Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€1m Savings

Options
  • 10-04-2014 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

I was looking for some information.

If you wanted to save €1m in a capital guaranteed account.

What interest would you expect to get and how much tax would you pay on that interest.

Any advice would be great as its part of a study I am doing, comparing returns of investments.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Tidyweb wrote: »
    I was looking for some information.

If you wanted to save €1m in a capital guaranteed account.

What interest would you expect to get and how much tax would you pay on that interest.

Any advice would be great as its part of a study I am doing, comparing returns of investments.
    The five year euro swap rate is around 0.96% so that could be a good place to start for the "risk free rate". You'd need to look at deposit rates for banks or even government bond yields

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Tidyweb

would 1% risk free -tax free be considered a good return?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Russ T Banger

Nope, inflation will gnaw away at it, invest in govt bonds, blue chips etc

Aim for 40% Equity investments, 50% Bonds and fixed income, 10% in cash. Tailor those percentages to your risk appetite

Yes - I know what you mean.

But if you wanted a totally risk free investment for - lets say €200K.

Would 1% be considered a good return after tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Russ T Banger

Yes - I know what you mean.

But if you wanted a totally risk free investment for - lets say €200K.

No, again inflation. divide it up into the portfolio allocation i suggested tailored to your risk appetite youd do better son

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Inflation is 0.50% in Europe and about 0.20% in Ireland, so 1.00% beats inflation. Inflation obviously could go higher or lower.

1.00% is a poor return considering that you could get 2.50% gross AER fixed less 24 EUR in fees per year with a term deposit with KBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

OP start by reading and understanding this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nominal_interest_rate

Nominal interest rate vs Real interest rate

http://www.statesavings.ie/Pages/NoLimitonSavings.aspx

If you look at other state savings the return seems to be alot less

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Inflation is higher so it's a negative real return. DIRT needs to be deducted too.

p.s. There no such thing as risk free. Banks can and do fail, and so do countries.

I mean is this a good return versus other risk free investments - not relative to inflation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Someone who has managed to accumulate €1m would not consider 1% net to be a good return.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I mean is this a good return versus other risk free investments - not relative to inflation

Do you understand that risk free rate of return is a theory that exists only in the minds of finance profs....

Advertisement