Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

why do people hate arsenal? what have we done?

Not got a British core, innit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Gringo180 wrote: »
    I am not comparing them in terms of talent because in my opinion Lallana wouldn't lace Ozil's boots. My comparison of them is with the way the media have portrayed one of them of having a great season and the other having a poor season when the player who supposedly had the poor season his stats where very similar if not better.

Sure Ozil had better stats than Silva this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

I am not comparing them in terms of talent because in my opinion Lallana wouldn't lace Ozil's boots. My comparison of them is with the way the media have portrayed one of them of having a great season and the other having a poor season when the player who supposedly had the poor season his stats where very similar if not better.

I think you're looking at this the wrong way.

Lallana did have a great season by his standards. If he doesn't do at least as well next season then it will be seen as a disappointment as the bar by which he will be judged from now on, has been raised.

Ozil came to Arsenal with a reputation as world class, and that is the standard he has been judged against. On those criteria, most objective people could agree that he has failed. This is why he's been criticised by the media, and rightly so imo.

On an absolute scale of football performance, Ozil should miles ahead of Lallana over a full season. The fact is that the two players ended up with pretty similar stats. While stats aren't the full story, in this case I think they paint a pretty accurate picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

LOL I love how people expect a player to transplant from one league in one country to a league in another and think that there will be no impact on their performance. The style of play is different to Spain, the player needs to form an understanding with his new team mates. Typically it takes a player a full season to become accustomed to a new league. I think Ozil had a good season considering he moved at the very beginning of the season (didn't have a pre season to get up to speed!).

I fully expect Ozil to have a better 2nd season, especially if we bring in a bit of pace during the transfer window, Ramsey continues on his form this season and Walcott returns from injury without any loss of ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Raf32 wrote: »
    His mindset is all wrong though. He is the second best right back in the league so the one team he should stay away from is the team with a right back clearly better than him. Go to PSG, get just as much money, play week in and week out ( which should be the ambition of every player). He served us well but i cant wish him any luck going to a rival and will be shocked if many fans do.

And be guaranteed to win the league for the next 2-3 seasons. Can't see Monaco putting up too much of a fight just yet.
    Also, you made a good point!

• Advertisement

Just hearing Lallana may be going to Spurs for 30 million. Mad money for a player whos had one decent season. While on the topic of him the media over in England have been singing his praises all season and yet they have been crucifying Ozil and our man has the far superior statistics. Lallana with 10 goals and 8 assists in 42 games whereas Ozil had 8 goals and 14 assists in the same amount of games.

As far as I remember he had a very good first half up until Christmas. I wouldn't be too impressed with his second half, bar one or two games, and he did handle himself well in that friendly against Chile(I think it was).

That said the media will always jump on the bandwagon, then slate and disown them when they do poorly in an international tournament.
    Same old really.

When arsenal win the EPL, people say aww u aint won the CL yet!

Then when we win that they will aww but you aint won the bloody treble yet!

rinse repeat

Then after that it'll be: "Ohh you're style of play is too attacking. Should be better defensively" :D

City will sign sagna to play CB I reckon

Has he played there before?

gandalf wrote: »
    LOL I love how people expect a player to transplant from one league in one country to a league in another and think that there will be no impact on their performance. The style of play is different to Spain, the player needs to form an understanding with his new team mates. Typically it takes a player a full season to become accustomed to a new league. I think Ozil had a good season considering he moved at the very beginning of the season (didn't have a pre season to get up to speed!).

I fully expect Ozil to have a better 2nd season, especially if we bring in a bit of pace during the transfer window, Ramsey continues on his form this season and Walcott returns from injury without any loss of ability.

I think Ozil is going to absolutely wreck the place next year with assists

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    Has he played there before?

Yep. A few times during one of Arsenals many recent injury crisis. He's done pretty well. And would certainly be a good option if Kompany or Demechelis was out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Yep. A few times during one of Arsenals many recent injury crisis. He's done pretty well. And would certainly be a good option if Kompany or Demechelis was out.

Also, his heading stats are outstanding for a full back - especially considering he's not the tallest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I think you're looking at this the wrong way.

Lallana did have a great season by his standards. If he doesn't do at least as well next season then it will be seen as a disappointment as the bar by which he will be judged from now on, has been raised.

Ozil came to Arsenal with a reputation as world class, and that is the standard he has been judged against. On those criteria, most objective people could agree that he has failed. This is why he's been criticised by the media, and rightly so imo.

On an absolute scale of football performance, Ozil should miles ahead of Lallana over a full season. The fact is that the two players ended up with pretty similar stats. While stats aren't the full story, in this case I think they paint a pretty accurate picture.

Yeah I get what your saying mate. Watch Ozil run amuck next season when he is fully settled in, I think he will hit top gear in October/November as he could be still feeling the effects of the World Cup in the early weeks of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Not to say I think he'll flop, but we've heard the 'next season he'll be amazing after he's bedded in' argument about many many players over the years. And the majority of the time it doesn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Not to say I think he'll flop, but we've heard the 'next season he'll be amazing after he's bedded in' argument about many many players over the years. And the majority of the time it doesn't happen.

None of Bergkamp, Henry or Le Bob hit the ground running. They turned out reasonably ok after the bedding in period.

Ozil will be awesome, I'm certain of it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

At this stage our motto should be "Next Year..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    I think Ozil is going to absolutely wreck the place next year with assists

I think we need to play him in his more favoured central role just behind the main striker, you will never see him to full effect playing him out wide as he had been a lot of the time last season, he isnt the type of player that will track back and help out his full back and that is why he was getting so much stick off the media and fans. Ozil is a genius I would rate him in the same bracket as the likes of Hagi, Totti, Pirlo, Iniesta, Fabregas etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Ozil will be awesome, I'm certain of it.

That's my point though, it's not a certainty at all. He will most likely improve, but there's also a chance he will continue to be a good but not great player for the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭Fooker

Maybe city have plans to play Zabaleta at CB beside Kompany, he can play there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

That's my point though, it's not a certainty at all. He will most likely improve, but there's also a chance he will continue to be a good but not great player for the club.

Nothing in life or football is certain. For all we know Suarez could stay at Liverpool do a Torres and not score again.

But me, personally, I think Ozil will be awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Hyzepher wrote: »
    At this stage our motto should be "Next Year..."

That's liverpools motto, we don't want that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Maora Zarate signed for West Ham today. Remember when we were close to signing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

shano_88 wrote: »
    Maora Zarate signed for West Ham today. Remember when we were close to signing him.

He was the young hotshot to watch at Lazio, wasn't he? Ended up at Birmingham for a while I think.

I think we need to play him in his more favoured central role just behind the main striker, you will never see him to full effect playing him out wide as he had been a lot of the time last season, he isnt the type of player that will track back and help out his full back and that is why he was getting so much stick off the media and fans. Ozil is a genius I would rate him in the same bracket as the likes of Hagi, Totti, Pirlo, Iniesta, Fabregas etc

When Chelsea sold Mata I'm pretty sure it was Ozil who was the only player with more league assists than him across Europe in the previous three seasons. so yeah, when used correctly, should be a beast!

http://www.managingmadrid.com/2014/5/28/5758248/morata-to-arsenal-transfer-news

No idea how reputable it is but they are reporting that Arsenal are on the verge of signing Morata. They are also saying there is a 2 year buy back clause for Real Madrid. Cant say I would be too happy with a deal like that.

Maire2009 wrote: »
    He was the young hotshot to watch at Lazio, wasn't he? Ended up at Birmingham for a while I think.

Thats the guy. I though he was going on to big things and was disappointed when we missed out on him. Shows what I know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

I hope Ozil plays to his potential next year but it's going to be tough if Germany have a decent WC run. He'll be playing and training without an extended break for roughly 2 years straight (September 2013 through to May 2015).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

http://www.managingmadrid.com/2014/5/28/5758248/morata-to-arsenal-transfer-news

No idea how reputable it is but they are reporting that Arsenal are on the verge of signing Morata. They are also saying there is a 2 year buy back clause for Real Madrid. Cant say I would be too happy with a deal like that.

According to Di Marzio, Morata is off to Juve.. They're usually pretty reliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Giroud is in talks over a contract extension.
    "I have two years left on my contract [until June 2016] but we are in negotiations to extend. For now, I am here. There are many great things to do," he told footmercato.net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,889 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Or possibly winning trophies bigger than the FA cup?

In that case I assume we can rule out Liverpool as a possible destination?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Flapianksi off to Swansea. Cheers and hope he gets first team football

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Best of luck to him. Bit of a cult hero for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

He could be Fantasy Football gold next season if he can force his way in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

keano_afc wrote: »
    He could be Fantasy Football gold next season if he can force his way in there.

I know nobody should be guaranteed a starting spot but I assume he wouldn't have signed unless he got the guarantee that he'd start the season as No.1 and then it's up to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

What about these Eto'o rumours? Would it be worth taking a chance? Personally I'd prefer to sign players for the long term but could he help the likes of Sanogo with their development?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

He would be a good option for a year but not at the wages he would be looking for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

More and more linking us to Morata. Don't know what to think of this one tbh, especially as there seems likely to be a buy back clause.

• Advertisement

dvemail wrote: »
    More and more linking us to Morata. Don't know what to think of this one tbh, especially as there seems likely to be a buy back clause.

Who was the last player linked to us for a few weeks that we signed last?

Ozil, matter of hours from the news breaking
    Flamini, a couple of days at most from the news breaking
    Cazorla, the same I think?

Anyone we're linked to, I now instantly forget about it. Then the club announce someone else entirely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Anyone we're linked to, I now instantly forget about it. Then the club announce someone else entirely.

Podolski is one that springs to mind.

This is true. Normally when we are continuously linked to someone, we never sign them.

Its funny, we were linked with every available footballer last year and I would say Ozil was one of only a few we werent linked with!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

This is true. Normally when we are continuously linked to someone, we never sign them.

Its funny, we were linked with every available footballer last year and I would say Ozil was one of only a few we werent linked with!

Well we are not linked with Messi so fingers crossed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Well we are not linked with Messi so fingers crossed

You've gone and jinxed that. Not saying anything about R*****o, R****y or A****o.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Bacary Sagna: "It is no longer a secret, I am leaving Arsenal, it is certain."

is he off to City?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Agueroooo wrote: »

is he off to City?

I think it's more or less a done deal though nothing official announced yet.

I'm not bothered by Sagna leaving at all his best years are behind him, now I will be bothered if we don't sign an adequate replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

There's my issue too, Jenko is average and tbh I think above average will be his ceiling which just isn't anywhere near good enough. Not remotely.

I actually have a lot of faith in Jenkinson he proved the doubters wrong once and I think he will again, but regardless we need two capable RB can't be going into a season with one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

While I'd like to see jenks play a bit more Aurier looks like a really decent player and fingers crossed we get him. Don't forget bellerin is coming through also. He's well regarded.
    Either way, thanks Bac for your time. I'd rather he ended up playing for psg than sitting on city's bench but I'm glad he helped us to some silverware before leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I actually have a lot of faith in Jenkinson he proved the doubters wrong once and I think he will again, but regardless we need two capable RB can't be going into a season with one.

I don't believe Jenks is anywhere near the finished article as yet. He is very promising but he needs another year or two as cover to a proper r/b.

http://www.marca.com/2014/05/29/en/football/international_football/1401392071.html?

Another report linking Vela back to Arsenal.

I think there is a very good chance we see Griezmann or Vela at Arsenal next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I don't believe Jenks is anywhere near the finished article as yet. He is very promising but he needs another year or two as cover to a proper r/b.

I agree, we tend do things like a mid table club with no funds whatsoever so no choice but blooding younger lads. Throwing in a youngster with a bright future is grand in cup games and the like. We should be buying quality NOW and rotating anybody with a future and let them learn of the senior players.

As for Eto, he is well well past being useful. Would rather have Sonny then Eto the mercenary TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Eto a no for me, he's past it.

Vela wold be good back up. Griezmann would be a great singing. Bu I want to be hearing rumours of world class singings soon.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement