Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ROSACEA treatment with laser or natural approach?

• 10-04-2014 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I have Acne Rosacea and my GP prescribed me rozex as a topical antibiotic aswell as tetracycline.I have broken capillaries on my cheeks along with general redness.I flush often after exercise , changes in temp , and often for no apparent reason,this is the most embarrassing for me.I also have RAYNAUDS when both combined they are not a good look.I was referred to a dermatologist who wanted to prescribe me tetracycline also and suggested laser for the broken capillaries.I'm not keen on taking either of the antibiotics as who knows what they will do to your body long term?! That being said I would be interested to hear from any of you who have used these products,what were the results if any during and after use?

Now back to the laser , well my dermatologist recommended 6 to 8 sessions with one possibly needed each year there after.I'm quite interested in this approach as I can avoid taking the antibiotics but also quite anxious about the procedure given some horror stories of peoples reactions to it.I'm unsure yet what method will be used I understand IPL is the most effective.Have any of you out there had this treatment?how many sessions did you need?what was the down time after treatment?did you notice any negative effects from it months or years later?did old or new veins re emerge?did it help with general flushing?Finally and most importantly where did you have it done and what was the doctors name?

Lastly but not least I would skip all of the above if anyone knows or has treated there acne rosacea using the NATURAL approach?

Please reply I would be so grateful for any advice:-)I'm booked in for a consultation for the laser in the coming weeks and I presume they will patch test me then so should I go ahead with this or not?

Thank you all so much in advance :-):-)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Sinall

My brother had rosacea and tried LOADS of different things - the only thing he found effective long term was laser. He had three sessions three weeks apart and then has a top up one every now and then.

He left it a few years between laser sessions and then did three together again last year when the rosacea flared up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 music crazy

Thanks so much for replying Sinall :-) did his rosacea completely disappear after the initial sessions? This sounds positive and its great to hear someone has has success with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

Hi I went for 3 sessions of IPL not too long ago for redness/ thread veins. It completely got rid of the redness in my skin and most of the broken veins. It was a very quick treatment, didn't hurt too much and my skin tolerated it very well, wasn't even that red afterwards. I'd recommend it.

@Jadie , thanks for taking the time to reply :-) do you mind me asking where you had this done?was it in a beauty salon or a dermatologist's clinic?I would rather go somewhere that was recommended.how much were you charged per session?how long ago is it since you had treatment?.I have had a consultation with someone from the laser clinic who operates from a local beauty salon and I think she said it would take about 3 to 5 sessions but 6 to 8 in the dermatologist's clinic seems like a lot ,leading me to believe they are either milking it or I just have a bad case of Rosacea?!I suppose I want to minimize my exposure to it as much as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Sinall

It improved immeasurably after the initial sessions - he tried antibiotics, creams, special cleansers etc etc before that to no avail. He went to a homeopath (although wasn't great at following instructions). The only thing that made a really noticable and lasting difference were the laser treatments. He went to the Genesis clinic in Waterford.

Honestly, when he got flushed before he did the sessions he almost went a purple colour and it really got him down and had a major affect on his confidence.

• Advertisement

@sinall , that sounds exactly the same as me, my face would turn purple in the cold weather so maybe its not raynauds at all and its part of the rosacea.I hope that I will only need the three sessions.I will look up that clinic up and thanks again for replying :-)

@Jadie , thanks for taking the time to reply :-) do you mind me asking where you had this done?was it in a beauty salon or a dermatologist's clinic?I would rather go somewhere that was recommended.how much were you charged per session?how long ago is it since you had treatment?.I have had a consultation with someone from the laser clinic who operates from a local beauty salon and I think she said it would take about 3 to 5 sessions but 6 to 8 in the dermatologist's clinic seems like a lot ,leading me to believe they are either milking it or I just have a bad case of Rosacea?!I suppose I want to minimize my exposure to it as much as possible.

Hi I went to a salon, it was actually a groupon deal and only cost €99 for the three sessions. It's been two months now since I went

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭Chrisita

For a natural approach, a naturopath could help you to improve your digestion with hydrochloric acid,digestive enzymes and probiotics. This will not rid you of the broken capillaries, only the actual rosacea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Ive had Rosacea now for about 3 years. Ive tried IPL with no improvement. Ive also tried ruling out coffee, rosex, etc and I still cant get rid of the redness. Im going to try the creams from La Poche and see how I get on. Its very frustrating though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

I would also like to hear people's experiences /treatments. I recently have developed this. Am half hoping if I ignore it it will disappear as I never had it before and I now in my 30's. But not looking good so far!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭marie12

verywell wrote: »
    I would also like to hear people's experiences /treatments. I recently have developed this. Am half hoping if I ignore it it will disappear as I never had it before and I now in my 30's. But not looking good so far!

I've starting washing my face with coconut oil and have noticed a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭rachblue

marie12 wrote: »
    I've starting washing my face with coconut oil and have noticed a difference

Do you actually clean your face with coconut oil? I was using it as a moisturiser but started to break out in spots and put it down to using it on my face so I have stopped using it. Though last summer I did use it on my face and don't remember breaking out. It could have been down to something else though and I am prone to spots. My face is starting to get quite red the last few years and I am not sure if I have rosacea but would love to be able to calm it down a bit. I might try the La Pouche Rosay range. (don't know if I spelt that right!)

Just remembered that someone mentioned a range called ziaja sensitive on another thread on boards and said it made their skin less red and improved it in general. I've never heard of it but its a natural skincare range.

rachblue wrote: »
    Do you actually clean your face with coconut oil? I was using it as a moisturiser but started to break out in spots and put it down to using it on my face so I have stopped using it. Though last summer I did use it on my face and don't remember breaking out. It could have been down to something else though and I am prone to spots. My face is starting to get quite red the last few years and I am not sure if I have rosacea but would love to be able to calm it down a bit. I might try the La Pouche Rosay range. (don't know if I spelt that right!)

yes i literally work it all over my face and neck every evening and wash it off with cool water. It takes off my makeup perfectly and leaves face clean and soft. Has been so good for my rosacea, Im now not red, just pink haha
    in morning i just splash with water, if you have rosacea be careful not to over clean your face
    trust me I've 10 years experience of it now!
    I would highly recommend image skincare they are amazing
    i used la roche for a year or 2 and didn't find it that good

rachblue wrote: »
    Just remembered that someone mentioned a range called ziaja sensitive on another thread on boards and said it made their skin less red and improved it in general. I've never heard of it but its a natural skincare range.

Yes i like the natural approach. Must look that range up.
    If it is rosacea you think you have, sunlight, hot drinks and alcohol are a no no.
    I find the hot drinks the hardest,but now i let my coffee sit for a few mins, not fun!

yes i literally work it all over my face and neck every evening and wash it off with cool water. It takes off my makeup perfectly and leaves face clean and soft. Has been so good for my rosacea, Im now not red, just pink haha
    in morning i just splash with water, if you have rosacea be careful not to over clean your face
    trust me I've 10 years experience of it now!
    I would highly recommend image skincare they are amazing
    i used la roche for a year or 2 and didn't find it that good

Yeah I was wondering if it would wash off make up. I must try that so. thanks! I'm just using the coconut oil as a body moisturiser at the moment.

If it is rosacea you think you have, sunlight, hot drinks and alcohol are a no no.
    I find the hot drinks the hardest,but now i let my coffee sit for a few mins, not fun!

I don't think I could give up coffee or alcohol! At least I don't have to worry about strong sunlight for about eleven and a half months of the year!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Thanks for the tip. I usually stay out of strong sunlight for the most part and don't drink a huge amount but I didn't know about hot drinks...say I while sipping a mug of tea :o I must give that a go, I've a bit of a breakout at the moment :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Theres a new rosacea medication out in the last few months (in the uk at least) that tackles the redness of rosacea and it's supposed to be very good. Unfortunately I've no idea what the name is but I have a friend who saw it in a mag and went to her dr and got it and finds it great. It's the first prescription cream to ease redness. not just bumps etc.
    It's only available on prescription. Maybe it's be an idea to go back to your dr ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

Ive had perioral dermatitis as a result of using a steroid cream on my face which then led to red face rosacea like symptoms as well.

I used la roche posay which helped at first but eventually began to cause irritation and redness like a steroid cream. There's loads of chemicals in those creams and they cost a bomb.

There is a link in the psoriasis thread in long term illness here on boards with a link to a honey mask and coconut oil treatment for seborrhiec derm which has helped my red face. You basically mix organic raw honey (doesn't have to be the super expensive manuka, just unheated raw, the one I use is from hilltop honey from holland and barrett and is 8 euro) with 10% spring water to make it a bit more runny and apply to your face, leave on for 3 hrs in the evening or as long as you can. I usually just do about 90 mins. Then wash off and moisturize with a small amount of coconut oil. That and avoiding alcohol has helped me a lot.

As for spots with the coconut oil, the trick is to use it very sparingly, just enough to wet the tips of your fingers. Your skin should not look oily and shiny, if it is you are using too much.

I have also got good results clearing spots and moisturizing my skin using the clean and clear range from johnson and johnson. They have a moisturizer which clears spots and doesn't irritate but just tingles a bit.

But I have found that whe you get these conditions you can make it much worse by putting loads of products on your face. Especially the non natural ones. Just washing with water and nothing else has cured some people of skin problems on their face, I have dry skin so I have to moisturize but I try to just use all natural products sparingly.

• Advertisement

When i was clueless about the awful effect heat and steam can have, i used to have hot baths about twice a week and then wonder why i looked like rudolf. Now i have very cool showers which are far kinder to your skin. And give you super shiny hair!
    Avocado and almond oil are brilliant too as alternatives to regular facial moisturiser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

Theres a new rosacea medication out in the last few months (in the uk at least) that tackles the redness of rosacea and it's supposed to be very good. Unfortunately I've no idea what the name is but I have a friend who saw it in a mag and went to her dr and got it and finds it great. It's the first prescription cream to ease redness. not just bumps etc.
    It's only available on prescription. Maybe it's be an idea to go back to your dr ?

Are you talking about Mirvaso? It's a gel. I read a review in Marie Claire US earlier in the year where it's effect slowed down after two months of constant use, and read similar reviews online.

I had laser treatment, and although expensive, I recommend it - I had 10 treatments and will now leave the house bare faced willingly. Before if I went to work without makeup, my boss used to think I had a bad case of the flu as I was so red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

Anyone know if laser helps with blushing or red face from exercising? After running I am practically purple :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

on_my_oe wrote: »
    Are you talking about Mirvaso? It's a gel. I read a review in Marie Claire US earlier in the year where it's effect slowed down after two months of constant use, and read similar reviews online.

I had laser treatment, and although expensive, I recommend it - I had 10 treatments and will now leave the house bare faced willingly. Before if I went to work without makeup, my boss used to think I had a bad case of the flu as I was so red.

I'm not sure of the name but thank you that's interesting information. My friend is only on it a month or so. Hopefully it won't fall off in effectiveness for everyone. :(

verywell wrote: »
    Anyone know if laser helps with blushing or red face from exercising? After running I am practically purple :o

No, it won't, laser will only get rid of the redness for a while but the triggers of rosacea (like exercising) will still be there.

There is a new treatment out in pharmacies now, Rossoseq, it's on the McCabes pharmacy website. I'd strongly recommend any of you here looking for answers to questions, take a look at rosacea.org. Great resource

Has anyone tried rosex or by-mycin? hOw did ye find them? Went to my Dr and he prescribed me them.

Advertisement