Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 Mod Warning post #2237

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

RichFTW wrote: »
    I don't think the squad is as bad as your making it out to be, the main problem is the defence. Sort out an LB, CB and a DM and we will be challenging for top 4 next year. Add someone like Reus, Coleman and a decent back up striker to that and we could easily be challenging for the title.

While the defence does obviously need reinforcements, surely the main problem is the midfield as ever?

Theoretically, if United were only allowed to sign one player this summer, it must be a CM.

I'd much rather "make do" with some combination of Rafael/Evans/Jones/Smalling/Buttner at the back, than any combination of Cleverly/Carrick/Fletcher/Fellaini in midfield

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Why are people assuming that a club like Madrid wouldn't want both Suarez and Benzema? Especially when we are fans of a club that seemingly needs four strikers in the squad never mind two. :D

Real no longer seem to subscribe to the 2 out and out front men and haven't for a long long time and they rarely carry more than 1 main striker in their squad so it would seem both wouldn't fit at present given Madrid also have Morata and Jese who barely get game time as it is..

So why would they want Suarez....

Hmmmm well they are Real Madrid, backed by the king of spain and they must make one world class signing every year and its generally hottest player on the planet at a given time who they don't have or doesn't play for barca

And who is that person right now why its Luis Suarez of course....

And thats why they'll throw crazy money at getting him in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

mike65 wrote: »
    Your squad is pretty ropey, how many would most of you really want to keep?
    De Gea - quality
    Mata - has a future
    Januzaj - will be quality
    Rooney - ageing badly
    Van Persie - injured and ageing
    Hernandez - bit part
    Welbeck - can be coached I'd say
    Kagawa - could be rescued but could easily be sold
    Young - no chance under LVG
    Valencia - mediocre
    Fellaini - not even appropriate for Utd
    Carrick - done
    Fletcher - done
    Ferdinand - done
    Vidić - off to Italy
    Nani - probably to Italy
    Evra - 32 contract expires, will be be off?
    Jones - not as good as he should be
    Cleverely - squad player at best
    Silva - probably off
    Anderson - won't return
    Giggs - retired
    Zaha - no chance on the face of it

Obviously you may disagree about various players listed but there's a huge load of work ahead.

There is a lot of room to create a flame war when a fan of a rival goes into a rival superthread and gives a few words of assessment on almost everyone in that squad, but I have to say I agree with pretty much all of them there, the exception being Silva who I presume is Rafael and I really don't think he will leave, but I'd put him in the "can be coached" area.

So fair play.
    kstand wrote: »
    You pretty much hit the nail on the head there.
    You'll get away without signing a forward - but at least 1 centre half and a full back are needed, 2 quality CM players one defensive and at least 1 winger - and that's only the start of the job.

Regarding Liverpool's need for a striker and a winger, both Fabio Borini and Assaidi are coming back from successful Premier League loans and both should expect to play a role next season, Borini in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

De Gea - quality
    Mata - has a future
    Rooney - ageing badly
    Hernandez - bit part
    Valencia - mediocre
    Carrick - done
    Fletcher - done
    Ferdinand - done
    Vidić - off to Italy
    Nani - probably to Italy
    Silva - probably off
    Anderson - won't return
    Giggs - retired

Obviously you may disagree about various players listed but there's a huge load of work ahead.

can't really argue with much of that.Rafael is a top quality RB and should have a good future at the club.Fellaini I think can come good especially if he got a good partner in cm.
    I think Carrick and Fletch have a few years left at the club but in a squad player role.
    LB,CB and 2 cm's this summer and I think the squad would be in pretty good shape.Would still be weak on the wings and ideally would be also looking for 1 winger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

De Gea - quality
    Mata - has a future
    Rooney - ageing badly
    Hernandez - bit part
    Valencia - mediocre
    Carrick - done
    Fletcher - done
    Ferdinand - done
    Vidić - off to Italy
    Nani - probably to Italy
    Silva - probably off
    Anderson - won't return
    Giggs - retired

The thing is, you can say simlar about most squads in the league. Take Liverpool for example.

Johnson - Big question marks over him

Enrique - not good enough as a first teamer, maybe good enough back up

Toure - Good enough as back up in a PL and CL team? Not sure

Agger - May want a move in the Summer to play regularly

Luis Alberto - has made zero impact this year and is 21, doubtful he'll ever make it at Liverpool.

Suarez - Great player, small question mark over his future

Gerrard - nearly 34, very doubtful he'll be able to play twice a week next season and maintain the form of this season.

Aspas - doesn't seem tobe good enough

Coutinho - fine.

Henderson - had a very good season but not sure he's a player that I'd be looking at to be a long term starter in a side competing at the top end of the PL and in the CL. Very good squad player at a minimum though.

Sturridge - no problems there

Sakho - good player, should be better next season.

Lucas - would really be looking at upgrading here, he's just not the same after his injuries. Useful squad player though.

Mignolet - not perfect but still good.

Allen - Squad player

Sterling - Brilliant young player, still wouldn't like tobe relying on someone so young and who has gone through big dips before.

Skrtel - Not sure about him, I suppose you could say he makes too many mistakes to be relied upon.

Flanagan - Good squad player to fill in gaps for now.

I firmly believe that United have more quality overall in their squad than Liverpool, the big difference has been that Liverpool have a very good manager that had a clear system that got the best out of his players.

United didn't have that at all this season and you'd think they'd have a good chance of getting it under van Gaal, who will also have plenty of money to spend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

For my part - players I want at the club next season

De Gea, Amos, Rafael, Smalling, Jones, Evans, Carrick, Cleverley, Kagawa, Mata, Nani, Welbeck, Rooney, RVP.

I would like Hernandez to stay, but don't see it happening - he'll leave for first team football. Everyone else could leave, as long as replacements are brought in for some - as I expect them to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

kryogen wrote: »
    If thats the way you feel about it thats fine, I have to say I totally disagree.

When United got destroyed by Barca in the CL final 2011 I had a Birmingham fan laughing his ass off at me all week, abusing the living the hell out of the players, the club and me. A Birmingham City fan.

Just cause he follows a **** team does it mean he wasn't allowed to revel in my misery? Not in my opinion anyway, he was perfectly entitled to point out how utterly inept we were against a great team.

Some united fans seem to like liverpools failures too much for your liking? I am sure some liverpool fans take too much interest in united then the norm too. Doesnt mean it has to ruin the fun for everyone

Little quote from Conan the Barbarian that sums up my attitude to Pool and their supporters.
    Mongol General: Wrong! Conan! What is best in life?
    Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

'Women' being an apt description of the screeching mass that is 50% or more of their support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

De Gea, Amos, Rafael, Smalling, Jones, Evans, Carrick, Cleverley, Kagawa, Mata, Nani, Welbeck, Rooney, RVP.

I would like Hernandez to stay, but don't see it happening - he'll leave for first team football. Everyone else could leave, as long as replacements are brought in for some - as I expect them to be.

Put Hernandez and Januzaj in there and I completely agree with your list. With the correct additions and a competent manager that will be a strong squad.

I would also argue with more than the Rafael assessment.

Rooney is still very good, I don't think 'ageing badly' is a fair summary of him at all.

I also think 'ageing and injured' is an unfair summary of RvP. He's a world class striker who doesn't rely on his pace, I don't think his age is a big factor right now. The injury comment is fair enough, but then again there are big question marks over how Moyes' methods have contributed to that. Remember RvP had hardly missed a game in two and a half years prior to Moyes taking over, he had been well over his injury problems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I think a difference between United and Liverpool is that United needs to add 4-5 first team players and that can be difficult to do in one season and expect them all to adapt and slot in and perform straight away. To push for a title I think Liverpool will need 4-5 but to aim for 4th then 2-3 will be enough - new centre back, right back and midfielder. Add in some squad players and I think we'll be in good shape, especially if we keep Suarez.

Put Hernandez and Januzaj in there and I completely agree with your list. With the correct additions and a competent manager that will be a strong squad.

Sorry, forgot Januzaj, he would definitely be on my keep list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

The Moyes effect lingers:

Sam ‏@SamLui17 2h
    Liverpool and Everton haven't won since Moyes got sacked. #MoyesEffect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

De Gea - quality
    Mata - has a future
    Rooney - ageing badly
    Hernandez - bit part
    Valencia - mediocre
    Carrick - done
    Fletcher - done
    Ferdinand - done
    Vidić - off to Italy
    Nani - probably to Italy
    Silva - probably off
    Anderson - won't return
    Giggs - retired

You left out a few players, and are overly negative.

DDG - world class
    Lindegard - Good back up
    Rafeal - top player but a bit injury prone
    Smalling - potential if played in right position
    Jones - potential if played in right position
    Evans - Solid
    Evra - finished
    Rio - Finished
    Vidic - off to inter
    Buttner - may improve with more games
    Carrick - finished
    Cleverly - decent squad player under the right manager
    Fletch - maybe a squad player
    Fellaini - good player. will improve next season
    Anderson - will be sold
    Nick Powell - serious potential
    Nani - probably off
    Young- terrible - probably off
    Valencia - good squad player
    Zaha - unknown...
    Januzaj - huge potential
    Kagawa - top notch - might be sold
    Mata - world class
    Rooney - world class
    RVP - World class
    chico - good player - probably off
    welbeck - good player - poor finisher
    Lingard - big potential

Also, there are very promising youngster almost ready to come through:
    Janko, Wilson, Pearson, Lawrence.

And there seems to be a massive budget for the players required.

And we should have a top manager coming in.

And no European commitments next season.

The future is not all dark. Not too dark at all.

FatherTed wrote: »
    The Moyes effect lingers:

Sam ‏@SamLui17 2h
    Liverpool and Everton haven't won since Moyes got sacked. #MoyesEffect

It would almost make you believe the man was cursed.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

While the defence does obviously need reinforcements, surely the main problem is the midfield as ever?

Theoretically, if United were only allowed to sign one player this summer, it must be a CM.

I'd much rather "make do" with some combination of Rafael/Evans/Jones/Smalling/Buttner at the back, than any combination of Cleverly/Carrick/Fletcher/Fellaini in midfield

I'm counting a defensive midfielder as part of the defence problem though. Think once someone like Carvalho was brought in, Fellaini could play more of an advanced role so the CM options wouldn't be as bad. He was poison this year but I think that he will be back to the player he was at Everton with a better system and a better complimenting player in the middle with him.

But ya I would go along with the CM being the priority if a gun was to the head and I had to choose only one transfer. Although Evra's play at LB has given me nightmares this year so I would put LB not far behind in terms of importance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Their is a huge rebuild needed at United for next season.

We are sorted for gk, am and strikers.

Defense

Buttner - not good enough to be a starter
    Jones - not good enough to be a starter
    Smalling - not good enough to be a starter
    Evans - our best cb but still not top class
    Rafael - poor season needs to bounce back

We need a lb, cb and cover for Rafael.

CM

Carrick - not good enough to be a starter
    Fellaini - i expect to come good but has it all to prove
    Fletcher - not good enough to be a starter
    Celeverley - not good enough to be a starter

We need two midfielders to come into the starting team.

Wingers

Valencia - not good enough to be a starter
    Young - not good enough to be a starter
    Nani - huge injury doubts
    Janjuaz - has great potential
    Zaha - not good enough to be a starter
    Kagawa - not his best position

Depending on what way we line up we need at least one top class winger.

Depending on what way we line up from the starting 11 we need a new first choice lb, cb, two cm and a winger. I reckon at least five good players and two or three squad players depending on who goes. It is going to be a massive summer.

I think a difference between United and Liverpool is that United needs to add 4-5 first team players and that can be difficult to do in one season and expect them all to adapt and slot in and perform straight away. To push for a title I think Liverpool will need 4-5 but to aim for 4th then 2-3 will be enough - new centre back, right back and midfielder. Add in some squad players and I think we'll be in good shape, especially if we keep Suarez.

Just say if United just signed a left back (Shaw apparently all but done) and a top class CM, do you not think LVG could get a team like this playing winning football in the PL? (I say this with the knowledge that they will almost certainly sign more)

de Gea
    Rafael
    Jones
    Smalling/Evans----Shaw
    New CM
    Fellaini

Kagawa
    Nani
    RvP/Rooney
    Mata

IMO Liverpool have challenged with far less quality this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

NO Januzaj or Fellaini?

I'm hoping Fellaini doesn't turn into the scapegoat here that so many people like to find, to pin the problem all on one person, player etc. Big money singing that came in as the only singing, when there expected to be many. Giant confusion over his purpose and ability, gave him little chance from the start.

Fellaini wasn't going to come into this squad and turn it on it's head and be the glimmering light of hope. With all due respect he came from Everton, and not as an elite name in world football everyone got dick sick over. He is squad addition, an improvement imo, but he isn't THE answer.

Couple that silly pressure from media and fans that was never realistic to begin with, alongside injuries and settling into a new club where the existing players took a nosedive in terms of performances and ability, and it is outragously difficult to create a positive impact.

Have to say somewhat annoyed at Giggs ommision of Fellaini over the two games thus far, persisting with a shockingly below average Michael Carrick and essentially clone (albeit slightly more drive, slightly less creativity) in Fletcher.

Plenty of people are rightly getting foamy at the sight of MAtic who has been excellent since returning to Chelsea, and I think it's a job Fellaini can do. It just needs the entire squad not to be absolute ****e, so the 25+m solo summer singing isnt standing out like a sore thumb.

Bar De Gea and Rooney, Januzaj to a certain extent, Mata being new, and Buttner being excellent when called upon, I don't actually think anyone else in the squad is safe. While there is a few candidates that it's highly unlikely they would leave, fairly few can end this season and say "Yup, I' did the best I could".

Carrick's position has gotten weaker and weaker as the games have gone on, looking noticably slow and laboured in possesion and rearing the questions again as to what exactly is his purpose in this side. A question he somewhat answered previously, but easily shoots to the forefront again. I think he has been a personification of the problems of this year. Laboured, slow, passive, void of an idea or clue and looking lost. This from a serial winner who should at his age, know what he needs to be doing, regardless of instruction.

Could write novels about just about every player this year, how they have been dirt and question every part of their makeup, but Ferdinand, Evra and Carrick are the three standout flops this year that have really annoyed me more than disappointed me in terms of their ability and performances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

First off, Liverpool will probably have a battle on their hands to keep Luis in the summer - a very unwanted distraction. The back four is weak and needs reworking. Gerrard is coming to the end of his career and needs to be replaced. And the overall squad needs to be bolstered so they can handle the extra games in europe and in domestic cups next season.
    I think they'll struggle next season.

@Doc re Fellaini

I think Fellaini is a lot better than what we saw this season, which I've said before, and I'd certainly like to see him turn it around. However, I spent long enough hoping in vain that Moyes would turn it around and we saw how that went. When a new manager comes in there's no guarantee he'll want Fellaini since he has completely failed to produce to date, and I can't say I'd be annoyed to see him sold. That said, if he is still around next year I think he can improve.

• Advertisement

Appreciate people talking of a rebuild, but I'd echo Adox post again, if you think we are signing an army of footballers this summer, your dillusional.

A certain element of us bought into the buzzword of a rebuild, which was something the media blew up after it was mentioned by Moyes that some players would be out and some would be in.

I'd recall Woodwards address to the board where under a normal season the club would budget for three signings in a season, with potentially three moving out. this summer it is being forcasted that up to six players may join, with the same amount going outbound.

That's just an estimation, saying we need six players and GETTING them is an entirely different ballgame.

I'd imagine those six players would in an ideal world be

1)CB
    2)CM
    3)LB
    4)CM
    5)Marque signing
    6)Striker should RVP leave/sold

No real order of preference from me on the above, but I'd say thats the sort of areas. Obviously that was the thinking back after the January window, time has gone on, and it's possible that has changed. A new coach will probably have different ideas.

Our wingers is a constant debate. Nani is regarded by many as good enough, by others as not. Valencia the same. Janners is regarded as something for the future although really is looked upon as a no.10 playing out wide for the time being. Young deemed not good enough. It's possible that a winger needs to be brought into the mix as well.

Will be about prioritizing and blitzing for the deemed critical positions, then attempting at the rest if possible. CB, LB and CM have to be blitzed early, get them nailed down, then go looking at your wingers or strikers etc if you still want more stuff.

Blatter wrote: »
    Just say if United just signed a left back (Shaw apparently all but done) and a top class CM, do you not think LVG could get a team like this playing winning football in the PL? (I say this with the knowledge that they will almost certainly sign more)

de Gea
    Rafael
    Jones
    Smalling/Evans----Shaw
    New CM
    Fellaini

Kagawa
    Nani
    RvP/Rooney
    Mata

IMO Liverpool have challenged with far less quality this season.

Will he have them challenging for 4th? Probably. That back 4 certainly doesn't worry me anyway. You'll put up a much better fight this year though. I think Liverpool have had a much better attacking threat than that team. RVP could easily get 30 goals, but I see no one in that side who will be close to getting the goals Sturridge also provided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

@Doc re Fellaini

I think Fellaini is a lot better than what we saw this season, which I've said before, and I'd certainly like to see him turn it around. However, I spent long enough hoping in vain that Moyes would turn it around and we saw how that went. When a new manager comes in there's no guarantee he'll want Fellaini since he has completely failed to produce to date, and I can't say I'd be annoyed to see him sold. That said, if he is still around next year I think he can improve.

How could you not be annoyed to see Fellaini sold. He is better than all of midfielders. He has had a poor start with injuries and playing in a team drained of confidence. He has shown at Everton and with Belgium he is a very good player. He is not the answer but selling him would be a huge mistake.

Will he have them challenging for 4th? That back 4 certainly doesn't worry me anyway. You'll put up a much better fight this year though. I think Liverpool have had a much better attacking threat than that team. RVP could easily get 30 goals, but I see no one in that side who will be closing to getting the goals Sturridge also provided.

... Rooney?

Nuts102 wrote: »
    How could you not be annoyed to see Fellaini sold. He is better than all of midfielders. He has had a poor start with injuries and playing in a team drained of confidence. He has shown at Everton and with Belgium he is a very good player. He is not the answer but selling him would be a huge mistake.

I'm working under the assumption that (a) much better midfielder(s) will be signed. If Fellaini was sold and nobody came in you can damn well bet I'd be annoyed.

... Rooney?

He's listed as a back up striker in Blatters formation. I don't see Rooney scoring 20+ goals as a back-up striker. Sturridge and Suarez were so devastating because they had a lethal partnership and could play together. I don't think United have that sort of partnership in their team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

New thread needed soon.....can we name it the no Liverpool fans thread?

@Doc re Fellaini

He has a lot of good excuses going for him. Making a judgement on a player or manager is a lot simpler when there is just no more excuses to make. Moyes for example probably stayed for aslong as he did, is probably down to having good excuses.

You take someone like Young, has simply no excuses anymore. He has underperformed, under achieved and failed to make himself a first team regular, showing moments of promise in a sea of mediocrity.

I think expecting Fellaini, a defensive midfielder, to somehow influence and drag the team to success is a touch much for someone who came from a somewhat lower expectation environment like Everton.

I'm sure his assumption would have been getting exposed to the culture at the club while playing in a title defending team that could nearly mask over some of his bumps while he settled.

Instead the team was a shambles and it only helped highlighting what little influence he was having. Then again with "serial" winners in the squad, a new singing like him shouldn't have been expected to hit the ground running and give the place a boost.

Although in fairness I don't think anyone REALLY expected Fellaini to be some form of saviour. I think he is an excellent squad addition, that when he settles I'm sure will be a positive player domestically that will add plenty of bite to a somewhat toothless midfield. He had a few good performances this season, just needs to focus on them, and make them happen more consistently.

I'll be dissappointed if he doesnt feature tonight. Would like to see Cleverly and Fellaini in there, Fell holding and letting Cleverly do the driving. Has a lot more pace and agility then Fletcher or Carrick and has neat feat. Assuming it's another 4-4-2 job I think it would be an itneresting combo to see.

Especially considering both have a pretty big point they might feel they need to prove.

Will he have them challenging for 4th? Probably. That back 4 certainly doesn't worry me anyway. You'll put up a much better fight this year though. I think Liverpool have had a much better attacking threat than that team. RVP could easily get 30 goals, but I see no one in that side who will be close to getting the goals Sturridge also provided.

Well Kagawa had close to a goal every other game for Dortmund when played at #10 in a fluid attacking system. Mata got 20 goals for Chelsea last season. Rooney will probably still be there, where he'll play is another question.

The back four might not worry you but Liverpool challenged this season with a weaker unit there, and that was my point. I think the fact that United probably won't have EL next year is huge in terms of their chances in the PL.

He's listed as a back up striker in Blatters formation. I don't see Rooney scoring 20+ goals as a back-up striker. Sturridge and Suarez were so devastating because they had a lethal partnership and could play together. I don't think United have that sort of partnership in their team.

Fair enough. I don't think United had such a partnership this season sure, but then Liverpool didn't have it last season either. Assuming things change under the new manager, Kagawa, Nani and Mata are all well capable of scoring goals, for example.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Bye bye thread it's been emotional!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Have United traditionally had two guys get 50 goals between them the years they've won things?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Some lads on here are absolutely obsessed with Liverpool tho.
    i find it hard to slag them off

Hmmmmm.......
    Giggsy 13 - Gerrard 0. Kuszczak 3 - Gerrard 0, Owen 1 - Gerrard 0. Gibson 1 - Gerrard 0 .Larsson 1 - Gerrard 0, Poborský 1- Gerrard 0. Chadwick 1 - Gerrard 0

7nvnqm.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Is Rooney fit to play tonight?

Blatter wrote: »
    Well Kagawa had close to a goal every other game for Dortmund when played at #10 in a fluid attacking system. Mata got 20 goals for Chelsea last season. Rooney will probably still be there, where he'll play is another question.

The back four might not worry you but Liverpool challenged this season with a weaker unit there, and that was my point. I think the fact that United probably won't have EL next year is huge in terms of their chances in the PL.

Sturridge scored 21 goals in 28 premier league games. Mata scored 12 goals in 35 PL games, he scored 20 in 64 games. Kagawa has a very similar record, 12 goals in in 31 games for Dortumund in his last season. That's the sort of socring record we'll see from Sterling. It's not on the same level as Sturridge.

Not only that but it's also a team that hasn't played much/any football together. They've been at the club long but that sort of line-up hasn't started many games. Lots of people think Liverpool simply turned from 7th into challenging over night but it was took a lot of ground work. I think having Sturridge, Suarez and Countinho playing from January until May has been a huge help in having them performing so well as a team this year. For United to challenge they'll need Van Gaal to be able to get his style across and learnt immediately, the players to gel as a unit immediately and RVP to score around 30 goals in the PL to even have a chance. Certainly not impossible, but I wouldn't be investing heavy money into all those 3 things to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Is Rooney fit to play tonight?

No

• Put Hernandez and Januzaj in there and I completely agree with your list. With the correct additions and a competent manager that will be a strong squad.

Except Cleverly???!

Fair enough. I don't think United had such a partnership this season sure, but then Liverpool didn't have it last season either. Assuming things change under the new manager, Kagawa, Nani and Mata are all well capable of scoring goals, for example.

Liverpool needed to sigh Sturridge to get that though. Without him we wouldn't be where we are.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Have United traditionally had two guys get 50 goals between them the years they've won things?

No, but United had an excellent defence when they won things. I wouldn't consider the current back 4 or the one Blatter listed as being in that class. That's why I think they will need to score a lot of goals, basically do what we did this season.

• @Doc re Fellaini

Maybe Van Gahl will get the best out of him?? But in exactly what position is my concern.

• Advertisement

Not only that but it's also a team that hasn't played much/any football together. They've been at the club long but that sort of line-up hasn't started many games. Lots of people think Liverpool simply turned from 7th into challenging over night but it was took a lot of ground work. I think having Sturridge, Suarez and Countinho playing from January until May has been a huge help in having them performing so well as a team this year. For United to challenge they'll need Van Gaal to be able to get his style across and learnt immediately, the players to gel as a unit immediately and RVP to score around 30 goals in the PL to even have a chance. Certainly not impossible, but I wouldn't be investing heavy money into all those 3 things to happen.

I don't necessarily disagree with most of that but my original point was that the team has a very good chance of finishing in the top 4 and ahead of Liverpool next season, not a definite title challenge.

I do think there's a good chance that United will challenge though, time will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Ok this is the most realistic 11 I've put up yet and it should be good enough to challenge for a top 4 spot if not the league, we just need to get a coach in who knows more than David Moyes and Co and any of us on this board

De Gea

Rafael-Evans,Jones or Smalling-New Worldclass CB-New Worldclass RB

Fellaini or Carrick--New worldclass CM

Rooney
    Mata
    Kagawa

Rvp

Theres no reason this team should with proper coaching get at least a top 4 spot or even challenge for the league, the one worry is the lack of pace and if rooney sulks tell him to hand in a transfer request so we dont have to pay him off

It's hard to see World Class players joining a team that cannot offer CL football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Its funny how you pick Amos to stay, but no Lindegard ??
    Whys that?

And il ignore the inclusion of Cleverely.

djPSB wrote: »
    It's hard to see World Class players joining a team that cannot offer CL football.

Man City say hello.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I think 2 additions(LB and CM) for the starting XI and a competent manager would see United making the top 4 next season.Even with the current squad top 4 was achievable but it was just a disaster of a season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Has Suarez even played in the CL for Liverpool?

• Advertisement

• RasTa wrote: »
    Has Suarez even played in the CL for Liverpool?

Nope, No doubting his domestic quality but he's still unproven in this regard.

djPSB wrote: »

It's not really though assuming that all world class players aren't chronically myopic.

Post 9999.....

Its funny how you pick Amos to stay, but no Lindegard ??
    Whys that?

And il ignore the inclusion of Cleverely.

I don't rate Lindegaard and think Amos would be good enough backup.

more than 10,000 posts - BOARDS IS GONNA EXPLODE!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement