Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 Mod Warning post #2237

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

i wonder will Uefa find some way to get United into the Europa such as an extra fair play place or something like that?

:pac: and you have the cheek to call us delusional :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

kryogen wrote: »
    Can't see it, I know sky and them have suffered due to Uniteds dreadful season

in what way, as in people cancelled their subscriptions or advertising revenue/viewing figures drops?

interesting point tho, never though of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i wonder will Uefa find some way to get United into the Europa such as an extra fair play place or something like that?

Nope.

The table is out of date, but I can't see there being a huge difference to now.

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/matchday/fair-play.html

We are WAY down the fair play table. we'd have to be the best placed of the sides not already in Europe - which we aren't close to - and we would then have to hope that 'England' is picked at random by Uefa when selecting the fair play entrant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I'd be happy with a domestic treble challenge next year. Forget Europe.

Maybe an FA Cup win at least and a top 3 finish as a realistic season.

• kryogen wrote: »
    With the FA cup and CC there are still plenty of games to go around tbh, add to that the usual injuries we get and I am sure most of the lads can be kept happy enough, wouldn't hurt the squad to be streamlined a little bit anyway, add some more quality as opposed to quantity and hopefully when we return to the CL continue to build the squad again

Either way over the next 3 years or so Rio, Giggs, Evra, Vidic, Carrick, Fletcher, RVP, maybe even Rooney, will need to be replaced.

Young and Valencia, Nani appears to be on the way this year (again)

It would be nice to see the new first 11 start for more than 2 games in a row. This season has been terrible for team stability with the constant chopping and changing.

Nani & especially Young broke my heart on Saturday. With Van Gahl at the helm there gone for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

in what way, as in people cancelled their subscriptions or advertising revenue/viewing figures drops?

interesting point tho, never though of that.

Can't remember the specifics, I just remember them and some other broadcaster maybe saying that they suffered because of United being out of the title race by christmas(November,October, whatever you want to call it!)

Ill have a google after work if you don't come across it

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    It would be nice to see the new first 11 start for more than 2 games in a row. This season has been terrible for team stability with the constant chopping and changing.

Nani & especially Young broke my heart on Saturday. With Van Gahl at the helm there gone for sure.

Wouldn't be so sure about Nani, he is a Van Gaal player for sure :) You might be disappointed!

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Mirror reporting that LVG has blocked Nani's almost completed move to Juve.

Nope.

The table is out of date, but I can't see there being a huge difference to now.

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/matchday/fair-play.html

We are WAY down the fair play table. we'd have to be the best placed of the sides not already in Europe - which we aren't close to - and we would then have to hope that 'England' is picked at random by Uefa when selecting the fair play entrant.

is it not depending on the league as opposed to clubs? as in, it would be England getting the place as opposed to United who just happen to be next in line?
    GSPfan wrote: »
    I'd be happy with a domestic treble challenge next year. Forget Europe.

Maybe an FA Cup win at least and a top 3 finish as a realistic season.

honestly, unless we pull off the summer transfer windows of all transfer windows, we wont challenge for the title next year.last season was coming for several years (as in no title challenge) and while Moyes made it even worse than expected, we would have struggled to 3rd or 4th under a better manager.

Mirror reporting that LVG has blocked Nani's almost completed move to Juve.

Every day they have a headline. Makes you wonder if they are just making this stuff up. Surely not. ;)

• Advertisement

honestly, unless we pull off the summer transfer windows of all transfer windows, we wont challenge for the title next year.last season was coming for several years (as in no title challenge) and while Moyes made it even worse than expected, we would have struggled to 3rd or 4th under a better manager.

Yeah thats why I said maybe 3rd spot in the League!!!

When I say a domestic challenge I don't mean a last day goal difference scenario. Just a decent amount of points off top spot come season end. Like 8 or something. Thats decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Pool fans need to chillout, was some serious tears on Facebook last night.

They don't know title pain until they lose a title by goal difference in the last minute of the league :D

Somewhat annoyed at United fans who I have on my Facebook aswell by their childish taunts. I don't subscribe to the tribalism, but giving Liverpool fans **** after they have thrown away the league, while we languish seventh, calls to me that phrase about making sure your own house is in order.....

GSPfan wrote: »
    Every day they have a headline. Makes you wonder if they are just making this stuff up. Surely not. ;)

I'm going to be very skeptical of everything this summer, trying to not get too attached. Too much rubbish already.

Some papers going with a deal being finalized for Fabregas, others saying Muller is a top target. This morning Robben emerging as LVG's top transfer target, while others have indicated Kroos has signalled he wants to switch to United.

I'm going to probably distance myself from transfer this summer to only take things on value once the deals are done, your head could explode with the amount of nonsense and linked players we will have this summer.

is it not depending on the league as opposed to clubs? as in, it would be England getting the place as opposed to United who just happen to be next in line?

Yes, which is what I have said.

England would get the place, which would go to the highest ranked Fair Play team that haven't qualified for europe, and we aren't close to that.

TheDoc wrote: »

They don't know title pain until they lose a title by goal difference in the last minute of the league :D

Somewhat annoyed at United fans who I have on my Facebook aswell by their childish taunts. I don't subscribe to the tribalism, but giving Liverpool fans **** after they have thrown away the league, while we languish seventh, calls to me that phrase about making sure your own house is in order.....

So you don't think you should give another team or supporters a slagging unless you are on top of the league/europe? When you have taken a season like this on the chin and have a chance to give a little back I see nothing wrong with it. I personally, nor you I would assume can literally do anything to get Uniteds house back in order like so not much I can make sure of there.

Its pretty standard stuff, from the school playground all the way through to adulthood, you slag off your rival fans when the opportunity presents itself. Most of the time its good natured, and if you are going to give it you have to be able to take it. I have taken plenty of stick this season from fans of every club you can imagine :)

Thats ok, they have waited a long time for United to have such a disaster of a season! Hopefully they will have at least as long to wait again, the only people I feel sad about are the ones who have spent so much time focused on rubbing my face in Uniteds failure that they have missed most of their own teams fantastic season.

Its great winding your friends up and ripping the piss out of each other but your own team has to be the main concern for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

they're not used to it.

personally speaking i wasn't arsed about stick when city won the league in 2012. We always felt we can bounce back.

They've waited so long only to potentially slip in ridiculous fashion. It has to be very hard for them. But it's not over.

The liverpool fans lapped up Aguerro winning the title in the last minute, while their team was somewhere down the table, so now they are more than fair game now the roles are reversed.

So you don't think you should give another team or supporters a slagging unless you are on top of the league/europe?

Its pretty standard stuff, from the school playground all the way through to adulthood, you slag off your rival fans when the opportunity presents itself. Most of the time its good natured, and if you are going to give it you have to be able to take it. I have taken plenty of stick this season from fans of every club you can imagine :)

Thats ok, they have waited a long time for United to have such a disaster of a season! Hopefully they will have at least as long to wait again, the only people I feel sad about are the ones who have spent so much time focused on rubbing my face in Uniteds failure that they have missed most of their own teams fantastic season.

Its great winding your friends up and ripping the piss out of each other but your own team has to be the main concern for me!

agreed. it never stopped them celebrating in 1992, when they beat us in 1995 at anfield, when they grabbed the draw against us in 1999, or many other moments when we've missed out or came close to missing out.

but apparently it's different when we do it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

According to this Dutch article LVG has agreed to have Giggs as his assistant manager.

http://www.ad.nl/ad/nl/1017/Buitenlands-voetbal/article/detail/3649700/2014/05/06/Van-Gaal-krijgt-niet-Kluivert-maar-Giggs-als-rechterhand.dhtml

Translation
    anchester United retain the current interim manager Ryan Giggs as important technical man in the organization, as well as Louis van Gaal next season at the helm at Old Trafford. The Welshman, tonight against Hull City on the bench at the last home game of the season, will soon have the right to be the new manager. The arrival of Patrick Kluivert is thus definitively scrapped.

Manchester United will not make the same mistake as last summer, when David Moyes its own, completely new staff took to Old Trafford -. Abruptly took leave of virtually all forces from the permanent staff of Alex Ferguson 's current interim manager Ryan Giggs should therefore soon as a cultural guardian remain alongside Louis van Gaal, who expected this week will be appointed as the new manager of the club. formally Director Ed Woodward sees Giggs, kids club, while towards the future. Crucial as technical guy Müller and Giant Van Gaal has already agreed to that arrangement. The current coach of Orange wanted Patrick Kluivert like to take as his right, but could continue playing after extensive discussions with the club life with the leading role of Giggs.

Even his contemporaries Paul Scholes and Nicky Butt should be retained for United, but what is the exact role still under discussion. United has been busy with Van Gaal and Giggs in conversation about the future of the club.

United have to spend in the transfer market to thoroughly renovate. The team tens of millions From Gaals former pupil Thomas Müller, which is open to a departure from Bayern Munich, is a leading candidate to strengthen midfield as Marco Reus from Borussia Dortmund. Media Circus Because Van Gaal tomorrow begins his preparation for the World Cup, with an internship Hoenderloo, the club will need to act quickly and decisively in order not to lose too much time. The arrival of the new manager will be made ​​to disrupt the training campaign of Orange as little as possible while United themselves tonight his last home game played with Hull City. Announced shortly common ground is that there is anyway an English media circus will erupt around Van Gaal. Several British journalists have been accredited for the press conference next Tuesday, where Van Gaal his preselection will disclose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

The liverpool fans lapped up Aguerro winning the title in the last minute, while their team was somewhere down the table, so now they are more than fair game now the roles are reversed.

as it should be.

just like us lapping up Utd being in 7th this season. the same as Utd fans have called us a "mid-table" club over the years.

so your fans are also fair game.

people getting overly sore over any of it, on either side, is really quite sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Be interesting to see players reaction after game tonight.

Well the likes of Chico and Nani. Love to see both stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Hey Mitch off topic but your ratings sig is dated November.......did you give up after we got too ****e :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Irish94

Be interesting to see players reaction after game tonight.

Well the likes of Chico and Nani. Love to see both stay.

Would not like to see Chico leave, but I think he should. He is too good to be siting on the bench each week and getting 15 minutes at the end. To be honest, I would like to see him go to Arsenal, I think he would be a perfect fit on front of Ozil and Cazorla. They need a striker with pace and who runs behind defenders, he would be perfect.

absolutely spot on. people forget we threw away an 8 point lead 2 years ago also when calling it the biggest collapse in years.

SlickRic wrote: »
    as it should be.

just like us lapping up Utd being in 7th this season. the same as Utd fans have called us a "mid-table" club over the years.

so your fans are also fair game.

people getting overly sore over any of it, on either side, is really quite sad.

well said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

safrjy5w.gif

That is glorious, can we have this as a stickie at the start of every new thread?

interesting if true..though i am sure they wil find some way around it.
    Martyn Ziegler ‏@martynziegler 1m
    Man City's FFP sanctions: 21-man CL squad instead of 25; 60m euro fine over 3 years; no rise in CL squad wage bill allowed. Same as for PSG.

absolutely spot on. people forget we threw away an 8 point lead 2 years ago also when calling it the biggest collapse in years.

If you can't have a laugh and a piss take then what is the point honestly?

It only becomes a problem when people take things too seriously

your second point, answers your question to be honest.

Some lads on here are absolutely obsessed with Liverpool tho. We all like to laugh and joke at their misfortune last 10 days, but it should all be relative to our own spot at the moment.

i find it hard to slag them off (though i did have a few sly digs at my liverpool supporting mates last night)when they are playing much better than us, United should come before them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I agree. I have allowed myself a small bit of pleasure in Liverpool's collapse, I'll send some funny pictures to my Liverpool-supporting friends. But by about lunchtime I'll go back to being depressed about our current state of affairs.

The truth is City of Liverpool will win the title this year, there is very little of that to take any pleasure in. Some people get too caught up in the performances of other teams, I couldn't care that much really.

I just want us to kick on and finish above both of them next year.

• Advertisement

No rise in the wage bill won't happen anyway, I guarantee you that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Have to laugh at all the Pool fans coming in here talking ****e.Did they not expect a backlash from other fans after all their talk the last few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

And who was there to make sure we wouldn't forget it in a hurry?
    This is football fans in the age of the Internet, we may all get used to it.

your second point, answers your question to be honest.

Some lads on here are absolutely obsessed with Liverpool tho. We all like to laugh and joke,at their misfortune last 10 days, but it should all be relative to our own spot at the moment.

If thats the way you feel about it thats fine, I have to say I totally disagree.

When United got destroyed by Barca in the CL final 2011 I had a Birmingham fan laughing his ass off at me all week, abusing the living the hell out of the players, the club and me. A Birmingham City fan.

Just cause he follows a **** team does it mean he wasn't allowed to revel in my misery? Not in my opinion anyway, he was perfectly entitled to point out how utterly inept we were against a great team.

Some united fans seem to like liverpools failures too much for your liking? I am sure some liverpool fans take too much interest in united then the norm too. Doesnt mean it has to ruin the fun for everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Wages will probably be the same, but bonuses will increase to compensate for that. That's how it works in the banking sector so could see the same happening.

The squad size limitation may be interesting in teams full of big names. While 21 is still a decent number there may be one or two players put out by not getting European football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Red_Dwarf

I get your point but to collapse after waiting 24 years to win the top flight in England is gas.

This is not how the season was supposed to end..... I prepared myself for the final nail in the coffin after the season we just had.

With every game they played this year was another Grey hair on my head.

I am actually delighted after last night. You could actually hear the echos of Hearts breaking and feel the shivers of dreams being lost. Love it:pac:

At least we imploded early in the season so we had no expectations .... But Liverpool fans were preparing themselves to get one back on us as they marched towards the league title.

I have the feeling if they lose it they wont recover for years.

They say " Well we wanted a Top 4 finish and CL "

Well they wanted to win the League but didn't have the bottle to finish the Job.

They are the Nearly Men

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

they can get around it by not having 4 players in the cl wage bill thats what ~300K saved right there along with say 2 new players replacing other players they could have 400K easy for whoever they sign and still not break the rulling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Red_Dwarf wrote: »
    I get your point but to collapse after waiting 24 years to win the top flight in England is gas.

Didn't United go 26 years without a title, including being relegated?
    Liverpool are in pretty good shape, add a decent goalie and centre-back and they could well win it next year.

Anyways, back to United. It seems that the media have moved passed the "who will be the next manager" stories, and are speculating who Van Gaal wants to sign.

I'm wondering is there genuinely no other name in the frame for it, could the Glazers pull a surprise ?!
    the club haven't officially even confirmed that they have contacted Van Gaal

Liverpool are in pretty good shape, add a decent goalie and centre-back and they could well win it next year.

Anyways, back to United. It seems that the media have moved passed the "who will be the next manager" stories, and are speculating who Van Gaal wants to sign.

I'm wondering is there genuinely no other name in the frame for it, could the Glazers pull a surprise ?!

its going to be Van Gaal, no doubt about that. needs to be announced today/tomorrow though and other things put in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

people forget we threw away an 8 point lead 2 years ago also

This is always going to rankle. For all their sugar daddy billions City keep getting the title handed to them on a plate.

• Advertisement

I suspect there were others in the frame.

Ancelotti won't be leaving Real Madrid this summer.
    Pep likely won't be leaving Bayern this summer.
    Mourinho won't be leaving Chelsea and I would be a little surprised if he still wanted the job.
    Klopp doesn't look like he wants to leave Dortmund.
    Simeone was also looked at I think, could be happy to stay, might be seen as a risk by the club - don't know

I think Van Gaal is the leading candidate, from the ones we could actually get.

I'd prefer if maybe that rubbish was channel into something useful.

Like I don't know, maybe absolutely lashing Sunderland out of it, who in that year, fans jeered and taunted our fans and team at the Stadium of Light when they watched the whole thing unfold on the big screens in the stadium.

Instead the atmosphere on Saturday was lifeless as ****, somewhat something typical of OT in the domestic games, and the team was limp as **** as well.

I'd have had a more immediate concern with Sunderland, and remembering the jeering they gave us, and absolute destroy them to the point of embarrasment, but no, more lifeless stuff from OT.

Probably another one of those things where I stand alone with, personally don't subscribe to the tribal stuff, sure have an odd jeer here and there when there is a bit of guff floating between the lads, but I don't go out of my way to jeer others, or find myself even remotely concerned with checking how rival teams are doing, especially when we are completely out of the hunt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

They dont have the squad to rotate with the cl and league. They look dead on their feet just challenging for the league.

This is always going to rankle. For all their sugar daddy billions City keep getting the title handed to them on a plate.

indeed....that Wigan/Everton double result in 11 days will rank as the worst period for us United fans in recent years, this season aside of course.

the sense of doom leaving that stadium at the end of that 4-4 will haunt me for a long time....i remember it like it was yesterday :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Liverpool won't come nearly as close next year, and whats more they damn well know it. That's why so many are distraught right now.

Also re: manager, would it not be poor form on the clubs part, to NOT attempt to attract the highest profile managers in the game?

LVG is heavily linked because he is available, that's it.

I think it would be poor if the club didn't create a list of targets from 1 - whatever, and go through that list one by one, ask the question, and strike a name off when it's being officially rejected.

It would be negligent not to even ask. I'm talking about the likes of Pep, Mourinho, Klopp, Conte, Simeone, Ancelloti.

All who I think somewhat rank ahead of Van Gaal in terms of the boards preference. I would hope any delays are because of the work being done enquiring about the rest, and that the club arn't just tunnel visioning on one target in particular.

I think the stuff we hear and read about delays because of backroom staff, are just some smoke to fill up the pages whilst nothing is announced.

Also re: manager, would it not be poor form on the clubs part, to NOT attempt to attract the highest profile managers in the game?

I think it would be poor if the club didn't create a list of targets from 1 - whatever, and go through that list one by one, ask the question, and strike a name off when it's being officially rejected.

It would be negligent not to even ask. I'm talking about the likes of Pep, Mourinho, Klopp, Conte, Simeone, Ancelloti.

All who I think somewhat rank ahead of Van Gaal in terms of the boards preference. I would hope any delays are because of the work being done enquiring about the rest, and that the club arn't just tunnel visioning on one target in particular.

I think the stuff we hear and read about delays because of backroom staff, are just some smoke to fill up the pages whilst nothing is announced.

As far as I am aware, we have looked at Ancelotti and Mourinho, and won't be getting either. Simeone was at least spoken about, but don't know if the board decided to make any sort of approach. Really not sure what the story is/was with Pep/Klopp or Conte.

Just based on what I have been told or read elsewhere, so it could be BS. It has appeared that LVG was a favourite with Woodward from early in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Last nights game was the best hangover cure ever - I was dying, absolutely dying but when that equaliser went in I went fcuking mad - the buddy, the sole Liverpool supporter watching it was jumped upon by two United supporters and a Chelsea fan - we went mad :)

Liverpool won't come nearly as close next year, and whats more they damn well know it. That's why so many are distraught right now.

dunno about that, they are two center halves away from having an excellent set up.

they are in better shape than us in terms of first 11 anyway....

if they sign 4 good players, it could still see them finish ahead of us next year unless we have our best summer of all time.

funnily enough, Moyes was also available and cost us nothing.....notice a trend? Van Gaal however is a massive step up, but being realistic,, how many of those top 5 managers would be likely to leave their jobs, especially considering that 3 of them are in their first season?

getting Van Gaal in to steady the ship for 3 years, before approaching one of that 5 is the way to go.

• Advertisement

As far as I am aware, we have looked at Ancelotti and Mourinho, and won't be getting either. Simeone was at least spoken about, but don't know if the board decided to make any sort of approach. Really not sure what the story is/was with Pep/Klopp or Conte.

Just based on what I have been told or read elsewhere, so it could be BS. It has appeared that LVG was a favourite with Woodward from early in the process.

Most likely because he is a high profile name and available. Woodward don't forget has had his reputation tarnished just as much as Moyes, as his work is evaluated closely with how the team do on the pitch. His performances in the transfer market thus far have left a lot to be desired, and being new to the job wasn't a valid excuse for Moyes in the end, neither will it be for him.

I'm hoping the board are involved as a whole on this, and not just one man, or a few men. They need to ensure they do good due dilligence and explore every possability before signing a new manager.

And personally, and somewhat echoed elsewhere, LVG is the last on a relatively long list if we are to look at the most attractive and suitable managers for the role.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement