Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The issue with Benzema is very obvious though, I would be seriously disappointed if our big money striker was hitting the numbers hes hitting at Madrid, here. And seeing as they smash every second team they play 5-0 I'm very sceptical over his ability.

Hes only scored over 20 league goals once! And only hit 30 in all comps once!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

AdamD wrote: »
    The issue with Benzema is very obvious though, I would be seriously disappointed if our big money striker was hitting the numbers hes hitting at Madrid, here. And seeing as they smash every second team they play 5-0 I'm very sceptical over his ability.

His movement and turn of pace would be brilliant at Arsenal, he would score goals in the EPL and fit in nicely.

He is a top top player who has played at the top level for years winning numerous trophies the type of player we should be trying to attract.

To be honest Remy is not even close.

If were not going to go for a big expensive top quality CF I would rather we buy someone young with potential than buy Remy to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

His movement and turn of pace would be brilliant at Arsenal, he would score goals in the EPL and fit in nicely.

He is a top top player who has played at the top level for years winning numerous trophies the type of player we should be trying to attract.

To be honest Remy is not even close.

If were not going to go for a big expensive top quality CF I would rather we buy someone young with potential than buy Remy to be honest.

Of course he would score goals. But would he score more than he does at Madrid? Because if the answer is no hes not worth 30. Remy will get 15 in the league, which is what Benzema tends to get. If there's no difference there (and apart from subjective views of Benzema being great there's really no evidence to suggest he will score 20+ in the league) than I'd rather we spent 10m on Remy and the 20+ spare on a proper left winger.

But we have the mystery of Yaya Sanogo in that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

I would have Remy over Benzema. The latter is so inconsistent, IMO. He gives the impression that he cannot be bothered in a lot of games I have seen him in. We need a fighter and Remy would do that for us.

• Advertisement

Of course he would score goals. But would he score more than he does at Madrid? Because if the answer is no hes not worth 30. Remy will get 15 in the league, which is what Benzema tends to get. If there's no difference there (and apart from subjective views of Benzema being great there's really no evidence to suggest he will score 20+ in the league) than I'd rather we spent 10m on Remy and the 20+ spare on a proper left winger.

I think he would easily score more than 15 goals at Arsenal. If he were to sign for us he would be the focal point of the team and be given a lot of chances.

Also why budget 10 million for a CF and 20 for a LW when we could easily afford both.

Also I don't ever want to see Remy in an Arsenal shirt no where near good enough. If he is our CF we end up with after going for Suarez and Higuain last summer that wouldn't be a step down it would be a mountain sized step down in quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I'm not really sure either way in benzema, he's quite like Giroud, except a bit faster and bit better finishing from what I can tell.

However he is supposed to have a great relationship on the pitch with ozil, which could work well for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Podolski dumping a journalist in the pool

Id love to see Dunphy getting this kinda treatment :pac:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Mario is the one for me.

Hopefully he didn't have his phone in his pocket! (unless it's an Xperia or s5)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Gotta remember that for the vast majority of his Real career, he's been rotated with Higuain. Not going to get 40 league goals when you don't start half the matches.

I have now managed to complete the full set to go along with Per :pac:

k2E4t3G.jpg?2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Do people seriously think that there will be many better options than Benzema (if he is available) this summer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Do people seriously think that there will be many better options than Benzema (if he is available) this summer?

Balottelli.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Balottelli.

agreed jack. I would have him high on my list if he is available.

My point is that it is rather unlikely we will find a Suarez to sign this summer - mostly because they would be unavailable (if they are, then we'd probably have to spend 70-80m to compete with the money-machine clubs and get them in).

So we could put some perspective here.
    The important thing is to find a striker that would fit in the current team. He doesn't necessarily have to be world class, but he has to be the missing piece of the puzzle. A striker that would complement the midfielders we have and help us play with 2 up front if needed, but not spend half a game holding up the play (we already have Giroud for this).
    I believe both Balotelli and Benzema fit that profile. I am sure we will see a few players shining in the World Cup and become potential targets.

There are two more things for me that are really important:
    1.Address the injury situation and this is a top priority. I still hold that if we hadn't lost the players we lost, we would have fought further and longer at the league.
    2.Make any transfers right after the World Cup. New players coming in the team need to train with the team during summer, especially if they are from other leagues. Otherwise we are running the risk of bringing in players that could take forever to adjust and not help the team to their full potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

I would be happy with Balotelli, but I will be keeping an eye on Ciro Immobile during the World Cup. He's 6' 1", so that'll add some well-needed height to our team.

I would be happy with Balotelli, but I will be keeping an eye on Ciro Immobile during the World Cup. He's 6' 1", so that'll add some well-needed height to our team.

Balotelli is 6ft 2 ;). I'd be delighted with him.

Balotelli is 6ft 2 ;). I'd be delighted with him.

I know he is. It's one of the reasons why I want him at our club. I'm just making the point that our new striker need to be tall (at least 6' 0").

Check out this video of Immobile. His goals are very Theirry Henry-esque, but he scores headers, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

If Balotelli has grown up since his time at City, then I'd be happy to take him. If not, then he can stay where he is.

If Balotelli has grown up since his time at City, then I'd be happy to take him. If not, then he can stay where he is.

Apparently since Seedorf has come in he has been much more mature. Not getting as many yellow cards or getting riled up by other players/racist fans. This however may mean that he likes playing for Seedorf and won't want to leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

By then he will most likely not be available anymore. He has already agreed personal terms with Dortmund, and he has openly stated that he wants to go there, even ahead of A. Madrid. Likely to be completed very soon. Dortmund have just increased their initial offer to 19mil, which is as far as I understand close to Juve's and Torino's expectation (50/50 ownership between the 2). Juve had even accepted 15mil (i.e. 7.5 mil. for their 50%) last week, but Torino didn't agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

He's not a good option for us though.

Seriously, he's comparable to Giroud and there's no way they'd play together.

We need a plan B, not a plan A backup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

I have the feeling we will have many disappointed fans in here, come the end of August. . .

I feel it will be the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

gosplan wrote: »
    He's not a good option for us though.

Seriously, he's comparable to Giroud and there's no way they'd play together.

We need a plan B, not a plan A backup

We need to get a good plan A first

Soups123 wrote: »
    We need to get a good plan A first

Giroud will do. He has as good a record as Benzena but playing for Arsenal rather than Madrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

gosplan wrote: »
    Giroud will do. He has as good a record as Benzena but playing for Arsenal rather than Madrid.

Personally I think he needs to be plan be I don't feel he is good enough if we want to challenge for league and cup success

I'm not sure Benzema is the answer either though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

What if we could get Sanchez or pedro from barca and let Theo play up top. Best finisher at the club for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

stuchyg wrote: »
    What if we could get Sanchez or pedro from barca and let Theo play up top. Best finisher at the club for me

Been pondering that myself tbh and think it would work well if he has fully recovered. Would buy Remy for insurance and go with that if we cant get what we want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

I think Podolski is our best finisher. I wouldn't have him as a first choice starter up top though.
    Not sure quite what it is, but there's something missing from his game.

• Advertisement

I think Podolski is our best finisher. I wouldn't have him as a first choice starter up top though.

Concentration I think, he isn't fully focused on the game half the time as best I can tell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

He had a good run for the final games of the season and did very little. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he were to be sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Balottelli.

Balotelli is a great player but destroys every team he has ever set foot in, never stays with the one club for long as he is such a disruptive influence and Wenger has not got the "iron fist" needed to keep him in check. No thanx.....

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Balotelli is a great player but destroys every team he has ever set foot in, never stays with the one club for long as he is such a disruptive influence and Wenger has not got the "iron fist" needed to keep him in check. No thanx.....

Is the "iron fist" really the way to get the best of Ballotelli? Surely he would rebel against that?

greendom wrote: »
    Is the "iron fist" really the way to get the best of Ballotelli? Surely he would rebel against that?

Wenger would be like Mr Burns towards Balotelli, no effect what so ever! He would ruin the club....

Wenger would be like Mr Burns towards Balotelli, no effect what so ever! He would ruin the club....

interested in your evidence for this ?

• Advertisement

Wenger tamed Vieira and with the exception of Giroud's affair, our players are never really involved in scandals. Off the field, they are very disciplined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Wenger tamed Vieira and with the exception of Giroud's affair, our players are never really involved in scandals. Off the field, they are very disciplined.

I think Wenger would provide great structure around Ballotelli's football life. Something he would definitely benefit from.

Exactly and remember we got Van Persie for dirt cheap as well because he had a bad reputation.

Viera was like a kitten towards Balotelli, as for evidence I have none. Its my opinion nothing more nothing less. If Balotelli was all that he would be still at city...Arsenal is a good family club (one or two bad eggs aside) we dont need Balotelli running amuck.

No point in having one of the longest serving managers in the league with a super settled structure in place for one mercenary to ruin it.

Sure why not just get Joey Barton aswell for a DM....Happy Days :p
    Again just my 2cents.

Viera was like a kitten towards Balotelli, as for evidence I have none. Its my opinion nothing more nothing less. If Balotelli was all that he would be still at city...Arsenal is a good family club (one or two bad eggs aside) we dont need Balotelli running amuck.

No point in having one of the longest serving managers in the league with a super settled structure in place for one mercenary to ruin it.

Sure why not just get Joey Barton aswell for a DM....Happy Days :p
    Again just my 2cents.

It's been two years since he's done anything stupid. I think he's finally grown up.

• Advertisement

It's been two years since he's done anything stupid. I think he's finally grown up.
    His attitude is still over the place though. I saw an Inter recently and he really didn't give a toss.

The media in England will just go gunning for his 'off-field antics' though.

They don't really give a **** about that in Italy or Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Arsenal is a good family club. we dont need Balotelli running amuck.

Ah yes. Those good old family clubs who are worth a billion pounds and charge their own supporters the most in the country to go watch them play.

It's a good thing Arsenal has rich families following it. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭king Henry 14

Oh happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

I've just been reading some of the rumours about us being in for Begovic from Stoke. Don't know if there's any truth to it, I'd be pleased if he joined, too keeper who should be paying at a big club

I've just been reading some of the rumours about us being in for Begovic from Stoke. Don't know if there's any truth to it, I'd be pleased if he joined, too keeper who should be paying at a big club

I year ago I could see it happening but Szcz is the better keeper now for me. Can't see Begovic coming to be second choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

The good days when it was shown on free TV :D I remember jumping up and down on the couch that evening like a mad kid when he scored.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Movement.
    I have the feeling we will have many disappointed fans in here, come the end of August. . .
    Well that would be new...

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Mario is the one for me.

I really don't think AW will touch Ballotelli. He couldn't handle Nicky B FFS and he's only 10% of the headcase this fella is.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement