.

according to them we want Cesc back, and we are to bid 18 million for Griezmann and we are bidding with Liverpool for Remy

Funny thing is Greendom is that 55 million would cover those 3. Not bad value!

That said an RB and DM are needed.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    We'd be wasting him there.
    To be honest i've never been a fan of having Arteta as our only holding mid.

I'd rather someone more physical.

agreed Martinez is the dream

Can we not just buy players that are excellent in their positions rather than convert them though!

To be fair though and try not get carried away, if we signed Fabregas we would be looking at midfield options equal to anyone in world club football. Ramsey, Wilshere, Ozil, and Fabregas fighting for positions. Sounds crazy. A Remy or a Bony or a 15-20 million striker who can get in behind and finish would well suffice given the lack of top top strikers available.

if we sign fabregas though, no way will we sign a dm, i would bet my house on it.

if we sign fabregas though, no way will we sign a dm, i would bet my house on it.

Been beating that drum all day or else you're slaggin me!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Do you think the reaction to a possible return of Cesc would be universally positive? Outstanding player that he is and was this wouldn't e even mentioned if things were going well for him at Barca and this is the same guy who (allegedly) went on strike to force the move through.. I would welcome him as he is top class but in not so sure all fans would

Also, what do people think at Mourinho's latest saracastic snide pop at Wenger? (Sorry if this has been mentioned already)

Been beating that drum all day or else you're slaggin me!!

Its just I love Cesc but its arsenal here lol if we sign him, we will get some cheap forward and that will be it. Id rather get a strong DM then the striker. If theres cash available after that we get him but if not i dont want to sacrifice the other two spots as much as well all love him

Its just I love Cesc but its arsenal here lol if we sign him, we will get some cheap forward and that will be it. Id rather get a strong DM then the striker. If theres cash available after that we get him but if not i dont want to sacrifice the other two spots as much as well all love him

Agreed. That is my take on it too. A top striker, top DM and let Wilshere become the player he can be.

I cant justify signing Cesc to prevent United getting hi

But if we got all three id be over the moon!!

Agreed. That is my take on it too. A top striker, top DM and let Wilshere become the player he can be.

I cant justify signing Cesc to prevent United getting hi

I thought i was going mad with the possibility of having to reject Cesc, delighted ya think the same Johnny. Just think we will have the same problems next year. But if Arsene wants to go mad and sign Martinez, Cavani and Cesc i wont be complaining :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I would absolutely love it Kevin Keegan style if we get Cesc back....ONLY AFTER WE DO THE BUSINESS OFF GETTING THE PLAYERS WE NEED 1ST MR WENGER!!!

And exhale.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

I thought i was going mad with the possibility of having to reject Cesc, delighted ya think the same Johnny. Just think we will have the same problems next year. But if Arsene wants to go mad and sign Martinez, Cavani and Cesc i wont be complaining :pac:

Yee are mad you don't turn down a world class player like Fabregas no matter who you already have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Imagine cesc and ozil passing the ball around with little 1-2's brings a tear to the eye thinking about such beautiful things :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Yee are mad you don't turn down a world class player like Fabregas no matter who you already have.

No we would be mad to ignore the one position that prevented us from winning the league this year or to not strengthen our weakest areas first before considering other players who would be nice to have, unless Cesc is willing to play RB for us nest year.

farna_boy wrote: »
    No we would be mad to ignore the one position that prevented us from winning the league this year or to not strengthen our weakest areas first before considering other players who would be nice to have, unless Cesc is willing to play RB for us nest year.

Don't think Wenger will play him at RB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Exactly it's about looking at the bigger picture.

You could have twenty world class CF in the one squad and still not win the league if the rest your team isn't up to scratch and we have areas that need addressing if we want to challenge next season.

We'd all love Cesc but if it's at the expense of a DM, CF, or LW no thanks.

Exactly it's about looking at the bigger picture.

You could have twenty world class CF in the one squad and still not win the league if the rest your team isn't up to scratch and we have areas that need addressing if we want to challenge next season.

We'd all love Cesc but if it's at the expense of a DM, CF, or LW no thanks.

You guys are gonna be so depressed when we sign Fabregas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I am and neither of them can tackle TBH and not exactly physical either. :rolleyes:

Cesc has plenty of power and is very fit, it's Ozil who lacks those qualities.

His lacks of fitness and strength this season was disappointing, he was barely able to walk after the 60th minute in most games this season, for a professional athlete that is not good enough, big improvement needed next year.Soccer is not a stats game, don't care how many assists he has this season, he was a big disappointment.

Cesc will at the least give ous passion, goals and most of all his vision and passing can turn defense into attack in seconds.One of the best in the world and recycling attacks.

Hope he leaves Barca, wasted his best years there.

We lost the league because we had know one to replace Ramsey and Theo's goal threat.

I am certain Cesc can match Ramsey's goal threat and create more, we need goals and Cesc has plenty of goals in him for a midfielder.

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    We lost the league because we had know one to replace Ramsey and Theo's goal threat.

I am certain Cesc can match Ramsey's goal threat and create more, we need goals and Cesc has plenty of goals in him for a midfielder.

So we don't need a striker, all we need is Cesc?

Who said that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Cesc can play centre forward and has scored many goals even hatricks playing as a centre forward when messi was injured :)

But jokes aside a piszczek, cesc and benzema wouldnt be a bad summer imo

We need them all over the pitch, only Giroud, Ramsey, Theo and Podolski when he comes on is a goal threat.

Wilshere, Arteta, Ozil, Ox, Ozil don't score anywhere near enough.

We need them all over the pitch, only Giroud, Ramsey, Theo and Podolski when he comes on is a goal threat.

Wilshere, Arteta, Ozil, Ox, Ozil don't score anywhere near enough.

Everyone who is a regular poster here knows how much I rate Giroud and while I think he is a very good player and think he would flourish in a different role, the reason we didn't win the league this year was, when given the chance, Giroud didn't convert enough chances. I'm not saying he is solely responsible for us not winning the league but if we had Suarez/Aguero/whoever in those positions they would have scored. All we needed to do this season was win three more games and with someone who could have converted those chances we would have done it.

Also that is an interesting choice of players:
    A player who has been injured most of the season, a defensive midfielder
    A player playing his first season in England, and essentially a youth player. Aside from Arteta, and assuming a relatively injury free season, each of those players will add to their tally next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Cesc has plenty of power and is very fit, it's Ozil who lacks those qualities.

His lacks of fitness and strength this season was disappointing, he was barely able to walk after the 60th minute in most games this season, for a professional athlete that is not good enough, big improvement needed next year.Soccer is not a stats game, don't care how many assists he has this season, he was a big disappointment.

Cesc will at the least give ous passion, goals and most of all his vision and passing can turn defense into attack in seconds.One of the best in the world and recycling attacks.

Hope he leaves Barca, wasted his best years there.

Ok so take away the fact Ozil is our highest assister and created the most amount if chances do people think we would have been as close to the top of the league as we were?

Of coarse not, you can't discount the stats.

Soccer is a stats game you can be sure as hell every top manager analyses the crap out of everything down to the finest detail. Football is no longer a sport of sure fook it just throw 11 lads out onto the pitch be grand sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

What about M'vila as a possible DM? Haven't seen him mentioned much around here in recent times.. We were linked with him for AGES before he joined Rubin and now looks to be available for transfer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

We're killing ourselves with all this speculation. Its going to end in tears. This summer I'm expecting nothing and believing nothing until I see the player on arsenal.com holding the jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Prolly get slaughtered for saying this but the hardest thing to swallow is not the hammerings we get and lose the bottle in the big games, the thing that really really gets me is we are so so close to having the PERFECT SQUAD and we just wont do it and sign 2 world class players. We would be right up there for everything if we only do the business in the transfer market. I would put the club in debt for just 2 seasons and spent the £50-80 million and show we are no longer the also rans of the PL.

Also, no point in getting players in this year and letting an established player leave next year. If we get players in now we have to keep the likes of Podolski and the likes too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

keano_afc wrote: »
    We're killing ourselves with all this speculation. Its going to end in tears. This summer I'm expecting nothing and believing nothing until I see the player on arsenal.com holding the jersey.

Yeah right,

It's clear as mud we're getting Martinez, Cesc, Grizeman, Aurier and Remy.

In all seriousness though, we should absolutely sign Cesc because,

1: We will not get a striker this summer that's worth going 4-4-2 for. It's defo not Remy.

2: 4-5-1 has been good this year. 4-4-2 should be an option as it was against Hull and we should have a better 2nd striker than Sanogo. If we're sticking with 4-5-1, there has never been anything to suggest that there won't be a bunch of games for Cesc and furthermore that he wouldn't have an important role to play.

3: in another year, Arteta and Rosicky will be done and we wouldn't be able to get better for the same price then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

If Cesc is available as all the rumours indicate and we have first option then we should snap him up especially if we are challenging on four fronts and from the experience we had with injuries this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

keano_afc wrote: »

Ah but this is the fun part of the off-season ;) Speculation keeps us going until August!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I would break the bank to get Yaya Toure. He seems a little unsettled, so the right deal could get him. If we signed no one else but him I would be very happy. He is what we need to challenge for the title and I think we would challenging if we had him. I don't think there is any other player out there who could have a bigger impact on the team than he would, even a top CF wouldn't. He's what we have sorely missed since Viera left, Cesc is quality but he wouldn't have as big an impact.

jester77 wrote: »
    I would break the bank to get Yaya Toure. He seems a little unsettled, so the right deal could get him. If we signed no one else but him I would be very happy. He is what we need to challenge for the title and I think we would challenging if we had him. I don't think there is any other player out there who could have a bigger impact on the team than he would, even a top CF wouldn't. He's what we have sorely missed since Viera left, Cesc is quality but he wouldn't have as big an impact.

Needs to get on the weights though.

https://vine.co/v/MXB29J6hP0U

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

There's as much chance of Barcelona giving us Messi in exchange for Sanogo as there is of us signing Yaya Toure from Man City this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

There's as much chance of Barcelona giving us Messi in exchange for Sanogo as there is of us signing Yaya Toure from Man City this summer.

9PnQBsg.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,120 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

We need Fernandinho more than we need Yaya in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Quazzie wrote: »
    We need Fernandinho more than we need Yaya in my opinion.

Yeah we already have our own Welsh Toure. No need. A Fernandinho/Martinez is much more needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Wenger's going to revolutionise football by playing Cesc as the False Right Back

AdamD wrote: »
    Wenger's going to revolutionise football by playing Cesc as the False Right Back

And Ozil left back. He tried it out against Bayern at home for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

cesc we love u

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Only dreaming here but imagine switching to 3 at the back, means we could have places for more midfielders :D Something along the lines of below.

1001360_Champions_League_Team.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

With that line-up there'd be a lot more goals - at both ends !

Apparently David Luiz is off to PSG for the small sum of 50million and he doesn't even start for Chelsea. :eek:
    If he is worth that much, how much is Koscienly or Kompany worth? 80 million plus? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

dvemail wrote: »
    Apparently David Luiz is off to PSG for the small sum of 50million and he doesn't even start for Chelsea. :eek:
    If he is worth that much, how much is Koscienly or Kompany worth? 80 million plus? :pac:

Means they'll sign Costa and have plenty left over whilst still complying with FFP. Depressing that one club's idiocy will benefit Chelsea so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Only dreaming here but imagine switching to 3 at the back, means we could have places for more midfielders :D Something along the lines of below.

1001360_Champions_League_Team.jpg

If thats your dreaming would hate to see your nightmares

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement