Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 Mod Warning post #2237

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

Red_Dwarf wrote: »
    I get your point but to collapse after waiting 24 years to win the top flight in England is gas.

This is not how the season was supposed to end..... I prepared myself for the final nail in the coffin after the season we just had.

With every game they played this year was another Grey hair on my head.

I am actually delighted after last night. You could actually hear the echos of Hearts breaking and feel the shivers of dreams being lost. Love it:pac:

At least we imploded early in the season so we had no expectations .... But Liverpool fans were preparing themselves to get one back on us as they marched towards the league title.

I have the feeling if they lose it they wont recover for years.

They say " Well we wanted a Top 4 finish and CL "

Well they wanted to win the League but didn't have the bottle to finish the Job.

They are the Nearly Men

Build it up as much as you want but the league was out of our own hands before last night no matter how vindictively ya try to twist it. It was city's to lose and still is. No doubt about it, there's something amazing happening at the club and Liverpool fans are loving the ride.

Have no doubt utd will be back challenging next season post Moyes as well so plenty to look forward to for both sets of fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭bantee

SlickRic wrote: »
    as it should be.

just like us lapping up Utd being in 7th this season. the same as Utd fans have called us a "mid-table" club over the years.

so your fans are also fair game.

people getting overly sore over any of it, on either side, is really quite sad.

True, we're all fair game, gotta give it but gotta take it too ;)

A bit of healthy banter is great craic in fairness; it's when people get over-hyped about it, that takes the fun out of it.

Roll on next season :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

dunno about that, they are two center halves away from having an excellent set up.

they are in better shape than us in terms of first 11 anyway....

if they sign 4 good players, it could still see them finish ahead of us next year unless we have our best summer of all time.
    Yeah play a full team against bayern on a Wednesday and aspas and Moses can hold things down against Chelsea on a sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

jane82 wrote: »
    Yeah play a full team against bayern on a Wednesday and aspas and Moses can hold things down against Chelsea on a sunday

so honest question for you....if both sides started (and finished) next season with exactly the same squads as both have right now(taking into account Vidic has left already), do you think united would finish ahead of liverpool?

we are making alot of assumptions based on what we think will happen this summer, all we can go off is the actual status and right now, the gap between our team and liverpools is huge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

As far as I am aware, we have looked at Ancelotti and Mourinho, and won't be getting either. Simeone was at least spoken about, but don't know if the board decided to make any sort of approach. Really not sure what the story is/was with Pep/Klopp or Conte.

Just based on what I have been told or read elsewhere, so it could be BS. It has appeared that LVG was a favourite with Woodward from early in the process.

Ancelotti klopp and Van gaal were the three united really looked at with Klopp and van gaal being the 2 favourites due to their ability to change clubs for the better

Simeone was indeed looked at but was deemed a risk

Pep was never in the running as all appeared fine at BM

if it was just van gaal he would have been signed already

Van Gaal is just the person to turn united around as hes enough of an asshole to do it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Liverpool won't come nearly as close next year, and whats more they damn well know it. That's why so many are distraught right now.

But United will challenge next year, right now as has been pointed out there is nothing to indicate this will actually happen, United need to have a massive summer in terms of transfer dealings to improve their starting xi to be better than liverpool ,

It's a massive summer for liverpool too but united fans assuming lvg is the answer are underestimating the job in hand, there is no doubt ferguson got every last drop from the squads he built but what's left now doesn't strike fear into any of the top sides in terms of personnel

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

so honest question for you....if both sides started (and finished) next season with exactly the same squads as both have right now(taking into account Vidic has left already), do you think united would finish ahead of liverpool?

we are making alot of assumptions based on what we think will happen this summer, all we can go off is the actual status and right now, the gap between our team and liverpools is huge.

It really isnt. Thsir back four is worse than ours and more sparse. Gerard will be another year older and will need to be managed. Suarez will more than likely be gone.
    The difference between the two teams is form and motivation not talent. Do you honestly think they wouldnt love the option of bringing on Young instead of an on loan Moses.
    A good quaterback type dm and united would have scored multiples of what they scored this year. There is little difference in first team talent overall but a huge difference in squad strength.

im assuming your talking about liverpool playing 50~ games versus united playing 42~

we would probably edge them due to them falling back more than us catching them

they dont have a deep squad (ours is lobsided but we do have a decent enough base)

the window is key though and Rodgers has been hit and miss in that regard but this window is huge for both of us

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

It will be interest to see if they cash in on Suarez if Real or someone come calling, or if they can convince him to stay.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It will be interest to see if they cash in on Suarez if Real or someone come calling, or if they can convince him to stay.

I don't see why he'd leave tbh. He wanted CL football and now he has it plus they nearly won the title (and still have a slim chance of doing so). He'll stay another season at least imo.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Bale type money - he is gone and both parties will be content.

• kryogen wrote: »
    If thats the way you feel about it thats fine, I have to say I totally disagree.

When United got destroyed by Barca in the CL final 2011 I had a Birmingham fan laughing his ass off at me all week, abusing the living the hell out of the players, the club and me. A Birmingham City fan.

Just cause he follows a **** team does it mean he wasn't allowed to revel in my misery? Not in my opinion anyway, he was perfectly entitled to point out how utterly inept we were against a great team.

Some united fans seem to like liverpools failures too much for your liking? I am sure some liverpool fans take too much interest in united then the norm too. Doesnt mean it has to ruin the fun for everyone

Well said

• Mickeroo wrote: »
    I don't see why he'd leave tbh. He wanted CL football and now he has it plus they nearly won the title (and still have a slim chance of doing so). He'll stay another season at least imo.

Not about him leaving, it's about how much money gets thrown at Liverpool before they cave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Cyrus wrote: »
    But United will challenge next year, right now as has been pointed out there is nothing to indicate this will actually happen, United need to have a massive summer in terms of transfer dealings to improve their starting xi to be better than liverpool ,

It's a massive summer for liverpool too but united fans assuming lvg is the answer are underestimating the job in hand, there is no doubt ferguson got every last drop from the squads he built but what's left now doesn't strike fear into any of the top sides in terms of personnel

Who would have said this time last year that Liverpool would be challenging for the title .
    Without doubt United have been pure crap this year but aren't as bad as people are making out.United are 3 signings away from having a very good squad again.
    imo United and Pool first xi are similar in quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Would not begrudge Hernandez leaving to be honest. He doesn't get enough games as it is and next season we will have even less. More often then not we play with one up front. We have enough attacking options with RVP, Rooney, Wellbeck, Kagawa, Mata and Janjuaz. If needed bring back Hernriquez as 4th choice.

• I suspect there were others in the frame.

Ancelotti won't be leaving Real Madrid this summer.
    Pep likely won't be leaving Bayern this summer.
    Mourinho won't be leaving Chelsea and I would be a little surprised if he still wanted the job.
    Klopp doesn't look like he wants to leave Dortmund.
    Simeone was also looked at I think, could be happy to stay, might be seen as a risk by the club - don't know

I think Van Gaal is the leading candidate, from the ones we could actually get.

Does nobody have faith that none of these mangers would not jump at the chance to manage Man Utd?
    Wait until the Spanish league season is over and champions league final. 1 of the 2 Spanish managers could become available quicker than you may think.

I would be very surprised if Madrid don't go all out for Suarez this summer. He would slot in very well with his pace beside Bale and Ronaldo. Benzema is too slow and i think they will struggle to convince Suarez to stay. Massive summer for both United and Liverpool.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Does nobody have faith that none of these mangers would not jump at the chance to manage Man Utd?
    Wait until the Spanish league season is over and champions league final. 1 of the 2 Spanish managers could become available quicker than you may think.

All those managers are in top jobs i don't see why any of them would want to leave to rebuild United. I thought Klopp maybe but he seems content at Dortmund. I would rather get in Van Gaal now and get the plans started instead of chasing candidates who are unlikely to join.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

jane82 wrote: »

Yea, it's shame we aren't allowed sign any players this summer to improve our squad. That will be our downfall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I would be very surprised if Madrid don't go all out for Suarez this summer. He would slot in very well with his pace beside Bale and Ronaldo. Benzema is too slow and i think they will struggle to convince Suarez to stay. Massive summer for both United and Liverpool.

Suarez isnt even that fast :confused:

He's about the same speed as Benzema.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »

Cl football at real on triple his current wages is a far more attractive option than that, and Liverpool might take 70m+ for him.

Would not begrudge Hernandez leaving to be honest. He doesn't get enough games as it is and next season we will have even less. More often then not we play with one up front. We have enough attacking options with RVP, Rooney, Wellbeck, Kagawa, Mata and Janjuaz. If needed bring back Hernriquez as 4th choice.

ya i worry for the likes of Hernzndez next season, we now have up to 10 games less next season.

our squad could very well be focused on quality rather than quantity next season....we all assume 5 or 6 will leave with 5 or 6 coming in to replace them, but without the CL football its possible that our squad size will drop by 3 or 4 players who wont be replaced.

Vidic, Nani, Anderson all look like they are gone, Bebe, Macheda also certainties to go, then we have uncertainty over Rio, Giggs and Evra.

thats 8 probably departures and thats even before the likes of Welbeck, Kagawa & Hernandez who have all been linked away recently (pre Moyes sacking it must be added though so perhaps they will all stay).

the other side of this is that we are stuck with players like Carrick, Fletcher, Valencia, Cleverly, Young and Welbeck who simply are no longer good enough for this club unless they miraculously improve over the summer.

when you dissect our squad as i have done here, you should start to realise just how f*cked we are at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Mickeroo wrote: »

More money, infinitely better location, more money, playing with some of the best players in the world, more money, potential European Champions... did I mention more money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

dunno about that, they are two center halves away from having an excellent set up.

That isn't really true, both full back positions are more of a concern for them than centre back.

Their squad is quite thin throughout tbh, they will need a minimum of 4 good players to compete in the PL and CL next season I think.

IMO they'll struggle to finish ahead of United next season, who should have a clear run in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

absolutely spot on. people forget we threw away an 8 point lead 2 years ago also when calling it the biggest collapse in years.
    your second point, answers your question to be honest.

Some lads on here are absolutely obsessed with Liverpool tho. We all like to laugh and joke at their misfortune last 10 days, but it should all be relative to our own spot at the moment.

i find it hard to slag them off (though i did have a few sly digs at my liverpool supporting mates last night)when they are playing much better than us, United should come before them.

Its a shame you don't have the same anti piss taking stance when it comes to our club.

You were only to happy to poke fun, mock and post funny pictures at every opportunity when it came to Moyes and Woodward as early as last summer and all season.

There was no diplomacy either when recently you were telling Vidic to **** off.

imo Liverpool will struggle to get top 4 next season.

cast and wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Blatter wrote: »
    That isn't really true, both full back positions are more of a concern for them than centre back.

Their squad is quite thin throughout tbh, they will need a minimum of 4 good players to compete in the PL and CL next season I think.

IMO they'll struggle to finish ahead of United next season, who should have a clear run in the league.

7th place is the new Belgian football.

The problem Utd has is the same on Liverpool had for a while, once you are out how easy is it to get back in? There are 6 or 7 teams who have the potential to finish in the top four of whom two should be certainties - City and Chelsea, so that's 4 or 5 sides - Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs, Manchester Utd and Everton to fight it out. Utd don't even know who the manager will be for certain yet never mind what level clear out that might follow and whether a Spurs style influx of talent will gel quickly enough or at all.

So many imponderables.

Had the conversation with a friend the other night about our squad for next season. We all raved about the squad and how good it was and how we are set up for the future. But look at what has happened we all talked about Smalling and Jones as the future yet Fergie never developed them at all. Both have been at the club years and are still raw from playing out of position. Fergie badly neglected them and they should have been ready by this stage to take over next season but they are not ready.

The fact is we have too many players who need to be replaced we have so many players who should not be starters for a team like United.

yabadabado wrote: »
    imo Liverpool will struggle to get top 4 next season.

cast and wait

Your 'cast and wait' isn't hidden on touch boards.

Just a heads up!

• Advertisement

joe123 wrote: »
    Suarez isnt even that fast :confused:

He's about the same speed as Benzema.

Are you telling me you think Suarez and Benzema are about the same speed on the ball. He is much more fluid and quick on the counter. He is the perfect player for Madrid.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Your 'cast and wait' isn't hidden on touch boards.

Just a heads up!

ah not worried ,I'm sure they will know its a joke,they aren't that sensitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

mike65 wrote: »
    7th place is the new Belgian football.

The problem Utd has is the same on Liverpool had for a while, once you are out how easy is it to get back in? There are 6 or 7 teams who have the potential to finish in the top four of whom two should be certainties - City and Chelsea, so that's 4 or 5 sides - Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs, Manchester Utd and Everton to fight it out. Utd don't even know who the manager will be for certain yet never mind what level clear out that might follow and whether a Spurs style influx of talent will gel quickly enough or at all.

So many imponderables.

The manager will be van Gaal.

They already have a squad worthy of a place in the top 4, they didn't get it because it was horrendously mismanaged by Moyes.

The club have lots of money to spend and the groundwork for many deals is underway, by all accounts.

Probably no Europa League next season, so a clear run at the league. As a Liverpool fan I'm sure you can attest to how beneficial that has been for your league performance this season.

It really couldn't be any different from the time Liverpool dropped out of the top four in 2010 under Hicks and Gillett.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I think Liverpool and Utd are in quite similar positions as regards next season
    Their defence is our midfield but up front is where the extra games will catch them. I will be quote surprised if Sturridge isn't injury prone next season, he has picked up a few knocks this season from a relatively light season,add in the WC and this will harm him more than others IMO.
    1 front man with 3 defenders of quality are needed badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

NTMK wrote: »
    Ancelotti klopp and Van gaal were the three united really looked at with Klopp and van gaal being the 2 favourites due to their ability to change clubs for the better

Simeone was indeed looked at but was deemed a risk

Pep was never in the running as all appeared fine at BM

if it was just van gaal he would have been signed already

Van Gaal is just the person to turn united around as hes enough of an asshole to do it

You're making this all up.

You're making this all up.

nope thats a summary from the last couple of weeks of relatively reliable journos

they could be making it up but united are **** at keeping secrets from journalists

• Advertisement

Are you telling me you think Suarez and Benzema are about the same speed on the ball. He is much more fluid and quick on the counter. He is the perfect player for Madrid.

He's 15/8 to leave this year. Pile on

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

ya i worry for the likes of Hernzndez next season, we now have up to 10 games less next season.

our squad could very well be focused on quality rather than quantity next season....we all assume 5 or 6 will leave with 5 or 6 coming in to replace them, but without the CL football its possible that our squad size will drop by 3 or 4 players who wont be replaced.

Vidic, Nani, Anderson all look like they are gone, Bebe, Macheda also certainties to go, then we have uncertainty over Rio, Giggs and Evra.

thats 8 probably departures and thats even before the likes of Welbeck, Kagawa & Hernandez who have all been linked away recently (pre Moyes sacking it must be added though so perhaps they will all stay).

the other side of this is that we are stuck with players like Carrick, Fletcher, Valencia, Cleverly, Young and Welbeck who simply are no longer good enough for this club unless they miraculously improve over the summer.

when you dissect our squad as i have done here, you should start to realise just how f*cked we are at the moment.

I don't think the squad is as bad as your making it out to be, the main problem is the defence. Sort out an LB, CB and a DM and we will be challenging for top 4 next year. Add someone like Reus, Coleman and a decent back up striker to that and we could easily be challenging for the title.

Adding players like Anderson, Bebe and Macheda to the list of departures skews the situation. They were no where near the squad this year.

The back up squad players aren't as strong as we would like but the first team would be solid with those three additions. With no CL football, the back up players won't be as important as in previous years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Plus Suarez is a much better player than Benzema.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

LVG to be announced before the Hull games according to Ducker

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/clubs/manchesterunited/article4081773.ece

Read elsewhere that LVG might be at the game tonight. Any truth at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Read elsewhere that LVG might be at the game tonight. Any truth at all?

You''ll find out tonight. Could be easily smoked over with him saying he's there to watch RVP and his recovery.

Cameras will catch him if he is there, like they caught Remy at The Emirates at the weekend.

But I'm sure it will be passed of on him there to watch RVP, who some Dutch outlets are reporting his spot in the Holland squad is far from secure, which sounds madness to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

rarnes1 wrote: »
    He's 15/8 to leave this year. Pile on

I would agree on this,think Madrid will try hard to get him this year,they seem pretty solid elsewhere so one wonders where this seasons transfer money will go....

And yet Benzema having one of his finest seasons. Does a lot of what Suarez does with his tireless work in the channels making space for Bale, Di Maria and Ronaldo and even setting up chances.

I'd go with a tried and tested Benzema in that Real side, over integrating a new player. It's easy to say Suarez is much better then Benzema for sure, just by goal stats alone, but the Benzema is a really key component in that attacking lineup and his movement and workrate up top allows the others to flourish. Shockingly unselfish striker that I've seen this year.

If they part ways with him to bring in Suarez, there is a top class striker there for someone to take onboard.

• TheDoc wrote: »
    You''ll find out tonight. Could be easily smoked over with him saying he's there to watch RVP and his recovery.

Cameras will catch him if he is there, like they caught Remy at The Emirates at the weekend.

But I'm sure it will be passed of on him there to watch RVP, who some Dutch outlets are reporting his spot in the Holland squad is far from secure, which sounds madness to me.

Agree, RVP will be the excuse but we all know the real intention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Blatter wrote: »
    The manager will be van Gaal.

They already have a squad worthy of a place in the top 4, they didn't get it because it was horrendously mismanaged by Moyes.

The club have lots of money to spend and the groundwork for many deals is underway, by all accounts.

Probably no Europa League next season, so a clear run at the league. As a Liverpool fan I'm sure you can attest to how beneficial that has been for your league performance this season.

It really couldn't be any different from the time Liverpool dropped out of the top four in 2010 under Hicks and Gillett.

Your squad is pretty ropey, how many would most of you really want to keep?
    De Gea - quality
    Mata - has a future
    Januzaj - will be quality
    Rooney - ageing badly
    Van Persie - injured and ageing
    Hernandez - bit part
    Welbeck - can be coached I'd say
    Kagawa - could be rescued but could easily be sold
    Young - no chance under LVG
    Valencia - mediocre
    Fellaini - not even appropriate for Utd
    Carrick - done
    Fletcher - done
    Ferdinand - done
    Vidić - off to Italy
    Nani - probably to Italy
    Evra - 32 contract expires, will be be off?
    Jones - not as good as he should be
    Cleverely - squad player at best
    Silva - probably off
    Anderson - won't return
    Giggs - retired
    Zaha - no chance on the face of it

Obviously you may disagree about various players listed but there's a huge load of work ahead.

• TheDoc wrote: »
    And yet Benzema having one of his finest seasons. Does a lot of what Suarez does with his tireless work in the channels making space for Bale, Di Maria and Ronaldo and even setting up chances.

I'd go with a tried and tested Benzema in that Real side, over integrating a new player. It's easy to say Suarez is much better then Benzema for sure, just by goal stats alone, but the Benzema is a really key component in that attacking lineup and his movement and workrate up top allows the others to flourish. Shockingly unselfish striker that I've seen this year.

If they part ways with him to bring in Suarez, there is a top class striker there for someone to take onboard.

That is hardcore posting times LOL :eek:

Your hands are like machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

mike65 wrote: »
    Your squad is pretty ropey, how many would most of you really want to keep?
    De Gea - quality
    Mata - has a future
    Januzaj - will be quality
    Rooney - ageing badly
    Van Persie - injured and ageing
    Hernandez - bit part
    Welbeck - can be coached I'd say
    Kagawa - could be rescued but could easily be sold
    Young - no chance under LVG
    Valencia - mediocre
    Fellaini - not even appropriate for Utd
    Carrick - done
    Fletcher - done
    Ferdinand - done
    Vidić - off to Italy
    Nani - probably to Italy
    Evra - 32 contract expires, will be be off?
    Jones - not as good as he should be
    Cleverely - squad player at best
    Silva - probably off
    Anderson - won't return
    Giggs - retired
    Zaha - no chance on the face of it

Obviously you may disagree about various but there's huge about of work ahead.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head there.
    You'll get away without signing a forward - but at least 1 centre half and a full back are needed, 2 quality CM players one defensive and at least 1 winger - and that's only the start of the job.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    That is hardcore posting times LOL :eek:

Your hands are like machines.

Patent pending by Omnicorp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

TheDoc wrote: »

Why are people assuming that a club like Madrid wouldn't want both Suarez and Benzema? Especially when we are fans of a club that seemingly needs four strikers in the squad never mind two. :D

Why are people assuming that a club like Madrid wouldn't want both Suarez and Benzema? Especially when we are fans of a club that seemingly needs four strikers in the squad never mind two. :D

id say they will try sell on Benzema, if they signed Suarez.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement