Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Commentator

• 10-04-2014 10:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭

Just watching the football tonight got me thinking who is the best football commentator out there. Have to say I love Jon Champion he would be one of my favourites, also loved the chap who used to do the Cup Winners Cup games on ITV years ago, always done the Arsenal games, his name escapes me at the minute.

So whos your favourite commentator?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Trevor Welch.

/thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Champion main
    Kerr Co

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

George Hamilton.

Favorite co-commentator would be Jim Beglin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Are you talking about the late Brian Moore who was on iTv for years?

Barry Davies was always my favourite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

My favourite was Peter Brackley when he commentated on Football Italia.

Brian Moore and Barry Davies would be after him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Are you talking about the late Brian Moore who was on iTv for years?

Barry Davies was always my favourite

Brian Moore thats the man, what a voice he had, brilliant commentator.

As a co com I always likes Ron Atkinson and David Pleat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I like Will Downing on Setanta. Very knowledgeable and not sanctimonious. I think Guy Mowbray is decent enough.

Barry Davies was the best of the lot. He was shafted at the BBC. He was a far superior commentator to Motson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I like alan smith and the cheeky "well done young" ray wilkins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Peter Jones RIP, took ill during commentary and passed the microphone to his co commentator he was having a stroke and died later that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Trevor Welch.

/thread

His uncanny ability to talk about Liverpool when he's commentating on games in competitions they aren't even competing in is breathtaking.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

John motson would be one of my favourites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Alan Green BBC Five live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

The paedo chap on the BBC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

nullzero wrote: »
    His uncanny ability to talk about Liverpool when he's commentating on games in competitions they aren't even competing in is breathtaking.

I find his skill at talking about the wrong player or creating new names for players to be much maligned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Ger Canning. Obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Martin Tyler for me.

Love the way he loses it when a cracker is scored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I don't like any of them tbh. There's at least one major annoying trait with them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Yeah Peter Jones was the king of commentators.

I find Alan Green has regressed over the years, should stick to commentating which is what he was good at. Now tries to be judge and jury like the co-commentators.

Mike Ingham is probably best of the current bunch imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Barry Davies was always my favourite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I like Clive Tyldsley at ITV

The one I dislike the most is that guy JP at MOTD at the BBC, think he is there chief commentator - hate is pompous OTT commentary - Brian Kerr is pretty woeful as a co-commentator.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Love the ITV commentating duo, think its Peter Drury and Andy Townsend

Brian Moore for me brought that golden voice to football commentary. I like Martin Tyler and i think both Clive Tyldesey and Peter Drury bring certain qualities to the microphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

Grew up with John Motson, my absolute stone wall favourite. Special mention to Brian Moore, another legend of football commentating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Niall Quinn

Hugh Johns commentating on this one for ITV back in 70-71. Asa Hartford scored at both ends for and against West Brom. Loved the commentators reaction to the og

"He is sick sick sick sick sick" :D 6.20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Gmol wrote: »
    Peter Jones RIP, took ill during commentary and passed the microphone to his co commentator he was having a stroke and died later that day.

Yes, that was during the Boat Race one year. He was a fine commentator RIP.

I always liked Barry Davies' style. Authoritative and informative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Motty and Barry Davies always remind me of being allowed stay up late to watch Match of the Day every Saturday night after the Late Late Show.

A few years later, they returned to our house via illegal deflectors and a 'BBC aerial'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Trevor Welch.

/thread

Incredibly, unbelievably bad.

Unfortunately the "three Stewart Dowings" clip which shows what an incompetent dud he is has been removed from YouTube.

Truly awful, don't know how he has kept his job.

Favorite commentator would probably be Motty, seems to have the voice for it, knows when to delegate and always manages to ramp up the excitement.

George Hamilton is very good too "oh dear!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Peter Brackley and Gary Bloom. Fantastic commentators and great knowledge of the game too.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Brackley for me as well.

The majority are annoying and if I could have the option of turning off the commentary, but have the crowd sound remain, that would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

thebaz wrote: »
    I like Clive Tyldsley at ITV

The one I dislike the most is that guy JP at MOTD at the BBC, think he is there chief commentator - hate is pompous OTT commentary - Brian Kerr is pretty woeful as a co-commentator.

Guy Mobray got the last WC final and does the England matches.I think he's their No1 now. Don't like Pearse myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

mewe wrote: »
    Ger Canning. Obviously.

Especially when he does the less glamourous WC matches and calls "sideline balls" the absolute muldoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Brackley for me as well.

The majority are annoying and if I could have the option of turning off the commentary, but have the crowd sound remain, that would be great.

Think sky trialled that in the early days. We used to have it at home, but listening to my dad tell me how bad everyone on the pitch was far worse than even Tyldesley and Townsend.

Edit: Didn't the BBC try it on their red button service for a couple of games too, where you could choose tv, radio or no commentary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

George Hamilton + World Cup = win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

Would love that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

George Hamilton the best around at present imo.

Barry Davies was the best commentator I can remember (for anything he was turning his hand too). Had a brilliant ability to not overshadow the action - you were aware of what he said without being focussed on anything he was saying over the action if that makes sense.

Motson and Campion are hideous, and too many current commentators grate for one reason or another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Big shout out to Brian Moore, but George Hamilton for me. I don't care what anybody here says.

"Houghtonnnn. One nil."

"Oh Whelannnn. Aaand Ronnie Whelan's done it."

"A nation holds it's breath. WE'RE THERE!!"

"McAteeeeeer"

The bloke gets stick, but he's my favourite commentator of all time. He's been there for the good times and the bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Jon Champion is the worst. He never stops with his stupid sarcastic comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

George Hamilton has been the man for so many of the great (and bad) moments in Irish football that he wins hands down for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I always liked Andy Gray's commentary. More for the sound not what he actually says, not a fan of the man himself either. Super Sunday isn't quite the same without the Tyler/Gray partnership.

OH YOU BEAUTY!!! WHAT A HIT SON, WHAT A HIT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Ray Hudson is great. Makes the game more enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Barry Davies was by far the best, had some great commentaries in his day, "Samways to his right, Lineker uses him by not using him"......"Is Gascoigne gonna have a crack, he is you know.....OHHHHH I SAY.....that is Schoolboys own stuff!" :D

Brian Moore was very good too but the two pieces of his commentary that stick in my mind were goals against Liverpool :(

Obviously the "Thomas....it's up for grabs now!" piece but also an equaliser by Steve Hodge in a 2-2 draw (Liverpool were 2-0 up after a brace from Rush) and I always found the commentary funny, "Flicked in there....towards Hodge who's in there.....AND IT'S IN THERE FROM STEVIE HODGE!"

Never liked Moston, has this ability to sound like he is singing his commentary at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Michael Owen :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

The guy who did the Celtic commentaries on JustinTV :pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Think sky trialled that in the early days. We used to have it at home, but listening to my dad tell me how bad everyone on the pitch was far worse than even Tyldesley and Townsend.

Edit: Didn't the BBC try it on their red button service for a couple of games too, where you could choose tv, radio or no commentary

You can occasionally find no commentary on some streams, but it's rare enough sadly and usually for more obscure leagues. I vaguely remember Sky had the option for turning it off myself, it was via the red button when fanzone commentary used to be available as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

The paedo chap on the BBC.

Stuart Hall was quite good, now commentating on Wormwood Scubs vs Brixton.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I'm surprised Martin Tyler has only gotten one nod in 3 pages, for me he is the voice behind so many football memories. Gerrard in 2004 and Solskjaer (FA Cup) in 1999 are two big ones, even when theres not such significant goals flying in he's spot on. Its also not because Sky have most of the games, I cant say the same for a single other Sky commentator.

Edit: I somehow forgot "Its a wonderful run from Giggs!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Anyone old enough to remember Dave Higson on Fantasy Football. Shining... like a light.

worth it for 30 seconds in alone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

I really like Darragh Maloney, but he doesnt seem to be doing much commentary these days, has a great voice for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

patmac wrote: »
    Stuart Hall was quite good, now commentating on Wormwood Scubs vs Brixton.

I could never stand Stuart Hall. Bullsh!tter of the highest order. It's why the La Liga thread is ruined by a certain poster. Absolute grandiose nonsense just to stand out and pretend to be better than others by spouting complete crap.

• Advertisement
Advertisement