Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anal Glands

• 10-04-2014 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

My bichon had his glands done at the groomers a couple of weeks ago. she said they were very full and I noticed afterwards his bum was red and raw looking and seemed to be hurting him. It was fine after a couple of days so I thought no more about it.

Two nights ago he took ages to settle going to sleep which is very unlike him but he was up and down and going around in circles. I thought he ate something dodgy but he went to sleep eventually and was fine the next day.

This evening we were out for a walk when he suddenly stopped, lay awkwardly and wouldn't walk. I thought he got a thorn and carried him home. When we got home he started the restless thing again and rubbing his bum on the floor. He won't let me near it to look but it doesn't seem inflamed.

Does anyone had a similar experience or any advice until I get him to the vet tomorrow. Poor fellow is not too happy right now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

My bichon had his glands done at the groomers a couple of weeks ago. she said they were very full and I noticed afterwards his bum was red and raw looking and seemed to be hurting him. It was fine after a couple of days so I thought no more about it.

Two nights ago he took ages to settle going to sleep which is very unlike him but he was up and down and going around in circles. I thought he ate something dodgy but he went to sleep eventually and was fine the next day.

This evening we were out for a walk when he suddenly stopped, lay awkwardly and wouldn't walk. I thought he got a thorn and carried him home. When we got home he started the restless thing again and rubbing his bum on the floor. He won't let me near it to look but it doesn't seem inflamed.

Does anyone had a similar experience or any advice until I get him to the vet tomorrow. Poor fellow is not too happy right now.

Low fibre dog foods often lead to anal gland issues...

Try adding a small handful of all bran (the twiggy kind no milk) to his food twice a week.

Add salmon oil into his food daily... you can get it rom zooplus.ie

Once a week add a tin of sardines in oil...

all these will help him run smoother down there.

Hope he's doing ok

Do you mind if i ask what dog food (brand etc) you are feeding your dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭FlowerGarden

I feed him Nutiment Raw Foods. All the varieties they sell, beef, salmon, turkey, duck etc. He used to get raw chicken bones but his teeth aren't up to them anymore (he had a bad habit of playing on stones).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭ClubDead

At the end of last year my dog developed an abscess on her anal gland. For a few days before hand she rubbed her butt on the ground a few times and then within two days a small bump grew which turned out to be an abscess. It sounds like your dog has something going on with his glands alright, if it is an infection they need to be treated asap because abscess are awful painful for the poor little things (Google “anal gland abscess” and you’ll see how awful they are).

I’d recommend bringing your dog to the vet to get it checked out just incase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭ClubDead

Meant to quote the above (in bold) because my dog did this for a couple of days before the red bump appeared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Bring to the the vet get get him checked out...

but going forward def add all bran and salmon oil to his food this will help with reducing the possibility of futures issues...

Hope the little pet is ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

We had the same problem with our shih tzu,scooting around after she got her hair cut and crying.We took her to the vet and we where told that even if the groomer release her glands she wouldn't be able to reach in as far as the vet and that was the problem.We will probably have to bring her again if she starts scooting.The vet said even though we are given her fiber like apples and carrots it really doesn't do anything to help her release her glands.I hope the little mite gets better soon.:)

Advertisement