Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RAM

• 10-04-2014 7:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭

Hi guys & gals...

Have 2 questions regarding RAM...

I'm looking to upgrade from 4gb to 8gb. Could anyone recommend a good place to buy online? I've looked on MrMemory but find them a little expensive.

I have a single stick of 4gb installed already. Would it be better to buy 2 matching 4gb sticks to get the crossover, or does it matter if I only buy another single 4gb?

The RAM I'm looking for is: 204-pin SODIMM DDR3 PC3-8500 1066MHz

Laptop Specs:
    Dell Latitude E4310
    Intel Core i5
    Windows 8.1 64bit
    128gb SSD

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Lardy wrote: »
    Hi guys & gals...

I'm looking to upgrade from 4gb to 8gb. Could anyone recommend a good place to buy online? I've looked on MrMemory but find them a little expensive.

I have a single stick of 4gb installed already. Would it be better to buy 2 matching 4gb sticks to get the crossover, or does it matter if I only buy another single 4gb?

Laptop Specs:
    Dell Latitude E4310
    Intel Core i5
    Windows 8.1 64bit
    128gb SSD

Thanks in advance.

How do the Mr Memory prices compare with below (free delivery with these guys):
    http://www.memoryc.com/computer-memory/1066mhz-ddr3-sodimm.html#Capacity=4GB&Memory_Speed=1066MHz&Standard=PC3+8500&page=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

mordeith wrote: »

It's €95 for a matched pair from MrMemory, including postage. Memoryc are about €12 cheaper and they give me a 16gb pen drive for free! :D

Thanks for the link, I'd say I might go with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭Spudzzmurphy

Hi guys & gals...

Laptop Specs:
    Dell Latitude E4310
    Intel Core i5
    Windows 8.1 64bit
    128gb SSD

Thanks in advance.
    Have A look at this site,
    http://www.crucial.com/uk/

Have A look at this site,
    http://www.crucial.com/uk/

They don't supply the RAM I'm looking at all apparently. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Since it's a laptop, check that you have spare RAM slots before buying anything

• Advertisement

em, I know I have a spare slot for the second stick... My only real question was, is it worth the expense of buying 2 matching sticks for the duel channel mode, or just buying another single stick. Duel channel would only offer a 10 - 15% speed increase, as I understand it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭Spudzzmurphy

They don't supply the RAM I'm looking at all apparently. :confused:

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=Latitude%20E4310&Cat=RAM

Thanks for that, I was searching for the wrong thing!... :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Polar Ice wrote: »
    Since it's a laptop, check that you have spare RAM slots before buying anything
    em, I know I have a spare slot for the second stick... My only real question was, is it worth the expense of buying 2 matching sticks for the duel channel mode, or just buying another single stick. Duel channel would only offer a 10 - 15% speed increase, as I understand it?

So the laptop has 2 total slots or 4 total slots?

Regardless, your best option in to buy one single stick identical to your current one is you intend to keep the current one.

If you're discarding the current stick then buy two matching sticks of whatever you want that'll work

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Buying two matching sticks would only give 10% over single stick , and that's down hill ,wind behind you, on a good day , maybe

use cpuz to get the timings of your existing RAM to compare with what you indent to buy

• Advertisement
Advertisement