Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

geting a national insurence number from ireland?

• 10-04-2014 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Im thinking of looking for work in the uk
    is it possible to get a ni number from ireland with an irish address?
    Do u have to go to the uk for an interview?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭ladiee24

yes14 wrote: »
    Im thinking of looking for work in the uk
    is it possible to get a ni number from ireland with an irish address?
    Do u have to go to the uk for an interview?

no you need to have a uk address & yes you need to attend an interview at your local jobcentre plus

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭yes14

ladiee24 wrote: »
    no you need to have a uk address & yes you need to attend an interview at your local jobcentre plus

Cant get one before i go over so

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭ladiee24

Cant get one before i go over so

nope but it doesn't take that long to sort out once ya get to the uk I got my interview within a week of moving (which was fast) but it took about 5-6 weeks for the NI number to be sent out.

it's not like a pps number at all it's to pay your national insurance. I've no idea how they link up actual income tax through it but they do somehow.

nope but it doesn't take that long to sort out once ya get to the uk I got my interview within a week of moving (which was fast) but it took about 5-6 weeks for the NI number to be sent out.

it's not like a pps number at all it's to pay your national insurance. I've no idea how they link up actual income tax through it but they do somehow.[/ quote]

Thanks for the info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

it's not like a pps number at all it's to pay your national insurance. I've no idea how they link up actual income tax through it but they do somehow.

It's exactly like a PPS number which used to be titled a Revenue & Social Insurance Number (RSI No).

• Advertisement

Marcusm wrote: »
    It's exactly like a PPS number which used to be titled a Revenue & Social Insurance Number (RSI No).

Taught i mite be able to get one from ireland before i go over to work and be all set

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Russ T Banger

Youre not in kansas anymore dorothy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Taught i mite be able to get one from ireland before i go over to work and be all set

You cannot use an Irish no. in UK

You cannot use an Irish no. in UK

I know.i taught i mite be able apply for a national insurence number from ireland and have one got

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

You can ring up from Ireland (hide your number) and use the address of a friend who's in the area you'll be moving to then get an interview arranged for shortly after you land. That's the earliest you'll be able to get one more or less.

And not everyone needs to do an interview. If your future workplace has a fast-track agreement in place with the authorities they can set you up with one without ever attending an interview (like mine did).

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info

Advertisement