Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 Mod Warning post #2237

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

niallo27 wrote: »
    Not saying it can't happen just not sure why utd fans are so postive it will happen.

Because we are better placed than Liverpool were back in the day, we will still attract better players than pool and easily pay better wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Rumours that fyffes have opened talks with a merseyside club with a view of being the clubs main sponsor. I wonder which merseyside club it is? Surely somebody will let it slip :D;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Because we are better placed than Liverpool were back in the day, we will still attract better players than pool and easily pay better wages.

Will they be the right players though. Aren't city Chelsea and even liverpool bigger draws for players next season.

Rumours that fyffes have opened talks with a merseyside club with a view of being the clubs main sponsor. I wonder which merseyside club it is? Surely somebody will let it slip :D;)

So good you had to post it twice :P

So good you had to post it twice :P

It needed to be read after i made tge effort ;)

• Advertisement

Will they be the right players though. Aren't city Chelsea and even liverpool bigger draws for players next season.

Yes barring Cavani, Chelsea and City have the FFP to worry about we dont, we'll still sign great players without European footie so no I dont believe they would be better draws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Back in the day? Back in the day liverpool were what united are now, a massive team with years of success behind them, when it fell apart it fell apart badly

I'm not deluded, but nothing I have seen yet convinces me that United will challenge next year, all I know is vidic is gone, Rooney is a dead weight at 300k a week, nani and Valencia and young aren't up to it and jones and smalling would need to improve a lot.

As of yet you have signed no one and don't have cl football, I wouldn't bet on a new manager bad a summer of squad upheaval leading to a title challenge next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Not saying it can't happen just not sure why utd fans are so postive it will happen.

Nothing is ever certain but there's a high possibility that with Van Gaal coming in and a changing of the guard in terms of players that we will be towards the top end again. With less games to play (lack of European football) we can focus on bringing in quality players rather than quantity and focus our energy on the league. It's an exciting yet precarious summer for us as United fans.

You were right about that Ferguson doing well with some average players, but that's the exact reason you are going to find it extremely difficult to maintain a top four spot next season when you can't play the likes of Suarez and Sturridge week in, week out because of the added games. It's a lot harder to go to the likes of West Ham with Borini or Aspas leading the line because you have 3 games in 7 days.

No doubt ye will buy in the summer too but it's difficult to know whether it will be enough to have a squad that can challenge on all fronts without looking at the backups coming in and going 'they're a liability'.

Cyrus wrote: »
    Back in the day? Back in the day liverpool were what united are now, a massive team with years of success behind them, when it fell apart it fell apart badly

I'm not deluded, but nothing I have seen yet convinces me that United will challenge next year, all I know is vidic is gone, Rooney is a dead weight at 300k a week, nani and Valencia and young aren't up to it and jones and smalling would need to improve a lot.

As of yet you have signed no one and don't have cl football, I wouldn't bet on a new manager bad a summer of squad upheaval leading to a title challenge next year

Massive difference these days, more money involved and players are greedy. Rooney has done very well from a poor team,LVG will come in change us just wait and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Yeh very average players weve had the past 20 years.

There was that one lad, one trick pony, did a bunch of stepovers, wonder if he ever amounted to anything, average at best.

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    There was that one lad, one trick pony, did a bunch of stepovers, wonder if he ever amounted to anything, average at best.

Bellion?

Gotta say the tags on this thread are so much easier to read tonight than they were two weeks ago :D

Cyrus wrote: »

Jesus you lads are really desperate tonight. I'm sure there's some argument for Rooney not being dead weight, multiple teams wanting him and a pretty consistently top class scoring record but I wouldn't be sure.

You know what I meant. Ferguson won the league at a canter last year. A decent solid manager comes in and with the same squad utd finish 7th. You really don't think ferguson was doing minor miracles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Jesus you lads are really desperate tonight. I'm sure there's some argument for Rooney not being dead weight, multiple teams wanting him and a pretty consistently top class scoring record but I wouldn't be sure.

Think I'm going to have to create a sig with "ROONEY ISN'T ON 300k a WEEK" in bolded, underlined, size 72 writing.

Lads im up at 7 so ill leave ye all to worry about how we'll get relegated next year, ill be back tomorrow with our wonderful pool friends whe Hull beat us :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I would debate this one with you, but I will give you enough credit to know that you do not actually believe the argument you are attempting to stand over.

You know what I meant. Ferguson won the league at a canter last year. A decent solid manager comes in and with the same squad utd finish 7th. You really don't think ferguson was doing minor miracles.

I heard a rumor fergie was a god... oh **** i let that story slip no pun intended

Bellion?

Nah this lad

bebe_1922211c.jpg

kryogen wrote: »
    I would debate this one with you, but I will give you enough credit to know that you do not actually believe the argument you are attempting to stand over.

Yes your right why would any player want to join city or Chelsea at 250k a week.

• Advertisement

FYFFE TIMES :D

Yes your right why would any player want to join city or Chelsea at 250k a week.

There was another team you mentioned but forgot in this one I think.

There was another team you mentioned but forgot in this one I think.

I said you could argue it. Why not playing great football 99 goals scored. CL football. Huge club huge wages. Why not.

I said you could argue it. Why not playing great football 99 goals scored. CL football. Huge club huge wages. Why not.

Biggest club in the world or a team who have won one truly major trophy in nearly 30 years and that was a freak win lets be honest..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

that depends on what the player wants

does he want to work with jose (mans like marmite)
    do they want to be in the starting 11 (we are dealing with players with international ambitions),city might not be the best place

united can match the wages and give the player game time, (manager thing is probably the same as jose but what can you do). united can also make the players brand much more valuable since united are a huge brand

lots more than just the pay packet to consider

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

viper006 wrote: »
    Haha you think it is with all the liverpool talk. Its just a sign of how utd have fallen that their best moments this season are nights like tonight. Its only reading back over last 4-5 pages you can really see how much yee hurting this season. Its been a monumental rise for liverpool from 7th and an unprecedented fall for utd and yee are hating it haha!! great to be back in the limelight with CL in the bag and utd looking on with envy!!

night lads

At the end of the day bud you are the one coming into the United thread to tell us we are obsessed.
    Yes we have been hurting this year, but we have accepted our season as a write off a long time ago, its very clear who is hurting the most tonight, it's painfully clear to see from your posts how you are clutching at straws to try cheer yourself up and take your mind off what happened.

All I can say to you is get as much joy out of finishing ahead of United and having CL football for as long as you can, because it wont last long, your very small squad and brutal defence combined with the added pressure of midweek matches will show ye up big time next year.

A proper manager, good investment in the summer as well as getting rid of dead weight will have us back in top 4 next season, competing for the title in two years.

Its been a bad year, but the finish has been extremely enjoyable :)

Oh, you do want to play the charade out.

Ok, United is still one of the top 5 names in world football

Generate a massive amount of revenue and can easily pay huge wages

The likes of Chelsea and City have both shown that players will join CL football or not

One season out of the top 3 in 20 years can easily be excused

To think this season will have any great impact on the clubs ability to attract top players is kinda funny

Some players actually have a saviour complex and will want to come to be the guy to rescue United and bring them back to the top

Do you really think the club will be significantly any less attractive to potential targets this summer?

NTMK wrote: »
    that depends on what the player wants

does he want to work with jose (mans like marmite)
    do they want to be in the starting 11 (we are dealing with players with international ambitions),city might not be the best place

united can match the wages and give the player game time, (manager thing is probably the same as jose but what can you do). united can also make the players brand much more valuable since united are a huge brand

lots more than just the pay packet to consider

Not saying they won't pick utd. I'm just saying the competition has never been as tough for players. This is the first time utd won't be able to offer CL football. Things might be tougher that you think.

Huge wages? Can Liverpool really pay huge wages? Where is the money coming from for that?

One swallow does not make a summer, and a team finishing in the top four for a change will hardly usurp a team that regularly wins the league in one season will it?

Spurs have been top four lately, have they become a more attractive prospect then Arsenal, City, Chelsea, United?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It's fecking hilarious that some Liverpool fans are that delusional that they think Louis Van Gaal can't achieve what Brendan Rodgers did, with massive resources, it really is.

Brendan Rodgers with his massive trophy haul and years of success, and Van Gaal a nobody.

But I suppose one season of success, albeit bottling it at the last hurdle, has made a lot of them go mad. Sterling better than Neymar, Rodgers a better manager than Klopp, Guardiola, Simeone.

Anyway roll on next season, strengthening in the summer and we'll be back at the top challenging and hopefully winning within the next few years.

Not saying they won't pick utd. I'm just saying the competition has never been as tough for players. This is the first time utd won't be able to offer CL football. Things might be tougher that you think.

Im sure playing for the biggest club in the world and receiving a huge pay day to do it will ease the pain of no CL football for one year

I don't think players think as short term as you seem to think, particularly not when prestige and enough money is waved at them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

:D from r/reddevils
    Fergie was the one of the two who told Pulis to take the Palace job, everyone else was telling him not to.
    Even after retirement he's still keeping Liverpool off our ****ing perch.

It's fecking hilarious that some Liverpool fans are that delusional that they think Louis Van Gaal can't achieve what Brendan Rodgers did, with massive resources, it really is.

Brendan Rodgers with his massive trophy haul and years of success, and Van Gaal a nobody.

But I suppose one season of success, albeit bottling it at the last hurdle, has made a lot of them go mad. Sterling better than Neymar, Rodgers a better manager than Klopp, Guardiola, Simeone.

Anyway roll on next season, strengthening in the summer and we'll be back at the top challenging and hopefully winning within the next few years.

You made a lot of that up. Pretty ironic considering what you're complaining about

Watching Bryan Roy get interviewed on SSN about Van Gaal and the United job, strange that so many are just taking this as a done deal!

• Advertisement

Facebook twitter and boards.ie are comedy gold this evening....

What's this load of ****. Are you on the piss or what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

United don't have champions league football. You found it hard to sign top players last year when you did have it....and you think this "strengthening" is a forgone conclusion for some reason.

I think you are in for a bit of a shock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

At the end of the day bud you are the one coming into the United thread to tell us we are obsessed.
    Yes we have been hurting this year, but we have accepted our season as a write off a long time ago, its very clear who is hurting the most tonight, it's painfully clear to see from your posts how you are clutching at straws to try cheer yourself up and take your mind off what happened.

All I can say to you is get as much joy out of finishing ahead of United and having CL football for as long as you can, because it wont last long, your very small squad and brutal defence combined with the added pressure of midweek matches will show ye up big time next year.

A proper manager, good investment in the summer as well as getting rid of dead weight will have us back in top 4 next season, competing for the title in two years.

Its been a bad year, but the finish has been extremely enjoyable :)

Oh we'll enjoy it alright. Can't wait. Cl League in the bag at utd's expense. That "bud" is what you call sweet :)

Oh we'll enjoy it alright. Can't wait. Cl League in the bag at utd's expense. That "bud" is what you call sweet :)

Hmm bananas are also quite sweet but dont throw tge skin on the ground someone might slip

• Advertisement

Didn't you say good night a long time ago?

Can't sleep? Too much pain?

I don't think players think as short term as you seem to think, particularly not when prestige and enough money is waved at them

Maybe I just don't think it's going to be easy as a lot of utd fans think to return to the top again. With Rooney on 250k or is it more won't players demand the same as him. Can utd pay these wages like city do.

Kirby wrote: »
    United don't have champions league football. You found it hard to sign top players last year when you did have it....and you think this "strengthening" is a forgone conclusion for some reason.

So you are going to stand over the position of, United won't be able to attract top players?

Cool.

20-18

So you are going to stand over the position of, United won't be able to attract top players?

Cool.

He said hard to not they won't be able to. Are you just reading what you want to support your arguement.

Maybe I just don't think it's going to be easy as a lot of utd fans think to return to the top again. With Rooney on 250k or is it more won't players demand the same as him. Can utd pay these wages like city do.

No, Rooney being on 250k a week doesnt mean every player the club go after will demand parity.

I am not sure many United fans think it is going to be easy to return to the top. Not seriously anyway, much like I highly doubt there are too many Liverpool fans who think this season is an indication that Liverpool are about to dominate English football again (just need to sign a couple of defenders) which I have heard from a couple in the pub.

United can easily pay and out do City in the wages stakes. Hopefully it doesn't come to that though.

So to answer my question then, you don't think United are in a significantly worse position to attract players this season you just think maybe it won't be as easy to return to the top as some of the more optimistic fans of the club do.

Cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The old will players not demand the same as Rooney line, brilliant.

It's like déjà vu with the pool supporters now

I'm sure all Real players demand 400k a week or whatever it is because Ronaldo gets it

Or all the City players demanding 250k a week because Yaya gets it

Oh and remember Mignolet asked for 200k a week because Suarez gets it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Cool.

Well Id prefer to stand over positions I've actually taken. Not a strawman position of your choosing. I wont bother quoting my post....its a few inches above yours. You can read it again if you like and understand your error.

I stated you struggled to sign quality players last year when you had champions league football. Which you did. It's well documented.

You think its going to be easier to sign the best when your rivals can offer more money than you, and can offer champions league football?

He said hard to not they won't be able to. Are you just reading what you want to support your arguement.

No, he said we found it hard even when we did have it

Implying it will be even harder this season, and telling him that he will be in for a shock.

Seems pretty clear that he is of the opinion United will struggle to attract high quality players to me Ted

ps, I am not making an argument, I am mentally bookmarking certain posts to return to later this summer

I am also pointing out flaws in some other peoples arguments.

Kirby wrote: »
    Well Id prefer to stand over positions I've actually taken. Not a strawman position of your choosing. I wont bother quoting my post....its a few inches above yours. You can read it again if you like and understand your error.

I stated you struggled to sign quality players last year when you had champions league football. Which you did. It's well documented.

You think its going to be easier to sign the best when your rivals can offer more money than you, and can offer champions league football?

Maybe you should read your post again then?

Do you remember the part where yous aid you think we will be in for a shock? In relation to attracting top players?

I think I see reverse lights starting to flicker

Edit:
    Here is your argument then, since you dont like my paraphrasing of it
    kirby wrote:
    You found it hard to sign top players last year when you did have it....and you think this "strengthening" is a forgone conclusion for some reason.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement