Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS Word 2007 vs 2013

Options
  • 10-04-2014 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭

Just wondering what real differences have came about and is it worth the effort of upgrading. In the suite I mainly use word but do use powerpoint and excel the odd time. thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,451 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

In the last years of the 20th century, the MS Office version was called 'Office 98' and some wag commented that the title was a reference to the percentage of the functionality that was never used!

Unless you're aware of some function that you desperately need, you'll be fine on Office 2003 as am I.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Shiny new templates. Powerpoint comes with a few flashier slide transitions and animations. But unless it's something you use pretty frequently you won't benefit from upgrading.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Just add the Office 2007 Compatibility Pack for .docx support and your sorted !!

Personally I hate the 2007 GUI.

Ken

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Office 2007 is still fully supported. Office 2003 went end of life along with Windows XP. But Office 2007 is still being updated and not much different to 2013, unless your really looking for the tight OneDrive/cloud integration

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 25,451 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Sorry, I may have skewed the discussion by mentioning Office 2003 in my post above. In fact both the OP and I are on Office 2007 - at least that can be reasonably be inferred from his first post.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Full Microsoft Office 2013 cost me €50 in Curry's. Well worth it. I have to use 2003 and 2007 and the difference is pretty substantial. Mostly in the layout though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Full Microsoft Office 2013 cost me €50 in Curry's. Well worth it. I have to use 2003 and 2007 and the difference is pretty substantial. Mostly in the layout though.

Was that the Home and Student or the Professional Plus edition? I presume it's the former.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

I bought a notebook which came with office 2013 student. I use excel, Access, Publishe and Word.
    I found the GUI in excel was terrible - uninstalled the lot and went back to my favourite office Pro 2003.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,279 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The GUI is perfectly fine. Now, if you've been using Office 2003 for ten years, you're of course going to not feel that way.

Compared to 2010 for instance in real world applications, I can get some tasks done a decent bit faster than 2010 users. Cloud integration is naturally another benefit. I also found between Word 2010 and 2013 the experience is much improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

I still use 2007 and having used all rest 2003 2010 and 2013 I still prefer the GUI for 2007 and I haven't noticed much extra either between the versions in saying that I don't use it a lot anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

If you get it for free upgrade it, if not then upgrading probably isn't worth it since there haven't been any groundbreaking changes from 2007 to 2013. If you just want a change, try Apache Open Office which is free and does just as much as MS word, but it's a bit tricky to get around and use if you're used to MS products.

That's just my opinion.

Advertisement